• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Most Anticipated Game of 2016 (Voting has been over for weeks)

1) Persona 5
2) Uncharted 4
3) Xcom 2
4) Dungeon Defenders 2
5) No Man's Sky
6) Ratchet & Clank
7) Horizon
8) Fire Watch
9) The Witness
10) Fire Emblem: Fates

Lunar FC

1. Firewatch
2. Uncharted 4
3. Ratchet and Clank
4. Sea of Thieves
5. Below
6. No Man's Sky
7. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn
9. TrackMania Turbo
10. Persona 5

1. Gravity Rush 2: Gravity Rush was my favorite new IP of the past five years or so. Kat is an absolutely wonderful character, the world looks brilliant, the traversal in the best there is, and dat soundtrack.

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn: The E3 gameplay demo really blew me away. Guerrilla is a talented studio and picked up a few key people to make this game incredible. Robo dinosaurs, son.

3. The Last Guardian: It's here. The follow up to the greatest game.

4. Uncharted 4: Nathan Drake's last story. Should be full of thrills and awesome set pieces and witty banter. The level design looks better than ever. ND continues to lead the way.

5. Ratchet and Clank: Maybe my favorite franchise since I was a kid. Insomniac always delivers and this looks simply wonderful.

6. Persona 5: P4G clicked with me for a little while but I lost interest. I'm ready to jump back in though. The style is irresistible.

7. NiER Automata: Never played the first but Platinum can do no wrong and this looks awesome. So much praise for the original that I can't resist.

8. Final Fantasy XV: Never played a Final Fantasy before. This looks like the time for me to start.

9. Ni-Oh: Samuraaaiiiii

10. Dark Souls 3: Never played a Souls game before but Bloodborne was far and away my GOTY this year so I just might need to jump in.

Interesting that only three of these are Western games, very unusual for me since I typically lean towards western rather than Japanese games. Nice work, Japan.

DeathPeak

1. Gravity Rush 2: Gravity Rush was my favorite new IP of the past five years or so. Kat is an absolutely wonderful character, the world looks brilliant, the traversal in the best there is, and dat soundtrack.

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn: The E3 gameplay demo really blew me away. Guerrilla is a talented studio and picked up a few key people to make this game incredible. Robo dinosaurs, son.

3. The Last Guardian: It's here. The follow up to the greatest game.

4. Uncharted 4: Nathan Drake's last story. Should be full of thrills and awesome set pieces and witty banter. The level design looks better than ever. ND continues to lead the way.

5. Ratchet and Clank: Maybe my favorite franchise since I was a kid. Insomniac always delivers and this looks simply wonderful.

6. Persona 5: P4G clicked with me for a little while but I lost interest. I'm ready to jump back in though. The style is irresistible.

7. NiER Automata: Never played the first but Platinum can do no wrong and this looks awesome. So much praise for the original that I can't resist.

8. Final Fantasy XV: Never played a Final Fantasy before. This looks like the time for me to start.

9. Ni-Oh: Samuraaaiiiii

10. Dark Souls 3: Never played a Souls game before but Bloodborne was far and away my GOTY this year so I just might need to jump in.

Interesting that only three of these are Western games, very unusual for me since I typically lean towards western rather than Japanese games. Nice work, Japan.

I feel like this could go either way. It seems like it'll be drastically different from previous FFs that if you do like this, you may get turned off by previous entries. On the other hand, if you don't, hopefully it won't influence you to avoid the others. Have you ever been interested in playing other Final Fantasy games?

CrazyHal

1. Persona 5

2. Ni Oh

3. Dark Souls 3

4. Zero Escape 3

5. Nier Automata

6. The last guardian

7. Horizon Zero Dawn

8. Dishonored 2

9. Dragon Quest VII Remake

10. Gravity Rush 2

mreddie

1. Horizon
2. Uncharted 4
3. Ratchet and Clank
4. Shantae Half Genie Hero
5. Firewatch
6. No Man's Sky
7. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
8. Street Fighter V
9. Dishonored 2
10. Gravity Rush 2

haikira

Rot90Qm.png

1. DOOM : It's Doom. We've been waiting decades for a proper installment to this series. It doesn't get much bigger than this unless it was Half Life 3.
2. The Last Guardian : Team ICO's first game since the legendary Shadow of the Colossus back on the PS2. I just hope I'll have a PS4 by the time it releases.
3. Batman: A Telltale Games Series : This feels like a dream match. If Telltale can capture a detective story like they did with The Wolf Among Us then it could rival the Arkham series.
4. Horizon Zero Dawn : Most interesting new IP of this gen so far. I can't wait to finally see more of it.
5. Mirror's Edge Catalyst : The sequel and/or prequel and/or reboot of one of last gen's cult classics, but I'm not completely sold on the change to open world.
6. INSIDE : Limbo was one of my all-time favorite indie games and this follow-up game looks like a much more interesting concept.
7. Cuphead : I'm not entirely sol on the gameplay yet, but that art style is so unique and good that I can't resist.
8. ReCore : I know nothing about this game other than the fact that I really want it, but I need to see it in action first. Keep the new IPs coming!
9. Friday the 13th: The Game : I'm not going to sugarcoat it, the first footage looked bad. Really bad, but if they can pull this off then it can create a whole new subgenre of horror games.
10. Sea of Thieves : Rare are legends of this industry, and this is the first interesting game I've seen from them since the 0G Xbox days.

Honorable Mentions

x. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End : I've never liked Uncharted, but if that TLoU magic can rub off on it then it will be something special.
x. Halo Wars 2 : Not a fan of RTS, especially on consoles, but Creative Assembly is the perfect pick for this.
x. Gears of War 4 : A make or break game for this series under new management. Hopefully it will transition better than Halo did.
x. No Man's Sky : My initial hype for it was through the roof, but everything I've seen since then has been the same thing over and over.
x. Quantum Break : Remedy has a great legacy of games, but I'll wait until reviews.
x. South Park: The Fractured But Whole : I still haven't played The Stick of Truth, but if impression were anything to go by, it was amazing. Can't wait for the sequel.
x. Superhot : I've been following this indie game since it was first announced to the world, and I still think its the most unique concept to hit the FPS genre in years.
x. The Division : It was announced 2 years ago, and yet I still feel like I've barely seen anything of it.
x. Far Cry: Primal : This game wasn't even close to my radar until that TGA trailer. This could be the shakeup that this series needs to get me back in.
x. Adr1ft : An interesting little indie game that feels like what a game based on the movie Gravity would've been.

I'm definitely going to use your layout as an inspiration when I'm posting my GOTY picks.

Great list too by the way. Nice to see lists with good write ups.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Rot90Qm.png

1. DOOM : It's Doom. We've been waiting decades for a proper installment to this series. It doesn't get much bigger than this unless it was Half Life 3.
2. The Last Guardian : Team ICO's first game since the legendary Shadow of the Colossus back on the PS2. I just hope I'll have a PS4 by the time it releases.
3. Batman: A Telltale Games Series : This feels like a dream match. If Telltale can capture a detective story like they did with The Wolf Among Us then it could rival the Arkham series.
4. Horizon Zero Dawn : Most interesting new IP of this gen so far. I can't wait to finally see more of it.
5. Mirror's Edge Catalyst : The sequel and/or prequel and/or reboot of one of last gen's cult classics, but I'm not completely sold on the change to open world.
6. INSIDE : Limbo was one of my all-time favorite indie games and this follow-up game looks like a much more interesting concept.
7. Cuphead : I'm not entirely sol on the gameplay yet, but that art style is so unique and good that I can't resist.
8. ReCore : I know nothing about this game other than the fact that I really want it, but I need to see it in action first. Keep the new IPs coming!
9. Friday the 13th: The Game : I'm not going to sugarcoat it, the first footage looked bad. Really bad, but if they can pull this off then it can create a whole new subgenre of horror games.
10. Sea of Thieves : Rare are legends of this industry, and this is the first interesting game I've seen from them since the 0G Xbox days.

Honorable Mentions

x. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End : I've never liked Uncharted, but if that TLoU magic can rub off on it then it will be something special.
x. Halo Wars 2 : Not a fan of RTS, especially on consoles, but Creative Assembly is the perfect pick for this.
x. Gears of War 4 : A make or break game for this series under new management. Hopefully it will transition better than Halo did.
x. No Man's Sky : My initial hype for it was through the roof, but everything I've seen since then has been the same thing over and over.
x. Quantum Break : Remedy has a great legacy of games, but I'll wait until reviews.
x. South Park: The Fractured But Whole : I still haven't played The Stick of Truth, but if impression were anything to go by, it was amazing. Can't wait for the sequel.
x. Superhot : I've been following this indie game since it was first announced to the world, and I still think its the most unique concept to hit the FPS genre in years.
x. The Division : It was announced 2 years ago, and yet I still feel like I've barely seen anything of it.
x. Far Cry: Primal : This game wasn't even close to my radar until that TGA trailer. This could be the shakeup that this series needs to get me back in.
x. Adr1ft : An interesting little indie game that feels like what a game based on the movie Gravity would've been.

Is it okay if I use your image as a template for mine? I really like it.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn : Robot dinosaurs, great combat, enticing world...This game has it all. It's the first game of this generation that I'm truly excited over, and I didn't realize that I had a hole that needed to be filled until I saw the Horizon premiere.

2. RIGS : The affordable PSVR will have more marketshare than Oculus and Vive combined, and RIGS is shaping up to be the biggest release app for Sony. In the future RIGS could be viewed as kicking off VR as Mario 64 is viewed as kicking of 3D platformers.

3. Mass Effect Andromeda : The fact that this is in third place is a testament as to how packed the 2016 is for games. Mass Effect has to be one of my favorite series and Andromeda looks to correct some of the missteps made in the latter releases

4. Paragon : This is a pretty big surprise for me that came out of nowhere. Even the reveal cinematic trailer did little to excite me about the game. However upon seeing the gameplay trailer I am optimistically viewing this game as the mashup I've been waiting for. A shooter with RTS elements.

5. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End : I've never been a big fan of the series but hype and the greater focus the devs have for gameplay in the series have me intrigued.

6. EVE: Valkyrie : I'm a big fan of VR and if it wasn't for RIGS knocking this game from the top VR spot it would be high. I'm reluctant to put all my eggs in the same basket and rank too many VR games in the top spots because I haven't tried the tech yet, and it's possible that it might not work out like I hoped. Ignoring that though and EVE: Valkyrie looks to provide a much needed Arcade flying experience that I crave.

7. Ratchet & Clank Remastered : Love the main series (not the offshoots) and this looks like a return back to form. Not much more to say other than that. It's a solid game that I can't wait to play.

8. For Honor : This one is another that came way out of left field. The traditional shooter has become a bit stale. It's not that good shooters aren't being made, but it getting harder and harder to get excited over them. This medieval melee focused combat games really hits my childish enthusiasm button.

9. Halo Wars 2 : Fanboyism probably keeps this from being higher on my list since I don't own an XB1 and won't be able to play the game. I still have to give it props for bringing an RTS back to this console generation.

10. Far Cry Primal : As I round out my list, my theme appear to be that I like mainstream games but have soured on traditional shooters. Far Cry Primal is another example of a game that looks to give me my mainstream sensibilities wrapped up in a new package.

1) Dark Souls III
2) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
3) Persona 5
4) The Last Guardian
5) Dishonored 2
6) Horizon Zero Dawn
7) NieR: Automata
8) Mass Effect Andromeda
9) South Park: The Fractured but Whole
10) The Witness

Don't expect numbers 6 to 9 to be released in 2016 though.

1. Mass Effect: Andromeda : The original trilogy (yes, even the 3rd game) remains one of my favorite series of all time, on any platform.

2. XCOM 2 : I've played quite a bit of the first (still need to finish it!). Really love the turn-based strategy here, and the Fire Emblem-like permadeath of your characters.

3. Gears of War 4 : The single player campaigns have usually been good->great, and the multiplayer is always a hit with my friends. I haven't played Judgement yet but definitely looking forward to this next installment of the main series.

4. Batman: A Telltale Games Series : Telltale just knocks these things out of the park, and this seems like a match made in heaven. I haven't played GoT, Tales from the Borderlands or The Wolf Among Us yet, but TWD was amazing.

5. Halo Wars 2 : The first one was an "ok" RTS for the 360. The single player campaign was brief but decent. Where it really caught on for me was when two of my friends became obsessed with the MP. Game grew some serious legs and puts the sequel in the top 5 for me in 2016.

6. Crackdown : Please be like the 1st one. Please be like the 1st one...

7. Battle Chasers Nightwar : My first ever Kickstarter. Game looks great. Really hoping it holds to the late 2016 date.

8. Divinity: Original Sin 2 : My second ever Kickstarter. I have barely ventured beyond the first town in the first game, but it's enjoyable. This is another one I've got to dig into a bit before the sequel comes out. Also hoping it holds to 2016.

9. DOOM : It's Doom. That's enough to put it on the list for me.

10. The Division : This one has been on the radar since it's announce.

Com_Raven

Here we go- as always, not including anything from my or partner companies. Not a shill, just a fanboy :p

1. Mass Effect Andromeda : BioWare is love, BioWare is life. Mass Effect is one of my favorite gaming franchises ever, and I can't wait to see what they will do with it now that they are free of the constraints of a trilogy and last-gen consoles. Quite simply, I. Can't. Wait.

2. Quantum Break : They have made only three of them, but I have loved every AAA game from Remedy so far, especially Alan Wake. Something about the way they combine action, writing, the music (!) and their visuals just 100% clicks with me. Also, Sam Lake seems like a cool dude, so there is that.

3. Uncharted 4 : There are many games where I enjoy the game play and action more than in Uncharted, but very few where I love the characters and writing more. It looks great. Also one of only two franchises that the lady and I always play together as a couple. Damn you Nate, and your suave charms...

4. DOOM : As an old-school PC and FPS fan, I can't help but have a weak spot for id. The game looked like a lot of fun at E3, and I hope they can reclaim some of their old glory.

5. Halo Wars 2 : I love Halo and I miss old-school rts games, so this seems like a win-win situation. Plus, I am very interested to see what an experienced strategy studio like Creative Assembly will do with the brand.

6. Overwatch : Blizzard has never made a single game I did not enjoy. The beta is tons of fun to play, and I love their art direction and some of the character designs. This will be fun!

7. Total War: Warhammer : I have been a Warhammer and fantasy fan for ages, so this is like a match made in heaven. The Old World has never looked sexier, just hoping for a smooth launch.

8. Gears of War 4 : I am curious to see what the Coalition will do with the franchise, which I previously enjoyed a lot in coop. Also really liked the darker, creepier vibe of the E3 demo.

9. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided : I think Human Revolution was a far better and more assured sequel than anyone would have hoped for from an all-new studio, so I am curious to see how they follow that one up.

10. Battle Chasers Nightwar : Battle Chasers has to be one of the most impressive looking games that are coming out next year, and I am not just saying that as a fan of Joe Mad's art. The Kickstarter got me really hyped, and I can't wait to play :)

Honorable mentions:
Titanfall 2 would have been in my Top if it was officially announced- alas^^
Scalebound was cut from my short list at the very end. I have never played a Platinum game, so I am very curious to try this one.

Dawg

1. Persona 5 : VERY WAIFU, SHINOBI-CHAN

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End : One last time. I have high hopes for this game. Looks like it's gonna be an emotional rollercoaster that will remind all of us why we liked this franchise in the first place.

3. The Last Guardian : It's finally happening. Tons of people are pessimistic about this one. Saying it looks outdated. Or that it won't deliver on its hype. I simply do not care. All I want is another interesting game from Ueda. And I'm sure this will be just that.

4. Dark Souls 3 : Having recently played Bloodborne, the hype towards a new Souls game is a little smaller this time around. I'm still excited as fuck about another depressing adventure, though. These games never disappoint.

5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided : I did ask for this. And I'm glad it's happening. Too bad about the delay, but at least now I have more time to finish other games before going all out again with my bro Adam Jensen.

6. Ni-Oh : I've been interested in this game the moment they re-announced it for PlayStation 4. It looks incredible. I love the setting, the art style, the fighting and the demonic enemies. It's hard to tell if this will actually deliver, but I sure hope it will.

7. Final Fantasy XV : I didn't expect to include this game. I didn't really enjoy the demo. I do realize they're still changing a lot and the final product will play differently than the demo I've played months ago. I'm actually interested in the story, it looks interesting and the road trip looks like a nice change from the usual narrative. I just want to slay enemies together with my brothers and drive around that open world.

8. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth : It's like Pokémon, but better. And on PlayStation 4. How can I not include this?

9. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma : I'm glad to be able to include this. There was a time where none of us thought this game would actually be announced. As someone who absolutely loved the previous game, I'm excited to finally see the end of this franchise.

10. Ratchet & Clank : Looks like Insomniac went back to its roots. Back to what made the first few games so good. It looks a bit similar to A Crack In Time and my only hope is that they can get close to the quality of that game, because it's still my favourite R&C out there. Please be good.

1. Persona 5
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
4. Mass Effect Andromeda
5. Rez Infinite
6. Crackdown 3
7. No Man's Sky
8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
9. Gravity Rush 2
10. Dishonored 2

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2. Persona 5
3. Dark Souls 3
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Street Fighter V
6. NI-OH
7. Nier 2
8. Danganronpa V3
9. Yakuza 0
10. The Last Guardian

1. Final Fantasy XV

2. Nier: Automata

3. Star Ocean 5

4. Persona 5

5. Deus Ex

6. The Last Guardian

7. Mass Effect: Andromeda

8. Horizon

9. Yakuza 0

10. Uncharted 4

1. No Man's Sky
2. Dark Souls 3
3. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
4. Hitman
5. Dishonored 2
6. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
7. Far Cry Primal
8. Doom

bltn

1. Dark Souls III

There will probably be a whole bunch of games I'll enjoy, but only hyped for DS3 and VR.

Gurish

1. Uncharted 4: U2 was one of my favorites games last gen, was pretty tired by the formula in U3 but this game seems to evolve it enough to feel exciting and fresh again. TLOU encounter and combat design and an overall bigger scope with more freedom? yes sir! Not to mention it looks spectacular visually.

2. The Last Guardian: Team Ico games are among my favorites during the PS2 era, I'm a little skeptical about this getting released next year but I'm very much hyped regardless,

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn: What a spectacular reveal that was, it stole the show during Sony's greatest E3 presentation ever.

4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Guess what? HR was one of my top last gen games as well! just to emphasis how crazy 2016 is shaping up to be.

5. Dishonored 2: Another last gen favorite, what can I say? first game had a wonderful level design and freedom, lore was cool as well, really looking forward to this one.

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Still jealous at XB1's owners getting to play this early, really liked the reboot and the responses for this game are great, this one is the safest bet for me, no way it's gonna disappoint.

7. Ratchet and Clank: Loved some of the old games, looks fun and so pretty as well.

8. Hitman: Don't have much experience with this series, but I love stealth and this game seems very fun and creative.

9. Unravel: Was the best thing during EA's press conference, very charming.

10. Resident Evil 0: I'm a die hard fan of the old classic series, I know this one suffer from some bad rep, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, never got to play it.

1. Uncharted 4
2. The Last Guardian
3. Horizon
4. Nier: Automata
5. Quantum Break
6. Dishonored 2
7. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
8. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
9. Mass Effect Andromeda
10. Kingdon Hearts III

MrS

Banned
1. PlayStation VR / RIGS: RIGS looks the game most likely to sell somebody on VR and I can't wait to try it.
2. Dark Souls 3: The great experience I had with Bloodborne has me hyped for DS3 - good job FROM! I know it's gonna be a lot different to Bloodborne but everything I've seen from the game looks awesome. Can't wait to jump in!
3. Uncharted 4: Bruce Straley and his team know how to make games that play well. I expect great things from ND with Uncharted 4.
4. Alienation: Housemarque only make good games - I don't expect Alienation to be any different.
5. Doom: Didn't try the Alpha but I'm hoping this can be the Wolfenstein TNO of 2016. Really hope the campaign is heavy on horror elements. No idea how the multiplayer will turn out but I'll give it a fair shake.
6. Destiny 2: I am interested in seeing where Bungie take this as Destiny was full of highs and lows. Hopefully my Destiny raid crew will pick it up as killing Atheon and Oryx were some of the best moments I've had on any console.
7. FF XV: I really like what I've seen from the trailers and gameplay demos. It's quite different from the games I normally play but it looks really cool.
8. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4): I've only seen glowing reviews for this game on X1 and it looks incredible.
9. Gran Turismo Sport: I am mostly interested with how this will work with VR. It has the potential to be a highly memorable experience - I can't wait to try it!
10. Tekken 7: Tekken is my "go to" fighting game and having really enjoyed TTT2 on PS3, I need more Tekken!

Others I want that are likely to slip to 2017/general HMs: Ni-Oh, Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honour, Let It Die, RE 0

Ibuki

Banned
1. Persona 5
2. Danganronpa 3
3. Zero Time Dilemma
4. Yakuza Zero
5. Digimon Cyber Sleuth
6. Dishonored 2
7. Ni-Oh
8. Nier Automata
9. Uncharted 4
10. Cuphead

1. Persona 5
2. Uncharted 4
3. Nier Automata
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Yakuza Zero
6. The Division
7. Danganronpa V3
8. Dishonored 2
9. Mafia 3
10. Hitman

secret #1 unannounced Rockstar Game (Red Dead 3)

fog

1. Uncharted 4

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn

3. Final Fantasy XV

4. Gravity Rush 2

5. Ratchet and Clank

6. Dino Dini’s Kick Off Revival

7. RIGS

8. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

9. No Man's Sky

10. The Witness

delta_reg

1. Persona 5

2. The Last Guardian

3. Nier Automata

4. Gran Turismo Sport

5. Legend of Zelda U

6. Mass Effect Andromeda

7. Final Fantasy 15

8. Uncharted 4

9. Dark Souls 3

10. Horizon Zero Dawn

Seen a few lists go unnumbered. Don't forget to number your lists. Unfortunately votes like those won't be counted, so go back and edit! :)

1. Street Fighter V
2. Fire Emblem Fates
3. Dead or Alive Xtreme 3
4. Zero Escape 3
5. Valkyria Azure Revolution
6. Persona 5
7. Final Fantasy XV
8. The Legend of Zelda Wii U
9. Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness
10. Ni-Oh

inm8num2

MAIN LIST
1. The Witness : evokes feelings of Myst-style exploration and puzzle-solving, looks beautiful and incredibly ambitious
2. The Banner Saga 2 : first game was a great blend of turn-based strategy, role-playing, and resource management with beautiful visuals and a great story, more of that is a good thing
3. Outlast 2 : a sequel to one of the best horror games ever made, looks to be even darker and more disturbing, not sure how they will top (Whistleblower DLC spoiler)
Eddie Gluskin aka 'The Groom'
4. Shadow Warrior 2 : the 2013 reboot is one of the most fun shooters I've played in recent years, previews for SW2 look awesome (more open maps, vertical movement, etc.)
5. Dishonored 2 : can't wait to see what Arkane does here, Dishonored was such a refreshing experience w/ great stealth & action mechanics
6. Obduction : I love the Myst games, excited to see Rand Miller and company create a new, strange world with much to explore and clever puzzles to solve
7. Shardlight : another adventure game published by Wadjet Eye Games (great track record), really dig the dystopian setting
8. Torment: Tides of Numenera : I love the setting and atmosphere of this game, haven't followed development closely but alpha gameplay looked solid
9. Thimbleweed Park : Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick making a retro point and click adventure, the production blog is very encouraging/inspiring
10. Day of the Tentacle Remastered : one of the greatest point and clicks of all-time, very happy it will find a new audience/generation

Point-and-click (pnc) adventure shout-outs
Asylum : been excited for this one for a few years, should be a great horror adventure game
Silence: The Whispered World 2 : sequel to a lovely pnc from a few years ago, IIRC Daedalic is trying some new things here w/ art, models, gameplay, etc.
The Devil's Men : another Daedalic pnc, I've enjoyed every game of theirs that I've played, always a healthy balance of puzzles/gameplay to go with beautiful hand-drawn visuals and music
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter : hoping to play the recent two SH games (Testament, Crimes and Punishments) before this comes out
Mage's Initiation : progress on this has been steady but slow, hopefully it comes out in 2016, looks to be a great adventure/RPG hybrid a la Quest for Glory
Syberia III : announced almost 3 years ago, don't know where development is but I'm very interested to see what Benoît Sokal has in store
Two Guys Spaceventure : consider it vaporware at this point for various reasons, but planned release date is November 2016 so we'll see...

Noteworthy adventure games
Routine : heard about this sci-fi horror exploration adventure ~3 years ago but not much since, either way still excited
Return of the Obra Dinn : next game from the Papers, Please developer
Firewatch : seems to be a lovely exploration/adventure game
Tacoma : sci-fi adventure from the Gone Home developers, looks really interesting
Draugen : horror adventure game from Red Thread Games (Dreamfall Chapters), likely won't make a 2016 release though (kickstarter is planned)

Other games on my radar
Doom (4) : doesn't look great but I'm still hoping this game delivers fun, fast-paced action
No Man's Sky : game looks huge and gorgeous, admittedly don't know much about it other than the exploration/survival premise
XCOM 2 : didn't finish XCOM but put many hours into and enjoyed it, sequel should be just as fun
Quantum Break : seems to be a fun cinematic action experience, enjoyed Alan Wake
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst : haven't yet played the first game, but the sequel looks incredible
Descent: Underground : love the old Descent games and will be curious about this when it's out of Early Access
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided : sadly never finished Human Revolution, but a sequel w/ a similar formula should be a great game
Unreal Tournament: still pre-alpha, but crowdsourcing approach could lead to an active, large community with some longevity, provided the game is fast and fun
South Park: The Fractured But Whole : another "didn't play first game yet" but Stick of Truth is on the backlog shortlist

D-VoN

1. Dark Souls 3
  2. Uncharted 4
  3. Ni No Kuni II
  4. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  5. South Park: The Fractured but Whole

That's about it really. Probably some other things I'll be looking forward to that I can't think of right now.

One thing that I am hoping for is a good World War shooter. Hopefully EA or Activision will go back in time. Sick of the futuristic shit in FPS right now (besides CS)

1. Uncharted 4
2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
3. XCOM: 2
4. The Division
5. Mafia 3
6. Mass Effect: Andromeda
7. NBA 2K17
8. Hitman
9. Far Cry Primal
10. Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

1. Dark Souls III: I got into the Souls series later than most, but after finishing Dark Souls, I was awed by the game and still am. I consider DaS to be one of the greatest games I have ever played. DSIII just looks amazing and I can't wait to see what From can do with more powerful hardware.

2. Persona 5: What a letdown this game was delayed, but, I am for patience if it'll mean the game will turn out great, and Persona 5 has every indication that it will be. P4G was an excellent experience, sad to say I haven't even beat it yet, but I enjoyed it very much and plan to come back to it soon.

3. Zelda Wii U: I have always loved and lived for Zelda games. I usually own every console in a generation (save for XONE this gen) but I consider myself a Nintendo fan at heart. When a big Nintendo game is released and it is a masterpiece, there is nothing like it. I consider Ocarina of Time my favourite game of all time, and I hope this Zelda can give us some more great experiences like that one did.

4. No Man's Sky: This game should have everything an exploration and space fan would love. I am very excited about NMS, but I don't think I have it overhyped in my mind. I am going in with a certain set of expectations and I excpect them to be met. I just want to explore and mess around in a huge procedurally generated world. I'm more excited at what this game can do for the future of exploration games as a genre. I feel it will pioneer some new areas in the genre.

5. The Last Guardian: I think we can safely say fans of this game have been waiting a long time, and that this game will be a victory when it is released in itself. It should be a fun game and the developers have a solid pedigree, so we'll just have to wait and see.

6. Overwatch: I love Blizzard games and it seems like a variation of TF2, Blizzard style. Watched some on Twitch a little while ago and seemed like tons of fun. I can see myself playing this a lot in 2016.

7. Star Fox Zero: Star Fox games have always been classics to me. There were early warning signs going off that this game may be a stinker, but lately they seem to have improved it. Hoping it turns out and we all get the Star Fox game we were hoping for.

8. Street Fighter V: I've played Street Fighter games since SF2 on SNES. I can also safely say I am terrible at them. That doesn't stop me from being excited for SFV as it looks so polished. I can see this game being the best in the series.

9. Final Fantasy XV: XV should be higher on my list since I love FF games, but the direction they've gone with it (guys riding around on a road trip in a car) just doesn't hit the right notes with me. That said, I will be purchasing the game, and I most likely will enjoy it.

10. Ratchet & Clank: I hope this game surprises some people next year. R&C games are just fun and it seems like the dev team have decided to stem back to their roots a bit with this one, which I think is a good sign for fans of the series.

Leatherface

1. Legend of Zelda U: I am a HUGE Zelda fan. Like so many others here, one of the main reasons I bought a Wii U was for this game. The hype levels are approaching Star Wars levels for me at this point. Being a huge fan of the art style in Windwaker, I absolutely love the aesthetic of this one as well. Definitely my most anticipated title of 2016.

2. Mass Effect Andromeda: Mass Effect is my absolute favorite RPG series of all time and one of the few games I always manage to play through to the end. For a gamer that's been around since Atari was the new hotness, it takes a lot to hold my attention these days. The Mass Effect series has that special something that speaks to me apparently.

3. Uncharted 4: Naughty Dog are basically wizards. Anything they make is worthy of our excitement. This game series is not only always a technical wonder but an achievement in voice acting and game design as well. This will be a very exciting conclusion to an amazing series!

4. No Man's Sky: A space game that seamlessly blends space battles and action combat with planetary exploration? hell yes! I have VERY high hopes for this one.

5. Cuphead: As a huge fan of old cartoon animation this game is a dream come true. I can seriously just watch someone play this and be happy scanning all the details popping out of my screen. Unbelievable art design here. Not to mention the game itself looks like some serious co-op fun!

6. Overwatch: The story of Blizzard goes like this: Blizzard made a deal with the devil and now any game they make basically prints money and is universally loved by all. I'm generally not a competitive shooter kind of guy, however Splatoon recently changed all that and has awakened a sleeping dragon inside me. I now eagerly await Blizzards next big game with baited breath.

7. Dragon's Dogma: I know nothing of this game but I'm a huge fan of action style RPG's and being a member of this forum means I have a duty to buy this. I have to admit, the love for Dragon's Dogma here on GAF is very strong. I feel like I missed out on something special, so I'm really glad I get the opportunity to give this game a try. I doubt I'll be disappointed.

8. DOOM: After playing Wolfenstein: A New Order I am ready for a proper DOOM title. I was very impressed with the footage released so far. I think we're all in for a treat!

9. Starfox Zero: The original Star Fox was one of my absolute favorite games back in the day so nostalgia alone has me cautiously hyped for this. Nintendo has had a great track record so far with all their big titles on the Wii U so I think my hype is justified. My wallet is ready. Don't let me down Nintendo!!

10. Horizon Zero Dawn: This is a new IP so I really don't know idea what to expect. From what I can tell, it's an amazingly beautiful action RPG with a very interesting story line. It's right up my alley really. Guerrilla never disappoints in the graphics department, but do they have what it takes to make a deep and interesting RPG? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Patapwn

1. The Last Guardian
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
3. Uncharted 4
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda
5. No Mans Sky
6. Dark Souls 3
7. Gravity Rush 2
8. Ni-Oh
9. Persona 5
10. Dreams

1. Spark the Electric Jester - I know I'm throwing away my top vote but this truly is my most anticipated game. I fell in love with the demo and I can't wait for the full game. Should release in August (hopefully).

