• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Yazuka

A bit of a shame that we'll probably won't get the black one. Hopefully it will have a good price in Europe. Mainly Sweden.

Peagles

I would hope the pricing is decent in Europe. Here the OG 3DS launched at $450NZD iirc and the New ones have launched at $259 and $279 for smaller and XL respectively. Old XL was somewhere in between, something like $400 I think, which eventually has gone down to $329 and settled there, despite the New ones being cheaper, lol.

Peagles

A few people on another forum were asking for impressions of playing DS games on the New 3DS systems, so I took a few snaps of my systems. Overall it's what you'd expect, but someone might find these interesting or helpful anyway.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Title Screen

DSi XL
2015-01-01025616_zps67a043e8.jpg

New 3DS XL Stretched
2015-01-01025621_zpscd59ce16.jpg

New 3DS XL 1:1 Mode
2015-01-01030000_zps957811e2.jpg

DSi
2015-01-01025854_zpsb1e08914.jpg

New 3DS Stretched
2015-01-01025849_zps784a4e70.jpg

New 3DS 1:1 Mode
2015-01-01025953_zps41d6d02a.jpg

Metroid Prime Hunters
Title Screen

DSi XL
2015-01-01031229_zps54a6c2a1.jpg

New 3DS XL Stretched
2015-01-01030925_zps7f4c3a50.jpg

In Game

DSi XL
2015-01-01031343_zpsaf7c978b.jpg

New 3DS XL Stretched
2015-01-01031045_zps7ab67e5f.jpg

Metal Slug 7
Title Screen

DSi XL
2015-01-01030939_zpsf9dc8a66.jpg

New 3DS XL Stretched
2015-01-01031240_zpsbf8fa65a.jpg

In Game

DSi XL
2015-01-01031112_zps394f0faf.jpg

New 3DS XL Stretched
2015-01-01031312_zpsb2d6b24d.jpg

And lastly, some size comparisons showing how much screen real estate you get/lose with each mode...

New 3DS XL vs New 3DS
2015-01-01030357_zps7b189a16.jpg

DSi vs New 3DS
2015-01-01030128_zpsf562b3c9.jpg

DSi vs New 3DS XL
2015-01-01030252_zps9331ff1f.jpg

Corgi

Banned
2015... which means this should hit US soon... bah still can't decide, XL or normal. Not sure if I can go 'down' from XL (and pretty much every handheld i have atm is 5" screen or bigger).

Fusebox

Banned
Awesome comparison shots Peagles, thx man.

I've got the n3DS and my right hand gets a bit crampy after a while, should I ditch it for the nXL? Does the nXL feel remotely close enough to the DSiXL that I could use my DSiXL to compare?

I've got the n3DS and my right hand gets a bit crampy after a while, should I ditch it for the nXL? Does the nXL feel remotely close enough to the DSiXL that I could use my DSiXL to compare?

It's the same size as the 3DSXL.

3.53 inches = OG3DS
3.88 inches = N3DS
4.2 inches = DSiXL
4.88 inches = 3DSXL and N3DSXL

Peagles

You're welcome. Glad they can be of use.

The New XL and DSi XL are pretty damn similar dimension wise; when closed they must be within a few mm of each other. The only difference in using them I find is the feel of the plastic used; the New XL is smoother, particularly on the edges (which I prefer). Size wise the DSi XL should be a good measure of comfort for you if you're considering a New XL.

Peagles

Thanks Peagles!
I was curious about playing DS games on the new systems. They appear to be pretty good!

Again, you're welcome. They are pretty good I agree. I am a bit of a stickler for image quality and I love that perfect pixel look, so I'll stick to my XL, but I imagine it will be a non-issue for the majority of people.

In addition, if anyone currently has an old XL, I've just compared mine to the new XL, and they are pretty much identical when playing scaled DS games. It's so identical I don't think a photo is necessary (and wouldn't show anything different). So unfortunately these New systems don't seem to have an advantage over older systems when it comes to playing DS games, but they aren't any worse either!

Peagles

Also if anyone has specific comparison or impression requests I'm happy to fill them since I now own every member of the DS family. Just let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

P.S. New 3D RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES! /Broccoli Guy voice

Corgi

Banned
Also if anyone has specific comparison or impression requests I'm happy to fill them since I now own every member of the DS family. Just let me know and I'll be happy to oblige.

P.S. New 3D RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES! /Broccoli Guy voice

how does reaching for L when using dpad on n3ds vs xl?

probably the biggest annoyance i have atm with my xl. need to have my hand in a weird position to play platformers that use L.

As someone who went from an LE 3DS XL to a n3DS, I'm really happy with it. I originally upgraded from the OG 3DS to the XL because I found the screen too small and the controls too cramped. I found that despite being slightly better, the XL was heavy (bad for lying in bed) and the cramp wasn't really fixed all that much.

I'm really happy with the n3DS because it has bigger screens than the OG but better pixel density than the XL, it's light so great for lying in bed/long sessions, and I don't know what they've done but it's a LOT more comfortable to hold than either the OG 3DS or the XL. Add faceplates and the candy buttons to that and imo it's the best choice. :)

Do we have any release date and RRP for EU yet?
Nope, but hopefully in the next month or two. A bunch of us are hoping it's at a cheaper price, too. I need it to launch in North America becasue I have a NTSC 3DS. Bloody region locking. I long for the days when I imported my Japanese DS Lite and couple play all my games on it with no problems.

Peagles

how does reaching for L when using dpad on n3ds vs xl?

probably the biggest annoyance i have atm with my xl. need to have my hand in a weird position to play platformers that use L.

Well, I have small hands so take that in mind when reading my opinion, but I found the XL fine with games that use L or R intermittently. However when I got Smash Bros I found I could hardly play a 2 minute round without both hands seizing up. The problem was twofold; reaching the buttons put strain my hands, but I also didn't have big enough hands to do that while simultaneously holding the weight of the XL, if that makes sense. I either had to play on easy without using L or R, or try and sit the XL on something, like my lap. Neither worked particularly well but did reduce cramping.

On the other hand, the smaller New 3DS hasn't caused me any issues at all so far. I can get through several rounds without cramp even while using L and R. It (Smash Bros) is actually part of the reason I couldn't decide between the regular size and XL New variants.

Ordered two HORI n3DS screen protectors from Play Asia (in case I fuck up putting them on :p) and a slim case. Paid for expedited shipping so I hope they'll arrive relatively soon, I hate touching screens without protectors on. Anything with a screen in my house that isn't a TV gets a screen protector (including my MBP).

Fusebox

Banned
I'm the other way around, can't stand screen protectors on anything. I'd rather play rough and nude for a couple of years and then just ditch it for the next revision.

I tried out that right-side-analogue-nubby-thing for the first time last night with Res Evil Rev and wow. I thought it was gonna be crap but it works really well imo. I was able to snap the camera where I wanted fairly quickly and accurately each time. Very cool.

Rich!

I can't for the life of me understand why they don't release faceplates for the XL. It's seriously annoying.

At least the bottom plate is changeable.

As soon as a matte replacement cover is available on ebay I am buying it to swap over with the stock glossy one. Will be so much better.

I'm the other way around, can't stand screen protectors on anything. I'd rather play rough and nude for a couple of years and then just ditch it for the next revision.

I tried out that right-side-analogue-nubby-thing for the first time last night with Res Evil Rev and wow. I thought it was gonna be crap but it works really well imo. I was able to snap the camera where I wanted fairly quickly and accurately each time. Very cool.
I just feel so conscious of everything I'm using if it isn't cased up, I don't know why :/

And yeah, I was surprised at how good it is. I was expecting it to be pretty shit or inaccurate because of the fact that it doesn't seem to move but it's pretty good.
Still debating whether to go n3ds or xl. Currently have an ogxl but the faceplates and slightly larger screens are tempting me..
Go for it! I went from an OG XL to a n3DS and I love it.

