• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New-ish PC Gamer fishing for 30 series advice

So my current build is my first one. Built it 2 years ago. Im running:
Evga 2080ti
I9-9900K
Asus Z390 mb
16g Gskill TridentZ Ddr4 ram
Corsair Cpu Liquid Cooler
2tb nvme ssd
4tb hdd
1000 watt evga 80plus Gold series power supply
Lian li 011 dynamic case

Now onto the 30 series. Being fairly new to pc gaming im trying to figure out which card is best and if my build supports it. Im leaning towards the 3090 because i was honestly already planning on spending in that ballpark for the ti variant so the 1,500 price tag for the titan variant actually didnt scare me off too bad. I understand the 3080 is probably the best value for someone like me coming from the 2080ti but i wont lie i do like to get the best but i am open to suggestion. But with the 3090 in mind am i better off with the founders edition or a third party manufacturer card? My understanding is the cooling techniques are historically better with the third party cards and the designs are more varied obviously. My current card is evga and i do like the brand. The Evga 3090 ftw3 edition is the way im leaning based on the little bit of research ive done and peoples high praise for the ftw line. What are your guys opinions ? Does my build support the 3090 ? Will i bottleneck ? Help lol.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You have a really nice system. I would recommend passing over the 3080 10GB in favor of a possible future 3080Ti. That's a huge pricing gap from $699 to $1499, so it's hard to believe we won't have at least another sku in between, maybe 2 in the form of 3080 20GB and 3080Ti.

TaySan

Banned
What resolution/framerate do you game on? The 3090 at the moment seems to be the substantial upgrade path forward for 2080 ti owners if you game at 4K. Otherwise wait for maybe the 3080 ti or 4000 series.

jigglet

Banned
With that sort of rig I assume you have money to throw around, so the 3090 would be your best bet. Don't listen to anyone telling you about value for money, fuck that shit. If you want power you want power.

Kadayi

Banned
You have a really nice system. I would recommend passing over the 3080 10GB in favor of a possible future 3080Ti. That's a huge pricing gap from $699 to $1499, so it's hard to believe we won't have at least another sku in between, maybe 2 in the form of 3080 20GB and 3080Ti.

Yeah, I'd say hold out for the inevitable 3080Ti. I mean the problem with getting the 3090 is you're going to pay through the nose for it, and invariably whenever the 4 series cards come out down the line it's going to be usurped by the 4080 which will be the middle range card if not on horsepower then in terms of features.

What resolution/framerate do you game on? The 3090 at the moment seems to be the substantial upgrade path forward for 2080 ti owners if you game at 4K. Otherwise wait for maybe the 3080 ti or 4000 series.
Currently 1440p for competitive games and 4k for single player games. Would love for 4k high fps to be a reality in my multiplayer as well.

Kenpachii

3090 is your only upgrade path.
3080 and 3070 would be a downgrade, v-ram bottleneck will be real.

Either u sit on your 2080ti until a 20gb of v-ram card comes out or 16gb or u get the 3090.

As for which version to buy of that card. Wait until reviews land, nvidia could throttle there founders cards artificially with limited power connectors. Could very well be that nvidia drops a 12 pins connector on that 3090 and after market drops 12pins and 8 pins next towards it to feed it more power for less throttling.

Then also cooling and sound of the cooler is going to be something u want to take a look at, this will all be available in reviews from youtubers and websites when it comes out.

Otherwise its pure yolo at this point to buy anything as there is no real information on any of it.

Honestly if you really want to upgrade, ditch that 2080ti as fast as u can and then just drop extra money for the 3090. It will for sure stay relevant for most likely the next 4 years. At 4k u want all the performance u can get.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wait until the 40 series. Upgrading every two years is insane.

The 2080ti may have been the worst purchase of all time.

I agree with this advice.

Your 2080ti really won’t struggle that badly for the next 18 months or so until the next cards drop especially if you’re stuck with 4k60hz for now.

That’s assuming money matters to you. If you have money to burn then go nuts.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Evga 2080ti
I9-9900K
Asus Z390 mb
2tb nvme ssd
4tb hdd
Lian li 011 dynamic case

Now onto the 30 series. Being fairly new to pc gaming im trying to figure out which card is best and if my build supports it. Im leaning towards the 3090 because i was honestly already planning on spending in that ballpark for the ti variant so the 1,500 price tag for the titan variant actually didnt scare me off too bad. I understand the 3080 is probably the best value for someone like me coming from the 2080ti but i wont lie i do like to get the best but i am open to suggestion. But with the 3090 in mind am i better off with the founders edition or a third party manufacturer card? My understanding is the cooling techniques are historically better with the third party cards and the designs are more varied obviously. My current card is evga and i do like the brand. The Evga 3090 ftw3 edition is the way im leaning based on the little bit of research ive done and peoples high praise for the ftw line. What are your guys opinions ? Does my build support the 3090 ? Will i bottleneck ? Help lol.

I would LOVE to have a EVGA 3090 FTW.

Do we have certainty that all the products will sell at the same time?

VFXVeteran

Banned
For those games lol?
But yeah what ever, have fun.

Yes sir. 2080Ti simply can't play those games at native 4k @ ultra/60FPS. I actually doubt the 3090 will be able to play FS2020 4k/60FPS too. We'll see. Cyberpunk will have DLSS to help it along. In fact, I can't wait to see some of the later games NOT use DLSS and the 3090 can't render 4k/60FPS. In short, I don't think the 3090 is overkill at all.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I would love to say that but there are just a few games that I need to be running with the best possible hardware that can run them.

Marvel Avengers
FS2020
Cyberpunk
My list would be Cyberpunk, FS2020, and hopefully the DOOM Eternal RTX patch. That would keep me busy for the rest of the year, well outside of my compulsory MP with my boys in Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, etc.

The last gameplay demo of Cyberpunk was totaling destroying a 2080ti with RTX enabled. I'm sure they've been optimizing, but Ampere is going to be a big step up from Turing when it comes to RT. It's cool if somebody isn't interested in those games or doesn't care about RT, but if you're big CDPR fan looking forward to Cyberpunk then why not play it the first time with the highest fidelity possible for maximum immersion?

My list would be Cyberpunk, FS2020, and hopefully the DOOM Eternal RTX patch. That would keep me busy for the rest of the year, well outside of my compulsory MP with my boys in Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, etc.

The last gameplay demo of Cyberpunk was totaling destroying a 2080ti with RTX enabled. I'm sure they've been optimizing, but Ampere is going to be a big step up from Turing when it comes to RT. It's cool if somebody isn't interested in those games or doesn't care about RT, but if you're big CDPR fan looking forward to Cyberpunk then why not play it the first time with the highest fidelity possible for maximum immersion?
See this guy understands me 🤙

Evga 2080ti
I9-9900K
Asus Z390 mb
2tb nvme ssd
4tb hdd
Lian li 011 dynamic case

Well what games do you play and on what screen?

I play driving sims and FS2020 on a C9, so I do want (need actually) that sweet 4k120fps hdmi 2.1.

Personally, I'd keep that perfectly fine system as it is and upgrade it one or two years down the line. I'm sure there will be a TI model coming a bit after these new cards launch, would be a waste of money otherwise. Besides, you system will be able to run any game you throw at it for many years to come at near-maxed out settings. Unless you absolutely need to play all games at 4k 60FPS with RTX and TXAA, but I doubt it's worth the money.

jigglet

Banned
I like the way you think.

As we move through life generally money gets easier to come by. I would have balked at the idea of buying even a xx60 card when I was a kid. Now I'm contemplating a xx60 or xx70. In 10 years when my financial situation improves again, a xx90 card should be a drop in the ocean. That's what people don't realise. It's not about bragging or showing off, as you get older this shit just gets more trivial.

When people scream value for money at someone who's clearly well past that point I do sometimes wonder why they waste their energy.

Arun1910

Are you wanting to game at 1440p?

I would recommend a 2080 but also know that in the future (2 years perhaps) that you may need a 2080Ti for that extra VRAM as consoles will be using more and more.

Keep in mind that the VRAM for these new cards is not the same as the 20 series. So a lower VRAM for the 3080 serie doesn't mean it's worse than a 2080ti.

I personally don't see a reason in getting a 3090 unless you want 4K with all the bells and whistles.

supernova8

Banned
Surely if you already have a 2080 Ti why bother upgrading? That means you've spent over $1000 on a GPU in the last 2 years. Unless you have money to incinerate, just leave it.

supernova8

Banned
Wait until the 40 series. Upgrading every two years is insane.

The 2080ti may have been the worst purchase of all time.

I thought the same at first but maybe OP should offload his 2080 Ti while he can still get some decent money for it. Wait til next year and it really will be worthless.

pullcounter

You seem to be ok with spending money for the best performance. Get a 3090 and put a full cover water block on it, and throw a decent cpu block in that 9900k as well. Watercooling is fun, exciting, prolongs the life of your hardware, gives you more performance by reducing throttling and allows your system to run absolutely silent

And it looks really cool

It is? Can you show me a site where you can buy some?
Edit #2: im wrong again lol. Its not out yet. First time fact checking it i seen a july release date for this year so i tried to correct myself quickly but if i searched a little more thoroughly it says samsung is releasing the first ddr5 ram sometime in 2021. Sorry !

ZZZZ

Depends on what you want honestly, you should be fine for 4k 60fps, or 144fps 1080,1440p in the near future, even with the 2080ti.
If you plan on buying a 365hz monitor so you can track enemies easier, and you want to play a game like Apex or Cod at 365fps, you will need the 3090.
It's hard to say honestly right now because we don't have a lot of benchmarks out there, will the 3090 play AAA games at 4k 144fps with RTX and DlSS 2.0?
You have a great system, i'd say wait for more info.

Edit #2: im wrong again lol. Its not out yet. First time fact checking it i seen a july release date for this year so i tried to correct myself quickly but if i searched a little more thoroughly it says samsung is releasing the first ddr5 ram sometime in 2021. Sorry !
The thing to note here is that even if DDR5 releases in 2021, consumer boards and CPUs that actually support it almost certainly won't. Don't expect Zen 4 or Alder Lake to be widely available before early 2022.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

After watching this video i still have no idea what this guy is talking about lol can someone explain it to me ? Are there any specs that i have currently that would bottleneck a 3090 ?

He tests the bandwidth of pci-e 3.0 the limit of a 9900k motherboard pci-e slot ( slot where your gpu sits in ).

He finds that more bandwidth in later games favors games specially on lower resolutions. Now that 3090 could be a lot more faster then a 2080ti and builded around pci-e 4.0 bandwidth, it could possible bottleneck on a 3.0 x16 pci-e slot.

However much weaker gpu's that will never saturate maximum theoretical performance of that bus also seems to have gains right now in performance which u normally wouldn't expect to be seeing. So the question here is will pci-e3.0 bottleneck the 3090 in a noticeable way or not. We will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Evga 2080ti
I9-9900K
Asus Z390 mb
2tb nvme ssd
4tb hdd
Lian li 011 dynamic case

If you have a 2080ti just wait for the 4000 series

Top Bottom