• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Boss: The Tragedy of Modern Halo

Draugoth

Gold Member
I miss old Halo...

The video is from a channel that mimics Internet Historian style videos but makes mostly stuff on video-games. Video below is a dosie on what happend to Halo and 343.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
35 minute video with no synopsis from the OP.

How do you expect most people to have a comment that contributes to the conversation?

I can guess what was said but im not watching the whole video in order to come up with this comment, so if I'm totally off it's the OP's fault.

The tragedy in Halo comes from a couple of sources. First, the industry has largely outgrown the way Halo plays. With games like COD and Apex, battle-royales and the like taking over the shooter genre, Halo has done little to nothing to try and adapt to the new audience.

Secondly, Halo has yet to nail a full salvo of game modes since Reach. Halo 5 was good multiplayer, bad campaign. Infinite was good campaign, lackluster multiplayer, no co-op at launch and no Forge.

Toss in some mediocre Seasonal content for the first 2 seasons and no update on the campaign, Halo's last hope is the revitalization using UE5.

That about sums it up, Bob.

nkarafo

Video is already spewing false facts early on. Claims the controller scheme was a Halo first.

So basically this

FmEKxFKXwAM4hn1.jpg

Video is already spewing false facts early on. Claims the controller scheme was a Halo first.
I thought Halo standardized/popularized it but it wasn’t the first, right? I still remember the jank of PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast shooters before Halo, and there were way more missses than hits when it came to control schemes.

nkarafo

I thought Halo standardized/popularized it but it wasn’t the first, right? I still remember the jank of PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast shooters before Halo, and there were way more missses than hits when it came to control schemes.

N64 fps games had d-pad for movement/strafe and analog for aim ever since it's first fps, Turok. Pretty much ALL N64 fps games have that scheme, just not as the default all the time.

Goldeneye even has a real dual analog mode.

tylrdiablos

N64 fps games had d-pad for movement/strafe and analog for aim ever since it's first fps, Turok. Pretty much ALL N64 fps games have that scheme, just not as the default all the time.

I remember N64 games (GoldenEye & Perfect Dark mostly) using the C-Buttons for look-up/look-down and side-stepping, but not sure the D-Pad was used much?

nkarafo

I remember N64 games (GoldenEye & Perfect Dark mostly) using the C-Buttons for look-up/look-down and side-stepping, but not sure the D-Pad was used much?

Just hold the controller from the left side. And use the 1.2 Solitare scheme from the options.

Congrats, you are now playing Goldeneye like a modern shooter (left thumb = move+ strafe, right thumb = turn + aim, right index = shoot, left index = crosshair).

That's how i was playing FPS games since 1997. Modern dual analog controls were a second nature to me since then.

Last edited:

giphy.webp

I was expecting you to say something like Medal of Honor on PS1/PS2 or something man lol. Of all the examples you use, the N64 is one of the worst. It didn’t standardize anything but using a 3d joystick for movement. First person shooters had to be built differently on it because of how oddly that controller was built. I remember how awkward games like Doom 64, Turok, and Goldeneye/PD felt even though they had really good level design. Also the dual joystick thing doesn’t work if you’re playing with 4 players….That entire console’s control scheme felt experimental at best.

nkarafo

It didn’t standardize anything but using a 3d joystick for movement.

For you maybe. Your fault for never checking the control options.

I played zero N64 FPS games like this. I played all of them with D-Pad for movement and the analog for aim/turn.

...because of how oddly that controller was built.

This is funny.... Because of the way it's built, the N64 controller is the ONLY single analog controller that can do this scheme.

Last edited:
For you maybe. Your fault for never checking the control options.
Then you would have to blame the millions who didn’t too. You can’t do math like this based on exceptions. You have to factor in the averages. The average person would not change the control scheme to a dpad-based one, plug in two controllers, or turn their controller to the side.
I played zero N64 FPS games like this. I played all of them with D-Pad for movement and the analog for aim/turn.
That’s good for you and you alone.

I miss the original trilogy with slow movement speed and half a dozen weapons. Simple to play, difficult to master. I tried getting into Infinite and it was a bunch of shitty maps with zoomers grapple spamming and using superpowers and dabbing. What a convoluted bag of shit this franchise has become.

What's going to happen with the future of Halo?

I've heard rumors that it's pretty much done for and that there's nothing really new going to come to Halo Infinite.

This used to be the flagship title of Xbox. The games in the lore really cool so it's sad to see what's happening with it because of mismanagement.

PotatoBoy

Halo never really reinvented itself like other flagship long-standing franchises. It's all kind of the "same game." Compared to Final Fantasy or Zelda, Halo has just always just been the same shit every time, like Dynasty Warriors. Even basic dumb person games like CoD or Battlefield will dramatically shake up their settings to try and keep things fresh.

tylrdiablos

Red Faction on the PS2 used analogs.

And never forget!
YLRSDSxa1pThgjpjVQAhxU6KFSnV9y9nl4JQACvXt6g.png
Oh man, the other day I was trying to think which game was earliest to introduce a sensible dual-stick movement scheme.
I could remember Halo 1 having it, and being comfortable to play, but I was sure there were FPS/dual stick games before it.
Ape Escape made a big deal about use of the dual-shock (?) sticks but the left stick was to move the character and the right stick was for whichever gadget you had equipped.
Wasn't there a Quake (2?) on PSX? Christ... down the rabbit hole I go...

Top Bottom