• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM Scores (Halo 2 = GTA:SA > MGS3 > MP 2)

JackFrost2012 said:
Suppose that the game was called "Space Hunter" instead of "Metroid Prime 2" - would the score have been higher or lower?

If Nintendo had released a mediocre sequel last year and Echoes was actually Metroid Prime 3 - not 2 - how would that affect the score?

If the EGM rating system was based on increments of .1 instead of .5, would the game have scored higher than a 9.0?

Is it true that the EGM staff is close personal friends with Tommy Tallarico and that he may have influenced your score for Metroid Prime 2?

Warp Pipe plans to support Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer mode online - did EGM take this into account when scoring the game?

If Nintendo had sent better freebies along with the Metroid Prime 2 reviewable, would you have given the game a better score?

Did you play the entire game in progressive scan mode? If not, do you plan to rereview the game in a future issue of EGM?

:lol

I just wanted to say a BIG THANKS to Gashprex for giving topping one of for the team. Thanks for the scores; now we can debate the real thing!

skip

Thats the second (or third) you said it does not feel like a Metroid game. :(

it totally 'feels' like a metroid game in that the usual item recovery bit is spot on, but the new location and different enemies "feel" just that: new and different.

JackFrost2012 said:
Suppose that the game was called "Space Hunter" instead of "Metroid Prime 2" - would the score have been higher or lower?

etc.

etc.

People are asking because he's answering. Do you understand that?

Kon Tiki

Banned
johnjohnson said:
Am I completely wrong or is there really people complaining about a 9, 9, 10 score?
I am trying to get impressions on a final version of my favorite game series. That means questioning the score, yes.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
GTA:SA and Halo 2, those scores were pretty much expected (or very close). MGS3 on the other hand, I've felt like it could go either way. So many more variables that could turn out either great or pointless and boring. Seems like it turned out great though.

And I would also like to hear some brief pros and cons about MGS3. I live in Sweden, so it's kind of hard for me to go out and buy the mag. :|

MarkMacD

Society said:
Ok, it just means it has more things wrong with it than the other games. :p I just want to know whats wrong.

While I, and I'm sure skip, honestly would like to go into detail here about what we liked and didn't like about the game, you have to understand that would basically amount to a web review, which would (rightly) piss off websites still under embargo and probably Nintendo as well.

So all we can do for now is let the printed reviews speak for themselves. Anyone who has the issue is free to quote a couple sentences from each--fair use and all that. Sorry I don't have one handy myself.

Society said:
Ok, it just means it has more things wrong with it than the other games. :p I just want to know whats wrong.

give it up already.

girl-crying.jpg

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Society said:
After reading those Metroid Prime 2 websites, I am anticipating a Metroid game (not necessarily MP2) that does not feel like a Metroid game. I want one that deals with the space program and the early days of Samus (or Mackenzie King). A real Prime game, one that has a person going into space for the first time, using new technology like the morphball, early suits and prototype weapons. I want this game to be made. :(

After you mentioned this in the other thread and me thinking about it for a minute i would KILL for retro to make a metroid like this for revolution. There are so many amazing possiblities.

Kseutron

halo 2 10/10/10

gta sa 10/10/10

jeez, how many cash did they get for that... :|

these are good games, but they're far far from being perfect

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kseutron said:
halo 2 10/10/10

gta sa 10/10/10

Uh oh. Here we go again. :p

I think they explained the whole "perfect score" thing a few pages back.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kseutron said:
halo 2 10/10/10

gta sa 10/10/10

Please read the thread before commenting. It was already explained that 10,10,10 doesn't mean perfect.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Kseutron said:
halo 2 10/10/10

gta sa 10/10/10

Aren't people supposed to read on message boards?

Joe

Kseutron said:
halo 2 10/10/10

gta sa 10/10/10

i will rape you.

vireland

I GAVE BATEN KAITOS A 6.5

And for that and the 8 for GG, I must thank you. Took the edge off the two 7's and put Growlanser Generations tied for the top console RPG score that issue. I knew you had taste. You're the print mag version of the Rip Torn character from Defending your Life - refined RPG palate compared to Albert Brooks' lowbrow ghetto taste buds.

Teddman

Seth C said:
Sounds about right. I was really excited about the game at E3, but the end result just gets so bogged down and boring.
I totally agree, unfortunately. I was psyched at E3 and enjoyed the game there, but after playing the OutRun2 OXM demo (even on LIVE) I was left pretty bored.

werther

Banned
something seems really wrong with gta getting straight 10s and ekkoes 9,9,10. A game in which the main focus is you drive from point A to B while in between you can get a haircut and act out your wigger fantasies, being scored perfect seems unnatural.

werther said:
something seems really wrong with gta getting straight 10s and ekkoes 9,9,10. A game in which the main focus is you drive from point A to B while in between you can get a haircut and act out your wigger fantasies, being scored perfect seems unnatural.

GTA is to go from point A to B? Have you ever even played the series?

werther said:

GTA:SA: only black?!
Echoes: black and white!!

EGM IS RACIST!

OR MAYBE NINTENDO FANS ARE STUPID!

ferricide

werther said:
your user icon is an incorrectly proportioned, html-resized picture of a bootleg kimagure orange road CD.

also: :rolleyes

Teddman

MP2: Echoes is simply not as good a game as Halo 2 and GTA:SA.

That's the cold, hard truth and what these kind magazine writers are dancing around so as not to hurt your feelings.

werther said:

07279903454sfx.jpg

I hate your candy, too!

Kon Tiki

Banned
Teddman said:
MP2: Echoes is simply not as good a game as Halo 2 and GTA:SA.

That's the cold, hard truth and what these kind magazine writers are dancing around so as not to hurt your feelings.

IYO you did not like MP1. You saying MP2 is not a good game means nothing to people who do like MP1.

Teddman

I liked MP just fine, had my problems with it but it was a good game. There are better games out there however, and that's exactly the situation you're seeing on display in this month's EGM.

9, 9, 10 is probably a generous score, please do not further strain the lengths EGM staff have gone to be polite and considerate about the game both in this thread and in their review.

Bregor

Teddman said:
I liked MP just fine, had my problems with it but it was a good game. There are better games out there however, and that's exactly the situation you're seeing on display in this month's EGM.

9, 9, 10 is probably a generous score, please do not further strain the lengths EGM staff have gone to be polite and considerate about the game both in this thread and in their review.

Are you EGM staff?

Brofist

werther said:

2173a.jpg

werther

Banned
I'm sorry if I came across kinda harsh.I admit I have a personal hatred towards GTA. When I finally got a PS2 last year I picked up vicecity and hated it. Does anyone esle think when we will look back on all these gta scores it will be like the old scores Toshiden recieved.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Teddman said:

Get off your horse so I can kick you in the ass. Jesus.

AniHawk

Bregor said:
Are you EGM staff?

Uh, yes he is.

werther: at least rent San Andreas. I hated Vice City with a passion, but quite enjoyed SA. You might be surprised.

I look back on Vice City's scores and think they're a bit silly. The game was basically an upgrade to GTA III instead of a full sequel. The story (mafia!) and setting (a city!) were pretty much the same too.

GTA III fully deserves whatever it received as it's basically the SM64 of this generation.

While I personally believe SA scores are too high, I can see where they're coming from at least. The game is really great and serves as a true sequel to Vice City and GTA III, and fixes many of the previous two game's problems while adding more diversity.

werther said:
I'm sorry if I came across kinda harsh.I admit I have a personal hatred towards GTA. When I finally got a PS2 last year I picked up vicecity and hated it. Does anyone esle think when we will look back on all these gta scores it will be like the old scores Toshiden recieved.

No.

Stop posting.

Top Bottom