2. The Last Guardian - been waiting 7 years for this. I hope it turns out well.

3. Ratchet & Clank - the original Ratchet & Clank was my most anticipated game when it came out, I watched every preview and read every article and the game did not disappoint. I'm so happy to see the series go back to its roots with its own film and now I can enjoy it with my little nephew who's also been getting stoked for it.

4. No Man's Sky - I can't wait to find out what the finished game feels like even if it doesn't satisfy everyone.

5. Hitman - everyone said Absolution is the worst, but I tried it this year and it became one of my favorites in the series. I don't know if I'm down for episodic content, but I'll decide when more details emerge and I definitely still want to at least try it out.

6. Yooka-Laylee - as much as I love 3D platformers I'm not the best with the Banjo series so I didn't back this one but I'm still very interested to see how it turns out and I hope it brings some new life into the genera.

7. Horizon Zero Dawn - looks interesting, if I see more good stuff I can definitely see myself preordering this.

8. Cuphead - I don't have an XBONE so I can't play it but I really like watching it. Maybe this will finally get me into let's plays?

9. The Forgettable Dungeon - another Kickstarter game I backed. This one's a rogue like and I like what I see so far. Should release in early 2016.

10. Zelda WiiU - don't own this platform either but I really want to see how they take on the Zelda universe as an open world game (or how that's different than any of the other Zeldas) and I'd like to see the art style in game. Plus, there's the nagging question of whether NX will interfere with any Zelda plans in 2016, which I will gladly spectate with a bucket of popcorn in my lap.

Xeteh

1. Persona 5 - I've been hyped for this game for years now, I love the Persona games and their unique style, can't wait for 5.

2. Horizon: Zero Dawn - The announcement of this game at E3 blew me away, I cannot wait to see the final project and dive in to that world. It seems unique to pretty much other game setting and that is super interesting.

3. Uncharted 4 - I know a lot of people aren't a fan of the linearity of the Uncharted games but I've always been a fan, I love the humor and the characters so I'm looking forward to a new game on new hardware for ND to work their voodoo.

4. Dark Souls III - I've played every Souls game since Demon's and I don't see why I should stop when I'm not even close to being tired of them. I'm curious to see what Miyazaki and From pull off with DSIII.

5. Street Fighter V - I've been a fan of fighting games for a very long time but I'm also extremely bad at them, I can't wait to go online and get destroyed in an entirely new game! SFV looks awesome and the idea of being able to unlock DLC characters through gameplay sounds interesting, hopefully it works well.

6. Wild - This game looks bananas. I want to ride a bear while scouting with a rabbit and using birds to attack a camp of cannibals just so I can convince a giant snake lady to cure a villager. I didn't even know I wanted that until Wild came around!

7. Zelda U - Zelda is a big reason I wanted to get a Wii U, I always have fun with Zelda games even if they have awful motion controls, hopefully the game delivers.

8. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - The first Mirror's Edge was so much fun despite its flaws and I'm hoping DICE learned from that and makes an even more enjoyable game.

9. Far Cry Primal - I've never been huge on the Far Cry games... 3 was fun despite the super dumb story. I'm really interested in seeing on how Primal plays out, any game where I can send a bear to maul my enemies is at least worth a look at.

10. Mass Effect Andromeda - This game is at #10 for me not because I'm not that excited for it but because I'm doubting it hits a 2016 release. I love Mass Effect but with how little they've shown of it in the ~1.5 years since it has been announced I just don't see it happening.

Another reminder that your lists shouldn't be based on what you think will or won't come out next year. The premise is simply what you're most excited for out of the games announced for 2016. Whether they have a chance of getting delayed or not should be irrelevant to the listing.

I'm only saying this because I've seen many posts cite that as a reason for games not being higher on lists or completely not being on lists at all. Just an FYI!

I love Mass Effect but with how little they've shown of it in the ~1.5 years since it has been announced I just don't see it happening.
It was announced 6 months ago.

mxgt

Banned
Kinda forgot there are so many exciting games coming up next year.

1. Dark Souls III: Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are my two favourite games ever, there was no way this wasn't going be #1

2. Zero Time Dilemma: 999 and VLR were two games I picked up and often played all day without being able to put down. Can't wait for more twists and turns.

3. Persona 5

4. Mirror's Edge Catalyst

5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

6. Mass Effect: Andromeda: Bioware pls

7. Zelda WiiU: Wasn't a fan of Skyward Sword, but I am optimistic!

8. No Man's Sky: I have this nagging feeling that this really won't be as good as it looks. I hope I am wrong.

9. Danganronpa 3: While they don't reach the heights of Persona or Zero Escape/999, I still greatly enjoyed my time with these games when I played them this year.

10. Overwatch: I want a new shooter.

Another reminder that your lists shouldn't be based on what you think will or won't come out next year. The premise is simply what you're most excited for out of the games announced for 2016. Whether they have a chance of getting delayed or not should be irrelevant to the listing.

I'm only saying this because I've seen many posts cite that as a reason for games not being higher on lists or completely not being on lists at all. Just an FYI!

What's the rule on games only announced for 2016 in one region? Lot of Danganronpa V3 in here (my list included) and I don't think everyone that has it on there can read Japanese.

Ixion

Doom: Didn't try the Alpha but I'm hoping this can be the Wolfenstein TNO of 2016. Really hope the campaign is heavy on horror elements. No idea how the multiplayer will turn out but I'll give it a fair shake.

Most likely not. iD said their focus for DOOM is action. They said there will be various "pace breakers" throughout the game though, which I'm assuming would be the horror elements for the most part.

1. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
2. Dishonored 2
3. The Division
4. Crackdown 3
5. Quantum Break
6. XCOM 2
7. The Witness
8. Sea of Thieves
9. Ratchet & Clank
10. Mafia 3

1. The Legend of Zelda Wii U : ALBW put Zelda on a path going in the right direction. Hopefully it continues here with more openness and less hand holding.

2. The Last Guardian : Here's hoping they can recapture the magic of ICO and SOTC. This game is totally coming out in 2016, right guys?

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn : A game about hunting mechanical dinosaurs. Sounds like a game made up by my 13 year old self. Also sounds like GOAT.

4. Final Fantasy XV
5. Street Fighter V
6. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
7. Hyper Light Drifter
8. Dark Souls 3
9. Ghost Song
10. Ratchet and Clank

1. Zero Time Dilemma - No other gaming series has broken my mind like Zero Escape.

2. No Man's Sky - My perfect fever dream of video game design.

3. Legend of Zelda Wii U - I have never not enjoyed a Zelda adventure and this one looks like a new generation like Ocarina of Time was.

4. Mass Effect: Andromeda - Mass Effect was my favorite series of the past generation. I cannot wait for more.

5. Uncharted 4 - I've played through to completion every other game in the series (save for the Vita one). I am a sucker for this kind of exploration and story.

6. Horizon: Zero Dawn - I've never been high on the gameplay provided by this studio, but the premise of this game has me very interested.

7. Danganronpa 3 - I've played through 1 & 2 and I love the story.

8. The Witness - Loved Braid, I want to see what comes next.

9. Last Guardian - Looks like a game after my own heart.

10. Final Fantasy XV - But will it be any good?

Leflus

1. Yooka-Laylee. This is the only game that's coming out in 2016 that I've already paid for. A new 3D platformer from some of the creative minds behind DKC, Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare classics? Sign me up!
2. Mass Effect Andromeda. The third game was a slight disappointment, but I loved the original trilogy overall. Can't wait to see what the next game will look like.
3. Crackdown 3. I believe in Dave Jones! The guys behind CD3 have said all of the right things so far: Cloud-enhanced multiplayer with massive destruction plus offline-supported single-player with the orbs and gameplay we know and love from the first game(s).
4. Scalebound. Open world RPG with dragons and co-op support made by Platinum Games. I don't use this saying a lot, but "enough said".
5. Unraveled. Super charming game made by a super charming guy. I expect this to be a very interesting and heartwarming experience.
6. Cuphead. Love the artstyle to death. I hope the game won't be too hard, though. :p
7. Sea of Thieves. Gregg Mayles finally gets to make a pirate game! It's not what I wanted Rare's return to core gaming to be, but it is still very much an intriguing game to me. I'm eager to hear more about what it will play like and if it is single-player friendly.
8. Far Cry Primal. Talk about a change of scenery for the franchise. I haven't played 4 yet, but I enjoyed 3 and BD a lot. Very curious to see how different Primal will be compared to the previous games.
9. Quantum Break. I'm hopeful that QB won't become "just another cinematic TPS". The gameplay footage shown so far has been decent, and the time mechanics could potentially add a lot to the game.
10. Mirror's Edge Catalyst: I recently started playing through the first game, and I like it so far. It's a different but fun take on the platformer genre. Fingers crossed that Catalyst will continue in the first game's footsteps while looking and sounding even more beautiful.

Honorable mentions:
-Gears of War 4. Love the fact that they have gone back to 2 player co-op. It should enable them to make a more focused and intimate experience. I need to see more gameplay, though. Also hoping for the return of horde mode.
-Recore: Digging the concept behind the game. Gameplay footage: Where is it?
-Below, Hyper Light Drifter, Inside, other indie games that were announced ages ago. I still want them, but my hype for them isn't as strong as it used to be.
-Deus Ex MD: Haven't played HR yet. Looks like a game I'd enjoy, though.
-Bloodstained: They had me at "Spiritual successor to Igarashi-style Castlevanias"
-Rocket League (Xbox One version): Not a huge PVP guy, but I've heard so many good things about this that it's definitely on my list.
-Shadow Complex Remastered: 200/200'ed it on the 360, but I'm looking forward to revisiting it one more time.
-Trackmania Turbo: I really, really hope it's not just a cash-in. We need more arcadey racing games on consoles. A lot more.

Most anticipated expansions:
-World of Warcraft Legion: The addiction is real
-Killer Instinct Season 3: Looking forward to finally seeing all of the old characters being included in the same game.
-Ori Definitive Edition

1. Zelda WiiU
2. Quantum Break
3. Sea of Thieves
4. The Fractured But Whole
5. The Last Guardian
6. Below
7. Unravel
8. Inside
9. Yooka Laylee
10.Firewatch

Lunar15

Persona 5 (PS3): Never played a Persona game before (mainly because of imo boring turn based combat, which I hear has been completely and thankfully trashed for 5 in favor of a more action oriented real time combat system) so I plan to make this my first Persona game.

Nothing of the sort. It's the same turn based system it's used in the previous two games, and in SMT in general. There might be a few tweaks, but it's definitely not an action oriented real time combat system. If you didn't like the battle system before, you're not going to like it here.

Top Bottom