• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It does look slightly better to me, but I'll stick with my weird OG model that resembles what I assume people in the 1980's thought future tech would look like.
That would be a cool way to look at it. To see the same about people in the 50’s/60’s go visit the Barbican complex, especially inside the main building.

I will stick with my FAT too since I have black plates its looking pretty good in vertical position.

I don't dig the SLIM look but maybe it can grow on you, like OG FAT. And custom plates may give you more options maybe even change the shape a bit. Like dbrand or smth.

But the stand... Chrome part should be black imho or white- I get the part that they used some hoolahop thing to make it sit lower.

But let's face it chrome does not fit with anything whatsoever.

vbrggBG.jpg

It's obvious it would sit higher with original stand. I guess that's one way to slim it ... down :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Not much they can do since they finalized the design. But they should at least get rid of chrome part of the stand, imho.

Last edited:

chilichote

I always found the PS5 to be quite attractive vertically, and the same now applies to the “Slim”. The thing still isn't pretty horizontally, you can tell that it was designed for the vertical. But the price increase for DE is a bit cheeky. And I actually would have believed that the drive wouldn't be more expensive than €80 maximum. Overall, I would have expected a price reduction for both models anyway. I hope for generous discounts in the future^^

But what I find really sad is that the stand for vertical orientation has to be purchased separately on a console that was designed for this purpose. And the one included just looks cheap.

Does anyone know anything about the innards? And can you expand the memory as usual?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Slim is welcome, I was thinking of getting one for my kid, but they are getting pretty aggressive with OG model bundles right now. I'll probably wait until they sell through and see if they get competitive with these next year. I have no need for the disc drive, we are all digital, but if OG trends are anything to go by then the disc versions will be the ones that eventually get the good discounts, guess I can always rip the drive out and make it digital if that's the case :messenger_beaming:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I will stick with my FAT too since I have black plates its looking pretty good in vertical position.

I don't dig the SLIM look but maybe it can grow on you, like OG FAT. And custom plates may give you more options maybe even change the shape a bit. Like dbrand or smth.

But the stand... Chrome part should be black imho or white- I get the part that they used some hoolahop thing to make it sit lower.

But let's face it chrome does not fit with anything whatsoever.

vbrggBG.jpg

It's obvious it would sit higher with original stand. I guess that's one way to slim it ... down :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Not much they can do since they finalized the design. But they should at least get rid of chrome part of the stand, imho.
I am still quite shocked at how much smaller it is, I was expecting a less radical size reduction. If the thermals / noise qualities are still good then chapeau Sony. This should help make the console even more cost effective too (which means flexible pricing wise if needed).

I always found the PS5 to be quite attractive vertically, and the same now applies to the “Slim”. The thing still isn't pretty horizontally, you can tell that it was designed for the vertical. But the price increase for DE is a bit cheeky. And I actually would have believed that the drive wouldn't be more expensive than €80 maximum. Overall, I would have expected a price reduction for both models anyway. I hope for generous discounts in the future^^

But what I find really sad is that the stand for vertical orientation has to be purchased separately on a console that was designed for this purpose. And the one included just looks cheap.

Does anyone know anything about the innards? And can you expand the memory as usual?
Yeah, I wasn't so keen on the OG design back in the day. But now I have my standing vertically with black plates and well it grew on me.

I bet when custom plates will start dropping for SLIM the new look may be accepted yet again. Obviously vertically.

As of other points, I also agree.

Didn't read much about it, so I didn't know they won't include a vertical stand. Sad... Apple like behavior.

Yeah that's what's interesting to me too, is there a m2 nvme slot and is the heatsink glued or not- not that I'm planning to switch. But I have read about FAT revisions having issues with glued on heatsink. Hopefully they don't do that in SLIM.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm surprised that the design is so close to the original, even people who like it must recognise how many other people are vocal about not liking it.

Personally, my av setup means I can put the consoles behind the TV so I don't see them. The only downside is that it's easy to forget to dust back there.

Last edited:
I would have hoped they do a regular external BR-drive, you can use with the PS6 and forth. Could have looked like a wii, with some PS5 modifications. Just offer that as an official one in a PS5 design, but also unlock any USB drive. But now it's still integrated in the (still odd) design and most likely not usable for future plattforms. For the pla... shareholders.

It's also no new shrink, I suppose, since this is pretty much the volume the latest iteration had internally already. Weird that it took them that long to come up with that, if the actual important, ie long term plan, parts were already done some months ago.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I will stick with my FAT too since I have black plates it’s looking pretty good in vertical position.

FYI they’ve confirmed matte black plates for this one too.

Is making a little joke about the PS5 stand really "being on MS payroll?"
It's pretty funny.
Hard to tell when Microsoft’s official policy was (is) for their evangelists to:

‘independently praise our technology, damnation of the enemies’

StereoVsn

Fuck off with this bullshit. The current disc drive model is available for 499€ at many retailers, and was recently discounted at 449€. Europeans shouldn't have to pay more than yanks. It's hilarious that many over there now whine, when the DE's price is the same between the regions.

If the supposed Pro model follows the same regional pricing strategy, I'll definitely wait until discounts that put the price on the same level. There's no way in hell I'd pay +50€ premium over what others pay.
You have 20% VAT rolled in. US price does not include taxes.

Edit: VAT of course can vary by country, but basically in general price in EU for disk is equivalent to about €460 plus tax.

In US tax varies based on the State (and even City sometimes), and can range from 0% to 10+%.

Digital is even less in EU vs US considering the tax.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Any hints on the price?

I'd say $100-$200 more. Essentially all they'll do is change the APU and its power and cooling solution. I doubt it'll need more memory and expanding out the SSD is kinda pointless as large m.2. drives are relatively cheap these days and functionally equivalent to the surface mounted chips.

Essentially I doubt they'll depart too far from the sort of differential we saw between PS4 and PS$pro, which was roughly 25% more.

SenkiDala

Who in the hell would buy a xbox for exclusives ? Halo, Forza, Gears this games arent console sellers, to be honest gamepass is the only thing that keeps Xbox relevante at the moment.

And yeah, ps5 verticaly is a way better looking vídeo game then Xbox is.
But the ps5 isn't a video game?!!

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's definitely annoying though that they are not including the vertical stand when this console is essentially designed to be in a vertical position. Seems like a blatant money grab tbh.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Don't really know this guy, so no not really.

His job is basically covering MS’s ass and that includes Xbox. Has been criticizing Sony, PlayStation and putting them in a bad light for years and years while spinning for MS/Xbox. It’s not a secret either and he will block you if you mention it. Goes as far as publishing negative PlayStation news/info during days Xbox is taking heat, just like he did recently during the whole email leak debacle.

Unprofessional to say the least, but you could always say that’s how he puts bread on the table and I guess that’s fair enough.

It's definitely annoying though that they are not including the vertical stand when this console is essentially designed to be in a vertical position. Seems like a blatant money grab tbh.
Production cost would probably allow 3.99 sells price, so making it pointless to not just throw it in the box, considering packaging and extra shipping is probably half of that, for ultimately no real reason.
But okay cheap parts, when it is decided to not include them, are often sold much more expensive than the actual products. Removing that kinda essential accessory is especially odd.
I definitely would search for some chinese knockoff before bending over for that. You get alternatives for the current version for 5 to 20. 20 when a USB hub is included.
Maybe even 3D print it, if you know someone with a printer. I can imagine some people come up with alternative ideas and sharing their designs on the respective platforms.

Topher

Gold Member
People do hate everything, but the box is, if we're honest, the better design.

Nothing "honest" about that really. They sacrificed quite a bit in order to accommodate the form factor. I think that has to be taken into account when discussing the design.

Melchiah

You have 20% VAT rolled in. US price does not include taxes.

Edit: VAT of course can vary by country, but basically in general price in EU for disk is equivalent to about €460 plus tax.

In US tax varies based on the State (and even City sometimes), and can range from 0% to 10+%.

Digital is even less in EU vs US considering the tax.

I always forget that. So, it can be nearly 599$ there with 20% VAT?

Speaking of DE, the cheapest price for the current model I've seen here was 299€, but it was limited to a single retailer and 80 units.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Nothing "honest" about that really. They sacrificed quite a bit in order to accommodate the form factor. I think that has to be taken into account when discussing the design.

It's my 100% honest take. Start creating some criteria if you like, but it won't make it beautiful and that's what everyone's talking about.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's my 100% honest take. Start creating some criteria if you like, but it won't make it beautiful and that's what everyone's talking about.

And that's fine if that's your view. I generally agree with it primarily because XSX has a smaller footprint. I don't find either design particularly "beautiful".

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Production cost would probably allow 3.99 sells price, so making it pointless to not just throw it in the box, considering packaging and extra shipping is probably half of that, for ultimately no real reason.
But okay cheap parts, when it is decided to not include them, are often sold much more expensive than the actual products. Removing that kinda essential accessory is especially odd.
I definitely would search for some chinese knockoff before bending over for that. You get alternatives for the current version for 5 to 20. 20 when a USB hub is included.
Maybe even 3D print it, if you know someone with a printer. I can imagine some people come up with alternative ideas and sharing their designs on the respective platforms.

Yeah there are massive profit margins on a piece of plastic that is priced at $30...hard not to see this for what it is.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
And that's fine if that's your view. I generally agree with it primarily because XSX has a smaller footprint. I don't find either design particularly "beautiful".

I have no idea why you do this, it's bloody obvious that it's my view and that I'm not acting as a spokesperson for the world. Honestly, put me on ignore if you can't let basic conversational things slide.

I wonder how PS Pro is gonna look like, considering that the console design for Slim has become worse....

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have no idea why you do this, it's bloody obvious that it's my view and that I'm not acting as a spokesperson for the world. Honestly, put me on ignore if you can't let basic conversational things slide.

Uh....next time don't say "WE" then if you want to be "bloody obvious" about it. If you are going to whine about basic conversation bullshit then start there.

People do hate everything, but the box is, if we're honest, the better design.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Uh....next time don't say "WE" then if you want to be "bloody obvious" about it. If you are going to whine about basic conversation bullshit then start there.

I can't believe this is how you want to spend your day.

If I reply to someone (not you) and say "We" there's a good chance I'm meaning me and the other person rather than attempting to speak on behalf of everyone. Honestly life's too short to spend it on nonsense like this, just put me on ignore, as requested.

Topher

Gold Member
I can't believe this is how you want to spend your day.

If I reply to someone (not you) and say "We" there's a good chance I'm meaning me and the other person rather than attempting to speak on behalf of everyone. Honestly life's too short to spend it on nonsense like this, just put me on ignore, as requested.

So you went from "bloody obvious" to a "a good chance"? lol...ok

I can't believe you get triggered so easily. You could have just clarified your point rather than getting butthurt in response. Seemed to me that you were stating that anyone "honest" would agree with you. Not the case then just say so. Jesus....that should not be hard.

I'm pretty sure your ignore button works just as well as mine so knock yourself out.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Yeah there are massive profit margins on a piece of plastic that is priced at $30...hard not to see this for what it is.
I don't know why this is surprising (or even a thing). These companies do things like these specifically to make money from selling accessories. Unless people really believe that an Apple USB C cable should cost $30.

But at the end of the day, this is a non-issue, the horizontal stand may be necessary, which is why it comes in the box/as part of the console, but I think everyone by now should know that the vertical stand has never really been necessary. You don't need it to stand your PS5 up vertically, so to me, it makes sense that it's something they sell separately. And I am 100% certain there would be $5 alternatives on Amazon within a month after this thing hits the market.

And I find people have this habit of doing things like say, oh this just costs $2 to make so they should have bunded it and whatnot... but with console design, every single cent literally counts. That $2, could be the difference between a 825GB and 1TB SSD.

Gambit2483

People that never got the original and are deciding to get one this holiday season.
Obviously anyone that doesn't already one. My point was for Sony getting people who already do enticed to rebuy a "new" PS5.

And even for the new people it's still designed to get them to spend extra money beyond the initial console purchase.

Edit: Clearly no one understood my point was 2-pronged for those who already own one its pointless and for those that don't it's designed to extract more money after initial purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom