• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AVGN episode was done in one take!! No time? Muh kids? Not today!!

carlosrox

Banned
Maybe I'll give it a watch sometime.

AVGN just hasn't been the same for pretty much years. It feels way forced and just unfunny now.

He doesn't use the same intonations, voice, words, etc.

The old stuff is still great though, not taking anything away from his old work when surely he had more of a passion/was able to get into character better.

Digity

I enjoyed the new episode. I still have my copy of this game for ps1. It was great back in the day, it would probably hurt trying to play it now though.

AVGN got me through some hard times. I grew up with the same games. The wood paneling and all brings back memories of childhood.

Old AVGN was the best and I started watching him around 2008 or 2009.

His new stuff is like he tries too hard. Like all things that become big and popular, they loose the spark and creativity. The fame and fortune and higher quality of the production made everything that was great about AVGN lessen. It's weird too how he advertises for products now before the episodes.

I don't care much for anything outside AVGN, Board James and James and Mike. I like Bootsy and Mike Matei but don't care too much for his overweight movie friends that look like the stereotype of every comic book, sci-fi gamer nerd.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
His new stuff is like he tries too hard. Like all things that become big and popular, they loose the spark and creativity. The fame and fortune and higher quality of the production made everything that was great about AVGN lessen.
I still like his new stuff, but I agree that the old stuff just was a bit more interesting because it was more raw and somewhat edgier.
Not sure if that came from the higher production quality, though, it might just be him growing up and having other interests.
People change as they grow older, so why wouldn't their content, right?

It's weird too how he advertises for products now before the episodes.
How is that weird?
Dude has to make a living.

And, honestly, some of the ads he does are pretty great by themselves and I like watching them. Not all, but some.

Nickolaidas

AVGN got me through some hard times. I grew up with the same games. The wood paneling and all brings back memories of childhood.

Old AVGN was the best and I started watching him around 2008 or 2009.

His new stuff is like he tries too hard. Like all things that become big and popular, they loose the spark and creativity. The fame and fortune and higher quality of the production made everything that was great about AVGN lessen. It's weird too how he advertises for products now before the episodes.

I don't care much for anything outside AVGN, Board James and James and Mike. I like Bootsy and Mike Matei but don't care too much for his overweight movie friends that look like the stereotype of every comic book, sci-fi gamer nerd.
I think most of his best videos are in the middle of his AVGN time, but there are also quite a few gems in the old and newer days. Frankly, I think his best works were Big Rigs, followed by Seaman, Ninja Gaiden, Hong Kong 97, Friday the 13th, the Dracula games episode and the Jekyll and Hyde movie trailer. Maybe even the Predator review.

But yeah, the newest of the new videos seemed more focused on bringing a 'famous' guests rather than being actually funny.

Shaqazooloo

Good episode, he must've loved filming that beer pool scene.

Damn, I'm gonna have too much to play next month.

Last edited:

Kazza

Since this seems to have become the official Cinemassacre thread, this is probably the best place to post the news: Mike Matei is leaving the channel. He'll be focussing on his stream/twitch channel instead.

Wasn't he there from the very start , or was it always just James?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
James is not the same anymore. His new episodes are boring and he isnt playing the game.
Agree. Putting his old videos next to the new ones is the definition of soul vs souless.

Hestar69

Sucks Mike is leaving,But if anyone misses the old ,just watch mike on twitch. Maybe he was the REAL angry video game nerd after all lol.Pretty sure Mikes been there since day 1.

I love seeing him scream and get pissed at games.most recently one of my favorite games of all time Crystalis almost broke him,lol.

I actually had Bartman Meets Radioactive Man for the Game Gear. It looks as bad as I remember. It was my first lesson to never buy licensed games unless I thoroughly research them first.

and he isnt playing the game.
Trust me, having someone else play this game for you is a 500 IQ move. It is absolute garbage and not worth the hassle.

Having said that, I have my doubts about the "hE doEsN'T eVeN pLaY" crap anyway, considering the fact that his Ecco video didn't even make it to the good stuff. Why would he hire someone to play/beat Ecco for him... and then not even make it to the end of the game? Makes no sense lol

RNG

That means more videos featuring the Screenshit guys that nobody wants. Bring back Bootsy and Kyle.

Marc13

James is awesome. He made so many nerd episodes and other content that I've enjoyed since first discovering the channel many, many years ago. Glad he's still putting videos out!

Falcs

Banned
Yeah you can really tell the quality is just not there anymore. I still sometimes watch some of the new ones because I like James, but it's just not the same.

ProcHolidai

Neo Member
Call me crazy, but the best part of his videos to me has always been him explaining what makes certain video games bad. "What were they thinking!?" is what I'm there for, not the scatological humor. Based on that, the angled situation made it really hard to properly see the game he was making fun of, so I didn't even watch this video once I saw that was how the whole review was going to go. I hope he never does that again.
He doesn't even play the games anymore, that's why there is less description of WHY the game is bad. He hasn't played the fucking thing so he doesn't even know.

Kazza

Agreed, the Taito Legends episode was so boring

It still pulled in 1.2 million views though:

YALKJEH.png

As long as the videos keep on getting those kind of views, I guess he'll keep making them. I agree with the people who say that his heart doesn't really seem in it anymore. For him, it seems to be an ordinary 9-5 style grind now to put food on the table for his family. Nothing wrong with doing that, but I tend to just watch an earlier episode whenever I get an AVGN itch.

The video in OP is pretty cringe. Typical clickbait thumbnail with hella exaggerated "jokes". Not as bad as some of the other ANGRY VIDEOGAME REVIEWER theme though. Not worth the necro bump, wouldn't click again.

Last edited:

swaffles23

I haven't really liked AVGN since the screenwave guys came. I think the Berenstain bears episode was the last one I enjoyed. It's a shame, but I always go back and watch the early Nerd stuff when I need my fix.

Shrap

I haven't really liked AVGN since the screenwave guys came. I think the Berenstain bears episode was the last one I enjoyed. It's a shame, but I always go back and watch the early Nerd stuff when I need my fix.
You should check out the Earthbound video. The episode was done solely by James and it's one of his best. It's really in depth and shows how good he can be when he talks about something he connects with.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
James is not the same anymore. His new episodes are boring and he isnt playing the game.
AVGN was funny probably 10 years ago(?) when he did old gaming reviews with snide comments talking into a shitty mic.

Anything he does since then where it's non-gaming, scripted, and he's trying so hard to be a caricature is awful to watch. The guy is 40 years old too. It's like Paul Reubens playing Peewee Herman. Gets to a point where you got to move on.

So much better when he just gamed, made comments and wasn't trying to get face time like an actor.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Best AVGN episode in a long time. Calm, cool, and hilarious. No stupid skits, no awful fake screaming. Plenty of funny lines. It actually feels like one of his classic episodes like his Nintendo Power or Sega 32X/CD videos.
James and his team have figured out a pattern this year that seems to work. He goes back and forth between skit episodes to gameplay episodes week to week, so technically he is pleasing both fans with 2 episodes of each per month since opinions have been split. I suggest checking out his AVGN two episodes ago also (Darkman). It's more of that old AVGN style too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Best AVGN episode in a long time. Calm, cool, and hilarious. No stupid skits, no awful fake screaming. Plenty of funny lines. It actually feels like one of his classic episodes like his Nintendo Power or Sega 32X/CD videos.

Ya im watching now. Great one!

Oh awesome ending!

Last edited:
Soon his first season episodes will be older than how old those NES games were when he was reviewing them back in 2006. A few of these games might have passed that point already.
Thats a crazy thought. Especially because it seems like 2006 was just yesterday. The last years flew by compared to how life was in the 80s and 90s.

Lanrutcon

I recently rewatched all of James' stuff. He holds up. Like, his super early stuff has some cringy humor but he's so genuine that it's hard to get put off. The way he gets better at making those episodes and more ambitious as he goes on is very endearing.

Top Bottom