• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

600 aboard Royal Carribean Cruise fall ill (vomiting/diarrhea). Ship forced to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has this started happening the past 3 or so years? I used to never hear about this sort of thing happening, but now it happens multiple times every year.

There are more cruises now than ever in human history.

In my opinion, cruises have never been an appealing vacation... news as of late, be it power failures, sinking, food contamination, only reinforced my opinions.

Yes, that ever happens on land.

And you should drive rather than fly because that one time a plane crashed.

GAF's own famousmortimer was on that ship!

Did I give the best advice or what?
0030149003916_500X500.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98099807&postcount=45

Isnt chlorine in the pool enough to destroy any poophole bacteria?

Most ships use salt water.

how are these cruise companies still in business?

Edit: well that (below) explains it, Wal-Mart types...

Because most people are smart enough to not let media hype get in the way of reality.

And the review sounds like its for Carnival. You get what pay for.

I saw some Carnival cruises going for $199 for 7 days.

Thats 7 nights of lodging, all you can eat food, entertainment, and transportation for $30 a day.

I caught a norovirus right after I got over the flu earlier this month. Was one of those rare moments where you have to hold a bucket while you're on the toilet because you shit and puke at the same time.

Again, virus. Pepto is powerless against it.

I don't like cruises because they are the vacation, not just the mode of transport. Imagine being at a college dormitory except you can't go anywhere but the dorm, the gym or the cafeteria.

Or the theater. Or the library. Or the high end restaurant. Or the other high end restaurant. Or the cafe. Or the ice cream stand. Or the pool. Or the sun deck. Or the other pool. Or the rock climbing wall. Or the night club. Or the hot tubs. Or the piano bar. Or the sauna. Or the coffee shop. Or the clothing store. Or the liquor store. Or the bar. Or the other bar. Or the other bar. Or the spa.

And from 8am to 8pm youre on shore somewhere doing whatever you want to do.

Its amusing how clueless you are.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Or the theater. Or the library. Or the high end restaurant. Or the other high end restaurant. Or the cafe. Or the ice cream stand. Or the pool. Or the sun deck. Or the other pool. Or the rock climbing wall. Or the night club. Or the hot tubs. Or the piano bar. Or the sauna. Or the coffee shop. Or the clothing store. Or the liquor store. Or the bar. Or the other bar. Or the other bar. Or the spa.

I would like to add a complaint about the Caribbean ports though. They tend to stop at fake tourist trap subsets of the actual towns. You can leave but it is super annoying.

ahoyle77

I just got off a cruise today with the family. But this is why I only take Disney cruises. Not that it can't happen on their ships, but their service, cleanliness, and most important as was mentioned above, the other passengers on board make it less likely.

Oh god, being stuck on a ship with norovirus sounds like the worst thing ever. Noro was probably the very worst medical experience I've ever had, and I've had cancer/chemotherapy. A full week of puking, diarrhea, and no eating.

royalan

Ugh...

I know these gigantic cruiseliners that are basically floating resorts look cool and seem attractive, but it's horror stories like this that convince me that, if I ever do get the urge to go on a cruise, it'll be on a smaller boat.

I've always wanted to do an expedition cruise.

Xut6eIs.jpg

That being said, HAVE FUN ON YOUR CRUISE, CHRIS! *.*

akira28

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Cold_Fear.jpg

Cold Fear. That's what you wake up in the night with when you hear Cthulhu angrily trying to come up out of your throat and you realize things are in motion and your ass is no longer under your control.

Are you a lobbyist for the pleasure cruise industry? You seem to be taking it poorly that folks find cruises unappealing.
They could put every amenity known to man but I doubt they can well disguise the fact that you're still on a ship. Besides the price point, cruises offer very little over a standard stay at a resort. I'd get claustrophobic pretty quick for a week on a ship, no matter how great the ice cream stand was.

Again, virus. Pepto is powerless against it.

I don't like cruises because they are the vacation, not just the mode of transport. Imagine being at a college dormitory except you can't go anywhere but the dorm, the gym or the cafeteria.

The Pepto doesn't cure you of the virus. It just helps relieve the symptoms. Your body deals with virus.

Camwi

Are you a lobbyist for the pleasure cruise industry? You seem to be taking it poorly that folks find cruises unappealing.
They could put every amenity known to man but I doubt they can well disguise the fact that you're still on a ship. Besides the price point, cruises offer very little over a standard stay at a resort. I'd get claustrophobic pretty quick for a week on a ship, no matter how great the ice cream stand was.

In all fairness, comparing a cruise ship to a college dorm is kind of silly. I can understand how someone might not be interested in going on a cruise, but it seems like some people have a unfairly negative view for no good reason.

As to your claustrophobia comment, I think you'd be ok, especially if you got a room with a deck. Otherwise you're only confined to the ship for so long during the cruise, what with excursions and all.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Cruises seem like a terrible vacation.

pestul

That ship must be absolutely putrid. Having worked in a nursing home when norovirus strikes.. the smell. You never forget the smell.

Vesmir

Banned

So basically anything I can do around my city which won't make me seasick, deal with WalMart-esque people feeding at a trough, or force me to stay in my cabin when a virus is going around (if I don't happen to catch it myself)?
Cool.

Kinvara

I think it depends on the cruise line.

I've sailed with Norwegian and Holland-America and they were both fine. Norwegian was more family-oriented and Holland-America had a bunch of old folks. Carnival is the one that's notorious as the "Wal-Mart of cruises".

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Loved my first cruise this summer to the bahamas... it was great and I didn't really live it up like I think I could if I would have went with my boys. Had a great time with the all you can drink and eat...

now a boat full of sick people.. nope.. not my thing.

I'm pretty sure this virus has been spreading all the fuck over recently. My daughter brought it home from daycare the day that we left to go out to Colorado and she gave it to me, my wife, and both of my parents. Lost a day of skiing because of it. Happened about 2 weeks ago.

Meier

I've been on one cruise in my life (7 or 8 day to Grand Cayman, Belize, Honduras, Mexico and one other place if I recall) and it was fantastic. One of the best experiences I've ever had.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing worse than having a shitty time while on holiday.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That famous case with the girls sports team where they all got sick, their travel bag full of closed packaged snacks was in the bathroom where one of the girls had vomiting and diarrhea. Just being in the same room, fucking nanoscale particles floating in the air took them all down via the infected food.

That seems like a weird assumption to make. All they had to do was touch the travel bag, the packaging or pretty much anything in the room.

akira28

That seems like a weird assumption to make. All they had to do was touch the travel bag, the packaging or pretty much anything in the room.

Not my assumption, it was considered an outbreak, they inspected the unopened packages, etc. It was in the news.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Only cruise I've ever been on was through French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora etc...) and we purposefully picked a small cruise ship that would have less people on it, which probably helped avoid a lot of cruise ship irritations that people encounter. It was also rather expensive so we had snooty assholes rather than dirty assholes to deal with. Which made it feel like a floating Barneys rather than a floating Wal Mart....which is really only marginally better now that I think about it.

My sisters and mother went on an Antarctic cruise on some old Russian research ship and said it was like living for a week with zero sense of balance considering how rough the sea was. Said it was totally worth it though.

"There were people walking around in their pajamas with vomit and diarrhea on them. People were barfing all over the place"
"Are we bringing this virus off the ship with us?" asked Shannon Blace, a passenger from Toronto who was traveling with a party of 12 people -- 10 of whom have been sick. "We're all going to hotels all over the New York area. Will we be spreading the virus to the Super Bowl this weekend?"

Blace told CNN via telephone that she was upset and felt as if she had spent a week on a floating prison.

"It's just been a big nightmare," she said. "It feels like (Royal Caribbean) never had a contingency plan in place to handle an epidemic on the ship."

Blace said it was evident early on that many people were sick. She felt the ship should have been turned around.

"On Wednesday night, I was in the dining room and a woman was vomiting into her napkin," she said. "There were people walking around in their pajamas with vomit and diarrhea on them. People were barfing all over the place."

Not all passengers, however, were dissatisfied.

"We had a wonderful cruise, and they were very nice," said Margery Feinstein

On Sunday, five stool samples were sent from the ship to the CDC in Atlanta, where the samples were expected to arrive the next day, CDC sources told CNN. But the arrival of the samples has been delayed because of paperwork issues and the bad weather in the Southeast.

bcl0328

this cements me never going on a cruise. i don't see the point in going on a mobile hotel where you are trapped at sea. i've never heard anyone enjoy them.

Paper Fox

Kinda faulty logic yeah? Edit. I'm sorry but your post seems just incorrect..

I think that poster was trying to demonstrate the effectiveness of something like an alcohol gel vs a sanitiser that has actual antibiotics in it. Use of the word "chemical" was very vague.

Trouble

Banned
Ugh...

I know these gigantic cruiseliners that are basically floating resorts look cool and seem attractive, but it's horror stories like this that convince me that, if I ever do get the urge to go on a cruise, it'll be on a smaller boat.

I've always wanted to do an expedition cruise.

Xut6eIs.jpg

That being said, HAVE FUN ON YOUR CRUISE, CHRIS! *.*

This man knows. If you are going to do a cruise spend the money and go on a smaller boat. Service will typically be better, as well as the calibre of passenger.

Excepting maybe the Cunard liners, because they swank as fuck. My mom has traveled back from Europe via the Queen Mary 2 a few times and loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom