• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
19 & 21 said:
I actually liked the Konquest mode in Deception. I know I'm in the minority, though. Shaolin Monks was fun too.
I wouldn't exactly say I liked Konquest, but it hooked me for some reason. I plowed through it in a couple of days and collected everything.

vatstep said:
I wouldn't exactly say I liked Konquest, but it hooked me for some reason. I plowed through it in a couple of days and collected everything.
I think it made the game feel like it was worthy of $60 or whatever it was when it came out. Konquest was janky but it had enough depth that even if you were a single player, it had a lot to offer. And if you were a beginner, konquest was a great way to learn the fighting systems in deception.

By the way, I just jumped on Armageddon for PS2, the online servers are totally still working :D. 25 people were online.

JdFoX187

Banned
I don't remember much about how Konquest played in Deception, but I remember going through the whole thing. Wouldn't mind if they put something like that into this version, but I imagine they just want to get the vs. stuff down.

TheHakku

JdFoX187 said:
I don't remember much about how Konquest played in Deception, but I remember going through the whole thing. Wouldn't mind if they put something like that into this version, but I imagine they just want to get the vs. stuff down.
They are working on the versus aspect, of course. Definitely the main draw to the game. However, there will be a story mode. Whether it will be like Konquest mode is yet to be determined. I probably wouldn't mind it, but I doubt it'll be quite like that. From what I have gathered, all that's known so far is that the story will be longer than the MK and DCU storylines combined in the previous game.

TheFallen

JdFoX187 said:
I'm trying to find Mortal Kombat Conquest somewhere legitimately. Did it never get released on DVD stateside?
Oh, the TV series. That's not a movie. And no, it wasn't released in the US.

fernoca

PARANO1A said:
I rewatched the three MK movies in anticipation of this game. So, so bad.
  1. Mortal Kombat (1995)
  2. Mortal Kombat Annihilation (1997)
  3. ???
The Journey Begins? Was an animated movie-prequel to the first movie; served more to release a making of of the first movie..than a movie per se.

TheHakku

I should be doing hw said:
Is MK vs DC really bad? I'm kind of interested by it and could probably pick it up on the cheap big time.
If you understand what game ratings (age) mean, it's a decent game.

DMczaf said:
My sources tell me the MK4 ending cinematics redone with the new engine will be a pre-order bonus at Gamestop

LOL. That doesn't even make sense. A bunch of those characters likely won't be in this game. Plus those were the worst and cheesiest endings of the whole series. Really bad.

Anyanka

SapientWolf said:
I never really understood the MK4 hate.

Lame new characters, with the exception of Quan Chi. A bunch of them felt or looked like replacements(because they were!).

Only 15 characters(plus Noob and Goro at home) coming off UMK3 and Trilogy.

Everyone has the same normals. Before everyone had a roundhouse but not the same roundhouse. The hitboxes were totally different. Tons of animation sharing in MK4. People always say everyone is the same in MK except the special moves and it's not really true, except in MK4 it is.

MK vs. DC Universe is the best since UMK3. It's a prototype for this game.

Yousefb

yeah MK vs DC is a lot of fun, sure it's missing the trademark MK blood and gore, but it's definitely worth trying at least

JdFoX187

Banned
TheHakku said:
They are working on the versus aspect, of course. Definitely the main draw to the game. However, there will be a story mode. Whether it will be like Konquest mode is yet to be determined. I probably wouldn't mind it, but I doubt it'll be quite like that. From what I have gathered, all that's known so far is that the story will be longer than the MK and DCU storylines combined in the previous game.
That's cool. I thought they did a pretty good job with the storyline in MK vs. DC, especially for a fighter game.

TheFallen said:
Oh, the TV series. That's not a movie. And no, it wasn't released in the US.
Yeah, I know it's a TV show. There were only two movies since the third one never got off the ground due to Katrina and god knows what else. But I always have a soft spot in my heart for the TV series. Used to love watching it at the end of Monday Nitro each week.

I should be doing hw said:
Is MK vs DC really bad? I'm kind of interested by it and could probably pick it up on the cheap big time.
I'd pick up Deception or Shaolin Monks instead. MK vs DC isn't bad but its pretty gimmicky and adds nothing to the MK lore and feels sparse.

Anyanka said:
Lame new characters, with the exception of Quan Chi. A bunch of them felt or looked like replacements(because they were!).

I'll agree that Quan Chi was probably the best thing to come out of MK4. So good that Jaffe copied him for his own game :lol

PARANO1A

fernoca said:
  1. Mortal Kombat (1995)
  2. Mortal Kombat Annihilation (1997)
  3. ???
The Journey Begins? Was an animated movie-prequel to the first movie; served more to release a making of of the first movie..than a movie per se.
Conquest was also a movie which wasn't too good. On the plus side it did have Scorpion and Kung Lao.

Stitch

Gold Member
Conquest was a TV Series. But they put some episodes together and released them on DVD as movies...

Foil

vatstep said:

Why I played through Deception's Konquest mode I'll never know. Terrible gameplay, voice work, visuals, animation, dialogue, etc. Yet I still found something about it addicting... Maybe I just like collecting stuff, maybe it was the MK world, I don't know. :lol

Anyanka said:

I still think Quan Chi and to a lesser extent Reiko were solid new characters. Although I really don't like the design changes they made to them in MKDA/MKA. The rest of the new cast in MK4 were pretty forgettable to downright terrible.

I wouldn't mind seeing Quan Chi and Reiko (MK4 based designs) in this new game as DLC, since I doubt they'd be considered for any of the main roster spots. I'd certainly put somebody like Quan Chi in over Sheeva or Jeff's favorite character.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Hey guys, I decided to add the hated/loved "Techno Syndrome" song into the MK trailer not long ago, then my cousin decided it was a good material to upload in the fighting game site we are running.

Here is the link so you guys can see the video, don't know if we can link the video because we uploaded it to our servers:

http://www.imnextonline.com/2010/06/exclusive-how-it-should-have-been/

Hope you guys enjoy it.

EDIT: On youtube now if you don't want to click on the site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3gONIAtxrw

-DarKaoZ- said:
Hey guys, I decided to add the hated/loved "Techno Syndrome" song into the MK trailer not long ago, then my cousin decided it was a good material to upload in the fighting game site we are running.

Here is the link so you guys can see the video, don't know if we can link the video because we uploaded it to our servers:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Badass. This game needs it, then it would be truly complete.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
-DarKaoZ- said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Very nice :lol

I've always loved that music.

TreIII

That song IS Mortal Kombat. For Boon and them NOT to use this in a trailer showcasing MK's "return to form" is beyond me, but it's not to late to change up! :lol

AAK

-DarKaoZ- said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Holy crap, I know remember your name. You're the guy that made the impossibly good DMC3 AMV!

You have insane skills dude. Keep it up!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
AAK said:
Holy crap, I know remember your name. You're the guy that made the impossibly good DMC3 AMV!

You have insane skills dude. Keep it up!

Oh snap, people still remember my DMC3 music video? Wow, that is quite nice to see. Thanks, I haven't done any music videos or edits lately, this one was for fun and was fast, nothing as complex as DMC3 music video.

Glad you guys are enjoying it, hopefully I might do more in the future if I see it as a good idea. Thanks again for the feedback. :D

Replicant

-DarKaoZ- said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Boon should have paid up for license to use the song in the game. It'd be perfect for the final boss and the opening movie.

AAK

I think the song is in the game... it was being played towards the end of the gamespot demonstration, or was that just some GS editing?

fernoca

Don't blame the team.. :p
If the publisher doesn't want to pay the licences and stuff, there's not much they can do.....same way John Tobias has no say or relation with the franchise..neither does Ed Boon..he just makes teh game; he doesn't own them....not yet..at least. :p

A new version of the song was planned for the new movie..but that fell on limbo with Threshold's plan..of a third movie. They know there's a lot of interest in the song and a lot of nostalgia involved with it..so; who knows...

By the way, nice video -DarKaoZ-. ;)

Anyway; Conquest was a TV series; not a movie. The series only lasted 1 season; because thet studio wanted to focus on the third MK movie..which never materialized. It was released on DVD everyplace..but on the US.

EDIT:
I really liked this video...making fun on the way the "tournament" is organized. :lol

Mindlog

-DarKaoZ- said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Nostalgia overload.

Tip eht fo Mottob!

Carnby

i liked the MK song when i was 11 years old. Now when I hear it, I imagine the L.A. Lakers being introduced as the home team. translation: its dated and sounds like sports music.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
jaekwon15 said:
i liked the MK song when i was 11 years old. Now when I hear it, I imagine the L.A. Lakers being introduced as the home team. translation: its dated and sounds like sports music.
Yeah, bloodsports.

This may have been pointed out but
28ck30n.jpg

that's 26
If you look here you can see that 36 were in the first trilogy
http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/games/mkt/

So maybe 10 dlc characters? Boon saying some characters may end up cyber ninja makes me think we'll see Scorpion and Sub-Zero robots to go along with the normal versions.

robut said:
This may have been pointed out but
28ck30n.jpg

that's 26
If you look here you can see that 36 were in the first trilogy
http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/games/mkt/

So maybe 10 dlc characters? Boon saying some characters may end up cyber ninja makes me think we'll see Scorpion and Sub-Zero robots to go along with the normal versions.
2 of the characters in Trilogy are the same character (Cyborg Smoke/Human Smoke, Masked Sub-Zero/Noob Saibot) 4 are bosses, and 4 of those characters weren't really separate characters, just alternate versions.

So that leaves 26 normal characters. There were 25 unique characters from MK1 to UMK3 and Rain was added in MKT. You can expect the roster to consist mainly of those 26 characters.

Blablurn

-DarKaoZ- said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

WIN!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Wow, my trailer is now a FEATURED USER MOVIE in Gametrailers?

And this is the less elaborated video edit I have done in years. :lol

Still its nice to see it featured. lol

The Hermit

-DarKaoZ- said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Everytime I heard this music I remember why MK is the best movie from a videogame franchise.

fernoca said:
I really liked this video...making fun on the way the "tournament" is organized. :lol

:lol :lol
That's friggin hillarious!

Not to be nitpicky, but why can't the masks and costumes for Scorpion and Sub Zero be simply cloth? I hate all these cybernetic fleshy things. It's bad design.

Erebus

-DarKaoZ- said:

Hope you guys enjoy it.

EXCELLENT!

I just picked up the EGM "komeback" issue with MK on the cover. Inside it confirms that Sub-Zero is the original one (who is killed by Scorpion and returns as Noob Saibot). Also in the Reptile/Sektor pic which may or may not be in the church, Rain is definitely in the background in his MK Deception costume and someone who kinda looks like Shinnok but not quite is also in the background.

Does that mean Rain isn't in? :( I won some money as a kid by abusing an infinite (in trilogy) with him during a charity tournament at school. For that reason alone he's the character I'm most fond of.

SuperSugar

Neo Member
I remember playing Mortal Kombat 1 for hours in the arcade! Then obsessing over MK2 in game magazines! When part two came out my brother and I would play for hours and hours! I'm looking forward to this. Still, I wish they would use real actors. I would love to see that kind of effect with this generations powerful hardware.

Darr said:
I remember playing Mortal Kombat 1 for hours in the arcade! Then obsessing over MK2 in game magazines! When part two came out my brother and I would play for hours and hours! I'm looking forward to this. Still, I wish they would use real actors. I would love to see that kind of effect with this generations powerful hardware.
This. Sounds exactly like me except I was an only child. :lol

I still have the old EGM with MK2 on the cover.

Top Bottom