• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Saints Row Trailer

Nigel

"We worked really hard to build on the diversity of the characters"
"You have Nina, who is this muscle badass and is driving around in her cars."
"You have Eli, who loves his podcasts."
"You have Kev, who loves to cook and that's his biggest thing, he loves to cook.

No Johnny Gat.. The Saints now have a podcast and love to cook! - Twitch

9hKiFq5.jpg

Unk Adams

Banned
Anyone who says that the original two Saints Row games were just GTA ripoffs completely misunderstood those games. They were inspired by GTA but far from ripoffs. They had their own 2000's Chicago street gang vibe that no GTA game had. Saints Row didn't find their identity with The Third - they abandoned it.

Also, comparing Saints Row the Thirds sales to the first two games is disingenuous considering Saints Row 1 was an early 360 exclusive and even the sequel were released when the consoles had smaller install bases and digital gaming didn't take off on consoles yet. Saints Row 1 & 2 had higher attach rates when we look at percentages at the time the games were released and digital gaming wasn't yet mainstream. By the time The Third was released the series already built up a positive reception, it was released on more platforms with huge install bases and it was constantly on sale digitally throughout the years for like $5 which leads to tons of impulse buys by people who purchase it and never even bothering installing it. Maybe if they kept the same direction then Saints Row 3 would have outsold The Third for all we know by that point in time, but we'll never know because the developers abandoned the fanbase that made the series a success in the first place.

They even removed online multiplayer starting with the Third Third which were arguably the best parts of the first two games. Saints Row 1 & 2's multiplayer was up there with games like Gears of War and Halo 3 during that generation and the developers just abandoned it because I guess they were lazy and decided to give us less content and shit on the fans that supported them for years and got their new IP off the ground to begin with. Saints Row IV then later decided to go the Crackdown route and tried way too hard to be wacky and funny.

So this announcement is really not surprising if you've been following this series for the years. Saints Row 1 and especially 2's quality were probably a fluke considering that everything else the developers has put out after has pretty much been garbage. Just look at this trash, it's a disgrace to not only the series but gaming in general. This game seems meant to appeal to Fortnite fans and your average Redditor who lacks any decent taste and loves and defends any ugly, soulless corporate trash that is forced on them.

Rheon

I already know exactly what this game will be about based on that shitty trailer.

Also, I'm super fucking tired of this generic artstyle that's trendy right now. This looks like an unholy mix of that new Arkane game, WD Legion, Fortnite and a million other games with a similar aesthetic.

GHG

squarealex

So this announcement is really not surprising if you've been following this series for the years. Saints Row 1 and especially 2's quality were probably a fluke considering that everything else the developers has put out after has pretty much been garbage. Just look at this trash, it's a disgrace to not only the series but gaming in general. This game seems meant to appeal to Fortnite fans and your average Redditor who lacks any decent taste and loves and defends any ugly, soulless corporate trash that is forced on them.
Saints Row 2 was developped before the first (I mean, the project is more ambitious than the first game and took more time). I don't think is "lucky"... just one big project divided on two game.

Maybe they're no original team developpers on SR1 and 2 on volition after the third

At the same time... Idol Ninja (CM and biggest creator of SR2 mods), also owned a recent source code PC of SR2 for a potential remaster. He just passed away... the news Saints Row litteraly killed him.... (He having a cancer)

Last edited:
yea bunch of people left that worked on the first 2, then more after 3rd etc. First 2 were great, 3rd was alright, the upgrade app system was wack tho. I liked actually doing activities to earn bonuses. The app system felt like I was accessing a mod menu and just switching on health upgrades rather than unlocking them.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
They had their own 2000's Chicago street gang vibe that no GTA game had.
oh no, Chicago street gang vs. California street gang, makes the game so different.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Originals

The first two SR games are so very obvious inspired by the style of San Andreas, you have to cap really hard to not see it. People back than said it was the next gen San Andreas and they did so for obvious reasons.

It's okay to accept something is a copy without doing mental gymnastics. Doesn't make the game bad. I fully accept Crash Team Racing to be a Mario Kart clone and personally I like that game better than most Mario Kart games. It's still a clone.

Also, comparing Saints Row the Thirds sales to the first two games is disingenuous considering Saints Row 1 was an early 360 exclusive and even the sequel were released when the consoles had smaller install bases and digital gaming didn't take off on consoles yet. Saints Row 1 & 2 had higher attach rates when we look at percentages at the time the games were released and digital gaming wasn't yet mainstream. By the time The Third was released the series already built up a positive reception, it was released on more platforms with huge install bases and it was constantly on sale digitally throughout the years for like $5 which leads to tons of impulse buys by people who purchase it and never even bothering installing it. Maybe if they kept the same direction then Saints Row 3 would have outsold The Third for all we know by that point in time, but we'll never know because the developers abandoned the fanbase that made the series a success in the first place

Thats speculative in the highest regard, but just to let you know: Saints Row: The Third sold most of its units in the first year, way before the rereleases on other platforms and way before you could get the game for 5 bucks. Not to mention that Saint's Row 2 was also very often on sale. You can get it right now on Steam for 10 bucks. Before the Saint's Row 3 Remaster it was literally on the same platforms too. Now I am not saying that the bigger install base and the positive reception didn't help, but the momentum moved over to SR4 that had the biggest opening week of any SR game and possibly even outsold SR3.

RavageX

Theres always going to be a strong divide of people that like Sr 1 and 2 and hated the others(like me), and the ones that preferred the others.

This looks like all the other "modern" games now. Fortnite and all that other generic junk.

I figured it would be like this, but with the original story...and now I see it's not even that.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
"We worked really hard to build on the diversity of the characters"
"You have Nina, who is this muscle badass and is driving around in her cars."
"You have Eli, who loves his podcasts."
"You have Kev, who loves to cook and that's his biggest thing, he loves to cook.

No Johnny Gat.. The Saints now have a podcast and love to cook! - Twitch

9hKiFq5.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, you had me on the first par... Wait what? That was an actual response from the devs when asked about returning characters??

Unk Adams

Banned
oh no, Chicago street gang vs. California street gang, makes the game so different.

The first two SR games are so very obvious inspired by the style of San Andreas, you have to cap really hard to not see it. People back than said it was the next gen San Andreas and they did so for obvious reasons.

It's okay to accept something is a copy without doing mental gymnastics. Doesn't make the game bad. I fully accept Crash Team Racing to be a Mario Kart clone and personally I like that game better than most Mario Kart games. It's still a clone.

Thats speculative in the highest regard, but just to let you know: Saints Row: The Third sold most of its units in the first year, way before the rereleases on other platforms and way before you could get the game for 5 bucks. Not to mention that Saint's Row 2 was also very often on sale. You can get it right now on Steam for 10 bucks. Before the Saint's Row 3 Remaster it was literally on the same platforms too. Now I am not saying that the bigger install base and the positive reception didn't help, but the momentum moved over to SR4 that had the biggest opening week of any SR game and possibly even outsold SR3.
There actually is a big difference between an early 90's California gang setting and a 2000's Chicago gang setting. Saints Row was obviously inspired by GTA but is by no means a clone. If you want a San Andreas clone then take a look at something like this:

ps2_25_to_life-110214.jpg

Saints Row vs GTA is like comparing Tekken to Dead or Alive, Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest, etc. They're only the same if you don't understand the nuance between the different series.

Also, I don't see proof that the series sold better over time. I found a source that claims these are the sales figures for the series:

Saints Row - 2 million
Saints Row 2 - 3.4 million
Saints Row the Third - 5.5 Million
Saints Row IV - N/A other than it hit at least a million and then no reports after

Someone even claimed that 2 outsold IV. If IV sold so well then I don't understand why official numbers weren't posted, especially since it was released on multiple generations and had complete versions even.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
'No, the characters you like won't be back, but we've really worked hard on the diversity of the new ones!'

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

It looks horrible. And, listening to those cretinous devs talking about 'diversity' makes me want to pull my own fucking eyes out. 'This character is really into podcasts!' Get fucked.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Oh damn I thought these were just place holder characters for the trailer - not actual characters from the game. I clicked that Twitch link and Jesus's balls - what? I feel like even the nerdy teenagers they think they're targeting are like "wtf is this wack shit?".

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If you want a San Andreas clone then take a look at something like this:
There are also nuanced differences in the style and gameplay mechanics of Crash Team Racing compared to Mario Kart. It's still a clone.

Saints Row 1 in particular took a ton from GTA in almost every angle you look at it. And no, different gang culture doesn't make it not a clone. Yes, that is a difference, but not nearly as big as you are making it out to be. That's like saying Vice City is totally different than San Andreas because they have a different setting.

25 to Life is a level based third person shooter and a really bad one at that. The setting is comparable to San Andreas, but that's about it. It's not open world, it doesn't share many similar mechanics, the story is underdeveloped in comparison. It's definitely not a clone, because with the exception of the setting it doesn't share much with San Andreas. That is not the case with Saints Row.

So no, its not like comparing Tekken to Dead or Alive, Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest etc.
It is more like comparing NFL 2k with Madden, Need for Speed Underground with Juiced, Max Payne with Strangehold.

Also, I don't see proof that the series sold better over time. I found a source that claims these are the sales figures for the series:

Saints Row - 2 million
Saints Row 2 - 3.4 million
Saints Row the Third - 5.5 Million
Saints Row IV - N/A other than it hit at least a million and then no reports after
If IV sold so well then I don't understand why official numbers weren't posted
That's a question I can't answer, but what we do know is that Saints Row 4 had the best opening week of any game in the franchise, had a stand alone expansion, several rereleases and plenty editions. It most likely sold pretty good. Possibly better than SR3, at the very least at a similar level.

Unk Adams

Banned
There are also nuanced differences in the style and gameplay mechanics of Crash Team Racing compared to Mario Kart. It's still a clone.

Saints Row 1 in particular took a ton from GTA in almost every angle you look at it. And no, different gang culture doesn't make it not a clone. Yes, that is a difference, but not nearly as big as you are making it out to be. That's like saying Vice City is totally different than San Andreas because they have a different setting.

25 to Life is a level based third person shooter and a really bad one at that. The setting is comparable to San Andreas, but that's about it. It's not open world, it doesn't share many similar mechanics, the story is underdeveloped in comparison. It's definitely not a clone, because with the exception of the setting it doesn't share much with San Andreas. That is not the case with Saints Row.

So no, its not like comparing Tekken to Dead or Alive, Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest etc.
It is more like comparing NFL 2k with Madden, Need for Speed Underground with Juiced, Max Payne with Strangehold.

That's a question I can't answer, but what we do know is that Saints Row 4 had the best opening week of any game in the franchise, had a stand alone expansion, several rereleases and plenty editions. It most likely sold pretty good. Possibly better than SR3, at the very least at a similar level.
25 to Life was a generic urban themed game meant to try to capitalize off the success of GTA San Andreas. It tried to desperately clone the theme and feeling of the game despite not being exactly alike. Saints Row plays more similarly to GTA but it has it's own feeling despite being directly inspired by the other series. Dead or Alive and Tekken technically look and play the same to people who don't understand fighting games but anyone who knows about fighters knows that's not true. Saints Row and GTA are the same way. Strong first week sales are not indicative of the total success of a game. There's been cases where a game debuts strongly only to drop like a rock soon after.

trailer hurt more than it helped. That sucked. And i kinda like Saints Row.
also anyone mentioning Fornite must be 12, and not realize when Fortnite came out....IT LOOKED LIKE SAINTS ROW. not the other way around.

this is up there with the kids that think souls franchise invented 3rd person action games

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
25 to Life was a generic urban themed game meant to try to capitalize off the success of GTA San Andreas. It tried to desperately clone the theme and feeling of the game despite not being exactly alike. Saints Row plays more similarly to GTA but it has it's own feeling despite being directly inspired by the other series. Dead or Alive and Tekken technically look and play the same to people who don't understand fighting games but anyone who knows about fighters knows that's not true. Saints Row and GTA are the same way. Strong first week sales are not indicative of the total success of a game. There's been cases where a game debuts strongly only to drop like a rock soon after.
It very obviously was inspired by San Andreas, but it was more so an attempt to capitalize from the success that San Andreas' theme brought. San Andreas had the theme from movies such as Boyz in the Hood and Menace to Society. Around the time there were several gangster themed games and because of that its fair to say that without the success of San Andreas there wouldn't have been 25 to Life. It's definitely not a clone though. If it would offer you a sandbox with same-y gameplay mechanics, then sure. As it is though it's just a poor third person shooter capitalizing on the success of San Andreas by using the same setting.

Saint's Row clones both the gameplay mechanics and gameplay type as well as the feel. Yes, the setting has nuanced differences as they portray different gang cultures, but generally they are still handled very similarly. It is a difference but not nearly as big as you are making it out to be.

...the bolded part is true, but I don't believe that was the case for Saint's Row 4.
It was released very close to GTA V, so that may influenced the sales, but I can't find a trustful source on this subject so we can only go after the fact that the game had several releases in form of several editions, ports and even a stand alone expansion. Given this and the fact it did so good so closely to GTA V is a strong indicator that the game did pretty good. It did at least 4-5 million. I am pretty sure.

I would also like this share this:
and

According to Steamspy there are apparently 2-5 million owners on Steam. The 360 and PS3 version sold at least a million each as well. There are also the rereleases on PS4, Xbox One and more recently, the Switch. Take this with a grain of salt though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCDW

FUUUCK, I was really hoping for a solid showing with a new Saints Row. That whole trailer and its presentation looks like hot soy garbage. Still might get it if the gameplay holds up, but kind of want to vote with my wallet on this one and pass on it.

april6e

They changed the look back to old Saints Row which is good but the mood of the game seems to be like Saints Row 3+4 which spelled the death of the old series. I'm not a doomposter who will immediately call this trash without seeing gameplay...

But the gameplay teaser seriously worries me. Saints Row was much better as a GTA clone with the unique gang banging vibe that made people fall in love with Saints Row 1 and 2. At this point, I'd rather just get a Saints Row 2 remake in the new engine if they refuse to change the series back to what made it popular in the first place.

Last edited:
They changed the look back to old Saints Row which is good but the mood of the game seems to be like Saints Row 3+4 which spelled the death of the old series. I'm not a doomposter who will immediately call this trash without seeing gameplay...

But the gameplay teaser seriously worries me. Saints Row was much better as a GTA clone with the unique gang banging vibe that made people fall in love with Saints Row 1 and 2. At this point, I'd rather just get a Saints Row 2 remake in the new engine if they refuse to change the series back to what made it popular in the first place.
These devs just don't fucking get it. I hated Saints Row 3 and 4. They just can't stick to a coherent vision for the game. Saints Row 1 and 2 nailed it. They had the right idea then and should've just built on top of the world they created.
How fucking hard is it to see what worked, go back and expand on those ideas. Surely they must have the hard data on hand to see the series falling from its high in the first two entries.
Then you have to question why its falling out of favour with gamers.

Outlier

What did people expect? A rehash of the original game?

New generation + new style = new audience.

The CGI trailer and the gameplay teaser didn't show enough to sell me.

SR 1 and 2 were the best in the series for me. SR 3 was good, but lost me with it's direction, so I stopped there.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
These devs just don't fucking get it. I hated Saints Row 3 and 4. They just can't stick to a coherent vision for the game. Saints Row 1 and 2 nailed it. They had the right idea then and should've just built on top of the world they created.
How fucking hard is it to see what worked, go back and expand on those ideas. Surely they must have the hard data on hand to see the series falling from its high in the first two entries.
Then you have to question why its falling out of favour with gamers.
the data suggests that they have had more success with the route of SR3 and SR4 and critically the PC version of SR4 is the best rated with SR3 being the most even.

Connxtion

😭 I wanted a v2.1

Saints Row 2 was where it was at, stupid over the top and fun. With a crap load of secrets and mad crap 😂

Don’t get me wrong I own them all, but 3 was a disappointment, 4 was even worse and Agents of Mayhem was alright for a short time. (Got boring fast)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie, loved 3/4 played them multiple times. If SR goes woke and the raucous humor and game play goes away, well then there goes its most loyal fan base.
without the political incorrect humor and over the top gameplay it might as well be another Watch Dogs game. I don't think that one trailer is enough to judge the whole game though, but they definitely fucked up the reveal.

Top Bottom