• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Details on Avowed

Punished Miku

Gold Member

"If you think you have the chops (that is, experience, qualifications and passionate desire) to create AAA role-playing games, take a look and see if there is a position that suits you."

There's also some interviews that you can goole about. There's also one with MS in which they say that Obsidian is now an "AAA" studio.
I find that very surprising. They're the epitome of AA. Small budget Kickstarter games, medieval visual novel. Their biggest games were built on existing engines with existing combat systems (Fallout NV, KOTOR 2); plagued with bugs from obviously shoestring budgets and development times. I wouldn't call them AAA at all. They seem to want to make smaller and more experimental games. I guess they view it differently. I think just 14 people laid the groundwork for Grounded.

Last edited:

Flabagast

The trailer was very disappointing, with an ugly as hell cartoonish artstyle. Outer Worlds was straight up bad and boring.

However, Pentiment is excellent and Obsidian still has a very nice pedigree, so that could turn somewhat good if they rely on their strengths. But I am not too confident.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Made approachable for a broader audience, clicked off there.
What I find odd about these PR statements is that these videos are only watched by hardcore gamers. The wider audience will never see this marketing video. So why bother alienating the hardcore with this kind of talk? Just keep this as an internal metric and hope that it does come across in E3 trailers or tv spots that might be watched by the wider audience.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I find that very surprising. They're the epitome of AA. Small budget Kickstarter games, medieval visual novel. Their biggest games were built on existing engines with existing combat systems (Fallout NV, KOTOR 2); plagued with bugs from obviously shoestring budgets and development times. I wouldn't call them AAA at all. They seem to want to make smaller and more experimental games. I guess they view it differently. I think just 14 people laid the groundwork for Grounded.

It's directly related to their aquisition by MS and the consequent increase in budget. MS also mentioned in the same interview I remember that they (MS) want to expand The Outer Worlds into a big IP going forward. I think they're making a big mistake with the latter.

Stafford

More co-op causality due to Series S.

Star Trek GIF

I know you're kidding, but I am super happy this co-op focus is gone. I want these Obsidian RPGs to be SP focused. That's their strength. Let the Grounded team do co-op stuff.

Wonder what happened. Devs have praised creative freedom at Xbox, so maybe Obsidian asked and Phil/Xbox said they can go ahead and make it SP focused after all.

I became recently interested in this because I discovered it was in the Pillars of Eternity universe, but none of the promo materials really do it for me. Will still keep an eye on it in the end.

gothmog

Gold Member
Well I'm disappointed. Not sure with what, though. I'm glad they're abandoning the co-op thing but it sounds more like they should have cancelled and regrouped rather than pivot.

fatmarco

So the rhetoric seemed to be, post "The Outer Worlds vs Fallout 4", that Obsidian was a better developer than the Todd Howard led main studio of Bethesda...

It will be interesting to see if that discussion is as common after both Starfield and Avowed release (with budget and scope differences taken into account).

Will the over 13+ years of good will from Fallout New Vegas finally be dropped or will Obsidian prove they still have "it"?

Fredrik

Not sure all the hate? We are getting a new original SINGLE player IP RPG from obsidian. They pretty much only make great games. Isn’t this type of game EXACTLY what gaf members want?
Some GAF members want that, like me. Focusing on single player sounds awesome. And I know their writing is good. I think it’ll be a nice game between Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI, they just need time to polish it properly, no rush.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure all the hate? We are getting a new original SINGLE player IP RPG from obsidian. They pretty much only make great games. Isn’t this type of game EXACTLY what gaf members want?
If it turns out to be good I’ll give it a go for sure. I really enjoyed The Outer Worlds (which people seem to hate for some reason).

The most recent trailer was very underwhelming though. But I guess they still got plenty of time to tweak things.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think this will be anything else than Outer Worlds Fantasy Edition. And OW is OK but hardly a great game. I do think that Obsidian is over-rated, but that's not "hate". Now that Obsidian see themselves as an "AAA" studio they will have to compete with the big boys. OW:Fantasy won't cut it.

The fact that Larian are bad devs doesn't mean all of them are.

That must mean that MS's own software engineers must suck too, since they can't get Larian's game to work on Series S either.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I don't think it was trash but it was absolutely mediocre. And nothing about the trailer reassured anybody.

We went from "Obsidian's Skyrim" to whatever the hell it was they were showing.

Dude, explain to me what's the difference between "trash" and "absolutely mediocre".

tryDEATH

I think they are trying to temper and reign in the expectations quite a bit after the first trailer. As the actual gameplay footage hasn't looked anything like it. I think people were expecting a darker approach to the game world more similar to Skyrim instead we got a color explosion with less impressive graphics. Hopefully Xbox gives them all the necessary time for them to execute the game to their full vision and standard gamers expect. Please no more secondary projects from b-teams just to appease the studios without proper backing.

mrmustard

Banned
I remember countless people, including me, hating on the Monkey Island art style. Turned out people, including me, enjoyed the game nevertheless.

CamHostage

There's not a single DARK region showed in the trailer. I can only comment on what was showed.

Well, you could read some portion of the comment you're responding to before jumping in, because they address this concern...

The quoted insider of the developer says that the trailer had been sweetened for color/brightness, and that the released screenshots feel more representative of the current look the game in production. (Editors also probably picked scenes for clarity and visual brightness, and they didn't take note that the overall impression left out any sense of darkness.) There is that screen of a fire fight in a cave that is plenty dark outside of the flame's reach; a similar cavern is seen in the trailer but not portrayed as well.

Gameplay does show a worryingly tendency to over-light areas or add glowing elements to fill in dim spaces (worrying if you prefer atmosphere to seeing where you're going...) and there's an odd smoothness and saturation to the visual style which makes it look cartoony at times, but if they can more often than not achieve what the screens are aiming for versus the look of the gameplay trailer, that should bring Avowed more in line with expectations.

med_avowed_avowed-combat-02-cd5014f74b486344963a_1a050bdd-677a-43ea-a0df-f45c2d47b115.jpg

there are both dark and bright regions in the game.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I find that very surprising. They're the epitome of AA... Their biggest games were built on existing engines with existing combat systems (Fallout NV, KOTOR 2); plagued with bugs from obviously shoestring budgets and development times. I wouldn't call them AAA at all.

This has been clarified a few times elsewhere, but "AAA" is not a designated rank assigned to studios. It's not a Michelin Star determined by some executive board.

"AAA" is a simple (and WAY overused, and yet generally meaningless...) term to describe budgets and importance on the release slate of a company. It's a business term, and it has since been adapted into a marketing term (and thus a press/influencer term,) but it's nothing officially designated and it's all relational. (There is no real thing as being a "AA" developer. Any executive who is for whatever reason ranking the titles on their slate, for example, making a list of where to put trailers in a showcase, generally considers there being "AAA" and then "everything else".)

A large-scale RPG published by Microsoft advertised as a flagship product in marketing promotions can call itself AAA in a job req without much need to question who qualified it as such. Whether it lives up to gamers' expectations is a different matter; right now they're looking for staff experienced in working at top-tier levels.

You shouldn't read job postings expecting to find consumer-oriented information about a project. They're selling a job to a potential worker, and what "AAA" means in the job market isn't the same as what posters on forums would read into looking for some hype.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
I became recently interested in this because I discovered it was in the Pillars of Eternity universe, but none of the promo materials really do it for me. Will still keep an eye on it in the end.

Pretty much the same here. This last trailer was just a bad trailer hopefully. Got pretty far into PoE 2 and liked what I played of it.

Last edited:

CamHostage

More co-op causality due to Series S.

I'll also assume you're kidding, but co-op likely would not have been split-screen in the multiplayer version of Avowed. (The number of full-scale RPGs with untethered split-screen is... I don't know, how many games has Larian ever made?) Split-screen is what is holding up BG3 on Xbox; online co-op would/will presumedly work fine on Series S.

This game just doesn't look good to me. Honestly the last game I played that was any good from Obsidian was Fallout New Vegas. Everything else I played from them bored me to death (OW and Pillars).

Top Bottom