• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos S2 |OT| Spoiler: Snape kills Pablo Escobar - Netflix 9/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

120v

promised myself i wouldn't binge this season, as i'm growing thin on shows to watch. but i put on episode 4 yesterday and boom, burned through the whole thing lol

i know it's not 100% reality based but man, i never quite grasped how crazy the situation the cartel situation was (and, arguably, still is), and i considered myself fairly well read on it before

i wonder if season 3 is essentially going to be a reboot ... lot of directions to go of course but to continue the story arcs as is sans escobar would seem pretty hollow imo

With regards to the ending...

I thought Pena was going to come back and season 3 would focus on the Cali Cartel? Did I interpret that ending wrong?

mantidor

I have no idea how you can say that they portray him as a sympathetic character. He's shown to be a delusional and hypocritical monster.

There are scenes that push it, like Escobar's mom and her sob story about stealing shoes because he had ragged shoes, the thing is that Escobar wasn't really a poor kid, they were very middle class. It's small details like that, specially when they are made up.

I personally think they had the same balance as season one, with how Pablo was portrayed as loving father, and vicious murdering drug trafficker.

The dif between this season is that it feels less documentary drama, and more hbo drama. There's def some Sopranos, and also Scarface sprinkled all over this season.

Foggy

Amazing season through and through. I'm surprised with some of the creative liberties they took, but overall it's an incredible show. This season in particular catered to Jose Padilha's strengths. Hell, in fact the Elite Squad movies could've benefited from being a tv show considering how he likes to construct his stories.

Just two seasons through and this is already an incredible gift. Episodic South American non-fiction period crime epic spearheaded by Padilha and Moura with an exceptional cast on top of that. The production values to make this happen can't be overlooked either. Bless Netflix.

mantidor

Finally finished, it was ok, but I'm bit ambivalent about the liberties they took, at least they didn't go with the "Pablo killed himself" tinfoil theories of deluded people.

Around episode 7
I was lost about the bombing, trying to recall it I thought about another one in a shopping center but it was actually another one. There were so much bombings, they kind of blurred in my memory, there was certainly not actual "tipping" point, you were just kind of used to it and wanted Escobar dead.

I would be really interested in their take on the Cali cartel and the subsequent rise of the FARC and AUC (the paramilitaries led by the Castaños) as the real new narcos. It's a story that has actually never been told, an it's just as insane, it just doesn't have that central figure.

Qvoth

considering judy moncada is a fictional character, that could mean the link between pena and cali cartel becomes very thin, and might mean pena not being a main character if there really is a season 3
might as well be an anthology series by then and totally do a new place rather than colombia again
wtzgU.gif

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
considering judy moncada is a fictional character, that could mean the link between pena and cali cartel becomes very thin, and might mean pena not being a main character if there really is a season 3
might as well be an anthology series by then and totally do a new place rather than colombia again
wtzgU.gif

An anthology series would be great. They should do El Chapo next season or at some point.

On episode 4 right now and just like last season I'm finding Wagner's Spanish a little distracting. I know he's not fluent in Spanish but his slow deliberate speech compared to the rest of the cast seems off.

That aside, this is fucking great shit

Nyx

Yeah, that was a great season, think I liked it even more than the first.

Saw a post regarding the beautiful women in this show, nobody beats Miss Colombia from the intro though. ;)

edit: Oh, and was ''The Lion'' the same character as Johnny Depp in Blow or?
It's been ages since I seen that, but it seemed so familiar in this show.

LeleSocho

Banned
Ending spoiler:
Is there even any appeal to the series now that Pablo is dead? I know that i won't watch the third season now that he is dead and i'm sure that there's other people that thinks like me.

Ending spoiler:
Is there even any appeal to the series now that Pablo is dead? I know that i won't watch the third season now that he is dead and i'm sure that there's other people that thinks like me.

Yeah, read some stuff about the
Cali Cartel
, from the looks of it, the shit they do is 10x more insane.

jmood88

Ending spoiler:
Yes, especially if they are following the Cali cartel.

Moff

like it a lot after 2 episodes

but damn, whe does pablo get all these kick ass sweaters from?

bidguy

Banned
in ep2 pablos wife says something like " lets just disappear,we could go anywhere"

is that true ? i mean the guy cant travel outside a trunk anymore, sure he got enough money to buy the whole country but would that be enough to escape with it and settle down somewhere ?

Just finished the last episode, wonder how good this show will be without Wagner. Awesome season nonetheless. BTW Tata was bangin in this my goodness.

She certainly was. God damn.

I loved the season, but Wagner Moura's performance was so good I don't know how the show carries on to the same standard without him.

The Castaños are real life cunts. Pablo is a saint compared with their shit.

Hopefully they dive into that. World needs to know.

Didn't one kill the other? It's beyond terrible that to bring down a drug kingpin, you have to employ a far right military that slaughtered entire villages of innocent people.

Ending spoiler:

Oh yea, gangster culture is fascinating despite being very morbid.

The fact that the show had bits of actual real life situations sprinkled in somehow elevates the drama

So how they bring down the Cali cartel will be a good watch I believe

Oh yea, gangster culture is fascinating despite being very morbid.

The fact that the show had bit is actual situations sprinkled in somehow elevates the drama

So how they bring down the Cali cartel will be a good watch I believe

The funny thing about this show for me from the start...

I knew very little about Pablo Escobar going in, other than he was a notorious drug kingpin who died in the 90's.

Whenever I thought 'this show is jumping the shark' with plot points (La Catedral being an obvious example) I'd look it up only to find out it actually happened.

Curufinwe

Sounds like there will be at least one more season.

But “Narcos” will go on even if Moura is bowing out after Season 2. The finale sets up a clear path for the story to continue beyond the destruction of Escobar’s Medellin cartel.

“We’ll stop when the drug trade stops,” Padilha says. Adds Newman: “We’ll stop when you stop. That’s our pact with America.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/narcos-season-2-netflix-pablo-escobar-wagner-moura-1201850175/
http://www.thewrap.com/narcos-meet-the-drug-lord-that-could-be-season-3s-villain/

And here's Wagner Moura talking about the body changes he went thru to play Escobar.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11703928

Brazilian actor Wagner Moura, 40, gained 18kg for the lead role in the Netflix show, but he told NPR that it was assuming Escobar's personality that he found most taxing.

"What happens is that when you're living with a character like that, it's not like characters are taking your body," he said, "It's just that you're dealing with a certain kind of energy every day that's not good at all."

When filming wrapped on the second and final season, Wagner adopted a vegan diet to shed the weight he packed on to play the Colombian drug kingpin.

"Doing the vegan diet wasn't only about losing weight, but getting rid of that character, you know, getting rid of that energy that I was having to live with for two years."

And he's ruled out taking on such a physically demanding role ever again.

"No, I wouldn't change my body again, Moura said.

"I meant that's - I think that's something for young people to do, you know. I can't do that anymore. My cholesterol was - it was horrible."

derp1.jpg

D23

Binged the crap out of season 2 over labor day weekend.

Amazing, just as good as season 1.

Idk how they can top it for season 3

The CIA guy reminded me of the Mysterious Stranger in Red Dead.

Good asshole character. Hopefully he comes back in S3.
Personally I felt like S2's ending was setting up potential conflict between the DEA and CIA in addition to switching focus to the Cali Cartel.

Great news. Finished the season yesterday and loved it. The tension as you get into the final episodes is unsettling. I said it before and I'll say it again: The show is goddamn beautiful to watch.

Favorite scenes:
The meeting after the wedding bombing where the Cali head realized Escobar was completely unhinged and declared war on the entire organization. I loved how he switched from a state of quiet shock to apocalyptic rage.
Christmas assault. Terrific action setpiece, and it also shows how much of a piece of work Pablo's mother was. Seeing her unable to understand it was her fault showed how similar she was to Pablo.

Started rewatching s1 yesterday before I watch s2 again. First episodes are kinda rough because so much needs to be set up but after episode 5 everything begins to gel.

Nyx

Did some digging myself and it turns out ''The Lion'' is not George Jung, played by Depp in Blow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Jung

He did really remind me of Depp though.
For anyone who missed the movie (it's from 2001) it might be a good watch after Narcos.
I also recommend the documentary ''Cocaine Cowboys''.

mantidor

I was reminded of a colombian movie Satanas (it might be blocked in some countries though), because it has the actors who played Maritza and Gilberto Rodriguez. It's about the real life massacre of Pozetto, a restaurant in Bogota, its also in the 80s.

The Castaños are real life cunts. Pablo is a saint compared with their shit.

Hopefully they dive into that. World needs to know.

Lets not go that far, the difference is really only Escobar's delusions of grandeur.

The world kind of knows anyway, I really want to have focus on both AUC and specially FARC, specially because of naive liberals abroad still supporting them for some reason.

I loved how they portray the CIA
as in they would screw over the DEA for "bigger" interests, which is kinda true afaik, in the first season they talk about the death of camarena, a dea agent, and the guys who killed him where supposedly protected by the CIA because they helped fund the contras in Nicaragua

One thing i hated this season and in season one is the accents, like some dudes dont even try, i know is nitpicky af but i really like hearing the colombian accents, really pleasant to the ear.

I started kinda reading about Kiki Camarena when S1 released and actually ended up coming across the transcripts of his torture almost by accident. It's pretty fucked up.

The funny thing about this show for me from the start...

I knew very little about Pablo Escobar going in, other than he was a notorious drug kingpin who died in the 90's.

Whenever I thought 'this show is jumping the shark' with plot points (La Catedral being an obvious example) I'd look it up only to find out it actually happened.

Yea stuff like that is always an eye brow raiser, especially when they cut to real footage of past news reels it's like whoa this actually happened.

There are many more who were similar to Pablo Escobar in their ruthlessness that have yet to be discussed. Watch cocaine Cowboys if you get the chance

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I finished it, it was pretty good. Wagner Moura was so good,
the confrontation with his dad was so compelling and sad
I also can't believe he got me to empathize with Escobar for a few moments. I will watch the next season but honestly i can't see how they top Moura's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom