• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tesla Bot Optimus - Gen 2

Spyxos

Gold Member

New bot in town! Optimus Gen 2 features Tesla-designed actuators and sensors, faster and more capable hands, faster walking, lower total weight, articulated neck, and more.

Tesla Bot​

Create a general purpose, bi-pedal, autonomous humanoid robot capable of performing unsafe, repetitive or boring tasks. Achieving that end goal requires building the software stacks that enable balance, navigation, perception and interaction with the physical world. We’re hiring deep learning, computer vision, motion planning, controls, mechanical and general software engineers to solve some of our hardest engineering challenges.

It's scary how quickly they have developed. The thing couldn't even walk 2 years ago. In addition to Ai, there are now robots that can do almost anything.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
gdg5dq1mvmwa1.gif

E-Cat

The thing couldn't even walk 2 years ago.
That's an understatement, supposedly development on the robot didn't even begin until Feb-Apr '22.

Edit: To clarify, that's referring to getting the Gen-0 robot up and running for AI Day 2. I'm sure they had done preliminary work before that. In fact, at AI Day 1 in 2021 they already had some fairly granular details like the "number of actuators":

Of course, those things are probably in a constant flux; but they had some idea even back then. But the thing about Tesla is that they work a lot faster than other companies, at least when it comes to iterating on automotive designs. And that does seem to extend to robotics. Just compare their pace to that of Boston Dynamics.

But the part that people really don't get is that Optimus isn't designed to be "flashy", but manufacturable and able to perform economically useful work at the factory asap. That's why Tesla probably aren't concerned about making it have a human-like gait just yet instead of the Asimo-esque "shitting its pants" stroll. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. At mass production scale, Tesla are aiming at a marginal cost of less than $20k/robot. That's revolutionary, and enabled by things like every actuator being custom designed and built by Tesla themselves. And just sheer volume, because those robots are gonna make their cost back in labor over time.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
The first one was a robot suit with a small dude inside right?

Hard to see how this could move better than that

I like its Joe Biden-setting.

CIv94hv.gif

I have to wonder if it's a design issue at the hips/waist in why so many robots are designed like that where the forward/backward motion for the legs is placed that low. It's always that area where I have the uncanny valley effect as the upper body generally checks out but the lower half is just weird.

Top Bottom