• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muckraking Tabloid Journalist Jason Schreier upset at a new game studio "Lacking Diversity in 2021"

AGRacing

Gotta love how he also pats himself on the back for "adding a woman" back in his podcast days. Narcissistic to the core. I love how he'll of course ignore pointing out that "how can a game be good with no diversity!?". When of course games of the past (and current) that come from Japan are all made by 99% Japanese devs.

One of the all time dumbest responses to a group photo I have ever fucking seen. An absolute moron.

supernova8

Banned
Personally, if i was hired because i fulfilled a race/gender/diversity quota I'd be hella annoyed. I want to be hired because I'm the best candidate. Not just the best candidate who was able to tick race/gender/diversity boxes

I've been hired to tick a diversity box in the past, and it was one of the worst jobs I ever had. Pay was fine but there was no sense of "I'm here to do this actual job". Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

ManaByte

Shouldn’t his tweets be considered as inciting violence? We all know “calling out” this dev team for being white is a just a tactic to get the Twitter mob going. I imagine they’re already getting death threats because of Jason.

It's only inciting violence when it happens to them. When they do it to someone on the wrong side of history, it's justice.

AGRacing

Oh gosh, I hope he blocks me. Off I go, folks!

For reference, here is my comment:

XqKIJLm.png
Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Kamina

Golden Boy
The irony here is that he may have started a mob for these people now, but when a counter mob decides to tag him he will blame it on gamergate and toxic white males or some other weird SWJ nonsense.
He and the rest of these woke “videogame bloggers” are just human trash.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I'm all for pushing diversity but there not even 20 people there. I could see complaint if it's like 100 or something
Imagine getting the group of 20 together and being like :

"Sorry Bob, Randy, and Pete. Jason said we have too many er.. white dudes so er.. we're gonna have to let you go."

Guarantee 100% he would not be championing forced/peer-pressured diversity if his boss suddenly came in and said:

"Sorry Jason we have too many white people. We're giving your job to Karen. You've got 30 minutes to clear your desk."

tkscz

Yep. Especially in this industry. My Computer Engineering major had 1 girl total. We started off at around a 100 students with maybe 5 girls and by the time we graduated, there were like 30 male and 1 female student left. Had to take a few Computer Science courses and while they had a few more girls, it was still 95% men.

This is just how this industry is. Girls dont give a shit about programming. They dont give a shit about games. All my friends were in business or medical majors and girls were everywhere in those majors. it was like 2:1 in some classes.

I go to my dentist and everyone there is female. The receptionists. The Dental Hygenists. 2 of the 3 Dentists are women. Do they need diversity? Nearly 90% of all nurses are female. Should Jason call them out?

This is insanity.
This is something I've pointed out even now as I continue through my Systems career. Women just don't give a fuck about Computer Sciences. Back when I was in college, I had like three women in my programming/Virtual machine/SQL classes, and it was the same three women in each class. That number increased in the Microsoft Office and Adobe classes but their major's were business oriented. Even now I get plenty of young men asking how they can get into IS/IT as a career, but the only young woman I got was my own daughter who probably only cares because of me. Most her friends have no interest in computer sciences and are tired of being told that they should or have to care. Even now there are two women in IS at the company I work. Talking to women in the company, they just don't want to deal with CS/IS/IT.

Enjay

Banned
Jaffe's the man. He's actually one of the best game commentators / journalists around.

When you look at professional sports, the journalists and courtside commentators are often star players and ex-coaches. In gaming that is never the case, until Jaffe. Now you have a prominent game director putting some effort into journalism / entertainment. All he's missing is the large budget sound stage. It's still early days for his podcast, but I think he's got potential to be one of the best - and he lands multiple industry interviews for obvious reasons.
🤣😂😭

B D Joe

I imagine it's daunting starting up a new studio, working long hours developing your game. All the while unsure whether it will be successful.

A decent human being would never criticise anyone taking on this challenge.

I wish them the best and hope they don't get loads of unwarranted hate due to his pathetic tweet.

Enjay

Banned
Dang E Enjay lol, you really don't like him for some reason. I see you in every Jaffe thread laughing.
The bolded was especially funny. Game director of smash hits like twisted metal 2012 and that pen and paper shooter I don't even remember the name of. And author of hard hitting journalistic pieces like "All White People Are Racist."

Last edited:

catvonpee

Unfortunately, China is funding it.
I don't really buy into the China is bad politics. Governments are bad all over and the people remain being awesome. I know China unleashed covid on the world and a communist dictatorship is bad... But Chinese people are cool AF and there's at least two Chinese games I am ecstatic to play. Chinese food is awesome too. 8)

If everyone held the American government to the same standard as people who are different we'd be the lowest on the list. I have been all over the world for work and America is definitely my favorite place. I have an American flag flying proudly in my yard.

But no one is innocent. All politicians are corrupt in one form or another.

paparazzo

“Do unto others” doesn’t exist in the minds of narcissists like Schreier. In their world, if you’re not “punching up”, you’re an enabler who should be targeted all the same.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Game director of smash hits like twisted metal 2012 and that pen and paper shooter I don't even remember the name of.
He also directed a few other games. Now compare that list of yours to other game journalists.

How does that compare? That was kinda the whole point of my post. Any comment?

AGRacing

I already have some sort of male feminist telling me how wrong I am, lol! he must have been waiting for that moment like this:

9UWN8Ha.jpg
You know I'm thinking of this podcast he added a woman to... like she was an ingredient in his pantry. Talks about it like he could have added anyone with a vagina to improve the output....

Maybe she was a person with some skill at podcasting? Maybe talk about what she PERSONALLY added? The odds of ANYONE being better than he is at it are certainly sky high.

Enjay

Banned
He also directed a few other games. Now compare that list of yours to other game journalists.

How does that compare? That was kinda the whole point of my post. Any comment?
Failing downward to needing a patreon and a podcast isnt the same thing as shaq retiring ane becoming a broadcaster. Thanks for reminding me to put a shill on ignore.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Failing downward to needing a patreon and a podcast isnt the same thing as shaq retiring ane becoming a broadcaster. Thanks for reminding me to put a shill on ignore.
So you can't compare his resume to previous journalists then.

Gotcha. Guess you're just a dishonest troll then. Please put me on ignore.

FunkMiller

Mr Schreier is absolutely correct. They are all white and male, and are therefore awful. Probably Nazis. There's no way Nazis can make good games. Have you played Wolfenstein Youngblood?

...but hang on, Mr Schreier is also a white male, so that must mean he is a Nazi too. But he is Jewish. But also a Nazi. So he hates himself.

And I am white and male as well. I must be a Nazi too. But I haven't even been to Germany. But I am a Nazi.

Oh God.

We're all Nazis.

Nazis must not be allowed to make video games.

...other than for Nintendo, that's fine.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I wonder if he would be sounding the alarm if it was an all-female team! Hint: no he wouldn't, because that wouldn't give him virtue-signalling points on Twitter.

Personally and this may surprise some based on my post history, but I think women do add something unique that men don't bring (and vice-versa) and if their skill level is high enough, then unless we're talking about a super-macho type game (bring it on), then bravo, the game/team may benefit! If not, then there's plenty of diversity among men the last time I checked, even among white men, shock horror!

Umbasaborne

Banned
Shcreiers a great journalist, but he’s the definition of a white knight. Something tells me that no one said “lets make sure we dont hire any women” when they were starting the studio. I mean shit maybe it was a group of buddies from college, maybe no women applied. I just think its shitty to assume immediatley that they were being sexist.

CGiRanger

Banned
I updated the OP with more information on the game devs themselves "Raccoon Logic" (former Typhoon Studio devs from Google/Stadia) with this article here: https://gamasutra.com/view/news/386...d_secure_Savage_Planet_rights_from_Google.php
Chatting to Gamasutra about their broader ambitions for Raccoon, Hutchinson and Schneider spoke of a desire to take risks, act decisively, and commit to being creativity-led rather than production-led.

"While that sounds simple, what it translates to is that we always need to make the best decisions for the project rather than potentially arbitrary dates or initiatives that may not translate into success for the project or studio," Schneider says. "That’s not to say that we don’t have milestones and deadlines -- we absolutely do -- but at the end of the day the creative leadership needs to be able to make the final calls for the game."

Schneider specifically highlights the value of sustainable development, explaining the Typhoon team "never did any crunch or mandated weekends." The co-founders intend to replicate that mindset at Raccoon, and suggest it's vital the entire team feels supported and safe.

Top Bottom