• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly 500 on 2 cruise ships struck by norovirus (CNN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

CNN) -- Nearly 500 cases of Norovirus have been reported on two Florida-based Princess Cruises ships, the cruise line said Sunday.

The 499 cases occurred on the Ruby Princess and the Crown Princess, both based out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, said cruise line spokeswoman Julie Benson.

On Saturday, the Crown Princess returned from a Caribbean cruise with 364 sick passengers and 30 sick crew members, she said. In all, about 3,100 people were on board.

Sunday morning, the 3,000 passengers and crew on board the Ruby Princess disembarked,
Benson said. Of those on board, 92 passengers and 13 crew members were reported ill.

"We're working in close cooperation with the CDC to identify the cause," Benson said.

Investigators with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been on board both vessels and monitoring cleaning procedures, she said.

The Crown Princess was cleaned Saturday and has returned to sea, she said. The Ruby Princess was also set to return to sea Sunday afternoon. Passengers on both departing cruises are notified of the outbreak and cleaning, she said, and advised of protective measures.

Norovirus causes symptoms including diarrhea, vomiting and stomach pain, according to the CDC. It is spread from person to person through contaminated food or water or by touching contaminated surfaces.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/05/health/ships-outbreak/index.html

What's up with these cruise ship disasters of late?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
lol cruise ships.

No, but seriously. Why? It's just so ridiculously dangerous.

lol cruise ships.

No it isn't? Same phenomena as airline travel. One crash in the headlines or even a string of them and people think they are incredibly unsafe overall when in fact they are one of the safest forms of travel available.

The viruses are found in the vomit and stool of infected people. You can get it by

Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus (someone gets stool or vomit on their hands, then touches food or drink).
Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth.
Having direct contact with a person who is infected with norovirus (for example, when caring for someone with norovirus or sharing foods or eating utensils with them).

People with norovirus illness are contagious from the moment they begin feeling sick until at least 3 days after they recover. But, some people may be contagious for even longer.

Too much pooping going on cruise ships.

Brazil

Because they aren't. Thud I'd just a string on bad luck

What? No it's not.

No it isn't? Same phenomena as airline travel. One crash in the headlines or even a string of them and people think they are incredibly unsafe overall when in fact they are one of the safest forms of travel available.

Uhhh... I guess I'm a media puppet then, huh? Pft.

I don't see any reason why someone right in the head would go out in open sea inside a box with hundreds of others for days or even weeks. Since I was a freaking kid that always seemed like a terrible idea for me, and the fact that shit like this happens just confirms that my common sense wasn't off even back then.

This is what we call confirmation bias guys.

This is what we call juvenile unnecessary condescendence, guys.

Raistlin

I don't see any reason why someone right in the head would go out in open sea inside a box with hundreds of others for days or even weeks. Since I was a freaking kid that always seemed like a terrible idea for me, and the fact that shit like this happens just confirms that my common sense wasn't off even back then.
As stated, the only thing being confirmed is your bias

Brazil

enjoy living in your bubble

btw, you could get SPYWARE OR A VIRUS VIA ONE OF THE ADS ON THE INTERNET OMFG LOG OFF MOTHERFUCKA

I wonder if you guys really believe that being condescending on the internet makes you look smart.

And I find it quite funny that you tell me to "enjoy living in a bubble" when you're trying to defend cruise ships.

As stated, the only thing being confirmed is your bias

I have a bias against unnecessary risks, yeah.

McNei1y

Cruise ships are having no luck nowadays... Oh and I like how the AD Banner at the top of the page was about cruise ships.

Red

I wonder if you guys really believe that being condescending on the internet makes you look smart.

And I find it quite funny that you tell me to "enjoy living in a bubble" when you're trying to defend cruise ships.

Wait, you're serious?

akira28

Being confined in a living situation with a lot of strangers from around the world, sharing communal facilities and all that? Yeah it's risky. I am always hearing about cruise sickness. They really need to enforce a culture of cleanliness and awareness of communicable illness. No not washing your hands after using the bathroom because you think you're clean, and then going to eat at the buffet. Ship crews need to double clean everything, not just do a half job because business is good and you're super busy and you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow.

Immune systems are weak for the people who are on these cruises, often times retirees and such, plus you have people bringing organisms from areas where people may not be accustomed to them. The risk factors increase, but they can do something about it, other than counting their money.

100% chance someone infected others by not using good hygiene themselves.

Derrick01

Banned

People do lots of things that are dangerous because...fuck if I know. It's not so much the danger as it is me not wanting to be in a cramped area with a ton of other people. Though I'll admit the idea of floating out in open water for no reason at all doesn't appeal to me. I can't think of anything on a cruise that I can't do by myself.

Brazil

Wait, you're serious?

About what?

About the fact that I don't think people look smart on the internet by being condescending, yeah.

About the fact that I dislike cruise ships, yes.

And about the fact that I find offensive that in a minute after I post people sprung up out of nowhere to mob me and point out how "wrong" my beliefs are instead of simply answering the freaking question I asked, yeah.

any time you step into a car you're taking a far bigger risk than anyone on a cruise ship ride.

I guess, but I have reasons to get in a car... While I don't understand which unique pleasures cruise ship trips offer me the could outweight the dangers.

People do lots of things that are dangerous because...fuck if I know. It's not so much the danger as it is me not wanting to be in a cramped area with a ton of other people. Though I'll admit the idea of floating out in open water for no reason at all doesn't appeal to me. I can't think of anything on a cruise that I can't do by myself.

This is exactly where I'm coming from. I wanna know what people find appealing about cruise ship trips, because I just honestly don't have a clue on why they take them.

So did they quarantine these people?

People with the Norovirus get quarantined to their rooms (usually). But people are retarded and don't give a fuck and probably sneak out and infect other people. In any case you can infect people before you even realize your sick which is where most of the outbreak comes from.

Cruise lines take ridiculous precautions to prevent outbreaks like this. Literally everywhere you go they have people with alcohol solution to squirt into your hand. They have people constantly cleaning the most walked paths (wiping the railings etc...). Sucks that cruising is getting such a bad wrap from all this. I don't mind though because hopefully the prices will go down as a result.

Resident Evil: Gaiden

More like

rerev23.jpg

Being confined in a living situation with a lot of strangers from around the world, sharing communal facilities and all that? Yeah it's risky. I am always hearing about cruise sickness. They really need to enforce a culture of cleanliness and awareness of communicable illness. No not washing your hands after using the bathroom because you think you're clean, and then going to eat at the buffet. Ship crews need to double clean everything, not just do a half job because business is good and you're super busy and you'll be doing the same thing tomorrow.

Immune systems are weak for the people who are on these cruises, often times retirees and such, plus you have people bringing organisms from areas where people may not be accustomed to them. The risk factors increase, but they can do something about it, other than counting their money.

100% chance someone infected others by not using good hygiene themselves.

Cruise ships are where the government sends those it chooses at death panels.

FREE CRUISE GRANDMA!!

ezrarh

I'm being 'condescending' because this is the same line of thinking that results in irrational fear of planes for example. Also the same line of thinking that people use when they want to get rid of welfare and social safety nets because of welfare queens. And no, I'm not saying you think that. Your fear isn't supported by any statistical evidence. Sure you can say cruises don't appeal to you and that's fine, they don't appeal to me either but to think they're significantly more dangerous than living in a normal city is not supported by any evidence.

To all the unnecessary risks folks, I give you the immortal words of George Carlin:

"You need a little danger in your life! What are you gonna do, play with your prick for another 30 years? Read People magazine and eat at Wendy's til the end of time? Take a fuckin' chance!"

If I cared about looking smart on the internet I wouldn't post as much shit as I do.

shitty analogy btw

you suck at calculating risks. do you also not drive, take planes, visit relatives in hospitals, swim in the ocean, visit another country, stay in hotel rooms, eat at restaurants, etc.? people are being condescending because you come off as a nutcase. but if you are happy eating your plain oatmeal and never leaving your room, then more power to you.

Red

I'm being 'condescending' because this is the same line of thinking that results in irrational fear of planes for example. Also the same line of thinking that people use when they want to get rid of welfare and social safety nets because of welfare queens. And no, I'm not saying you think that. Your fear isn't supported by any statistical evidence. Sure you can say cruises don't appeal to you and that's fine, they don't appeal to me either but to think they're significantly more dangerous than living in a normal city is irrational.

"Being in a cramped place with a lot of people" as a fear must be debilitating. Rules out churches, hospitals, restaurants, grocery stores, malls, and so on. That's without mentioning vehicles at all.

Derrick01

Banned
To all the unnecessary risks folks, I give you the immortal words of George Carlin:

"You need a little danger in your life! What are you gonna do, play with your prick for another 30 years? Read People magazine and eat at Wendy's til the end of time? Take a fuckin' chance!"

Sounds like good times to me. I don't need to jump off a bridge or take a disease voyage out to the center of the atlantic ocean to have fun.

Zzoram

Basically, one of the chefs in that kitchen didn't wash his hands after his diarrhea, and had shit on his hands and put it in 500 people's food.

"Being in a cramped place with a lot of people" as a fear must be debilitating. Rules out churches, hospitals, restaurants, grocery stores, malls, and so on. That's without mentioning vehicles at all.

The virus, it's it's...

IT'S COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

Brazil

I'm being 'condescending' because this is the same line of thinking that results in irrational fear of planes for example. Also the same line of thinking that people use when they want to get rid of welfare and social safety nets because of welfare queens. And no, I'm not saying you think that. Your fear isn't supported by any statistical evidence. Sure you can say cruises don't appeal to you and that's fine, they don't appeal to me either but to think they're significantly more dangerous than living in a normal city is not supported by any evidence.

Fair enough.

Sounds like good times to me. I don't need to jump off a bridge or take a disease voyage out to the center of the atlantic ocean to have fun.

I laughed.

you suck at calculating risks. do you also not drive, take planes, visit relatives in hospitals, swim in the ocean, visit another country, stay in hotel rooms, eat at restaurants, etc.? people are being condescending because you come off as a nutcase. but if you are happy eating your plain oatmeal and never leaving your room, then more power to you.

I do all of those things all the time.

But as I mentioned in my previous post, I was actually asking people:

No, but seriously. Why?

Because:

I don't understand which unique pleasures cruise ship trips offer me the could outweight the dangers.

Chumly

There are hundreds of cruises every freaking week and yes there could be an outbreak on a few boats during a year. Doesn't make it any worse than going to work every day or anything else in this world. I've been on three cruises already and going on my fourth in March. Never had a problem with sickness or outbreaks.

Chumly

If I'm reading that right, only 14 cruises all last year?

That's considerably better than I would have guessed.

Only confirms my belief that im more than happy taking my chances on a cruise ship. Especially considering our chances we take on our normal daily lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom