• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy VII Remake Gets Screenshots Show Spectacular Limit Breaks, Locations, and More

stationzones

Neo Member
We've been speculating on this game for years, and I don't believe any of us had any idea how good this game would turn out. It's already looking polished and the combat looks streamlined and intuitive. It's modernized for our fast-paced lifestyle yet holds the core of traditional Final Fantasy, through and through.. I'm excited about the girls as well, Aerith, Yuffie. By the way, will Cloud
be doing the thing with the dress
again?

//DEVIL//

honestly speaking, this is either the best looking PlayStation or game in general including PC games ( and I am a pc master race ) or this is just from next gen dev kit.

the graphics are too good to be true . I am expecting some sort of downgrade somewhere with a PS5 Ultra HD version day one with the console

stickkidsam

Well this image doesn't fill me with confidence that they will handle Sephiroth well in this. Seeing him pop up in the trailers leads me to believe that any sinister mystique of the character in this part of the story will be destroyed by overexposure. In the original players wouldn't know what he looked like till the flashback in Kalm, unless you read the manual or promotional materials.

Secondly, the black wing looks daft and brings to mind Crisis Core and all the unnecessary back story that came with it. If all that gets added it will ruin the story for me. But that is just my opinion, man.
Of all the things I'm worried about, this absolutely is it.

The guys working on this clearly have a lot of for the project and I have no doubt they are going to do a lot of stuff really well.

What I'm not so sure about is their ability to FUCKING PACE THE GOD DAMN VILLAIN AND NOT PARADE HIM AROUND. I really want to see him be the ominous and looming threat he was in the original. Impressions from Maximilian Dood have left me pretty hopeful though. Apparently the past is not shying away from the brooding atmosphere or the dark tones.

By the way, will Cloud be doing the thing with the dress again?
Yup. It has been confirmed that they are still doing that.

Last edited:
Of all the things I'm worried about, this absolutely is it.

The guys working on this clearly have a lot of for the project and I have no doubt they are going to do a lot of stuff really well.

What I'm not so sure about is their ability to FUCKING PACE THE GOD DAMN VILLAIN AND NOT PARADE HIM AROUND. I really want to see him be the ominous and looming threat he was in the original. Impressions from Maximilian Dood have left me pretty hopeful though. Apparently the past is not shying away from the brooding atmosphere or the dark tones.
One thing about Sephiroth I took from the orginal...
was that he never really knew Cloud and only reacted to him when (real) Cloud attacked him in the (real) Nibelheim flashback. After that I always thought that any interaction was an expression of Jenova's will within Cloud's psyche and the 'clones' etc., and not really Sephiroth at that stage as his body was in the North Crater and his mind was not his own, more of a synthesis of Jenova.

In Advent Children, when he appears at the end, he addresses Cloud as if he knew him personally all along. The new trailers seem to do the same. Not really a fan of that, as Sephiroth the hero and Sephiroth the villain were both sort of unrequited emotions from Cloud towards the No.1 SOLDIER. Hopefully the new writers will recognise this in the remake.

Ichabod

Banned
Playing this looks like it's going to check off a big bullet point on any rpg gamer's bucketlist. If Square ever gives Chrono Trigger a remake of this caliber, I'll be able to die a happy man.

Dacon

Banned
Playing this looks like it's going to check off a big bullet point on any rpg gamer's bucketlist. If Square ever gives Chrono Trigger a remake of this caliber, I'll be able to die a happy man.

I want to keep the dream alive but Square has buried the Chrono series under a mountain of crap that I don't think they can dig out of.

Aggelos

Hardy Daytona Art-Figure

Combined nicely with the FF7Remake version of "Those Who Fight"

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Totally agree! His theme and that of his village are among my fave in the whole game, plus the whole backstory with him legit got me to tear up. God what a game!

I can't wait :messenger_smiling_hearts:

EscifAJ.jpg

It will be stratospheric epic.

PfSL4VJ.gif

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Good on them for this hustle. It is pretty genius of them to set this up so they sell final fantasy 7 remake games for the next 20 years.

danielberg

Neophyte
Good on them for this hustle. It is pretty genius of them to set this up so they sell final fantasy 7 remake games for the next 20 years.
No not 20 years lol but i think they will use the entire next gen to just release FF7 3 or 4 parts whatever, kinda like FF13,13-2,returns on last gen, i honestly dont expect a new numbered FF next gen.

gatti-man

Well this image doesn't fill me with confidence that they will handle Sephiroth well in this. Seeing him pop up in the trailers leads me to believe that any sinister mystique of the character in this part of the story will be destroyed by overexposure. In the original players wouldn't know what he looked like till the flashback in Kalm, unless you read the manual or promotional materials.

Secondly, the black wing looks daft and brings to mind Crisis Core and all the unnecessary back story that came with it. If all that gets added it will ruin the story for me. But that is just my opinion, man.
Agreed. They should really clean up his story and ignore crisis core. Either return him to elusive or give him some kind of prologue that’s less ridiculous.

Orenji Neko

Agreed. They should really clean up his story and ignore crisis core. Either return him to elusive or give him some kind of prologue that’s less ridiculous.

Feel the same way.

The way they handled Sephiroth in the original was great: he was elusive, legendary, you only heard about him, or he was name dropped, and it's much later that you finally see him (and it's via a flashback). He's not my favorite FF villain by any means, but he was built up very well.

D.Final

Banned
I am so hyped for this game and I really hope it convinces Square to redo FF8,FF9 and ultimately FFX/X-2. Oh man oh man oh man.

As much as I love Final Fantasy VIII and IX, I think it would be very curious for me to see a ipothetical
Final Fantasy VI Remake.

Because, in this way, we can see a radical and extreme transformation of the game world beyond the limit, from 2D to ultra-realistic 3D.
(a technical / graphic transformation even greater than the comparison between original Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VII Remake)

Overexposure can be much worse than underexposure in story telling - so we shall see how it turns out :-/

Poordevil

I never played FFVII. In fact I have never played any Final Fantasy game. I have played and enjoyed other JRPGs, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Dragon Quest VIII, but never jumped on board with Final Fantasy.

D.Final

Banned
I never played FFVII. In fact I have never played any Final Fantasy game. I have played and enjoyed other JRPGs, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, Dragon Quest VIII, but never jumped on board with Final Fantasy.

Maybe you could start playing them.

My favorites are Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy XV.

stickkidsam

Still showing Concept Arts when the game is suposed to be months away from release? I have a bad feeling about this.
It's nothing out of the ordinary for square to be showing concept art up to launch. I'm actually pretty glad the game isn't getting every thread of it's pretty panties exposed.

stickkidsam

Well, it's a remake, what could they spoil at this point?
I'd just like to see the game be released as a game and not an event.

It's just kind of a bummer that marketing won't leave any room for surprises these days, especially with remakes. It's why I worry about the pacing of Sephiroth in the remake, because the trailers are pretty happy to show him off so far.

D.Final

Banned
I'd just like to see the game be released as a game and not an event.

It's just kind of a bummer that marketing won't leave any room for surprises these days, especially with remakes. It's why I worry about the pacing of Sephiroth in the remake, because the trailers are pretty happy to show him off so far.

For the moment we have seen Sephiroth only once in the trailers of Final Fantasy VII Remake.
I therefore think that the next trailer will have as its focal point the revelation of as many new characters to reveal.
(like Red XIII for example)

danielberg

Neophyte
THE WATCHERS OF ETERNITY!!1!!
i still want to punch someone at SE for that, FF7 had never any godlike beings who look over history/destiny or some similar FF12 or FF13 garbage, i hope i am wrong and if not that this shit is the only misstep.
If they suddenly add destiny, prophecy and other SHIT that has no place into the game they truly fuck it up on purpose.

Last edited:
Still showing Concept Arts when the game is suposed to be months away from release? I have a bad feeling about this.
Don't look too into things. They have gamescom and TGS coming up. They aren't gonna show footage when two major events are coming that have way more exposure.

D.Final

Banned
I think that the Watchmen of Fate will be surely something related to Sephiroth and Jenova.
And I think they could also be a more "ethereal" representation of the same figures with cloaks and hoods in black that are found the first time upon arrival in Nibelheim before reaching the Northern Crater for the first time.

stickkidsam

For the moment we have seen Sephiroth only once in the trailers of Final Fantasy VII Remake.
I therefore think that the next trailer will have as its focal point the revelation of as many new characters to reveal.
(like Red XIII for example)
That's kind of my point though; we don't need a bunch of reveals for every character. Show off new gameplay, but keep the story reveals to a minimum so we can experience it with fresh eyes.

Sephiroth being in the trailers at all has me worried about the pacing of the game itself, but I'm just gonna cross my fingers I guess.

i still want to punch someone at SE for that, FF7 had never any godlike beings who look over history/destiny or some similar FF12 or FF13 garbage, i hope i am wrong and if not that this shit is the only misstep.
If they suddenly add destiny, prophecy and other SHIT that has no place into the game they truly fuck it up on purpose.
Yeaaaaahhh... I am REALLY not optimistic about this. I have a lot of faith in the FFVII team, but this? This has me worried about how badly they will cheapen the events of the game in favor of some secret God plot. Can't just have characters do crazy shit. No it has to be GOD that made it happen.

D.Final

Banned
That's kind of my point though; we don't need a bunch of reveals for every character. Show off new gameplay, but keep the story reveals to a minimum so we can experience it with fresh eyes.

Sephiroth being in the trailers at all has me worried about the pacing of the game itself, but I'm just gonna cross my fingers I guess.

The point is not that they need it.
The fact is that it is very likely that each character will have his trailer.
(however small or large)

Because they serve as an introduction to the players of the new generation, and for all those who have never played the original Final Fantasy VII.
And from the point of view of today's market, it is almost obvious that this is the case in the end.

That said, they will undoubtedly also try to limit themselves to showing all the new material created specifically for the Remake, of course.
But I also believe that, with Nomura, there will be numerous spoilers in the trailers that will arrive near the launch date of the game.
(as already happened with KH3)

Aggelos

Alex Moulaka's intepretation of what the full Boss Battle Music from FF7 Remake (known as "Those Who Fight Further") could sound like. It's based on the E3 2019 gameplay demo in some parts, while other parts are originally arranged by Moulaka based on Nobuo Uematsu's OST from 1997.

Myths

^thats pretty intense, I enjoy the added orchestra.

Can this be the new boss theme for Emerald weapon?

Really love the jazzy feel to it, kind of reminds me of Groovy Chocobo by Uematsu with a whole lot of Hamauzu. The bass slides take me back to FFV, again, greatness by Uematsu at that time...

Last edited:
Top Bottom