• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to Halo - where do I start?

Scotty W

Gold Member
1 can be kind of a pain cuz everything looks the same. 2 is not fun, with an absurd story about some alien arbiter that they jabber on about. 3 is really good, but I thought that
Master Chief died at the end
, not sure how they managed to make sequels but there are a few games after that, but I mever played em.

Kokoloko85

Halo 1, then 2, 3 ODST and Reach.
I didnt enjoy 4 and 5 but try them for yourselves.
Enjoy, the Bungie Halo Games are amazing

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

In release order. Halo 4 isn't really good but I had my moments with it. Halo 5 I quit because its like a worse 4 with the same boring interiors.

Halo 3 was amazing on the MCC. I never liked the original much but the improved IQ and framerate really helps. Fun romp.

Iced Arcade

Just do them in order.

Is a lot of story you won't get and might feel like "did I miss something" because they made the Halo-verse so big with story arcs and such stemming from the books and such.

Play co-op with someone too

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Just do them in order.

Is a lot of story you won't get and might feel like "did I miss something" because they made the Halo-verse so big with story arcs and such stemming from the books and such.

Play co-op with someone too
Is there online campaign co op?

Last edited by a moderator:

TLZ

Banned
Even though I've been playing Xbox games since the OG, I've never played a Halo game.

Hopefully I'll go through them soon. Thanks for all the suggestions here too.

PooBone

so I'm downloading Halo MCC and Halo 5 via gamepass on my XSX. I've never played a Halo game. I had 2 questions:

1. What Halo games should I play the single player campaign on? Should I just start at Halo Reach? Is Halo CE even worth playing since I have no nostalgia for it and it's like 20 years old? Is Halo Reach even worth playing nowadays given that is a 10 year old FPS?

2. What Halo games are the best for multiplayer? Which has the strongest community? Halo 5? I also heard from a fellow member that the social community on Halo MCC is great. Which Halo games on MCC are the most popular?

Basically it seems like a lot of the value of MCC comes from the nostalgia of replaying these older games. I'm just wondering what games will provide the most fun in 2020 for someone who has no memories of the franchise growing up.
Halo 1, 2, 3, then decide if you want to spend time with ODST and/or Reach before moving on to 4.

And yes CE is still worth playing. It’s still the best of the campaigns.

Don’t worry about which games’ multiplayer to check out, MCC’s matchmaking will handle that. Maybe just avoid CE’s in the boxes where you can check which game(s) to play.

Södy

Shoot small groups of Elites, Grunts, and Jackals. Throw grenades. Time melee attacks right after you empty your clip.

ExhaustedDrearyBighornsheep-max-1mb.gif
similar =! same

h0ghead

Yeah I wouldn't recommend playing Reach first. It'll skew your view of the classic trilogy's gameplay. CE has the best campaign missions IMO, so don't skip it.

wvnative

Sorry to bump but i didn't want to make a topic just to ask, my friend has MCC on steam, i have the MCC on xbox one, can we cross play the campaign in co-op? i can't find a clear answer if the steam version is cross play

Sorry to bump but i didn't want to make a topic just to ask, my friend has MCC on steam, i have the MCC on xbox one, can we cross play the campaign in co-op? i can't find a clear answer if the steam version is cross play

Last I heard they couldn't get it working but implied it was coming in a future update. Can't find any post saying its been added yet tho.

Top Bottom