• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Guilty Gear game coming in 2020

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In this scenario I'm thinking about how they are handling Dragon Ball FighterZ. So far no scam from their side (except for a little one for having Base Goku and Base Vegeta as part of fighter pass but that's on me).

If they can handle this new GG game the same fashion as FighterZ then I'll be fine with that.
Yeah and this method resulted in a higher number of new characters, too. One could argue that some of the new ones are only variations/reskins of existing characters, but the numbers don't lie:

GG -Sign- launched with 17 characters and over the course of two years reached 25 in Rev2.
FighterZ launched with 24 and in a little over a year has jumped to... 32? 34? (I haven't watched DBFZ as closely)

So the season pass method is definitely superior if we're talking roster size.

Barnabot

Yeah and this method resulted in a higher number of new characters, too. One could argue that some of the new ones are only variations/reskins of existing characters, but the numbers don't lie:

GG -Sign- launched with 17 characters and over the course of two years reached 25 in Rev2.
FighterZ launched with 24 and in a little over a year has jumped to... 32? 34? (I haven't watched DBFZ as closely)

So the season pass method is definitely superior if we're talking roster size.
And I think the balance patches done to the chars are there too with or without you being required to buy the DLCs. So basically everyone is playing the same game and the only diff is the available character roster.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
And I think the balance patches done to the chars are there too with or without you being required to buy the DLCs. So basically everyone is playing the same game and the only diff is the available character roster.
True, and in fairness to ASW they made major revisions (including a free final revision to Rev2) that expanded each character's moveset in the Xrd series.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Good news but will they ever do a crossover with Blazblue?

Maybe even add them as DLC.
Probably not this generation. To be honest I figured they would bring a standalone BlazBlue into their engine before making another GG. I'm not complaining, but that's a necessary step before we get another crossover. They'll milk BB Cross Tag for awhile longer.

Fucking hell at the effort they put into the hair movement on the close ups, literally playing anime at this point. Really don't care for playing fighting games in 2019 but ArcSys are destroying the competition.

Famitsu interview with directors Daisuke Ishiwatari and Akira Katano at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

—During the event you said that this is a completely new Guilty Gear title, not a sequel. Does that mean it doesn’t fall in line with the numbered titles?

Ishiwatari:
“It isn’t yet announced whether it’s a numbered title or not. The reason for that is because it’s at the stage where we are still determining what this new title should include. It might be a numbered title, it might not.”

Katano: “I can confirm that it is not part of the Xrd series.”

Ishiwatari: "More than calling it a new Guilty Gear title, I’d rather emphasize that this title is a new fighting game by Arc System Works."

—Regarding the Xrd series, would you say it concluded with Rev2?

Ishiwatari:
“Game-wise, you could consider it the conclusion. The story continues as it is.”

Katano: “There are no plans to update the Rev2 game version in the future. I’d like to do something as a follow up for those who are currently playing, but I cannot promise anything at this time.”

—Looking at the trailer, it’s easy to see that the visuals have been powered up. As a fighting game, are there any big changes to the system side?

Ishiwatari:
“As a fighting game, compared to Guilty Gear more so than the Xrd series, I think that the response will be that the system has changed significantly.”

—In today’s announcement, four characters including May were revealed. I imagine you can’t confirm at this time, but about how many characters can we expect in total?

Ishiwatari:
“It’s all being rebuilt, so as it is, we’re working on it. I’m not sure all the characters will be introduced from the timing of the game’s release.”

Katano: “I’m sure that many are curious to know who will appear from Rev2, but we are making this from square one as a completely new title. No parts of previous titles are being re-appropriated, so I’d keep that in mind when anticipating the roster. We want to meet everyone’s expectations as much as possible.”

—In the trailer, there is a completely new character with dreadlocks, what can you tell us about him?

Ishiwatari:
“We introduced that character in part to show something entirely unseen before and appeal to the fact that this is a completely new title. I can’t say much more than that other than he has some connection to the previous Guilty Gear history.”

