• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND advertise more jobs, cryptic exchange between Neil and Bend design manager about NDA's

Bartski

Gold Member
this means nothing, as opposed to the original tweet from ND that is trimmed out from OP that hints at them are working on 3 games now.

Stooky

They put out 3 games last generation and before that, they released a game usually every 2 years

Uncharted 4: 2016
Uncharted Lost Legacy: 2017
TLOU Part II: 2020
it takes to much to make these type of games now, unless your ok with devs crunching. For ND quality level I would say every 3 years.

Stooky

ND really only puts out 1 game per generation. Even if they have several projects in development, they will take their time on 1 project. Aside from TLOU remakes, I would assume we'll see 1 original IP this generation. After that game releases, we'll be looking forward to next-next-gen.
im guessing the same. Traditionally ND does a new IP every gen . The output they did with uncharted during ps3 era won't happen this gen or in the future. These games just take much more time to make currently.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
it takes to much to make these type of games now, unless your ok with devs crunching. For ND quality level I would say every 3 years.
I agree but there's also other variables now. Naughty Dog has grown into a near 600 developers strong and one of the games they currently have in development is a remake which was started by another studio. I think they'll release 4 games this generation

EDMIX

I'll agree with 2 titles but they are doing remakes right now - which is taking time from making original titles. I still stand by 1 original IP title being made this generation before the next one comes online. If I'm wrong, so be it.
Who the fuck is "they"? WE don't even know who is doing the remakes and even the rumor stated it was Sony Bend or something and then stated a San Diego and then stated Naughty Dog. Look..I'm sure Jason Trier takes their job seriously, but I've seen a few massive contradictions that greatly question what he is talking about and more so sounds like he is guessing. At one time, he states something is happening because this or that and gives little to no detail on HOW he'd know WHY such a thing occurred.

As in, you can hear about Days Gone 2 being scrapped and can hear about The Last Of Us remake, how you've put that one is happening because of the other is beyond me when it was even fucking confirmed Sony Bend is doing a new IP, as in something more fucking expensive compared to a sequel to an existing IP.

My educated guess is that ND has a small amount over seeing the remake, but the majority of the remakes development is happening at a team that does remakes, Bluepoint or some other team or something.

Naughty Dog didn't do the Uncharted Collection.
100% of the Sony Japan team didn't do the SoTC REMAKE
All of From Soft didn't do the Demon Souls remake

I'd say enough can be shown that its unlikely anything is being delayed or anything is taking time from original titles based on a remake. For all we know only 15 fucking people from ND are over seeing a remake done by another team or something as I'm 100% folks from ND also oversaw the Uncharted Collection, yet you still got Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, The Last Of Us 2 etc.
Yes, 1 new IP.
Well I agree with this.

I expect the team that did Uncharted 4 is still working on that new IP.
I expect the Last Of Us 2 team to be working on that MP title and engine stuff for The Last Of Us 3

Stooky

I agree but there's also other variables now. Naughty Dog has grown into a near 600 developers strong and one of the games they currently have in development is a remake which was started by another studio. I think they'll release 4 games this generation
To the quality of Last of Us 2 I doubt it. Nd isn't a 600 dev studio. it takes a lot of pre development time to get these types of games in production. Traditionally ND is a one game studio, to do 4 games this gen, at Nd quality and scope, they would have to staff up to almost what Insomniac has. Im not counting remasters etc. Im talking about full games/new ip's.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

ND really only puts out 1 game per generation. Even if they have several projects in development, they will take their time on 1 project. Aside from TLOU remakes, I would assume we'll see 1 original IP this generation. After that game releases, we'll be looking forward to next-next-gen.
Tell me you don't play Naughty Dog games without telling me you don't play Naughty Dog games.

Hobbygaming

To the quality of Last of Us 2 I doubt it. Nd isn't a 600 dev studio. it takes a lot of pre development time to get these types of games in production. Traditionally ND is a one game studio, to do 4 games this gen, at Nd quality and scope, they would have to staff up to almost what Insomniac has. Im not counting remasters etc. Im talking about full games/new ip's.
Naughty Dog has 582 developers and they outsourced for TLOU Part II. They already have 3 games in development currently

Stooky

Naughty Dog has 582 developers and they outsourced for TLOU Part II. They already have 3 games in development currently
Yeah you're right! Ive only been working in games for over a decade and have worked with, work at, or know ppl at most major studios......but hey what do I know....you have all the answers....cheers....... According to you , to have 3 games in progress, in production, with a staff of 600 ppl at Nd quality is impossible. Nd may have been staffed up to 600 ppl in peek TLOU 2 development. That would been with mojority contractors. That would be for 1 game not 3 games in development like you claim.

Last edited:

Turning Around GIF by HBO Max

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Yeah you're right! Ive only been working in games for over a decade and have worked with, work at, or know ppl at most major studios......but hey what do I know....you have all the answers....cheers....... According to you , to have 3 games in progress, in production, with a staff of 600 ppl at Nd quality is impossible. Nd may have been staffed up to 600 ppl in peek TLOU 2 development. That would been with over mojority contractors. That would be for 1 game not 3 games in development like you claim.
You are aware that Neil Druckmann already confirmed that they have multiple games in development right? Lmao and LinkedIn confirms Naughty Dog houses 582 developers today

The 3 games are said to be TLOU remake, Factions 2 and a new IP

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Who the fuck is "they"? WE don't even know who is doing the remakes and even the rumor stated it was Sony Bend or something and then stated a San Diego and then stated Naughty Dog. Look..I'm sure Jason Trier takes their job seriously, but I've seen a few massive contradictions that greatly question what he is talking about and more so sounds like he is guessing. At one time, he states something is happening because this or that and gives little to no detail on HOW he'd know WHY such a thing occurred.

As in, you can hear about Days Gone 2 being scrapped and can hear about The Last Of Us remake, how you've put that one is happening because of the other is beyond me when it was even fucking confirmed Sony Bend is doing a new IP, as in something more fucking expensive compared to a sequel to an existing IP.

My educated guess is that ND has a small amount over seeing the remake, but the majority of the remakes development is happening at a team that does remakes, Bluepoint or some other team or something.

Naughty Dog didn't do the Uncharted Collection.
100% of the Sony Japan team didn't do the SoTC REMAKE
All of From Soft didn't do the Demon Souls remake

I'd say enough can be shown that its unlikely anything is being delayed or anything is taking time from original titles based on a remake. For all we know only 15 fucking people from ND are over seeing a remake done by another team or something as I'm 100% folks from ND also oversaw the Uncharted Collection, yet you still got Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, The Last Of Us 2 etc.

Well I agree with this.

I expect the team that did Uncharted 4 is still working on that new IP.
I expect the Last Of Us 2 team to be working on that MP title and engine stuff for The Last Of Us 3
From what I heard of someone who worked at ND at the time (same one I told you guys about the PC ports to begin with) - ND themselves are rewriting their graphics engine to compensate for PC ports. Take it with a grain of salt. But I would imagine that if I were working at ND, I'd make my graphics engine more portable friendly so that it's less work for the studios doing the porting. They can't do a port when the entire graphics engine has changed IMO.

Last edited:

boomcrab

Hmmm its strange to me that he used an emoji for factions 2 when it's already been officially stated that their working on it. This leads me to believe that it's going to have a completely different name altogether.

EDMIX

From what I heard of someone who worked at ND at the time (same one I told you guys about the PC ports to begin with) - ND themselves are rewriting their graphics engine to compensate for PC ports. Take it with a grain of salt. But I would imagine that if I were working at ND, I'd make my graphics engine more portable friendly so that it's less work for the studios doing the porting. They can't do a port when the entire graphics engine has changed IMO.

Agreed and imho expected. If they plan to port to PC after the fact as a normal thing going forward, they'd want that engine to be friendly with PC and not just some rough port.

Great news for PC btw as that platform has been treated like the red headed step child for the last 2 generations lol

WB be like "I mean...we'll make a Arkham Knight PC version bruv, no worries" (grabs duck tape, chicken wire and hot glue)

Stooky

You are aware that Neil Druckmann already confirmed that they have multiple games in development right? Lmao and LinkedIn confirms Naughty Dog houses 582 developers today

The 3 games are said to be TLOU remake, Factions 2 and a new IP
In development vs In production.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Agreed and imho expected. If they plan to port to PC after the fact as a normal thing going forward, they'd want that engine to be friendly with PC and not just some rough port.

Great news for PC btw as that platform has been treated like the red headed step child for the last 2 generations lol

WB be like "I mean...we'll make a Arkham Knight PC version bruv, no worries" (grabs duck tape, chicken wire and hot glue)

Could be bad news as well for PS5, VERY BAD. Games are optimized around potato PC's not 1% of PC gamers. So HDD and school-level GPU.

And coming from that guy, I would settle for grain of salt instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom