• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moonfall (Film by Roland Emmerich)

Aggelos

Is this going to be one of those things that simultaneously releases on streaming services?

Lionsgate movies doesn't seem to be following the business model of simultaneous releases on a streaming service/platform.

Fbh

This looks to be in the "so-stupid-it's-good" territory so I'm all in baby!

This.
I have weak spot for dumb fun disaster/alien invasion movies.

Love stuff like San Andreas, 2012, Battleship, etc. Even the new independence Day was ok IMO

Alcibiades

Was hoping to catch it in IMAX but the AMC and Regal in Austin with those screens were closed due to the winter storm. I was able to catch it at a Cinemark in a regular screen.

It was entertaining but dumb of course. I was laughing at the ridiculousness of most of it. It's a heck of a lot more improbable than even something like The Day After Tomorrow (which I love).

Watched it in IMAX. It's basically Roland's second try at Independence Day: Resurgence. Very similar story and character beats, but with a better handling of tone and pacing.
I love his brand of feel-good, uplifting stories mixed with comfy dread. Can't beat those grey rainy scenes filled with anticipation of the destruction to come.
I didn't stay for the credits (the song was a banger though) but I'm sure it's the same ID:R team behind the visuals and design. It even repeats the dark sphere motif (ID:R opening vs the swarm around the white dwarf).

Pagusas

Elden Member
Watched it in IMAX. It's basically Roland's second try at Independence Day: Resurgence. Very similar story and character beats, but with a better handling of tone and pacing.
I love his brand of feel-good, uplifting stories mixed with comfy dread. Can't beat those grey rainy scenes filled with anticipation of the destruction to come.
I didn't stay for the credits (the song was a banger though) but I'm sure it's the same ID:R team behind the visuals and design. It even repeats the dark sphere motif (ID:R opening vs the swarm around the white dwarf).
Ouch.. that makes me not want to see it. ID:R did not have a single redeemable factor, so anything even remotely like it would leave me cringing.

badblue

I want to see this and it's not even playing in Canada?
Moonfall is not opening at any Canadian theatre this weekend. Nor will it be available on-demand. Moonfall is simply bypassing Canadian audiences entirely. And with a US$140-million production budget and huge launch across U.S. screens, it is the biggest release to ever do so.

Last edited:

Aggelos

To be honest, it is one of the most expensive independent films to date. So that's thumbs down for not distributing the film in Canada, such a shame.
An independent film, so costly to make, should open all around the globe.

"In May 2019, Roland Emmerich was announced to be writing and directing the film. With a $138–146 million budget (including $40 million from Huayi Brothers, $15 million from Lionsgate, and $15 million from Germany), it is one of the most expensive independent films ever produced."

"Despite having been advertised in 2021, the film's theatrical release in Canada was canceled because the local distributor, Mongrel Media, found it too risky to go forward with the release and spend the amount of money required on advertising when it was uncertain whether theaters in Ontario and Quebec, which account for a majority of films' sales in the country and were shut down due to the pandemic, would be open in time."

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

This looks to be in the "so-stupid-it's-good" territory so I'm all in baby!
Pretty much all of Emerich’s films fall into this category but I love them all the same since he’s consistently dedicated to doing original stories not franchises. I want to say only Independence Day got a sequel and only then because a shitload of Chinese investors/production companies willed it into existence: fucking inner Mongolian milk bags, Chinese actors and Chinese product placement are ridiculous in that film.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Pretty much all of Emerich’s films fall into this category but I love them all the same since he’s consistently dedicated to doing original stories not franchises. I want to say only Independence Day got a sequel and only then because a shitload of Chinese investors/production companies willed it into existence: fucking inner Mongolian milk bags, Chinese actors and Chinese product placement are ridiculous in that film.
It's really odd in this movie. You could make a drinking game out of how many times "Our Chinese friends" is used in this movie.

Romulus

The moon is crashing into earth? Do they explain what is causing this to happen and does it seem plausible l?