Corgi

Banned
Well, I have small hands so take that in mind when reading my opinion, but I found the XL fine with games that use L or R intermittently. However when I got Smash Bros I found I could hardly play a 2 minute round without both hands seizing up. The problem was twofold; reaching the buttons put strain my hands, but I also didn't have big enough hands to do that while simultaneously holding the weight of the XL, if that makes sense. I either had to play on easy without using L or R, or try and sit the XL on something, like my lap. Neither worked particularly well but did reduce cramping.

On the other hand, the smaller New 3DS hasn't caused me any issues at all so far. I can get through several rounds without cramp even while using L and R. It (Smash Bros) is actually part of the reason I couldn't decide between the regular size and XL New variants.

well smash uses the circle pad so its not really a stretch.

talking about games that use the d-pad.

Peagles

dont' know if the new shantae was released in japan, but thats the current game that is annoying me.

Pretty much any 2d platformer on the system that uses triggers.

I'm PAL, but I don't have Shantae. I'm struggling to think of games that use the d-pad and triggers so if you can give some specific examples I'll look through my library and give them a try.

Corgi

Banned
I'm PAL, but I don't have Shantae. I'm struggling to think of games that use the d-pad and triggers so if you can give some specific examples I'll look through my library and give them a try.

Ambassador gba games.

Uhhhh pretty much every ds game.

ZeroX03

Banned
With removable backs I really hope we get replaceable batteries or even better: higher capacity options. I'd make my N3DS a little thicker to get a 2000+ mAh battery.

jaosobno

Just like so many of you, I can't make up my mind whether to get regular or XL N3ds. I love everything about regular, but my main concern is comfort. I'm a tall guy with fairly long fingers so would regular be too small for me? Anyone here with bigger hands that went with regular size and is happy with their choice?

SNES buttons, faceplates, better pixel density are super appealing, but I guess comfort takes precedence. I do have NDS Lite which I play regularly and my hands don't cramp or anything, but slightly larger device size would definitely be more comfortable.

Zoro7

Banned
Just like so many of you, I can't make up my mind whether to get regular or XL N3ds. I love everything about regular, but my main concern is comfort. I'm a tall guy with fairly long fingers so would regular be too small for me? Anyone here with bigger hands that went with regular size and is happy with their choice?

SNES buttons, faceplates, better pixel density are super appealing, but I guess comfort takes precedence. I do have NDS Lite which I play regularly and my hands don't cramp or anything, but slightly larger device size would definitely be more comfortable.

I got the 3DS for faceplates but I wish I got the XL. Its not as comfortable as the old XL to hold. :( Oh well.

The two n3DS systems I ordered from 365 Games arrived today, woohoo. I had a quick look at them and packed them away, feels so good to hold a small, matte system again. I had a quick feel of the c-stick. What the heck is this? It barely even moves when you touch it....has anyone used it in-game yet? Does it work well? I haven't tried any games yet or anything, waiting for the screen protectors, faceplates and carry cases to arrive from Nippon Yassan before giving them to my nieces. They won't be shipping them out until at least Monday, because they're closed for the Xmas and NY period, argh.

Rich!

The two n3DS systems I ordered from 365 Games arrived today, woohoo. I had a quick look at them and packed them away, feels so good to hold a small, matte system again. I had a quick feel of the c-stick. What the heck is this? It barely even moves when you touch it....has anyone used it in-game yet? Does it work well?

been using it with resident evil revelations. it works great - takes some getting used to, but it's incredibly precise.

glaurung

Really looking forward to getting the N3DS XL at some point.

I guess it is hopeless to want a white N3DS XL by the time it launches in EU for reals...

God damn that regular size white model is sexy. But I cannot tolerate the super tiny screens of the regular model.

Top Bottom