• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Stafford

I hope Sony starts to consider having a different OS for their tv's because jesus man.

I love A95K, but one thing I despise for a TV in this price range is the OS. At first it's fine, but as time goes on and I use it a week or so it becomes very sluggish, to the point where it becomes a slideshow and then just freeze completely. Just had it while trying to watch a movie. I am guessing the cache becomes full or something else, since you never really fully power the TV off, it's all sleep mode nowadays.

But I think I can avoid this issue if I just fully turn it off once every week or so by pulling the plug before I go to sleep. Next day I'll put it in again. I've been told its not a good idea to fully power these TVs off for a long time, but a few hours surely won't hurt?

I hope Sony starts to consider having a different OS for their tv's because jesus man.

I love A95K, but one thing I despise for a TV in this price range is the OS. At first it's fine, but as time goes on and I use it a week or so it becomes very sluggish, to the point where it becomes a slideshow and then just freeze completely. Just had it while trying to watch a movie. I am guessing the cache becomes full or something else, since you never really fully power the TV off, it's all sleep mode nowadays.

But I think I can avoid this issue if I just fully turn it off once every week or so by pulling the plug before I go to sleep. Next day I'll put it in again. I've been told its not a good idea to fully power these TVs off for a long time, but a few hours surely won't hurt?

I fully power cycle the TV once a week (disconnect the power and then reconnect after making a cuppa) and have never had the sluggish OS issue on my Philips. I just see it the same as a phone really given the OS is similar, restart once a week to flush the system.

King Dazzar

Historically Google/Android TV has been notorious for requiring a restart every week or so. But for me its improved greatly over the years. However I still prefer to offload TV onboard app functionality to an external device.

My Z9J is very reliable these days. It goes months without any issues at all. But I can still use a specific media app to make it fall over if I wanted to. I wonder if there's a specific app which causes your instability?

FWIW, I found Samsung OS to be the worst of all major TV OS's. LG's the best, but with their earlier ad free version being better than the more modern one. And Google TV's the most flexible.

Stafford

I fully power cycle the TV once a week (disconnect the power and then reconnect after making a cuppa) and have never had the sluggish OS issue on my Philips. I just see it the same as a phone really given the OS is similar, restart once a week to flush the system.

Yeah, that's good. It can be off the power for an hour or so, I might just walk my dog too and then power it back on.

Historically Google/Android TV has been notorious for requiring a restart every week or so. But for me its improved greatly over the years. However I still prefer to offload TV onboard app functionality to an external device.

My Z9J is very reliable these days. It goes months without any issues at all. But I can still use a specific media app to make it fall over if I wanted to. I wonder if there's a specific app which causes your instability?

FWIW, I found Samsung OS to be the worst of all major TV OS's. LG's the best, but with their earlier ad free version being better than the more modern one. And Google TV's the most flexible.

Well, since the last full reboot I had been using mostly Xbox and very little TV apps until today. I went from Netflix to Disney and I ended at Bravia Core where I wanted to check out a scene from Blade Runner with the new audio system. That's where it just froze. Other times it has frozen right on the dashboard with all the apps.

From now on I'll make sure to just fully power it off at least every week, should be fine then. It's truly the only issue, all else is superb.

Stafford

It's a bit silly how fast the OS on the Sony A95K becomes sluggish and then freezes now. It happened today again. I wanted to watch Arcane on Netflix, the app opened fine but when I played the show the whole damn TV just froze. It was barely a week ago since the full power off/reboot. Come on now.

Also, I was recommended by Reddit to use apps only mode on this TV, so I did that and a few minutes later it's just turned off by itself. What the hell?

Sleepwalker

I wish Sony (and all TV makers) would offer a "dumb TV" mode, where the only thing the TV does is display inputs and allow you to change settings. No smart TV features, no built in apps, no home screen or anything like that. I'd honestly pay a few hundred dollars to unlock such an option even.
Specially fucking Samsung. I can deal with LG and Sony most of the times but Tizen os obnoxious.

I wish Sony (and all TV makers) would offer a "dumb TV" mode, where the only thing the TV does is display inputs and allow you to change settings. No smart TV features, no built in apps, no home screen or anything like that. I'd honestly pay a few hundred dollars to unlock such an option even.

I bought my C1 and the first thing I did was turn off wifi and prevent all updates so the trash interface can’t get worse, it works just fine using the inputs only. Apple TV for all my streaming needs, my PS5, Switch, and surround sound over eARC. As far as I’m concerned it’s a dumb panel and I love it.

Hoddi

It might be worth looking into a large monitor. I'm not sure about OLEDs specifically but there are some monitors available in the 42"-65" range. I've never tried one but I'm fairly sure they support monitor features like standby and such. And they shouldn't enforce image processing like most TVs do.

That said, I recently bought the Alienware ultrawide OLED and I kinda wish it supported some of the processing that my TV does. I never thought I'd see black crush on an OLED monitor but it does suffer from that a bit. My TV handles that via dynamic tone mapping which isn't available on the monitor.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It might be worth looking into a large monitor. I'm not sure about OLEDs specifically but there are some monitors available in the 42"-65" range. I've never tried one but I'm fairly sure they support monitor features like standby and such. And they shouldn't enforce image processing like most TVs do.

That said, I recently bought the Alienware ultrawide OLED and I kinda wish it supported some of the processing that my TV does. I never thought I'd see black crush on an OLED monitor but it does suffer from that a bit. My TV handles that via dynamic tone mapping which isn't available on the monitor.
I only buy 82" and larger screens, sadly they do not make monitors that large.

Stafford

I just found out that all this time it wasn't running apps only mode. There seems to be a weird bug going on, because when I enabled it a warning screen appears asking you if you are sure. But it only showed me that screen for barely a second and it went back to home. So I tried again and this time the screen stayed there and I was able to confirm it. Let's see how apps only mode improves it for me.

I wish it was possible to just fully quit apps by holding down back button, instead of heaving to go to options and force stop it.

King Dazzar

I just found out that all this time it wasn't running apps only mode. There seems to be a weird bug going on, because when I enabled it a warning screen appears asking you if you are sure. But it only showed me that screen for barely a second and it went back to home. So I tried again and this time the screen stayed there and I was able to confirm it. Let's see how apps only mode improves it for me.

I wish it was possible to just fully quit apps by holding down back button, instead of heaving to go to options and force stop it.
Yeah you should see changes to the home screen when in apps only mode. I'm not sure how much advantage it brings though. It locks out things like google assistant and reduces some of the OS functionality, but I didn't find it changed things overly much in terms of OS speed etc. But then I'm not having the issues you are. So its worth trying.

As to the quitting aps, I find it depends on the app. Quite a few will fully quit by repeatedly pressing back rather than holding it down though.

Just a couple of general ideas around the OS stability. Try to avoid installing any apps on an external HDD and using external storage in general has caused people issues. Aside from Bravia Core, most if not all the apps can be used via an external device if issues persist. Whilst we have different TV's. We'll both be on same OS and aside from my additional 8k processer/chipset specific for HDMI 4, the general hardware processing and chipset should be near identical. I don't have any OS slow down issues and can go weeks/months without the need for restart. But onboard apps wise I only use Bravia Core, MX Player Pro and a Dolby Vision screen saver showing the 4k Apple screensaver videos.

Good luck.

Stafford

Yeah you should see changes to the home screen when in apps only mode. I'm not sure how much advantage it brings though. It locks out things like google assistant and reduces some of the OS functionality, but I didn't find it changed things overly much in terms of OS speed etc. But then I'm not having the issues you are. So its worth trying.

As to the quitting aps, I find it depends on the app. Quite a few will fully quit by repeatedly pressing back rather than holding it down though.

Just a couple of general ideas around the OS stability. Try to avoid installing any apps on an external HDD and using external storage in general has caused people issues. Aside from Bravia Core, most if not all the apps can be used via an external device if issues persist. Whilst we have different TV's. We'll both be on same OS and aside from my additional 8k processer/chipset specific for HDMI 4, the general hardware processing and chipset should be near identical. I don't have any OS slow down issues and can go weeks/months without the need for restart. But onboard apps wise I only use Bravia Core, MX Player Pro and a Dolby Vision screen saver showing the 4k Apple screensaver videos.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply man.

With external device you mean Roku, apple TV or Chromecast, right? I kinda want to stick with the TV apps, I was so happy to finally be able to have my TV stay online and use it's apps after I returned the S95B.

I do have this TV connected to a power strip, it's not directly connected to the wall. But that shouldn't be an issue, should it? It's just so strange because I haven't installed much on it other than what comes default on it and then I have Netflix, Prime, Amazon, SkyShowtime, Crunchyroll, Disney and YouTube.

Last week I had not even used these apps much and had mostly been going straight to HDMI sources for gaming. And yet within a week it fully froze on Bravia Core and Netflix. The home screen got sluggish way too quickly after the reboot, when I started Crunchyroll the app itself was slow too. Reddit also recommended me to empty the cache now and then, but so far it hasn't helped much.

I would love it if it didn't have these issues. I'm starting to consider either calling the store, but that would mean them sending a new one and I doubt they will do that and it's a little drastic. I'll first wait and see if apps only mode has fixed it. I do kinda miss the recommendations it uses to give, but ah well.

Or I could go for a external device like Apple TV. I used to have a Chromecast 4K Google TV but that wouldn't make sense, since the TV basically has that. The Chromecast however never froze this much, if at all. On Reddit I was told that there are downsides to some of these devices. Like how some don't properly support HDR/DV or how picture quality isn't as good.

What device would you recommend me?

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Thanks for the reply man.

With external device you mean Roku, apple TV or Chromecast, right? I kinda want to stick with the TV apps, I was so happy to finally be able to have my TV stay online and use it's apps after I returned the S95B.

I do have this TV connected to a power strip, it's not directly connected to the wall. But that shouldn't be an issue, should it? It's just so strange because I haven't installed much on it other than what comes default on it and then I have Netflix, Prime, Amazon, SkyShowtime, Crunchyroll, Disney and YouTube.

Last week I had not even used these apps much and had mostly been going straight to HDMI sources for gaming. And yet within a week it fully froze on Bravia Core and Netflix. The home screen got sluggish way too quickly after the reboot, when I started Crunchyroll the app itself was slow too. Reddit also recommended me to empty the cache now and then, but so far it hasn't helped much.

I would love it if it didn't have these issues. I'm starting to consider either calling the store, but that would mean them sending a new one and I doubt they will do that and it's a little drastic. I'll first wait and see if apps only mode has fixed it. I do kinda miss the recommendations it uses to give, but ah well.

Or I could go for a external device like Apple TV. I used to have a Chromecast 4K Google TV but that wouldn't make sense, since the TV basically has that. The Chromecast however never froze this much, if at all. On Reddit I was told that there are downsides to some of these devices. Like how some don't properly support HDR/DV or how picture quality isn't as good.

What device would you recommend me?
No worries, I just know these things can be frustrating.

Yeah I was referring to an external player. Unfortunately every TV I've owned (which is a lot) has always had some app/OS related issue at some point, which is why I try to use another device to do streaming etc. Your slow downs do sound unusual though. But as I mentioned previously, it may just be one of those apps causing a problem.

I'm using a Fire TV Cube gen 3 which is excellent and allows me to side load apps. The Apple TV is meant to be very good too. And Nivida Shield is also meant to be good, though it wont allow HDR on youtube. You might consider going back to your chromecast too - as the point here is not to be different, but to bring you reliability.

The only other option, is to fully reset your TV and try again or replace it. But I personally think it more likely to just be an app causing an issue. You never know though. And the only other thought I've just had, is related to network connectivity - so if your TV was having any network related issue it could cause issues. Have you tried connecting it by ethernet rather than wireless and seeing how you get on? That's it really. Cant think of anything else.

Stafford

No worries, I just know these things can be frustrating.

Yeah I was referring to an external player. Unfortunately every TV I've owned (which is a lot) has always had some app/OS related issue at some point, which is why I try to use another device to do streaming etc. Your slow downs do sound unusual though. But as I mentioned previously, it may just be one of those apps causing a problem.

I'm using a Fire TV Cube gen 3 which is excellent and allows me to side load apps. The Apple TV is meant to be very good too. And Nivida Shield is also meant to be good, though it wont allow HDR on youtube. You might consider going back to your chromecast too - as the point here is not to be different, but to bring you reliability.

The only other option, is to fully reset your TV and try again or replace it. But I personally think it more likely to just be an app causing an issue. You never know though. And the only other thought I've just had, is related to network connectivity - so if your TV was having any network related issue it could cause issues. Have you tried connecting it by ethernet rather than wireless and seeing how you get on? That's it really. Cant think of anything else.

I have it via ethernet since day one, I don't trust WiFi enough. But maybe I could actually try WiFi to see if that makes it any different.

I don't mind an external device, I will look into the Fire TV Cube gen 3, hope I can get it shipped to The Netherlands too if it's not available here. What's important for me is that it fully replaces the TV apps and all options remain intact. That means HDR and DV, that I can still use my soundbar with no issues and sounds just as great. I'm guessing it should make no difference since the soundbar is connected to the TV and a external device will too. So you'd think the audio experience will be just as good, right?

I could try a full reset like you said and not install any apps and just use the default installed ones, do that for a week or so and see if it slows down or not. Then I'll start installing Netflix, use that a few days. I guess then I can really pinpoint if a app is the culprit. It's a hassle though, but I need to find out.

King Dazzar

I have it via ethernet since day one, I don't trust WiFi enough. But maybe I could actually try WiFi to see if that makes it any different.

I don't mind an external device, I will look into the Fire TV Cube gen 3, hope I can get it shipped to The Netherlands too if it's not available here. What's important for me is that it fully replaces the TV apps and all options remain intact. That means HDR and DV, that I can still use my soundbar with no issues and sounds just as great. I'm guessing it should make no difference since the soundbar is connected to the TV and a external device will too. So you'd think the audio experience will be just as good, right?

I could try a full reset like you said and not install any apps and just use the default installed ones, do that for a week or so and see if it slows down or not. Then I'll start installing Netflix, use that a few days. I guess then I can really pinpoint if a app is the culprit. It's a hassle though, but I need to find out.
Yep HDR/DV and audio is just as good on gen3. Methodical process of elimination as you've suggested is the only way to go. Hope it all works out. 😊

Stafford

So I started watching the One Piece Netflix show, it's way more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Anyway, the Dolby Vision I find super underwhelming, nothing special at all. It's a shame because with how it looks it really could have benefitted from it. It honestly to me looks like it's SDR.

I am using DV Bright on the Sony A95K.

Overall I am not super impressed with DV, but perhaps I've just not watched the right content yet. What stuff on Disney, Netflix, Prime and SkyShowtime would you say is worth it for Dolby Vision?

Stafford

do you guys buy a warranty with the TV in case it has burn in or fails? what is the usual life span of new TVs?

I have if I'm not misremembering about three years of extra warranty. Got the TV for a damn great deal. As soon as I get a stuck pixel for example they'll pick it up and give me a new one, if a new one isn't available right that moment they'll give me a similar TV until the new one is back.

Usual lifespan I have no idea, I've swapped TVs throughout the years many many times. I just wasn't satisfied, but I am with the Sony and I can see this one being in my house for a long time.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

So I started watching the One Piece Netflix show, it's way more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Anyway, the Dolby Vision I find super underwhelming, nothing special at all. It's a shame because with how it looks it really could have benefitted from it. It honestly to me looks like it's SDR.

I am using DV Bright on the Sony A95K.

Overall I am not super impressed with DV, but perhaps I've just not watched the right content yet. What stuff on Disney, Netflix, Prime and SkyShowtime would you say is worth it for Dolby Vision?
You have to bear in mind that DV implementations vary from TV to TV. Historically Sony TV's were not good with external devices and DV. But that should have improved with 2021 sets onwards. However with my 2021 Sony LCD, with its 3k nit peak luminance capability. HDR10 usually always looks noticeably better than DV when watching DV 4k UHD discs. DV looks good, just not as good as HDR10. Its just the way it is.

But then when I use my Philips OLED, both HDR10+ and DV always look better than HDR10. Also with the numerous LG OLED's I've owned DV usually, not always, looks better too.

So, what I'm saying is. Never assume for all TV's DV will always look better than HDR10. And that you may find it also varies from external and internal sources too. As for variance of quality with content itself, these days the quality and luminance impact of encoding is all over the place. Best quality HDR content you can stream so far that I've found is via Bravia Core with high bit rate Pure Stream IMAX - but not sure if any of it is DV.

King Dazzar

do you guys buy a warranty with the TV in case it has burn in or fails? what is the usual life span of new TVs?
It'll vary from country to country as to what options you have. Here in the UK most high end sets come with a 5 to 6 year warranty anyway. For any expensive TV, I'd be after a 5 year warranty.

Stafford

You have to bear in mind that DV implementations vary from TV to TV. Historically Sony TV's were not good with external devices and DV. But that should have improved with 2021 sets onwards. However with my 2021 Sony LCD, with its 3k nit peak luminance capability. HDR10 usually always looks noticeably better than DV when watching DV 4k UHD discs. DV looks good, just not as good as HDR10. Its just the way it is.

But then when I use my Philips OLED, both HDR10+ and DV always look better than HDR10. Also with the numerous LG OLED's I've owned DV usually, not always, looks better too.

So, what I'm saying is. Never assume for all TV's DV will always look better than HDR10. And that you may find it also varies from external and internal sources too. As for variance of quality with content itself, these days the quality and luminance impact of encoding is all over the place. Best quality HDR content you can stream so far that I've found is via Bravia Core with high bit rate Pure Stream IMAX - but not sure if any of it is DV.

Ah, damn. I didn't know that. So chances are that One Piece looks better on a LG OLED than my Sony QD-OLED? Or the show just isn't too great for HDR in general, because I kinda doubt it would be a world of difference.

As for Bravia Core, I was so disappointed two weeks ago when I used one credit to watch Across the Spider Verse and the DV was just borked. I noticed immediately how bland it looked. I looked it up and found Reddit results, a known issue. What a shame.

I don't buy UHD movies on disc, not for a long time now, unfortunately. Hoping to find some good stuff on these streaming services. I do notice that some stuff looked better on my older TV, the S95B but I should not forget that was a brighter screen and it was HDR10.

I'm also noticing during One Piece what looks to be black level raise, but perhaps it's just the show. I kinda doubt my Sony A95K is the culprit.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Ah, damn. I didn't know that. So chances are that One Piece looks better on a LG OLED than my Sony QD-OLED? Or the show just isn't too great for HDR in general, because I kinda doubt it would be a world of difference.

As for Bravia Core, I was so disappointed two weeks ago when I used one credit to watch Across the Spider Verse and the DV was just borked. I noticed immediately how bland it looked. I looked it up and found Reddit results, a known issue. What a shame.

I don't buy UHD movies on disc, not for a long time now, unfortunately. Hoping to find some good stuff on these streaming services. I do notice that some stuff looked better on my older TV, the S95B but I should not forget that was a brighter screen and it was HDR10.

I'm also noticing during One Piece what looks to be black level raise, but perhaps it's just the show. I kinda doubt my Sony A95K is the culprit.
Try Bullet Train on Bravia Core - looks superb. 😎

Stafford

Try Bullet Train on Bravia Core - looks superb. 😎

I love that movie. Went to see it three times last year. I will check that out!

Also, there is no way to disable DV and watch something in HDR10 instead, right? Oh and DV Bright is fine, right? I do find the other option too dim.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I love that movie. Went to see it three times last year. I will check that out!

Also, there is no way to disable DV and watch something in HDR10 instead, right?
So with external players, like my Panasonic UHD players you can disable DV permanently via the player, which is what I do with my Z9J. Or you can potentially change the HDMI format to not allow DV. Unfortunately though with onboard apps, there's not a lot you can do.

Stafford

So with external players, like my Panasonic UHD players you can disable DV permanently via the player, which is what I do with my Z9J. Or you can potentially change the HDMI format to not allow DV. Unfortunately though with onboard apps, there's not a lot you can do.

I see. Ah well, it's not the end of the world. I did just notice something though, which could explain why DV felt so underwhelming for me.

Tone mapping was set to off. I changed that to brightness and it's definitely better. I have this setting at brightness for gaming too.

King Dazzar

I see. Ah well, it's not the end of the world. I did just notice something though, which could explain why DV felt so underwhelming for me.

Tone mapping was set to off. I changed that to brightness and it's definitely better. I have this setting at brightness for gaming too.
Tone mapping should be set to off with DV for accuracy though as DV should be doing its own tone mapping. With DV Bright you can getaway with using Gradation Preferred as DV Bright isn't tracking the EOTF accurately anyway. But hey, if it works for you, it works. 😊 If you wanted to boost luminance artificially, you can also start messing around with ACE too. Once you start going down those rabbit holes, you may never come back again though. 😁

Stafford

Tone mapping should be set to off with DV for accuracy though as DV should be doing its own tone mapping. With DV Bright you can getaway with using Gradation Preferred as DV Bright isn't tracking the EOTF accurately anyway. But hey, if it works for you, it works. 😊 If you wanted to boost luminance artificially, you can also start messing around with ACE too. Once you start going down those rabbit holes, you may never come back again though. 😁

Advanced contrast enhancer? Yeah I guess we'd then be entering Samsung S95B territory. I am watching Arcane now and with tone mapping set to brightness I like it a whole lot more than with tone mapping off. I remember how Arcane looked on the S95B and that had a lot of "pop" for lack of a better word.

You mean once you see what ACE does you get used to the bright highlights that you don't want to "downgrade" back to the accurate picture? For now I'm staying away from ACE. I don't use it for gaming either, it probably would only make the picture look less great too.

Also, I noticed that when I have Netflix on and I go into the picture settings of the TV that there's a setting called Netflix calibrated mode. Leaving it off for now, but I thought that was interesting. Bravia Core has such an option too, I enabled that when I just got the TV.

make it a physical switch on the tv remote.
i'd want it just to make the menus snappier.

when smart features are off, have a notification display on-screen when switching inputs and stuff so dummies dont flood the call center asking why their tv is broken.

Dynasty8

Been trying to find a LG C2 42" for cheap ($600-$700) to use as a gaming monitor and work monitor... Cant find anything at the moment. Might have to wait till Black Friday.

I already own a Samsung QLED 85 inch for consoles, movies/shows, but Is OLED really that much better than QLED?

Stafford

I notice some very visible fingerprints on the panel, I don't get at all how they got on there but I know this screen, as was the S95B is a bitch to clean. What's the best way to wipe this off? I don't use any kind of liquids or whatsoever, never ever. I never had difficulties with regular OLED panels.

Sony A95K.

Last edited:

Polelock

I use a 42" C2 for my main PC monitor, have had it for about 6 months. Loving it. I have a 4090, have not experienced any burn in. My main home theater screen is a 65" Samsung QN65S95BAFXZA and it is absolutely incredible. The picture is amazing, but I hate the menu and input selection. Otherwise, perfect tv.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Been trying to find a LG C2 42" for cheap ($600-$700) to use as a gaming monitor and work monitor... Cant find anything at the moment. Might have to wait till Black Friday.

I already own a Samsung QLED 85 inch for consoles, movies/shows, but Is OLED really that much better than QLED?
If you have a costco nearby I've heard they are heavily discounting them in store.

I notice some very visible fingerprints on the panel, I don't get at all how they got on there but I know this screen, as was the S95B is a bitch to clean. What's the best way to wipe this off? I don't use any kind of liquids or whatsoever, never ever. I never had difficulties with regular OLED panels.

Sony A95K.
I'm having the same problem with my s90c it's as if fingerprints are embedded in the screen and my microfiber cloth isn't helpful 🙃

Last edited:

Stafford

I'm having the same problem with my s90c it's as if fingerprints are embedded in the screen and my microfiber cloth isn't helpful 🙃

Yeah, I remember when I had the S95B and I started to panic when I couldn't remove a fingerprint. What helped was breathing on it slightly and then as if you're drawing a circle clean it with a dry cloth. Guess I'll try that on the Sony too. These QD-OLED screens are a bitch with this.

Stafford

I recall that there was a downside to using Dolby Vision for gaming on the Sony A95K. Extra input lag or something? It's unfortunate that I can't use VRR and DV simultaneously.

Bojji

I recall that there was a downside to using Dolby Vision for gaming on the Sony A95K. Extra input lag or something? It's unfortunate that I can't use VRR and DV simultaneously.

I don't think there is ANY positive for using DV for games. I don't think any game supports it natively, they are all just using HDR10->DV conversion.

I tried it few times when I had SX and didn't like the results at all, and on LG everything (VRR, 120Hz) works correctly with DV.

I don't think there is ANY positive for using DV for games. I don't think any game supports it natively, they are all just using HDR10->DV conversion.

I tried it few times when I had SX and didn't like the results at all, and on LG everything (VRR, 120Hz) works correctly with DV.
Same here Gears 5 dolby vision conversion looked dull vs HDR10 even Halo didn't look great and it was native dolby vision. I've read the problem is games aren't made with dynamic meta data because of the input lag it would introduce so hopefully in the future game engines can support it more properly but for now it's too early.

Stafford

I just tried it for Starfield since some people commenting on a GamingTech video said DV looked better for them with the game. But I noticed how the TV doesn't even offer a game mode in DV? Which meant a huge input lag, yeah, no.

When it comes to HDR game mode, what do I set HDR tone mapping to? Off, gradation preferred or brightness? What is....accurate, to the creator's intent?

I notice how it's vastly more bright with tone mapping off, is this the way? Nah, it can't be because it's completely hiding clouds in Starfield. But man, I do love this way brighter picture.

Last edited:
Today, I decided to try HDR with my PC and LG C1 in anticipation of playing Baldurs Gate 3. Wow! HDR makes all the difference. I never bothered using the TV before, since I didn’t have any HDR PC games. This blows my monitor away. All I did was enable HGIG and use the Windows HDR calibration tool.

I doubt I can run any substantial games in 4K. Subnautica wasn’t even fast enough for me at 1440p. Witcher 3 was around 30fps at 4K high settings. I’ll just stick with 1080p at max settings and be satisfied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom