• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another eBay thread: Is this buyer trying to scam me?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
EDIT:

I canceled the buyer's order and decided to not sell the card.

Also, I contacted Micro Center via online chat earlier today and was provided permission to return the RTX 3080 beyond the expired 30-day return period; I returned it about a half hour ago.

Also, my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming was delivered to my mom's house today, and my PS5 is scheduled to be delivered there tomorrow. So, I'll head over there tomorrow to pick them up.

-------------------------------------

Yes, yes, yet another thread about my experience with the RTX 30 Series and my experience with eBay.

Anyhow, as many of you may know, I originally wanted an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming but wound up getting an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming and then a PNY REVEL EPIC-X RTX 3090.

However, yesterday I received notification from EVGA that the 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming was available for me to purchase; hence, I ordered it and then listed my EVGA 1080Ti SC2 and my aforementioned RTX 3080 on eBay for sale.

The 1080Ti sold within a few hours; the buyer submitted payment via PayPal immediately and there hasn't been any activity that indicates that they're a scammer.

The RTX 3080 sold about two hours ago. The buyer didn't submit payment immediately but instead sent me a message via eBay's messaging system asking me to change the shipping method to a cheaper option because they didn't realize that the purchase would cost as much as it did with the tax and shipping; they asked me to send them a new invoice with the changed shipping method.

So, I asked them to provide me with their name and address so that I could go through the label-creating process at UPS.com in order to determine the price of cheaper shipping methods. I chose ground shipping, which wound up being approximately 50% cheaper than the original shipping method (UPS Next Day Air).

I informed them of the price and they said that it was perfect. However, while purchasing the label, I decided to add an adult-signature requirement, which added $6.00 to the price. I then sent them the new invoice and informed them of the additional $6.00 for the adult-signature requirement; they said that they would have preferred to not have the adult-signature requirement because someone may not be home when the card would be delivered but that they'd be okay with it since I already purchased the shipping label.

They then submitted full payment via PayPal; the name and address listed on PayPal matches the one that they provided via eBay's messaging system.

An hour later, I received the following email from moreinfo@ebay.com.

MC010 Account Security Communication Partner Warning - [insert my eBay username]

Hello [insert my eBay username] ([insert my email address]),

Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from [insert buyer's username] through eBay's messaging system. This account was recently found to have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, who may have used the account in an attempt to defraud other members.

We've taken action to restore this account to the original owner, but wanted to let you know to be suspicious of any communication you may have received from them. Nothing is wrong with your account at this time – this message is just being sent as a precaution. If you have received any messages from that appears suspicious, please feel free to forward them to us at spoof@ebay.com for review.

-- Safety Tips --
-- Don't respond to the sender, through either eBay or your email provider, if the message is an offer to buy or sell an item. This type of offer may be fraudulent, and the transaction won't be covered by eBay protection programs.

- - If you received what appears to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, and it appears in My Messages with the subject of "Message from eBay Member," it isn't a legitimate Second Chance Offer.

Real Second Chance Offers appear in My Messages with a blue background and subject that says, "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...". Always check for both the blue background in My Messages and the subject line of "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item…" when responding to a Second Chance Offer.

-- Never pay for your eBay items using instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It is against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment with these methods, as these types of payments are unsafe if you're paying someone you don't know.

-- If You've Already Sent Payment or Shipped an Item --
- - If you already sent payment for an off-eBay transaction, or if you're a seller who already shipped an item to a fraudulent buyer, we suggest you take the following steps:

-- Contact the payment service you used to make the purchase. If you paid by credit card, most card issuers provide consumer protections in instances of online fraud.

- - If you sold and shipped an item to a fraudulent buyer, contact the carrier you used to ship the item. You might be able to receive additional assistance from the shipping service. If it was sent through the United States Postal Service, you may want to file mail fraud charges. Please go to:
http://www.usps.gov/websites/depart/inspect/

- - Report the fraudulent buyer or seller both to law enforcement officials in your area, and in the area where the buyer or seller lives. To find law enforcement agencies by area, please visit:
http://www.usacops.com

When you contact a law enforcement officer, please explain the following:

- eBay will be happy to help with the officer's investigation.
- For more information on how the officer can contact eBay, go to:
http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/law_enforcement.html

-- You may also want to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). The IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center. The IC3 will review complaints and refer information to the appropriate local, state, or federal agency. To file a complaint with the IC3, please go to:
http://www.ic3.gov/

We also need you to take a few minutes to provide more information related to the transaction. The information you provide will allow us to work more effectively with law enforcement should an investigation occur. Please go to:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/transactions-outside-eBay.html

Click the "Item Bought Outside of eBay" or "Item Sold Outside of eBay" link.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Thanks,

eBay

H19881

eBay Document ID: [insert document ID]
eBay is committed to your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy notice. Learn how to recognize fake (spoof) emails.
Copyright © 2020 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

I've searched via Google about this email and read that it may be a phishing email to get my eBay login information or that it may be a means via which the buyer can claim that the purchase of my 3080 was fraudulent since it was made by someone who hacked into their account, which would enable the buyer to charge back the purchase while keeping the card.

I've already made up my mind because I'm very cautious; I'm canceling both purchases of my graphics cards even though only one is suspicious. However, I'm curious about you guys' input.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Maybe you just aren't cut out for eBay.

I would never, ever, change anything based on communication like that. I would have told that guy that if he wasn't happy with it, then don't pay. The official eBay process is there to protect both parties and you intentionally went around it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Maybe you just aren't cut out for eBay.

I would never, ever, change anything based on communication like that. I would have told that guy that if he wasn't happy with it, then don't pay. The official eBay process is there to protect both parties and you intentionally went around it.
How did I go around the official process by communicating with the buyer via only eBay and by using eBay's own feature set to alter the invoice? What is the proper means of altering an invoice? Also, what is suspicious about a buyer asking that the shipping method be changed?

Last edited:
My own personal rules of ebay, never change anything from the original listing., if they weren't happy they shouldn't have bid.

Also if there's ever a shred of doubt in my mind, its probably a scam and to trust my instincts.

cormack12

Gold Member
You have your answer OP

Don't respond to the sender, through either eBay or your email provider, if the message is an offer to buy or sell an item. This type of offer may be fraudulent, and the transaction won't be covered by eBay protection programs.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
My own personal rules of ebay, never change anything from the original listing., if they weren't happy they shouldn't have bid.

Also if there's ever a shred of doubt in my mind, its probably a scam and to trust my instincts.

What about the buyer of my 1080Ti? They haven't been suspicious.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The buyer didn't submit payment immediately but instead sent me a message via eBay's messaging system asking me to change the shipping method to a cheaper option because they didn't realize that the purchase would cost as much as it did with the tax and shipping; they asked me to send them a new invoice with the changed shipping method.

If they don't ask you to change the shipping address then you should be fine. I had similar requests before while selling on eBay.

They can pay for the item and then you can send them back a partial refund through Paypal.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
That warning is only for scenarios in which the sender contacts you outside eBay or asks that you do so.

Don't respond to the sender, through either eBay or your email provider, if the message is an offer to buy or sell an item.

End of the day it's up to you. Why ask if you don't want to hear the truth? Go through with the sale then.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If they don't ask you to change the shipping address then you should be fine. I had similar requests before while selling on eBay.

They can pay for the item and then you can send them back a partial refund through Paypal.
But what about the email informing me that the buyer's account may have been hacked?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
End of the day it's up to you. Why ask if you don't want to hear the truth? Go through with the sale then.

1. I've already canceled the order. I'm just seeking advice and opinions.

2. That warning says, "if the message is an offer to buy or sell an item," which refers to scenarios in which a desire to purchase is initially expressed in the message.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you alter anything about the deal on ebay you need to cancel the auction/purchase and start over. Its that simple.

You did the right thing. If it seems fishy it probably is. Ebay and their procedures are there to keep everything equitable between buyers and sellers. Honestly not sure why you even considered any change to the final sale. That is a big red flag and you should respond with take it or leave it, then just cancel the sale if they don't pay in the time limit.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Ebay is not for everyone. Just stop.

This is not advice; this is an insult and you're not helping. Everyone makes mistakes when doing something new. Furthermore, I had decided to cancel the buyer's purchase before even making this thread, so I'm clearly not foolish. I simply made this thread to receive input from people with experience.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I used to buy and sell a lot of camera equipment online through eBay and Kijiji. You have to be vigilant and I have almost been scammed on numerous occasions.

Personally, I would not continue the transaction.

Kuranghi

Given your experiences I think it might be safer for you to just go to a city park at like 3am and stand around shouting "GPU for saaaaaale", even if you get stabbed and left for dead it will have a better outcome than any of these ebay transactions.

Komatsu

Cancel the 3080 purchase, then relist it. The process is there precisely for those times in which you are not comfortable.

brap

Banned
Why is this in the gaming section ?
Yeah this is definitely for reddit. You see this type of shit all the time on there.
"hey guys I listed an old cum sock on ebay and somebody offered me 3 million dollars for it. Yall think this is a scam?"

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I contacted Micro Center via online chat earlier today and was provided permission to return the RTX 3080 beyond the expired 30-day return period; I returned it about a half hour ago.

Also, my EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming was delivered to my mom's house today, and my PS5 is scheduled to be delivered there tomorrow. So, I'll head over there tomorrow to pick them up.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Top Bottom