—Many recent Arc System Works titles include a support system for beginners. Will there be some sort of system in this title as well for first time players?

Ishiwatari:
“As for having support for beginners, when there are individual explanations, it means that a game is difficult to begin with. Game-wise, I am considering a system that doesn’t require that sort of support. Previous Guilty Gear titles have systems that are complex and numerous; I am developing this game by starting with a clean slate and re-imagining from zero.”

Katano: “Rather than do something aimed at beginners, we are leaning closer to something that is just simple. As I can’t speak concretely, my comments are conceptual, but instead of the structures that other Arc System Works titles have used to support beginners, I think it’s possible for this title to do something different that a broader spectrum of players can play.”

Ishiwatari: “As for making it simple, maybe it’s easier to think of it as taking an approach to shape up the game itself. I’m only saying that entry is simple; not that we are cutting the depth of the game. As we have previously, we want to make this a profound fighting game.”

Katano: “I think it’d be great if we could wipe out the impression that it appears difficult. I think most conventional games have button mash combo systems, which therefore makes them fighting games. But it’s not a situation where if we include that kind of system, we’re good on calling it a fighting game. Even with button mash combos, it doesn’t look easy to those who don’t play fighting games and they may not be sure what is taking place. I want to make sure that players who don’t usually play fighting games can see this and understand what’s going in this title.”

Ishiwatari: “That’s our keyword lately.”

Katano: “It’s currently under development, so everything hasn’t been determined yet, but compared to Arc System Works’ current approach, I’d like to do something different and make a game that will appeal to a broader audience.”

Ishiwatari: “When originally working on the Guilty Gear series, there were points of contention and we couldn’t do something because it was Guilty Gear and we knew it [wasn’t on brand]. Since this is all new, we are amidst revisiting those points to see if we can find solutions.”

Katano: “Even here in Japan, players who have been playing for a long time were strong from the starting line even when a new numbered title came out, that’s the way Guilty Gear has been until now. We aren’t intentionally trying to negate that, however if this completely new title sells, there’s the thought that it’d be better to have a game system that sets an even playing field for a wide variety of players.”

—What kind of new challenges and objectives have you encountered with this new title?

Ishiwatari:
“Rather than individual parts, I feel like the game itself is a challenge. With Guilty Gear, until now it was just a matter of considering how to power it up. However, I am taking a stance where we are constructing this title from square one and considering as if everything Guilty Gear brings to the table was temporarily gone but the things that were good remain.”

Katano: “The Guilty Gear series and other Arc System Works games have mostly approached the Japanese market and have been strong titles among Japanese gamers. With this title, I want to challenge approaching an even wider international audience with it’s game system and promotion. I don’t intend for it to be a game that appeals only to original Guilty Gear players or those who were born and raised playing in an arcade. I’d like it to be a game that you can play fairly on any device.”

Ishiwatari: “Guilty Gear until now has mainly been an arcade game and many people play it with a fight stick, and that’s the standard that we developed it with. However, shifting our focus abroad, there are a lot of players who use a regular controller instead of the fight stick. So more than before we are thinking, ‘Well, how will this play on the regular controller?’ Because of the competitive nature of what we were thinking about, the more we delve in, the more difficult it became. In this Guilty Gear, we decided to not focus the competitiveness on doing difficult combos.”

If we delve into it, the difficult thing becomes the competitiveness involved, and it may stop the competing with difficult combos of current Guilty Gear.”

—May appeared in the recent trailer, and it looked like some time had passed and she is more mature. Time-wise, does the story take place after Rev2?

Ishiwatari:
“It’s not that the time period has changed, but the design has changed. As for the world setting, it continues from past titles, and the story doesn’t take place in the distant future. The story takes place after Rev2.”

—One of the things that stands out about Guilty Gear is the musical composition and background music, will that be the same for this title as well?

Katano:
“The theme song this time was thanks to Naoki Hashimoto, the same as with Xrd. Ishiwatari is in charge of music as well.”

Ishiwatari: “Since the designs have been tweaked, there may be some differences.”

—The most exciting scene from the trailer was when the characters got blown away and the stage change. Considering past Arc System Works titles, I suspect that this is not just for show and has a systematic purpose. Would this be correct?

Ishiwatari:
“Our specialty is to put everything into the balance and philosophy of a fighting game. This is surely not just for show.”

—There’s going to be a playable demo at ARC Revo America 2019. Can you tell us what will be there?

Katano:
“It won’t have all the features, but you can get an overall feel of the game. Please look forward to future news regarding which characters you will be able to use. Also, while we have announced that it will be released for PlayStation 4, it is not a PlayStation 4-exclusive title. For more information such as other hardware, please look forward to further news in the future.”

New Guilty Gear is due out for PlayStation 4 in 2020.

Last edited:
I really like Axl Low's redesign.

EFq8lsmWoAAm_AH.jpg

GGNew-Axl_09-29-19.jpg

Below are his old designs:

axl-low-comparison.jpg

So far all of the redesigns in this new entry look great. Everyone has a seasoned look to them.

Last edited:

Teslerum

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi This was a serious question btw. I'm no expert on Guilty Gear and have only really played the Xrd series (and read up on lore), but wasn't Axl's storyline not about how there aren't really alternate realities/multiple timelines in the Guilty Gear series and him going back to his original time would straight up destroy the present?

Or did I misinterpret that whole thing?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi This was a serious question btw. I'm no expert on Guilty Gear and have only really played the Xrd series (and read up on lore), but wasn't Axl's storyline not about how there aren't really alternate realities/multiple timelines in the Guilty Gear series and him going back to his original time would straight up destroy the present?

Or did I misinterpret that whole thing?
I don't know if going back would destroy the present, but yeah he's definitely a time-traveller trying to get back to his own era. I-No is sort of his rival/opposite in this regard since she also seems to be a time-traveller (and comes from the future, so I think there can be multiple timelines/realities in GG)

I don't pretend to know a whole lot about the lore other than the character bios and the basic plot from game to game.

Shin

Banned
That's lit, animation looks more fluid/natural and the redesigns just awesome.
GG3rd was a bit too "blocky" if that makes sense, this looks next-gen or what I'd imagine from a beat em up/fighting game to look like.

Nymphae

Banned
Translation of some new notes on the changed systems:

New Guilty Gear System Mechanics:
Airdash and double jump are still in the game.
Tension gauge is still in the game.
Throw is now 4/6D. Throws have whiff animations. This is true for airthrows as well.
Throws are not 1f startup anymore and therefore lose to meaties. However, the startup is fast and it's good for abare.
There is a dash button (one button dash). 66 still dashes.
Weaker normals like 2P only gatling into command normals. (2P cancels into itself) (so as I understand it, P gatlings into P and command normals, and K gatlings into K and command normals)
Longer combos aren't present but c.S>5H does a lot of damage. Hard combos are not necessary.
Blocking mid dash is possible (without FD)
Grounded normals are air blockable (without FD)
When you hit the opponent with strong moves in the corner there is a wallbreak stage transition that places you slightly further than round start position?
(Only?) 2D hard knocks down. Other knock downs lead to an auto back tech wake up. (it's not only 2D. Sol's throw also has hard knock down)
No air tech.
OTGs after 2D do not have proration. Does a lot of damage. However, the knock back is big so it seems you can't get a 2nd hit in.
Dead Angle Attack is gone.
Finishing blows change some voice lines.
Dust Attack is still an overhead. Knocks back pretty far horizontally.
Dust Attack wallbounces (might be wallstick) when it hits in the corner which allows for a combo. The homing followup is only available on counter hit, but the single hit of the dust does a sizable amount of damage.
Dust's startup is faster for all characters.
Generally speaking, combos from overheads are not possible midscreen.
Some moves have a cinematic on counter hit.
Chip damage exists but chip kills do not.
No stun. No stagger. No Blitz. No Danger Time.
Wakeup timing has been standardized across all character. Advantage is still different based on how you got the knockdown.
Stylish mode exists.
When the RISC Gauge is above a certain amount, attacks are forced counter hits. FD prevents the RISC Gauge from going up.
Blocking in the air makes the RISC Gauge increase by a lot.
RISC Gauge management is an important point in this game.
Instant Block does not decrease blockstun, but gives meter.
Corner combos are much more free form than before (for example, combos from regular throw, 2D>Horizontal Dolphin x 3>6H, etc.). Three hits in the corner and the opponent is wall splatted, another hit after that causes the wall break transition.
There are still new characters and new moves coming.

Roman Cancel:
Uses 50% tension. It still cancels your current action as it did in previous games. It has a circular effect.
If done while the opponent is in hitstun, it will be a red circle effect and has a hitbox. If the hitbox of the RC hits, it floats the opponent and slows them down.
If done while the opponent is not in hitstun. It has a blue circle effect. If the opponent is inside the effect, they slow down.
When slowed down or hit by guard cancel RC, the opponent will have a clock effect on them.
While the clock effect is on the opponent, the slow down is active (2K>2K will combo after the RC) (I am pretty certain he's saying that the slowdown persists even after a move makes contact)
Guard cancel RC exists (Air OK). It blows the opponent far back and puts them in a special blow back state. The opponent can block while in this blow back state. Dead Angle Attack doesn't exist so this is a simple replacement.
You can do an RC without slowdown and there's a lot of 'mischief' you can do with the new RC system (but details were withheld).

---

To me it sounds pretty drastically different mechanically. I love how it looks but a lot of these changes sound kind of iffy to me, and are sure to piss off the GG fanatics (Longer combos aren't present but c.S>5H does a lot of damage)

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned

Throw is now 4/6D. Throws have whiff animations. This is true for airthrows as well.
Throws are not 1f startup anymore and therefore lose to meaties. However, the startup is fast and it's good for abare.
Weaker normals like 2P only gatling into command normals. (2P cancels into itself) (so as I understand it, P gatlings into P and command normals, and K gatlings into K and command normals)
Longer combos aren't present but c.S>5H does a lot of damage. Hard combos are not necessary.
When you hit the opponent with strong moves in the corner there is a wallbreak stage transition that places you slightly further than round start position?
(Only?) 2D hard knocks down. Other knock downs lead to an auto back tech wake up. (it's not only 2D. Sol's throw also has hard knock down)
No air tech.
OTGs after 2D do not have proration. Does a lot of damage. However, the knock back is big so it seems you can't get a 2nd hit in.
Dust Attack wallbounces (might be wallstick) when it hits in the corner which allows for a combo. The homing followup is only available on counter hit, but the single hit of the dust does a sizable amount of damage.
Wakeup timing has been standardized across all character. Advantage is still different based on how you got the knockdown.
Stylish mode exists.
When the RISC Gauge is above a certain amount, attacks are forced counter hits. FD prevents the RISC Gauge from going up.
Corner combos are much more free form than before (for example, combos from regular throw, 2D>Horizontal Dolphin x 3>6H, etc.). Three hits in the corner and the opponent is wall splatted, another hit after that causes the wall break transition.

Roman Cancel:
Uses 50% tension. It still cancels your current action as it did in previous games. It has a circular effect.
If done while the opponent is in hitstun, it will be a red circle effect and has a hitbox. If the hitbox of the RC hits, it floats the opponent and slows them down.
If done while the opponent is not in hitstun. It has a blue circle effect. If the opponent is inside the effect, they slow down.
When slowed down or hit by guard cancel RC, the opponent will have a clock effect on them.
While the clock effect is on the opponent, the slow down is active (2K>2K will combo after the RC) (I am pretty certain he's saying that the slowdown persists even after a move makes contact)
Guard cancel RC exists (Air OK). It blows the opponent far back and puts them in a special blow back state. The opponent can block while in this blow back state. Dead Angle Attack doesn't exist so this is a simple replacement.
You can do an RC without slowdown and there's a lot of 'mischief' you can do with the new RC system (but details were withheld).

---

To me it sounds pretty drastically different mechanically. I love how it looks but a lot of these changes sound kind of iffy to me, and are sure to piss off the GG fanatics (Longer combos aren't present but c.S>5H does a lot of damage)

Fighting games are one of the few cases where I don't mind simplifications and appeals to more mainstream audiences.

The whole genre is a fucking mess. The focus on e-sport horsefuck has ruined it. They need to start making them for humans again.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

No air tech.
Stylish mode exists.

Roman Cancel:

---

Sounds interesting. Team Red knows how to simplify without gutting the spirit of the game.

The proof will be in the playing, of course. The camera adjustments mid-fight really feel... unsettling. I don't know how I feel about it.

The speed of the combat still appears to be there.

Life

Fighting games are one of the few cases where I don't mind simplifications and appeals to more mainstream audiences.

The whole genre is a fucking mess. The focus on e-sport horsefuck has ruined it. They need to start making them for humans again.

It's a shame that fighting games are where they are now - and a company with no history in it, is probably about to show them how it should be done. That is if Riot release a free-to-play fighting game that has lots of character variety, frequent patching/balancing, no-fucking-story-mode cos who cares/, financial incentive to compete and play online.

As for the others, yeah, keep spending dev time on nice cutscenes and a story mode no one cares about. It'll get you you the sales you want, but it'll also keep this competitive genre from going truly mainstream.

dirthead

Banned
It's a shame that fighting games are where they are now - and a company with no history in it, is probably about to show them how it should be done. That is if Riot release a free-to-play fighting game that has lots of character variety, frequent patching/balancing, no-fucking-story-mode cos who cares/, financial incentive to compete and play online.

As for the others, yeah, keep spending dev time on nice cutscenes and a story mode no one cares about. It'll get you you the sales you want, but it'll also keep this competitive genre from going truly mainstream.

The Riot game will obviously be designed for potatoes though.

People always seem to forget that fighting games are showcase games. Street Fighter 2 had top of the line graphics when it came out. Fighting games should be THE BEST LOOKING VIDEO GAMES. Computationally, they're one of the most simplistic genres you can make. Very few complex objects on screen. You can just BLOW resources on a very limited set of assets. They should basically look like high quality CG at this point. The hardware resources are there to do it. Yet for some reason they're almost all budget crapola.

You can use Smash Bros as an argument that graphics don't matter in fighting games, but I'm always hesitant to use Nintendo games as an example for anything, because Nintendo fanboys are such freaks that they'll eat up basically any slop Nintendo squeezes out.

Life

The Riot game will obviously be designed for potatoes though.

Doesn't take much to run a fighting game - not to mention if they keep full graphics options too.

Edit: sorry about the double post? No delete option?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Like I said - it's there so they meet the sale numbers. I'm talking about a fighting game that comes and stays.

So...people do care about them as evidence by sales numbers.

Making a competent competitive fighter shouldn't mean you can't make a decent arcade mode/story mode for the people who aren't tournament goers or online warriors. Sales do matter.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
43 minutes of gameplay from the demo.

I like what I'm seeing so far, but there are some concerns.

+ the camera shifts are far less prominent than the trailers let on. This still looks like a normal 2D plane fighter.
+ speed of animations, transition between moves, etc seems comparable to Xrd
+ barrier-breaking cutscenes are brief and non-intrusive to the flow
+ characters showcased seem to have a very similar (if not same) set of normals and specials. Obviously, what will chain together remains to be seen
+ backgrounds look great

- the appearance of the characters look "smudged", at least in the footage.
- the universal mechanics are definitely being simplified
- seems like Dust is being turned into a more universal launcher and will likely get a lot more usage

Labolas

Overall, I think the game will still have so sick stuff that only Guilty Gear can do. But boy am I going to miss how throw and Dust worked in previous GGs.

Top Bottom