• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies so good that never got a sequel

Gp1

Master_and_Commander-The_Far_Side_of_the_World_poster.png

Criminally underrated. It's one of my all time favorites.

Still waiting for some info about the prequel that they "announced" sometime ago.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Good call about Edge of Tomorrow. I absolutely LOVED that movie. There have been rumors about a sequel for a few years now, but nothing has happened yet.
Edge of Tomorrow was excellent and there's a sequel script doing the rounds, gonna have to rewatch tbf cause i thought it was all done and dusted at the end, as for True Lies, 9/11 killed its sequel hopes unfortunately and man i've been waiting on news about a WWZ sequel for years ffs, must be stuck in limbo, the first was an excellently entertaining flick

dave_d

At this point i am surprised that we havent gotten old Forrest Gump or Marty McFly’s daughter movies but i dont think Disney owns those (yet)
Well I think this explains it.

Winston Groom was paid $350,000 for the screenplay rights to his novel Forrest Gump and was contracted for a 3 percent share of the film's net profits.[90] However, Paramount and the film's producers did not pay him the percentage, using Hollywood accounting to posit that the blockbuster film lost money. Tom Hanks, by contrast, contracted for a percent share of the film's gross receipts instead of a salary, and he and director Zemeckis each received $40 million.[90][91] In addition, Groom was not mentioned once in any of the film's six Oscar-winner speeches.[92]

Groom's dispute with Paramount was later effectively resolved after Groom declared he was satisfied with Paramount's explanation of their accounting, this coinciding with Groom receiving a seven-figure contract with Paramount for film rights to another of his books, Gump & Co.[93] This film was never made, remaining in development hell for at least a dozen years.[94]

The Losers (2010) comes to mind. A fun action thriller with a charismatic cast and a decent plot. It even leaves the door wide open for a sequel with its ending.

I also want to mention The Gray Man (2022) as it is in a similar situation, but I think I read something about a sequel getting green-lit.

simpatico

There was technically 3, but I wouldn't mind a modern Star Wars. It's been 40 years since RotJ. Could be pretty cool if done right.

Hudo

To everyone who said "Constantine": I love you all. That movie is my favorite Keanu Reeves movie by far. And also, the performance by Peter Stromare as Lucifer was and still is awesome.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
To everyone who said "Constantine": I love you all. That movie is my favorite Keanu Reeves movie by far. And also, the performance by Peter Stromare as Lucifer was and still is awesome.
He was an awesome Lucifer tbf, looked the part and his entry was just class, guy oozes evil just being him ffs, Constantine should've had numerous sequels

MaestroMike

Gold Member
been playing chappie on repeat so I guess that movie grew on me as well we have all these transformers and terminators films i think there couldve been room for another robot movie franchise I've been into robots lately for some reason lol maybe I'm getting myself hyped for armored core vi a franchise I never played

xrnzaaas

World War Z deserves to be forgotten, it's a horrible hollywood flick with absolutely no respect to the source material and a shitload of dumb scenes (especially the plane crash). I'm still hoping someone will still adapt the book as the mini-series with each episode handling a specific chapter and featuring various moments from the zombie war.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The Losers (2010) comes to mind. A fun action thriller with a charismatic cast and a decent plot. It even leaves the door wide open for a sequel with its ending.

I also want to mention The Gray Man (2022) as it is in a similar situation, but I think I read something about a sequel getting green-lit.

The losers seems amazing! And with some actors that I love( Elba and Saldana). How did I miss it?! Thanks for the discovery!

K' Dash

World War Z deserves to be forgotten, it's a horrible hollywood flick with absolutely no respect to the source material and a shitload of dumb scenes (especially the plane crash). I'm still hoping someone will still adapt the book as the mini-series with each episode handling a specific chapter and featuring various moments from the zombie war.
season 6 friends GIF

its not going to win any awards, clearly, but I liked it.

Lunarorbit

Running Scared (1986)

Would love to have seen a sequel to this as it's a personal favorite of mine. From what I've read they actually tried to do a sequel but could never get a good script together.
MV5BMTYzMDYyNDYwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM2OTY2NA@@._V1_.jpg
Haha. I saw this recently and was cracking up. These two are the worst cops. Then they bounce and then just go milf hunting down in Florida.

It's a great example of the pace of some 80s movies that people would have zero patience for today.

Sonik

Top Gun

Planet of the Apes

Yeah, Top Gun is a good choice and it was only good because Cruise had control and didn't let the Hollywood morons ruin it. Planet of the Apes movies and pretty old and started before the cancer spread, the last one is 5 years old

stn

Ronin (1998) - one of my favorite movies ever. As much as I would've loved a sequel, I'm okay with no sequel since the ending was appropriate.

Toons

Yeah, Top Gun is a good choice and it was only good because Cruise had control and didn't let the Hollywood morons ruin it. Planet of the Apes movies and pretty old and started before the cancer spread, the last one is 5 years old

I dont know what "cancer" is beign referred to but if its what i think it is, people have definitely been accusing movies of featuring it for longer than 5 years

Ultimately it depends on whats well made snd who's passionate enough behind the project i think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom