• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores (Halo 2 = GTA:SA > MGS3 > MP 2)

Hells yeah. The 5 best games of the year are looking to be Halo 2, GTA SA, MGS3, Ninja Gaiden, and ESPN NFL 2K5. One great year for games!

AniHawk

novery said:
Oh cool! Seeing that you've played all three Anihawk, I'm curious of which of the three you liked the most?

San Andreas. I don't like the Metroid Prime games, and Halo 2 while great, wasn't a huge step up for me.

Socreges

Banned
Teddman said:
MP2: Echoes is simply not as good a game as Halo 2 and GTA:SA.

That's the cold, hard truth
I didn't even think all that much about MP (~8.5). And will certainly prefer Halo 2 and GTA:SA to Echoes. Yet I have to say that you may, indeed, be partially retarded if you think there is such a truth for everyone.

Teddman

Bregor said:
So why are you presuming to speak for them as to their reasons for the scores?
I'm not, but I've also played all three games and I feel as they do--MP2 is the least of them. You see good brother Anihawk backs me up. Socreges just backed me up. And so do the EGM scores.

Teddman said:
I'm not, but I've also played all three games and I feel as they do--MP2 is the least of them. You see good brother Anihawk backs me up. And so do the EGM scores.
]

meh. Where is chespace when you need him. At least you get some sort of objectivity/logic to his reasoning.

Teddman

TheGreenGiant said:
]At least you get some sort of objectivity/logic to his reasoning.
Yes, we need more of the kind of objectivity and logic exhibited by folks who vociferously call into question the reviews of games they haven't played.

AniHawk

Let it be noted that I also wasn't really *into* the first Halo. Going solo was not a lot of fun. Though when I was playing co-op, it provided some really memorable moments
like the Great Escape at the end :)

I would have held off on Metroid Prime 2 if it wasn't for the fact my sister was hospitalized, and I wanted to get her the preorder shirt. :| (This was BEFORE I sold my GC btw, early-October).

Shoryuken

Teddman said:
I'm not, but I've also played all three games and I feel as they do--MP2 is the least of them. You see good brother Anihawk backs me up. And so do the EGM scores.

You do understand that Anihawk is being facetious? Notice how he says that all three of those games are overated, but then lists his scores to be exactly the same as EGM's. Also there is no way you could have played through all three of these games (possibly two, but that's really stretching it). So you have no room to say which game is definitively better (even in your own opinion).

Socreges

Banned
Teddman said:
I'm not, but I've also played all three games and I feel as they do--MP2 is the least of them. You see good brother Anihawk backs me up. Socreges just backed me up. And so do the EGM scores.
Eh. I backed you up as far as my personal preference happening to align, but not in that there is a particular right or wrong for the game. Unless you mean just a right or wrong for EGM. Then... yeah. But no one's disputing that (besides werther).

shibbs

Aw, need more popcorn

popcorn.jpg

Teddman

Understood, Socreges. The "cold hard truth" I referred to was just in regards to what the review scores boiled down to mean about the relative quality of the three games (in EGM's opinion). Of course I don't think it will be an essential truth held by everybody.

vireland

WOW! That's a lot of popcorn. What're they doing with all of that?

Cooking up a batch for their customers to throw during their performance.

"The Mummers' trademark is boisterous audience participation with ongoing cheers for the hero and his uprighteous comrades and boos and popcorn hurled at the villain. Popcorn sales last year totaled $40,000.00."

Sounds like fun. Wish they were closer.

Teddman said:
Yes, we need more of the kind of objectivity and logic exhibited by folks who vociferously call into question the reviews of two games they haven't played.

I have no problems with the scores. I think your attitude just comes across as bit up yourself. Instead of dissing MP2E as not as good, why not offer reasons. So, the world revolves around the EGM scores and your opinion? You review videogames for a living. That remark about opinions and assholes. I guess that's why there's more than 1 videogaming publication out there. They're all great games.

anihawk.. when did you play Halo2?

Teddman

I don't really want to seem elitist. It just struck me that all of the writers in this thread seemed reluctant to say what the scores clearly imply--that MP2 is the least of the bunch (even including MGS3).

On the other hand, I can't fathom why anyone would be bothered by a 9.3 score average. It just so happened that a lot of high-quality games came out in one month's time. In many other issues, MP2 surely would have taken GOTM.

Teddman said:
I don't really want to seem elitist. It just struck me that all of the writers in this thread seemed reluctant to say what the scores clearly imply--that MP2 is the least of the bunch (even including MGS3).

On the other hand, I can't fathom why anyone would be bothered by a 9.3 score average. It just so happened that a lot of high-quality games came out in one month's time. In many other issues, MP2 surely would have taken GOTM.

I guess that's that then. I think any idiot (okay not any idiot) can infer from the score that EGM thought MP2E is less good than Halo 2 and GTASA and MGS3. I'll reserve judgement til I played the rest (I though GTA SA is a 8.8 or thereabouts) Thanks for clarifying

AND don't forget R+C3. (again...) it did well.

Midas

Mr_Furious said:
I hate posts that make me have to look up the meaning of words :-\

Yeah.

"Ordet vociferously finns inte i lexikonet! "

The word vociferously does not exist in the lexicon. Haha. :D

Socreges

Banned
Teddman said:
That doesn't make any sense. Why WOULD they? Like you said, the scores suggest that MP2 isn't as good a game as those with higher scores. It's not as if anything in this thread has needed a reply to that. People* have only wondered what kept it from getting a higher scores besides the obvious "it isn't good enough".

* again, excluding werther

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
AniHawk said:
Though when I was playing co-op, it provided some really memorable moments
like the Great Escape at the end :)

I don't get it, are you talking about the very last part where you escape with the warthog? Because that's the only level in the game that DIDN'T work in co-op. If you tried to go in separate warthogs, the one lagging behind was just teleported to the first player at a certain point, thus resulting in him losing his warthog IIRC. So he ends up being forced to run, unless the first player decides to wait for him to jump on. But with the time restrictions, it's a bad idea. And even if you go in the same car, there's not much of a point for the second player in shooting anything. There are just too many enemies coming at you anyway. I found it more disturbing than helpful when trying to drive, actually, since the controller was constantly shaking.

AniHawk

Kiriku said:
I don't get it, are you talking about the very last part where you escape with the warthog? Because that's the only level in the game that DIDN'T work in co-op. If you tried to go in separate warthogs, the one lagging behind was just teleported to the first player at a certain point, thus resulting in him losing his warthog IIRC. So he ends up being forced to run, unless the first player decides to wait for him to jump on. But with the time restrictions, it's a bad idea. And even if you go in the same car, there's not much of a point for the second player in shooting anything. There are just too many enemies coming at you anyway. I found it more disturbing than helpful when trying to drive, actually, since the controller was constantly shaking.

That's what made it memorable for me.

"GET IN THE WARTHOG! GET IN THE WARTHOG! Come on, there's NO TIME!"

Then at the end she was shooting at all the covenant guys with 15 seconds left running down that little path up to the escape ship while I told her to just ignore them and keep going. Adding some realism myself improved the experience I had with the game.

Mooreberg

Is this the first time they've given two Platinums in one issue? Anyway, right on par with what I expected. GTA SA kicked off what could go down as the best six weeks in the history of gaming.

Kon Tiki

Banned
AniHawk said:

Then at the end she was shooting at all the covenant guys with 15 seconds left running down that little path up to the escape ship while I told her to just ignore them and keep going. Adding some realism myself improved the experience I had with the game.

Getting molested by my dad was 'memorable', does not mean it was enjoyable. Phew, glad I said that behind the spoiler tag. No one will know daddy.

What are the other games that EGM has awarded 'all-tens' scores to?

1st game to earn such a distinction in EGM's history IIRC: Super Monaco GP 1 (Genesis)

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Halo 1 (XBOX)

Metroid Prime 1(GC)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)

What else?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
AniHawk said:

I thought it was hard enough without having to wait for the second player though. With the sloppy handling of the warthog coupled with unexpected explosions around every corner and a seriously struggling framerate it became very, very frustrating on legendary. Both me and my friend had been having a lot of fun with the game, up until that point. :( And we couldn't just quit either, because then we would have to play the last level all over again.

AniHawk

Kiriku said:
I thought it was hard enough without having to wait for the second player though. With the sloppy handling of the warthog coupled with unexpected explosions around every corner and a seriously struggling framerate it became very, very frustrating on legendary. Both me and my friend had been having a lot of fun with the game, up until that point. :( And we couldn't just quit either, because then we would have to play the last level all over again.

Well we only got it on the sixth or seventh try. Could've been more.

And yeah, the warthog handling sucks.

Society: I didn't want to spoil what little bit was of the last part of the game for the few people who haven't played Halo.

Somebody seems to think EGM review scores are like the Koran or some shit.
Lets say I make some review scores(hypothetical).

MP: Echoes 10
MGS3 9
Halo 2 8
GTA: SA 7

According to this closed system MP2 is the best. gee. This means I'm right. You disagree? Look at my numbers. No explanation necessary. Refer back to itself. It has been written. I am an idiot. Weee. Fun.

(I'm not saying those are my scores. I've played none of those games and I think assigning games numbers and movies stars and the such is bullshit)

Kon Tiki

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:

1st game to earn such a distinction in EGM's history IIRC: Super Monaco GP 1 (Genesis)

Halo 1 (XBOX)

Metroid Prime 1(GC)

What else?
You forgot the first game: MGS. I do not think there was a 10 before MGS.

Mooreberg

MightyHedgehog said:

Halo 1 (XBOX)

Metroid Prime 1(GC)

What else?

Gran Turismo 3

VF4 came within a hair of straight tens (10, 10, 9.5)

Deg

Banned
efralope said:
that sucks, MP got 3 10's, basically they are saying this one is a downgrade...

Does it really matter? MKDD was a better game. Better than any game reviewed here. And what did that get? ;)

Clearly not worth bothering with mags opinions for multiplayer gaming at the very least as well.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Heliocentric said:

MGS3 9
Halo 2 8

According to this closed system MP2 is the best. gee. This means I'm right. You disagree? Look at my numbers. No explanation necessary. Refer back to itself. It has been written. I am an idiot. Weee. Fun.

(I'm not saying those are my scores. I've played none of those games and I think assigning games numbers and movies stars and the such is bullshit)
Hoe many times does it need to be explained? This is the first review for MP2, people are interested in the review.
The two games that received three 10s are availble for people to play and relate what a 10 means to them.

thorns

Banned
Heliocentric said:

MGS3 9
Halo 2 8

Except nobody gives a shit about your scores, and a lot of people seem to give a shit about EGM scores (judging by the 6+ papge thread antipacing the scores and 6+ page thread about the scores).

"GTA:SA 10,10,10 (GOTM)
Halo 2 10,10,10 (GOTM)"

I haven't played Halo 2, but how does a game with the technical flaws of GTA: SA get 10's?

Society said:
Hoe many times does it need to be explained? This is the first review for MP2, people are interested in the review.
The two games that received three 10s are availble for people to play and relate what a 10 means to them.

It's my inclination that placing a number next to the name of a game means nothing or at the least could mean any number of things unless there is an explanation using, say, the english language.
And if there's fault to be found it's usualy in the explanation as it relates to the number...heh... because that's what gives the number meaning. So, maybe I do find this cult of the review score misguided.
I'm sorry if I have put anybody out of having a good time blabbering up EGM scores, of if I come off as abrasive. I'm far more interested in the component of the review that has meaning rather than isolating the number from the actual review in which case devoid of context its meaning is so uncertain.

CrimsonSkies said:
"Because it's alot of fun?"

And 10's are now for fun? What is this GamePro?

I prefer to know how fun a game is, and 10's usually give you a good idea of that. I'd imagine alot of people would stop buying mags if they started reviewing games based on technical merits alone.

Floyd

Heliocentric said:
I'm not saying those are my scores. I've played none of those games and I think assigning games numbers and movies stars and the such is bullshit

The one giving the numbers is fine. To me they are basically saying, here use these numbers as a guide to help you make a decision on your purchase.

Its when people take the numbers as something more than that. The result being criminally insane threads like this one.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Heliocentric said:
It's my inclination that placing a number next to the name of a game means nothing or at the least could mean any number of things unless there is an explanation using, say, the english language.

Which is what we, or I at least, was trying to get out of the reviewers.

Kon Tiki

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
Halo 2 10,10,10 (GOTM)"

I haven't played Halo 2, but how does a game with the technical flaws of GTA: SA get 10's?

When a game gets to a certain amout of hype, it is impossible to rate it other wise. i.e. Halo 2.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tetris is a lot of fun and will never score a perfect 10 on any reliable magazine. Fun is the most important part scoring a game, but not the whole thing. I can see EGM's staffers points and I respect their opinions but I can't share them.

From my standpoint I think that both GTA:SA and Halo 2 are incredible games, but none of them deserve such high grades. BTW I also disagree on Killzone's score (too high IMHO) but it is not like all of us should have the same criteria ;)

Floyd said:
The one giving the numbers is fine. To me they are basically saying, here use these numbers as a guide to help you make a decision on your purchase.

I'm not trying to deny this point. I just think the numbers mean next to nothing without the writing that accompanies them. People can project whatever meaning they want to a number 10 but the connection between that 10 and a videogame EGM is reviewing is made with the writing in that review. This is where the review actually means something. There are countless EGM scores I've disagreed with but when I read what they say about the game I usually agree and I tend to hold what they say in higher regard than their scores which I often find faulty despite their keen insight and flashy wordplay.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
CrimsonSkies said:
Halo 2 10,10,10 (GOTM)"

Might as well ask how an FPS, let's call it Halo, got away with a perfect score when it's also technically flawed (ie obvious framerate issues). How, how did it happen?! ;)

Top Bottom