• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDamn

Interesting... did you also see one of the comments with the link to Sony Japan page, where it states RDNA. Why doesn't it say RDNA2? What do the insiders think of this?

AMD themselves don't seem all that clear on the distinction between RDNA, Navi, RDNA2 and next gen RDNA - so how is anyone else meant to be? :messenger_winking:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting... did you also see one of the comments with the link to Sony Japan page, where it states RDNA. Why doesn't it say RDNA2? What do the insiders think of this?

MS’s said that as well early on after the Wired article from Sony.

AMD doesn’t even really break it down with the 2 either. It’s just called RDNA, the 2 will mainly be talking points more than registered trademarked like RDNA blanket is.

They will just put their revisions in the card specs like GCN, GCN 1.1, etc..

Maybe Sony finally bought Remedy just so Control would be considered a 1st party game and they will have something else to put in PSNow while their other 1st party studios are busy porting their games to pc before all going to gamepass! Heh

Huh?

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

AMD themselves don't seem all that clear on the distinction between RDNA, Navi, RDNA2 and next gen RDNA - so how is anyone else meant to be? :messenger_winking:
Curiously, the Reddit rumor says RDNA 2 is EXCLUSIVE to Xbox and PC. 🤔

'They show off their raytracing solution, built together with AMD for native DXR hardware support. 30 to 50 % more efficient (depending on workload/use case) than RTX implementation of DXR. RDNA2 was created exclusively for Microsoft and high power Radeon GPUs, includes deep learning AI for upscaling, animation interpolation (adding 60 fps support to 30 fps games) and highly varied NPC intelligence.'

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
So Control to PS Now before Game Pass? or is it also available in Game Pass and also didn't Phil Spencer say Control will be joining gamepass?
I mean, Sony did have the deal for the exclusive pre-order DLC and such, so I guess it could make sense to have the game come to PSNow first.

pd9696

Neo Member
T0mzqQR.jpg

'They show off their raytracing solution, built together with AMD for native DXR hardware support. 30 to 50 % more efficient (depending on workload/use case) than RTX implementation of DXR. RDNA2 was created exclusively for Microsoft and high power Radeon GPUs, includes deep learning AI for upscaling, animation interpolation (adding 60 fps support to 30 fps games) and highly varied NPC intelligence.'
If it's exclusive to Xbox, why does PS5 have RDNA 2 features like ray tracing?

LED Guy?

Banned

No, AMD just confirmed this......this quote is straight from AMD themselves.

"AMD AS A COMPANY…STRONGLY BELIEVES IN THE VALUE AND CAPABILITY OF RAYTRACING. RDNA 2, THE NEXT-GEN, WILL SUPPORT RAYTRACING. BOTH THE NEXT-GEN XBOX AND PLAYSTATION WILL SUPPORT HARDWARE RAYTRACING WITH RADEON NATIVELY. WE WILL BE SURE TO HAVE THE CONTENT THAT GAMERS CAN ACTUALLY USE TO RUN ON THOSE GPUS"

"WE BELIEVE IN OUR RAYTRACING, AND WE WILL HAVE IT WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT."

Mithun Chandrashekhar, Product Management Lead, AMD.

Neo Blaster

"AMD AS A COMPANY…STRONGLY BELIEVES IN THE VALUE AND CAPABILITY OF RAYTRACING. RDNA 2, THE NEXT-GEN, WILL SUPPORT RAYTRACING. BOTH THE NEXT-GEN XBOX AND PLAYSTATION WILL SUPPORT HARDWARE RAYTRACING WITH RADEON NATIVELY. WE WILL BE SURE TO HAVE THE CONTENT THAT GAMERS CAN ACTUALLY USE TO RUN ON THOSE GPUS"

Thank God we only need to wait 2 days to know the truth. 🙏

DrDamn

Could you post links rather than screen grabs please? Big long pictures are messing up my page viewing. Ta.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Its says that both RDNA2 and the next gen (Xbox and PS5) will support RT. It doesn't say that all next-gen is RDNA2. PS5 could be RDNA1 with some RDNA2 features. No reason to believe it isn't RDNA2 because it could very well be, but until confirmed by Sony themselves, all we know is that it is RDNA1.

ethomaz

Banned

Before Feb MS just said RDNA too just like that old Sony article.

Banned
If it's exclusive to Xbox, why does PS5 have RDNA 2 features like ray tracing?

because raytracing has nothing to do with RDNA2.
there will most likely be RDNA2 graphics cards on PC with no Raytracing, just like there are Nvidia "Turing" graphics cards with no Raytracing.

it just happens that RDNA2 graphics cards will be the first to have added RayTracing hardware... that's literally all it is.

LED Guy?

Banned
Its says that both RDNA2 and the next gen (Xbox and PS5) will support RT. It doesn't say that all next-gen is RDNA2. PS5 could be RDNA1 with some RDNA2 features. No reason to believe it isn't RDNA2 because it could very well be, but until confirmed by Sony themselves, all we know is that it is RDNA1.
No reason it would be RDNA 1, they even put PS5 and XSX on the same sentence, it wouldn't be RDNA 2.

RaySoft

Look at the date on the page.. Hint: It's old (2019年10月8日)
It's from the time around the Wired articles where they said RDNA. For a more specific description, we have to wait for the announcement.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

No, we know it is RDNA, we don’t know the version. RDNA is a blanket microarchitecture much like GCN was. You only saw the versions on the card specs themselves or console breakdowns, AMD always used the blanket (umbrella) term for the architecture family.

there will most likely be RDNA2 graphics cards on PC with no Raytracing, just like there are Nvidia "Turing" graphics cards with no Raytracing.

it just happens that RDNA2 graphics cards will be the first to have added RayTracing hardware... that's literally all it is.
RT and VRS are 80% of RDNA 2 and other 20% is 7nm EUV

ethomaz

Banned

AMD themselves says RDNA 2 is the revision of RDNA to add support to Ray-tracing lol
That since RDNA release.

Last edited:

Banned
RT and VRS are 80% of RDNA 2 and other 20% is 7nm EUV

Raytracing is still only circumstantially part of RDNA2 simply because this is how long it took AMD to react to Nvidia.

there is nothing about RDNA2 that makes it Raytracing compatible... it might have optimisations to support it better but that's about it

Banned
amd disagrees with you. AMD main point for RDNA 2 is RT

no this actually agrees with my point. this tells me RDNA2 is basically the same as RDNA1, with the only difference being the manufacturing process.

this tells you that the raytracing hardware is basically just an attachment to an existing architecture.

I bet RDNA2 is also a bit more efficient but the raytracing hardware is not married to RDNA2 it just happens to hit the market at the same time as RDNA2 does

Last edited:

splattered

Eh? I thought people analyzed this article and debunked it as a misquote or cherry picking or something?

FeiRR

Banned
PS Now isn't even available everywhere. If Sony wants to push that service, they should do something about it. I have no data caps so I can download whatever I want but, well. That's why I got Game Pass.

PS Now isn't even available everywhere. If Sony wants to push that service, they should do something about it. I have no data caps so I can download whatever I want but, well. That's why I got Game Pass.
i m sure by end of this year it will be available everywhere

mm3188-at

Neo Member
So here in Austria it is just before 3 p.m. and we still have March 3rd. If an announcement comes, then today at 10 or 11 p.m. in the evening of my time (Central European Time). It has always been that way. Right or am I right?

Of course the question arises, why should Sony announce something today or this week?

Shio

You know how companies buy timed exclusivity for games and as such are only allowed to mention said games and their competitor (even though they may still be getting the game at a later time) is not allowed to mention it.... What if there was such a thing (there might be?) in regards to hardware?? What if there was some deal where only one party was allowed to mention specifics on hardware for a set amount of time (drum up publicity) and the other party was not. Then after that set time bam.. they are allowed to reveal the details. Only to find out that the details between the two parties were the same all along!. The exclusivity period allows the party to build up positive publicity and spread misinformation towards the other party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom