• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat is now the best selling fighting franchise of all time according to Wikipedia.

TacosNSalsa

Holy shit ..this really brings into perspective how niche fighting games are . 60 mill is the highest over all the years it's been around? What does one year of COD do? That's not really a realistic comparison but still. How does it compare to more reasonable..ahem...match ups ?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Holy shit ..this really brings into perspective how niche fighting games are . 60 mill is the highest over all the years it's been around? What does one year of COD do? That's not really a realistic comparison but still. How does it compare to more reasonable..ahem...match ups ?

Modern Warfare 2019 alone sold 30 million units haha its truly an ungodly beast.

There are a few genres like that where there's only around 6-7 big sellers.

Not a fan of MK but cannot deny the effort and quality NetherRealm put into the games. I wish I liked how they played because MK X and 11 looked impressive.

NT80

Tekken doesn't have much of a ceiling. It was even more accessible than MK back in the PS2 and MK4 days which is why it exploded on the scene. One of the reasons why it was the best selling Fighting game series until MKX.
What do you mean Tekken doesn't have much of a ceiling? Compared to what? Some of the older Tekkens were considered harder games compared with Tekken 7.
Compared to almost every other 3D fighter at the time?
Not really Tekken has generally been one of the harder fighters to learn 2d or 3d. VF4 Evo was the hardest I tried to learn and Soul Calibur one of the easier ones. 3d movement was so much easier to get to grips with in Soul Calibur in comparison and it had a very simple juggle and throw system. You never had to deal with learning advanced movement skills in 2d fighters.

Vaelka

Compare the Steam charts with Tekken and Street Fighter.

https://steamcharts.com/app/389730 Tekken

https://steamcharts.com/app/976310 MK11

https://steamcharts.com/app/310950 SFV

I just find this interesting but not surprising either.
MK games sell a ton because of the casual audience, but the people that actually stick with it and play it actively is a smaller audience.
Keep in mind too that MK11 has more and better singleplayer content and is also insanely grindy and incentivizes people to log in every day for dailies etc. So I'd even say that the numbers are a bit artifically high, I'd imagine that a smaller portion of the people playing are actually playing online.

Not a fan of MK but cannot deny the effort and quality NetherRealm put into the games. I wish I liked how they played because MK X and 11 looked impressive.

This is how I feel too. I just find the games boring, they're a bit fun at first but get old real fast.
I hated the marketing of the game when Ed Boon and that art director guy was going to outlets like Polygon etc talking about how they were covering up the female characters etc, and characters like Skarlet were just extremely bizarre and didn't even make any sense lore wise ( she didn't even wear it in the story which makes it even stranger ).

But they've basically walked back on that lol.
I mean I hate that they even did that to begin with, and I am expecting them to do it again in MK12 it has become a trend. But at least it seems to mostly disingenuous and just trying to get the media off their back. I just hate that they go so '' safe '' with the first costumes on day 1 because holy fuck some of them were awful. Especially again Skarlet, just a complete disaster for a default costume.
Cassie was just a meme too with how shitty and dull her costumes were and they still are really.

Last edited:
Using Steam isn't a good example, most MK sales are on consoles by a wide margin and it has always been that way outside the first few in the arcades.

Most buy the game and play the SP, many play the MP but not as much as the SP. A lot of niche FGC fans and anime fighter fans play on PC so you aren't going to see MK beat them on Steam.

Vaelka

Using Steam isn't a good example, most MK sales are on consoles by a wide margin and it has always been that way outside the first few in the arcades.

Most buy the game and play the SP, many play the MP but not as much as the SP. A lot of niche FGC fans and anime fighter fans play on PC so you aren't going to see MK beat them on Steam.

So are most Tekken 7 and SFV sales I'd imagine.
And like I said MK11 has gacha mechanics that heavily incentivizes people to log in daily and grind.
Keep in mind too that Tekken 7 and SFV are very old games too at this point while MK11 isn't really that old in comparison.
MK also has a more established PC playerbase too.

Tekken and SFV are not niche fighting games either lol, niche fighting games on PC have very low playerbases.
I love games like Guilty Gear and Blazblue and their playerbases are really low on PC, I really want to play Fighting EX Layer too but the playebase is just too low for me to buy it on PC without crossplay.
Same with Samurai Shodown and KoF.

Most fighting games in general are bought on consoles because that's where the playerbase is, that's common knowledge.
SFV does have crossplay so it's safer, but Tekken 7 doesn't.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just bought mk11 on pc for 8 euros, it's my first mk after mk3 on snes.

The campaign is surprisingly high budget for a beat em up, i'm loving the extreme cheese except for ronda rousey doing sonya VA.

Last edited:
So are most Tekken 7 and SFV sales I'd imagine.
And like I said MK11 has gacha mechanics that heavily incentivizes people to log in daily and grind.
Keep in mind too that Tekken 7 and SFV are very old games too at this point while MK11 isn't really that old in comparison.
MK also has a more established PC playerbase too.

Tekken and SFV are not niche fighting games either lol, niche fighting games on PC have very low playerbases.
I love games like Guilty Gear and Blazblue and their playerbases are really low on PC, I really want to play Fighting EX Layer too but the playebase is just too low for me to buy it on PC without crossplay.
Same with Samurai Shodown and KoF.

Most fighting games in general are bought on consoles because that's where the playerbase is, that's common knowledge.
SFV does have crossplay so it's safer, but Tekken 7 doesn't.

This is all objectively false.

The MAJORITY of competitive Tekken and SFV players are on PC.

Because they fucked up their netcode and both games are virtually unplayable on console due to it; both play mucH much smoother on PC, so that’s where the players have ended up 4 years later.

Meanwhile MK has the opposite issue, where their PC versions are ports put together by a third party. NRS only directly develops for their console. Their PC versions almost always run like garbage, especially at launch, while their console versions run great. Therefor virtually their entire competitive community is on console and has been for a decade.

NT80

This is all objectively false.

The MAJORITY of competitive Tekken and SFV players are on PC.

Because they fucked up their netcode and both games are virtually unplayable on console due to it; both play mucH much smoother on PC, so that’s where the players have ended up 4 years later.
Are there actual figures for this? I haven't played Tekken on PC since Season 1 but from what I remember and from watching others play there were far more players on PS4. T7 online isn't unplayable on PS4. It's not as good as PC on average but it's ok most of the time. There was a patch a few months after release that improved online play for consoles (though it's still not quite as good as PC). I only had SFV on PC but I seemed to remember there being quite a few players on crossplay being from PS4.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just bought mk11 on pc for 8 euros, it's my first mk after mk3 on snes.

The campaign is surprisingly high budget for a beat em up, i'm loving the extreme cheese except for ronda rousey doing sonya VA.

She did a bad job or sure.

And she is still better than the mortal kombat 4 voice actors. Oh boy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
She did a bad job or sure.

And she is still better than the mortal kombat 4 voice actors. Oh boy.
i mean, at least she is better as a voice actress compared to when she tried to boxe

AchingNearGrison-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Is the story in x any good? Heard good things about xi?
Honestly the story/campaign is the best part of the MK games as of late, IMO. I ADORED the entire package of MK9, I thought it was phenomenal through and through. X lost me a bit, and 11 improved on those faults to a certain degree IMO. But I wish we'd get something that felt like MK9 part II, lol.

Are there actual figures for this? I haven't played Tekken on PC since Season 1 but from what I remember and from watching others play there were far more players on PS4. T7 online isn't unplayable on PS4. It's not as good as PC on average but it's ok most of the time. There was a patch a few months after release that improved online play for consoles (though it's still not quite as good as PC). I only had SFV on PC but I seemed to remember there being quite a few players on crossplay being from PS4.

I shouldn’t have said “all false” because undoubtedly the majority of sales are from console. But the competitive Fgc players 4 years later have moved on to pc since (as they were also found to have much less inherent input delay than their PS4 counter parts)

Just ask the Reddit’s for either game which version is best to compete on and where their players are, or anyone heavily invested in the Fgc.

Admittedly, Nrs players do inherently move on from their games faster than other scenes though just by merit of getting a new game every 2 years where they swap between MK and Injustice.

NT80

I shouldn’t have said “all false” because undoubtedly the majority of sales are from console. But the competitive Fgc players 4 years later have moved on to pc since (as they were also found to have much less inherent input delay than their PS4 counter parts)

Just ask the Reddit’s for either game which version is best to compete on and where their players are, or anyone heavily invested in the Fgc.

Admittedly, Nrs players do inherently move on from their games faster than other scenes though just by merit of getting a new game every 2 years where they swap between MK and Injustice.
I still think that can only give you a proportion of the players who are online and not the full picture. With Tekken's series identity being so closely tied to Playstation and needing to have a decent enough PC to play Tekken I would've thought there'd be a lot more players overall on Playstaion.

Top Bottom