• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(MTV) Racism Among The Many Foes Online Gamers Must Fight

Raiden

Banned
Why is a 7 year old kid playing an "M" rated game? Its there for a reason.

Other than that, i love those crazy religious people.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Error2k4 said:
bollocks, I think the whole reason why minority groups are attacked with racist comments on Live or the internet is because those people can't say those things in real life so they relieved their hate on minority groups on internet or Live under the shield of anonymity.

It has been my experience so far that the majority (perhaps not by much, but at least a bit more than half) of people on the net who spew hatred of a given stripe at a race/group/club/fandom/lifestyle/gender/sexual orientation, may in fact try to shield themselves with the "it's just an e-joke har har" defense... but closer examination hints that they really do have a problem. The thing about the net, I have seen over the last 10 years I've been on it, is that it also acts as a great excuse for one's self. You go online and hate asians or "fags", and because the Internet is just a big Playstation game, you can tell yourself that you're an okay person in real life... where you just happen to have strong social pressures surrounding you that tend to prevent you making a slip and allowing your dark side from showing.

But it doesn't change the fact that say, you obsessively go online to hate and insult people. Wow, you sure do like to do that, don'tcha... maybe something's a bit repressed?

I know that "nerdy" guys in particular flock to it, all joking aside. Just recently, I dealt with a nutty kid who was a real intellectual, bookworm major in sociology and language - he's really bright, actually knows something... but goes online to present himself as an older, superior intellectual and find "stupid" people to utterly destroy, to celebrate his superiority. Online he's one of the biggest assholes I've EVER seen, stunning.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Raiden said:
Why is a 7 year old kid playing an "M" rated game? Its there for a reason.

Other than that, i love those crazy religious people.

Ever sell a mature rated game? You'll be standing at the register, slightly out of shape but still hittable mother handing you the title with her seven year old bouncing up and down as if he's got the epilepsy. You'll inform her that the game is rated for Mature audiences, winking while saying it as to imply another kind of mature scenario you'd like to get into with her, and she'll sigh saying "Yes, but there's nothing I can do." You'll then realize she's a spineless shit, hand her her games, and think about her breasts for the next half hour or so.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Why would someone go out of their way to try to make a controversial alias on Live anyhow?

Didn't their mothers teach them anything? Never discuss or bring up politics or religion. It's a touchy subject for many.

AirBrian

border said:
Haha....I always thought that X360 commercial with the big water balloon fight was deceptive, disgraceful advertising.

The kids should be yelling "Fuck you nigger Jew faggot!" and "I want some motherfuckin' chocolate milk!" at each other, so as to accurately portray the Live Experience.
And we have a winner!

cicero said:
As a "puertorican" I would have thought that by now you would have realized it is actually "Puerto Rican". :p

Actually, as a Puerto Rican, it's Puertorriqueño or alternately Puertoriqueño.

Gio_CoD

Banned
I'm sorry, but if you pick the gamer tag "Black Jesus", you know full well that you're gonna get shit over it. That guy was looking to start shit the moment he signed up, and now he's shocked that he's getting it?

I don't condone racism in any form, but on the same front, if you go out looking to stir up trouble from the get-go, you're probably gonna bring out the worst in people.

Everybody in this thread has had racist thoughts at some point in their life but we don't say anything because we know at the end of the day, it's only a small minority of people in any ethnic group that perpetuate the stereotypes of said race.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Haleon said:
I'm sorry, but if you pick the gamer tag "Black Jesus", you know full well that you're gonna get shit over it. That guy was looking to start shit the moment he signed up, and now he's shocked that he's getting it?

I don't condone racism in any form, but on the same front, if you go out looking to stir up trouble from the get-go, you're probably gonna bring out the worst in people.

Everybody in this thread has had racist thoughts at some point in their life but we don't say anything because we know at the end of the day, it's only a small minority of people in any ethnic group that perpetuate the stereotypes of said race.

MTV picked the worst example... as only they can do so well.. Just playing Halo and hearing my friends who are indeed very white, being called Nigger, Jew.. or Spic bean picker or some other funky racial atacks because they are winning..

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Haleon said:

How would someone know that before they ever play online though. So nobody can use the word Black in their tag?

Gio_CoD

Banned
Blackace said:
MTV picked the worst example... as only they can do so well.. Just playing Halo and hearing my friends who are indeed very white, being called Nigger, Jew.. or Spic bean picker or some other funky racial atacks because they are winning..
I don't know... I don't play Live as often as some (and I never win because I'm fucking horrible at Halo 2), but I've personally never even heard racial insults being thrown about. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think it's a "problem" by any stretch of the word.

Blackace

mckmas8808 said:
How would someone know that before they ever play online though. So nobody can use the word Black in their tag?

Not to put words in their mouth but I think they mean the Jesus part...

Gio_CoD

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Because it's blasphemy to Christians for anyone to proclaim themselves as Jesus?

blackace said:
when does it become one of these?
To be honest with you, I'm not sure it ever does. Who cares if there are some racist nerds on Xbox Live? It's not like they're running the hiring departments of major corporations.

Blackace

Haleon said:
Because it's blasphemy to Christians for anyone to proclaim themselves as Jesus?

Wrong.. I know a lot of people named Jesus.. be even worst if the guy was Cuban and his name was Jesus he really would be Black Jesus then

Gio_CoD

Banned
Blackace said:
Wrong.. I know a lot of people named Jesus.. be even worst if the guy was Cuban and his name was Jesus he really would be Black Jesus then
Oh come on, you know what I meant. Obviously Jesus is a real name that people use, but this guy wasn't saying "Hey everybody! My name is Jesus and I happen to be black!"

AirBrian

Haleon said:
To be honest with you, I'm not sure it ever does. Who cares if there are some racist nerds on Xbox Live? It's not like they're running the hiring departments of major corporations.
Who cares? How about it's completely offensive and unnecessary, not to mention racist!

Gio_CoD

Banned
AirBrian said:
Who cares? How about it's completely offensive and unnecessary, not to mention racist!
But like I said, they're just on Xbox Live. They have no control over reality. And to be honest, I can't understand how anybody could be offended by some complete moron on Halo 2 being racist. It's not like it's somebody you thought you respected or anything. It's just a faceless nerd with a chip on his shoulder. Seems like it would be easy to brush off to me.

But yeah, it is unnecessary, but it's also unnecessary to pay attention to the idiots.

Blackace

Haleon said:
Oh come on, you know what I meant. Obviously Jesus is a real name that people use, but this guy wasn't saying "Hey everybody! My name is Jesus and I happen to be black!"

I don't kow what you mean to be honest. Jesus is a common Spanish name. Just like John or Mike. Black Mike would be ok, but Black Jesus is asking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, I kow that wasn't his name nor that was what he was trying to do; but it doesn't make it ok for someone to start calling him a nigger, or whatever..

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MightyHedgehog said:
Ah OK. I can't imagine telling someone who's what (or at least that specific) from the sound of their voice too well.

Ah yes memories of playing with some of my beloved GAF folk in Midtown Madness on XBL and being asked after I spoke... you're Darien?!?!?! and... you're... Black?!?! dance through my head...

:lol :lol

Blackace

DarienA said:
Ah yes memories of playing with some of my beloved GAF folk in Midtown Madness on XBL and being asked after I spoke... you're Darien?!?!?! and... you're... Black?!?! dance through my head...

:lol :lol

wtf? you're black?

Gio_CoD

Banned
Blackace said:
I don't kow what you mean to be honest. Jesus is a common Spanish name. Just like John or Mike. Black Mike would be ok, but Black Jesus is asking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, I kow that wasn't his name nor that was what he was trying to do; but it doesn't make it ok for someone to start calling him a nigger, or whatever..
Of course it doesn't make it right for someone to call him racist names. There's no situation that it's right in. I just guess I'm in the "who really gives a fuck what some faceless stranger thinks of you" camp.

AirBrian

Haleon said:
But like I said, they're just on Xbox Live. They have no control over reality. And to be honest, I can't understand how anybody could be offended by some complete moron on Halo 2 being racist. It's not like it's somebody you thought you respected or anything. It's just a faceless nerd with a chip on his shoulder. Seems like it would be easy to brush off to me.

But yeah, it is unnecessary, but it's also unnecessary to pay attention to the idiots.
I guess my problem is that it ruins the online experience and completely turns me off from online gaming against people I don't know. I understand that games get competitive and intense...and that’s part of the fun. But racist name calling is just ignorant.

Blackace

Haleon said:
Of course it doesn't make it right for someone to call him racist names. There's no situation that it's right in. I just guess I'm in the "who really gives a fuck what some faceless stranger thinks of you" camp.

well the bottomline is faceless or not the words hurt and have years of hate behind them, be it nigger, wetback, whop, mick, or whatever...

Edit: I will never forget the first time I was called "a half-breed" like it was my fault and completely wrong.. to this day that insult makes me want to hurt somebody..

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dr_Cogent said:
Is that really surprising?

Hey wait.. wtf is that suppose to mean?

Blackace said:
have you seen MGS4?

I hate you!

Dr_Cogent said:
The trailer? Yes. Did someone say they were surprised someone was black in the trailer? I'm not getting what you are driving at.

Inside joke.

Gio_CoD

Banned
AirBrian said:
I guess my problem is that it ruins the online experience and completely turns me off from online gaming against people I don't know. I understand that games get competitive and intense...and that’s part of the fun. But racist name calling is just ignorant.
Hey, I agree with you. It's ignorant and unnecessary, but we live in a pretty imperfect world, so I just ignore the the things I can't control.

DSN2K

I was stunned by the amount of racism while playing on LIVE. :(

I never heard a single racist comment from UK or European players as it was the Americans sorry to say.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DarienA said:
Hey wait.. wtf is that suppose to mean?

There was no double meaning in there Darien. I just find it humorous that sometimes people just assume others are the same color as they are. Not that Blackace did that necessarily, but that does happen quite frequently.

I really didn't know what color you were. My point is, color shouldn't matter. Far too many people focus too much on our differences in this world which helps keep us all at odds.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What I don't get is how so many people act like all racism is born from pure ignorance of racial equality or something. In many cases it's obvious that a person is racist simply because it's the easiest and fastest way to be a dick/elicit a reaction. Maybe they really are a racist, maybe they really do hate people of other ethnicities, but a lot of times the origin/cause isn't real hate of those ethnicities but rather them being a loser and racism being easy.

Blackace

Dr_Cogent said:
There was no double meaning in there Darien. I just find it humorous that sometimes people just assume others are the same color as they are. Not that Blackace did that necessarily, but that does happen quite frequently.

I really didn't know what color you were. My point is, color shouldn't matter. Far too many people focus too much on our differences in this world which helps keep us all at odds.

if it helps.. I am black (well half at least) and I know DA is black.. Just I tend to say that whenever someone says I am black, because someone else is going to come in and say it... happens in OT more often than here

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dr_Cogent said:
The trailer? Yes. Did someone say they were surprised someone was black in the trailer? I'm not getting what you are driving at.

Where's the black man in the trailer. I would love to see it.

Blackace

sp0rsk said:
My theory is that alot of uneducated rednecks love xbox. Hence a lot of racists.

you might be on to sumthang dere

shpankey

not an idiot
Xellotah said:
sp0rsk said:
My theory is that alot of uneducated rednecks love xbox. Hence a lot of racists.
That comment, is actually in its own way... racist.
yup

this goes into the more stereotypical racism... being from oklahoma, we get this shit a lot.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mckmas8808 said:
Yeah actually that statement is racist. :lol

Im "racist" against stupid rednecks?

Just to let you know i live in the middle of a redneck epicenter. Im not talking about southerners in general.

Gio_CoD

Banned
While we're on this "uneducated rednecks" thing, let me go ahead and say that the stereotying of southerners as being dumb, inbred hicks is every bit as bad as stereotyping blacks as criminals.

I've lived in the south for ten years now (originally from England, then grew up in New Jersey), and some of the best people I've ever met in my life have the most pronounced southern drawl you could ever hope to (or hope NOT to) hear.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Im "racist" against stupid rednecks?

Just to let you know i live in the middle of a redneck epicenter. Im not talking about southerners in general.

Redneck is considered a derogatory term.

Haleon said:
While we're on this "uneducated rednecks" thing, let me go ahead and say that the stereotying of southerners as being dumb, inbred hicks is every bit as bad as stereotyping blacks as criminals.

I've lived in the south for ten years now (originally from England, then grew up in New Jersey), and some of the best people I've ever met in my life have the most pronounced southern drawl you could ever hope to (or hope NOT to) hear.

IMO, you can't beat good southern hospitality. On business in LA, I have had nothing but good experiences.

Lo-Volt

Dr_Cogent said:
Why would someone go out of their way to try to make a controversial alias on Live anyhow?

Didn't their mothers teach them anything? Never discuss or bring up politics or religion. It's a touchy subject for many.

Doesn't that sound like blaming a woman for being sexually assaulted because of the way she dressed? I don't think we should be understating how wrong it is for people on Live to be doing what they're doing, nor should we be suggesting that they are ultimately responsible for the kind of language they spew to the chagrin of the people who have to hear it. Someone's handle being "Black Jesus" does not excuse others' racism or utter immaturity.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dr_Cogent said:
Redneck is considered a derogatory term.
You might want to tell that to them kids driving around in their "Redneck Cadillacs." (Yes, I have seen people [that's plural folks] driving around in trucks with the words "Redneck Cadillac" posted on them.)

IMO, you can't beat good southern hospitality. On business in LA, I have had nothing but good experiences.

I'd throw in a joke about southerners and beating, but I'll let you all do that yourself.

Lo-Volt said:
Doesn't that sound like blaming a woman for being sexually assaulted because of the way she dressed? I don't think we should be understating how wrong it is for people on Live to be doing what they're doing, nor should we be suggesting that they are ultimately responsible for the kind of language they spew to the chagrin of the people who have to hear it. Someone's handle being "Black Jesus" does not excuse others' racism or utter immaturity.
It doesn't excuse it, but you can't go in imagining it won't happen.
You've gotta either be prepared to deal with it, or just rethink your nick.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dr_Cogent said:
So whats the diff? It's still stereotyping and a word that is rooted in bigotry.

Racism isn't good, and neither is bigotry.

Listen, do you know what a redneck is? Have you ever seen someone with a giant sticker that says REDNECK on their car? Do you think they are constantly offended by the giant advertisment they have on their car that basically says "close minded retard"? A true redneck loves to be ignorant and they hate everyone that isnt like them.

A redneck is not just a southerner, im sure you may think that but if youve lived in the south you know the difference between a southerner and a redneck.

A southerner is someone who lives in the south.

A redneck is a good ol boy that does stuff like walk up to guys asking if they are gay and beat them up if they say yes. A redneck is a low class close minded racist moron. Yes you might think it's derogatory, but these people are proud of it!

shpankey

not an idiot
RevenantKioku said:
You might want to tell that to them kids driving around in their "Redneck Cadillacs." (Yes, I have seen people [that's plural folks] driving around in trucks with the words "Redneck Cadillac" posted on them.)
Just because some people embrace the term as their own doesn't mean it can't be derogatory. Black rappers call themselves the N bomb all the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't derogatory when used as an insult.

Top Bottom