• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly 500 on 2 cruise ships struck by norovirus (CNN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
I had this shit a few years ago, somehow must have got it off of my dad who was in the hospital. It was hell.

BHK3

Banned
Uhhh... I guess I'm a media puppet then, huh? Pft.

I don't see any reason why someone right in the head would go out in open sea inside a box with hundreds of others for days or even weeks. Since I was a freaking kid that always seemed like a terrible idea for me, and the fact that shit like this happens just confirms that my common sense wasn't off even back then.

This is what we call juvenile unnecessary condescendence, guys.

At least 20 years old
Believed in this since he was little
Some bad event happened once
SEE GUYS I WAS RIGHT CRUISE SHIPS ARE BAD

:|

Oh dear, I'm going to be on the Princess Ruby in two weeks.... D:

There are 100+ big ships out on the ocean at this very moment. 500+ if you include the smaller (under 700) ships.

They are out 365 days a year 24/7.

We get a story about a virus 2-3 times a year. In which maybe 10% of the people on board the infected ship get it.

"Oh no 300 are sick!!!!".....out of 3,000? Thats not a big deal.

Then consider there are over 150,000 at sea in similar conditions at the same time.

300. You have better odds of getting sick at the mall.

They are just now reporting this to the media? I took the Crown Princess from the 17th-24th of December and the weeklong cruise before me was the first outbreak of the norovirus, and I actually got it the last day on the ship. All the food was served by the employees, there were purell dispensers everywhere and they actually had to switch a lot of the crew off of the boat for that week and had them replaced with members form other ships to keep the staff count high enough.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
oh fuck no...ive had this once...and i fear it....

on a lighter note my friend got this and it started up on his way to work on a crowded morning train in japan...he lived the dream and had a train car all to himself lol.

Shambles

There are 100+ big ships out on the ocean at this very moment. 500+ if you include the smaller (under 700) ships.

They are out 365 days a year 24/7.

We get a story about a virus 2-3 times a year. In which maybe 10% of the people on board the infected ship get it.

"Oh no 300 are sick!!!!".....out of 3,000? Thats not a big deal.

Then consider there are over 150,000 at sea in similar conditions at the same time.

300. You have better odds of getting sick at the mall.

It's not the odds i'm worried about, in that case I'd be more worried about if i'm going to survive the car ride to the airport. It's the fact that when i'm in my room on the toilet there's a good chance that two weeks previous someone spent all night spewing their bodily fluid all over the bathroom. I already got food poisoning on christmas eve this year and was on the toilet with nasty coming out of both ends until 6 in the morning. I hope not to repeat such an experience so soon.

God is preparing for the end times in December and want to eliminate the ark loophole this time.

KuGsj.gif

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It's not the odds i'm worried about, in that case I'd be more worried about if i'm going to survive the car ride to the airport. It's the fact that when i'm in my room on the toilet there's a good chance that two weeks previous someone spent all night spewing their bodily fluid all over the bathroom. I already got food poisoning on christmas eve this year and was on the toilet with nasty coming out of both ends until 6 in the morning. I hope not to repeat such an experience so soon.

oh the norovirus is just like that...during a wrestling match while dying of scarlet fever.....just have lots of water handy for when you need to throw up more and theres no fluid left in your body. Have fun!

The problem isnt that the ships is infected and people get it week after week.

Trust me, they sanitize the shit out of the boat because of all the bad press.

The problem is someone has it, coughs on their hand (because theyre an ignorant idiot) and then goes to the buffet line and touches stuff, because theyre trash.

And then it spreads.

Obviously, once the ship knows someone has it, the buffet line is no longer self-serve, staff is put on 24/7 wipedown duty etc. Yes, others will still get it, but they take every precaution they can.

You know where else you can get it easily? Any fast food restaurant where you can refill your own cup and it uses a lever system. One dude drinks from cup, then goes for a refill and bacteria gets on lever. Then its on your cup.

I guarantee Mcdonalds isnt cleaning their machines the way the cruise will.

akira28

I haven't had noro, I don't think. I try to avoid doctors. I did have really bad something poisoning once. I just remember praying to God... Because there was nothing left in me but evil. And my body wanted it out.

They're typically isolated for long periods of time with thousands of people that don't give a shit about being sanitary. Drunk, horny people on vacation don't tend to give a shit about washing their hands after wiping their ass.

dLMN8R

Moral of the last few months - cruise on Royal Caribbean, avoid those other carriers!

Seriously though, was on Voyage of the Seas last month, and it was such an incredible trip. Super-professional and perfectly organized staff, nothing could have been better.

They were doling out the purell like crazy!

I'd never take a cruise. This is on the relatively tame side but after horror stories about folks never returning (assumed tossed overboard, etc.) it's not for me.

Valnen

I'd never take a cruise. This is on the relatively tame side but after horror stories about folks never returning (assumed tossed overboard, etc.) it's not for me.

I would never take one for the sole reason that it's a colossal waste of money.

Doodis

I never really saw the interest in cruises either, until I went on one last March. It was fun. Food was great. Enjoyed the time with my wife and friends.

In other words, don't knock it til you've tried it.

blazeuk

There was an outbreak of it on a cruise ship i was on a few years back, as said, they do take it very seriously, people literally cleaning everywhere you go, not letting people into certain parts of the ship (food courts etc) unless they use the hand cleaners and even then, they dont let you handle the self serve food yourself but do it for you. Thankfully it was on the way back of the cruise I was on, so there was 2 days of literally trying to avoid contact with anyone (especially as I had a 6 hour drive home!).

I've been on 3 cruises and theres always talk of people getting sick on them (although only once that they've officially said there was an outbreak of Norovirus), some people pretty much don't care, they know they're sick but they don't say anything because they dont want to be quarantined.

Yeah, saving money on a weeklong vacation is such a waste.

Tell me, where else can you get 7 days of hotel stay, 7 days of all the food you need, 7 days of travel, 7 days of entertainment and more for under $700 a person?

dLMN8R

What on earth are you talking about? I just cruised the Caribbean for 7 nights, stopping in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.

You're basically eating expertly-cooked gourmet meals 3 times a day, 7 days a week. There are options too - incredible buffets for every single meal that are all you can eat, or you can have table service, again included.

On top of that, there are free 24-hour snacks you can get, again for free.

My wife and I had a balcony room. The cost? $700 per person.

You could easily pay $700 per person on just food if you wanted as high-quality food as you get on a cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom