• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Guilty Gear game coming in 2020

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

A pretty good overview of the differences in the new game.

- Air unblockables are gone. I expect this will make it easier to escape corners.
- Autodash is in, but so is the traditional double-tap. I bet instant airdashes will still require the old stick movement to pull off
- grabs are done with the Dust button and can whiff
- Since grab was moved to the Dust button, option-select for grabs is gone
- Air techs gone
- All combos are shortened but especially air combos. This is a more "grounded" game

It will be hard to say whether these simplifications are for the best, but there is no question this is a leaner game.

I do like their commitment to shorter combos. This isn't BlazBlue. Guilty Gear should feel closer to something like Samurai Shodown, where a few well-performed counters should be able to swing an entire match. I don't like the drawn-out juggle combos of many anime fighters and I feel like GG's snappier gameplay is a strength.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Some offscreen gameplay from Arcrevo over the weekend:

Looks gorgeous, and for an amateur such as myself it seems like the game retains a similar intensity to the previous titles though it is a bit slower, a bit more methodical, less air game.

Awesome trailer! Pretty clever subtitle too, "STRIVE".

I tried to slow down the brief shot of Faust at the end:

cE9hRH.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nice quality matches:

MMmmm looks like all my favorite Potemkin and May tech made it through the conversion. The matches also look waaaaay faster than what is depicted in the trailers.

Is anyone else getting that same impression? The trailers make the combat look somewhat jerky and slow, like it has far too much hitstop applied, but the gameplay matches posted above look nice and snappy like I'd expect from a GG title.

Nymphae

Banned
Is anyone else getting that same impression? The trailers make the combat look somewhat jerky and slow, like it has far too much hitstop applied, but the gameplay matches posted above look nice and snappy like I'd expect from a GG title.

Yeah looks pretty decent speedwise, I felt like the run and overall movement speed looked a hair slower than XRD, but honestly I can't really see it when I compare footage now.

Pretty excited for this, but I'm still not warming up to that UI. It looks like something you'd see in a DOA game, I hope they change that. But everything else looks crazy good.

Last edited:

cireza

So am I sad to still be playing the (19 year old!) Guilty Gear X?
They have a new engine but Guilty Gear is probably the game that changed the less I know about despite the major engine change. Still the exact same thing to me.

Top Bottom