• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryu ga Gotoku Movies

Srider

Banned
Tsutaya Stores in Japan announced today that the demo for Ryu ga Gotoku will be available Nov 17. They also set up a special site to introduce the game. The meat of which is the new promo movies they posted.

Here's the site.

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/sp/ryugagotoku/index.html?pic

Here are the links to the movies for those not versed in Japanese.

http://sb.tsutaya.co.jp/WM/game/ryugagotoku/trailer_sp_500k.asx
http://sb.tsutaya.co.jp/WM/game/ryugagotoku/adventure_sp_500k.asx
http://sb.tsutaya.co.jp/WM/game/ryugagotoku/battle_sp_500k.asx

The first movie is the trailer which was available for a while now, only thing different is a new Sega intro.
Second movie highlights the crazy amount of extra stuff you can do during the adventure part, it's pretty amazing the kinds of things that made it into the game.

The third movie highlights the battle system, and it's the most amazing clip of the three. It just have to be seen. I recommend watching it last.

Have fun.

Vashu

Aw man, I'm gonna form my own gang and head on over to the Sega Europe office if they don't bring this game over to our continent! You hear me you crazy people??!?!??!

This game looks awesome, the adventure part is like GTA and Shenmue combined, the fighting seems to be a lot like SpikeOut (which was awesome in my book) and again with influences from Shenmue. Those ingredients combined with a Yakuza sauce, and you got a really badass game. I also liked the short Punisher-esque moves you could see flashing by. Burn someones ass on a hot stove, sure is fun in my book.

You hear me JT?! I'm crrrrrazy for this game!!!! :D

Bebpo

Banned
Looks really cool.

I'm afraid to get my hopes up because of Sega these days, but if they pull this off and we get another Shenmue....... :)

J2 Cool

It's no Shenmue replacement. Guess it'll have to do, but it's not THAT great looking. Tons of variety and moves as far as fighting, but it's a definite beat-em-up system. Better than GTA offers. Also, a lot of it is obviously going for the mass appeal of "how bad ass can I get". The selling point for me is how well the virtual city is done. I'm sold if that's anywhere within Shemue or GTA's ballpark. Otherwise it's an average action game, with some cool touches.

For anyone worried about the freedom in Ryu, here's some more info on it

As with Shenmue, you have a lot of freedom in this world, from playing games in a game center, winning dolls from a UFO Catcher machine, to trying out batting practice. Other facilities include a coin locker area, a lottery ticket sales stand and a bar. The bar can only be entered once you've cleared a particular event. You can eat ice cream (although the effect is unclear at this point) at an ice cream parlor and purchase items and read magazines at a convenience store. To heal your wounds following a fight, you'll need to purchase medicine from a pharmacy.

Anyone who's visited Japan will get a kick out of some of the tie-ups Sega has worked into the game. Ryu Ga Gotoku features Suntory brand beverages, which may not sound too impressive, until you go to the bar and realize that you're drinking a Suntory draft beer. Suntory banners also appear in the game. Getting an even bigger commitment from Sega is the Don Quixote discount shop that's located in the game. In addition to looking like an actual Don Quixote shop, right down to the correct uniforms for the clerks, the game includes four language variations for the store's theme song.

In one sequence, a girl is having some trouble with a drunk guy on the street. The game gives you the option to either show the guy how to be a gentleman or just ignore the girl and go about your way. If you help the girl, she'll invite you to the bar for a quick drink. At the bar, she'll remove her coat to reveal the mega F cup that we mentioned in our original writeup. As you drink, she'll ask you a number of questions, whose answers you select from a list.

As suggested by the above example, substories are strictly optional. In another example, you discover a guy passed out on the street. Investigating, year learn that the guy has been robbed of his bag. You can either search for the criminal or just go about your way. Some of the substories lead to fights. A girl reveals to you that she's being followed by stalkers. Choosing to pursue this substory will get you into a fight with members of the yakuza.

Reality is one of the main points of the game, both Seishu and Nagoshi reveal. Nagoshi wants players to get enjoyment from merely walking through Kamurocho. Seishu, for his part, minded the details when creating the game's scenario. As part of the reality, the game does away with some of the conventions of RPGs. Instead of going to a cave in order to find an item that happens to be there, you'll go to a pharmacy or a convenience store in order to buy the item.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/650/650067p1.html

They do bring up that the camera is locked which will hold back some of the feel but overall it sounds like the gameplay options from the Shenmue are still here.

Udde

I think it's running on the shinobi engine.

:D Well done SEGA, at last an original triple A game for the PS2. Just in time.

Vashu

Oh man, after reading that IGN write-up, I'm even more excited! Ryu Ga Gotoku (preferably with this name) to Europe, Sega! Make it so! Now! Or face hundreds if not thousands of baseballbats! :D

Remedy

Banned
it sort of looks like shenmue with less polish and obviously darker. if it plays half as well im sold on it.

rareside

SolidSnakex said:
The shop music is awesome in the adventure movie. :p

The best part is that is that it's LICENSED MUSIC from an actual store in Japan, Don Quihote! I thought it sounded familiar!

Udde

FunkyTaco said:
w00t trial version coming out next week!!!

http://www.gamebrink.com/?news=34

Awesome, I can't wait to see that masterpiece on my TV :)

ryu02.jpg

ryu04.jpg

ryu05.jpg

I love so many things of this game, especially the lighting and the detail.

Jerkface

Banned
Looks amazing, I'm just unsure about the fighting because everything seems to lack any kind of weight or inertia. Punches and kicks look weak and the huge items are being swung around like they were made of polystyrene, not to mention the skating with some of the grapple moves.

Trojan X

Banned
I've probably been following this game before all of you guys, but holy crap, this is Spikeout cross with Shenmue, quite possibly the best combination ever complete with brutal animated cuts and executions!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Hot Damn! It's as if Takeshi Kitano made a videogame!

Edit: A big part of me REALLY wishes they would of motion-captured the combat moves.

Bebpo

Banned
I've been reading some impressions on the Japanese boards and it seems like the game is badass. Sounds like the battles are Final Fight finally realized in 3D and the story sections have cool characters, great dialogue, and badass voice acting.

I think I'll be grabbing the import :)

antipode said:
Still no word on a US release?

A lot of the previews imply a US release simply based on the sheer budget of the game. However an official statement hasn't been said yet. I'll be one pissed off motherfucker if this is left in Japan. Seriously, I'm clenching my first at US publishers going "COME ON. FUCKING BRING IT."

Bebpo

Banned
Would be tough to localize correctly due to the subject matter. But yeah, to make up for the budget of the game they'd need a worldwide release.

Top Bottom