• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AVGN episode was done in one take!! No time? Muh kids? Not today!!

Reon

AVGN is great but the new writers do suck compared to what James can do on his own. But all in all James is a great person so I'll support him as long as he's making videos, even if some of them aren't as amazing as they used to be.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Man, what happened to this channel? I stopped watching for a few years, came back and Bootsy has been replaced by these huge slobs with zero charisma, James sounds like he gives zero shits anymore (I used to look forward to J&M Mondays), and AVGN feels like a caricature now. Sad to see.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Didn't Mike actually do most of it or am I mistaken?
Nobody knows. Apparently Mike helped out with some old episodes but that's what he says. James will never tell anybody.

Man, what happened to this channel? I stopped watching for a few years, came back and Bootsy has been replaced by these huge slobs with zero charisma, James sounds like he gives zero shits anymore (I used to look forward to J&M Mondays), and AVGN feels like a caricature now. Sad to see.
Yeah mhm yeah yeah aw haw ok. Kyle is gone too btw. Just Jimmy and the fat guys now. Oh and Mike.

bronk

Banned
Dude I really like that game so I was stoked for this episode and it was bad really really bad.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Probaby best that Bootsy is gone he came down with the TDS.

Did he? Checked his twitter and it doesn't look too bad. Still, regardless of his political beliefs his skills are undeniable, he'd leave James and Mike in the dust whenever they'd play together. His Battletoads series was one the best things to ever come out of Cinemassacre, wish he'd come back and do more solo stuff.

brap

Banned
I never actually watched the film, was it any good? I saw the ET "review" was just from the movie and said it wasn't the worse game of all time?
It's awful and bad on purpose. Me and a friend were hyped to watch it when it came out and were both disappointed.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Still like the show. I think he has mellowed out a lot with age. His passion now seems to be with his other cinnemasacre projects

EthicZH

Neo Member
Holy! He's still doing this? I remember watching him years ago when the channel started!
Doesn't he run out of content? What's different than before (see a lot of comments here complaining or saying it isn't the same)?

Last edited:

Katsura

Holy! He's still doing this? I remember watching him years ago when the channel started!
Doesn't he run out of content? What's different than before (see a lot of comments here complaining or saying it isn't the same)?
He does run out of content which i'm sure is one reason it's stagnated. Also, 10 years is a long time to do the same gimmick. Finally, and this is just me speculating, it seems like he lost motivation to do the role. I think James is more of a collector than a gamer and i'm certain he prefers movies and would like to focus on movie reviews instead. They have that rental store thing now for movie reviews but i'm guessing he is kinda forced to keep AVGN going since it's their most popular segment by far

EthicZH

Neo Member
He does run out of content which i'm sure is one reason it's stagnated. Also, 10 years is a long time to do the same gimmick. Finally, and this is just me speculating, it seems like he lost motivation to do the role. I think James is more of a collector than a gamer and i'm certain he prefers movies and would like to focus on movie reviews instead. They have that rental store thing now for movie reviews but i'm guessing he is kinda forced to keep AVGN going since it's their most popular segment by far

Wonder if his main source of income is still from Cinemassacre/Youtube or if he does other stuff.
I just checked and his videos still seem to be doing alright views wise, but like you said the man might possibly tired of playing the same character over this long period of time.

Enjay

Banned
Angry Joe tried doing the easy sit around and talk about old movies for the easy money too.

Pansy

Some of his recent episodes have been cringey. Anybody remember when he hired Gilbert Gottfried to play the character of 'Fred Fuchs'? That was the first time I actually frowned while watching one of his videos.

This episode brought me back to when I was a kid looking all over the city for a copy of Mortal Kombat for Sega CD. Finally found it in a Funcoland in Brooklyn. Good times.
Some of his recent episodes have been cringey. Anybody remember when he hired Gilbert Gottfried to play the character of 'Fred Fuchs'? That was the first time I actually frowned while watching one of his videos.
Oh come on, that was a great callback out of left field. The fact that Gottfried played the character only reflects on Gottfried himself, because the guy isn't getting any Hollywood jobs anymore.

_Ex_

Nothing against James whatsoever, but I am genuinely surprised people still eat up his AVGN shtick after all these years.

I was equally surprised to learn that Zero Punctuation is still going on. Talk about a gag with legs.

These newer episodes just don't build momentum like the old ones did. It seems like he gets angry out of nowhere to check a box whereas in the older episodes there was an arc to his frustration. They actually put in effort to make the episode feel like he was sitting down playing the game but that's lost now.

I think a big part of it is the new writers but it's not like James is stepping in to correct them.

buizel

Banned
never seen the appeal; he seems very monotone in that video

thenn again the only other AVGN i seen is mario 3

JSoup

Banned

I like that he was showing the Tiger Electronics version and was like "Mine is broken, so I can't show it" and my first thought was "Emulators exist for that shit now"....only for him to talk about it and then use it. This actually prompted me to check the archive and see what other than Tiger has been backed up.

Pansy

This episode brought me back to when I was a kid looking all over the city for a copy of Mortal Kombat for Sega CD. Finally found it in a Funcoland in Brooklyn. Good times.

Oh come on, that was a great callback out of left field. The fact that Gottfried played the character only reflects on Gottfried himself, because the guy isn't getting any Hollywood jobs anymore.

Gee I wonder why. :messenger_expressionless:

teezzy

Banned
James' biggest passion is movies.

He seems like hes so tired of doing the Nerd character at this point, but he sorta has to because money talks.

I've actually been watching a lot of his content in the background here while I've been working from home.

A lot of the old stuff holds up due to its simplicity and phrases like "ass vomit" still bring a smile to my face.

Good on ya James for lasting this long. I'm grateful you're still maintaining the schtick, for better or worse.

Remember Mark from Classic Game Room? Apparently that dude just reviews 80s comic books now. Weird.

Mildly entertaining though a rather low energy and dare I say, low effort video.

Also surprised he didn't bring up BloodStorm. Aside from being Time Killers' quasi-spiritual successor and an actual MK rip-off, the infamous Johnny Cage marketing alone should have garnered it a mention

f9fPryk.jpg

Last edited:

K.N.W.

Mildly entertaining though a rather low energy and dare I say, low effort video.

Also surprised he didn't bring up BloodStorm. Aside from being Time Killers' quasi-spiritual successor and an actual MK rip-off, the infamous Johnny Cage marketing alone should have garnered it a mention
Watching this episode I realized that people have been playing for years ASS-ASS-in's Creed. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

mcjmetroid

Nah, it seemed like once his movie flopped he lost all drive to make anything AVGN related.
Bless his heart. I really wanted to like that movie but even with the low expectations I had it was still a really bad nerd episode and longer

Top Bottom