Mr Hyde

Saw it Sunday evening. It was entertaining, one of Emmerich better movies, after disappointing 2012 and ID4 resurgence. The destruction scenes were good and satisfying and the explanation for the fall of the Moon is batshit insane and was a total wtf moment, albeit in a good way. Moonfall definitely falls into the "so stupid it's good" - category.

Last edited:

Aggelos

The release will be available for purchase on April 25.

tEVEGFG.jpg

Aggelos

Guys, when Michael Bay's Transformers Last Knight came out Mike Ryan of Uproxx wrote "I have no proof Transformers: The Last Knight will kill your brain cells, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it does and I'd proceed with caution just in case. But I can say with absolute certainty that after watching, your head will hurt."

But Emmerich's Moonfall is on another level. It will definitely kill your brain cells. It has excessively harebrained writing, it's thinly-plotted, ludicrously imbecilic, cacophonous, unadventurous, there's some oddly and bizarrely lifeless acting, the performances are kinda reminiscent of Tommy Wiseau's The Room, everything is like a preposterous screwball. And then, after all that, there's some disaster film elements going on, with a couple of catastrophe scenes here and there. I wouldn't be surprised if Emmerich doesn't get to make any sequels for it.

"With a $138–146 million budget (including $40 million from Huayi Brothers, $15 million from Lionsgate, and $15 million from Germany) it is one of the most expensive independent films ever produced. It grossed only $41.2 million, making it a box-office bomb, and received mixed-to-negative reviews."

It just opened in China, though.

Last edited:
I've watched it. Very disappointed. The CGI was horrible wtf. And the story...ye well no point in talking about that lol. How the fuck is an AI represented as a swarm lol.

ClosBSAS

Watched it last night ..first half was great, second not so much..it was fun. The back and forth between the three stories was annoying as fuck.

ShadowNate

It was utterly stupid. The script, the characters, the theory, the failure to broaden the picture away from the really small subset of people affected.

Fun though at times. Compared to other stupid films (I'm looking at you Army of the Dead), this one kept me to the end.

And absolutely forgettable. It better be.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Watched this on Sunday, and man I was not prepared for so much idiocy in such a short time. At one point I turned to my wife and just said "Incredible" and didn't mean it in a good way.

So Ok the moon crashing into the earth, that's cool. But then it's a megastructure which gets poorly explained. Then the Lost monster is made of nanomachines and it's attacking the megastructure?

Turns out sometimes less *is* more. It was also very formulaic and badly written, whihc is maybe even worse than the inane plot.

MachRc

Atleast Halle Berry still looked good.

Didn't understand the point of Pena. Could have used him up there instead of down there at the Lexus Dealership.

Saw this in IMAX last week.

It was incredibly stupid, but man I had a great time. Some of the shots and visual effects were amazing, the twist about the moon was super fun and I just all around dug the third act.

Just a really dumb, fun, popcorn movie, and sometimes that just what I need.

Alcibiades

It was incredibly stupid, but man I had a great time. Some of the shots and visual effects were amazing, the twist about the moon was super fun and I just all around dug the third act.

Just a really dumb, fun, popcorn movie, and sometimes that just what I need.
Yup this is one of those Day After Tomorrow style ridiculous movies that goes even more over the top. My main gripe is not enough destruction scenes I guess bit overall very fun and hilarious.

sol_bad

I haven't had a chance to see this film yet, not out in the Philippines unfortunately.
But this is further proof that sci-fi movies are sent to the graveyard unless it's tied to a known IP.
Sci-fi fans never support sci-fi.
bleurgh

Some of the shots and visual effects were amazing

The giant moon in IMAX was awe-inspiring.

I haven't had a chance to see this film yet, not out in the Philippines unfortunately.
But this is further proof that sci-fi movies are sent to the graveyard unless it's tied to a known IP.
Sci-fi fans never support sci-fi.
bleurgh

It just opened in China and it's overperforming but half the screens are being closed due to new lockdowns. Hopefully Roland can use that as an excuse and get funding for a new disaster movie.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is ti going to be on Blu-ray in 3D? I would like to watch it on my Quest 2. I generally can stomach bad movies in this way.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This movie was ass. Greenland is a much better disaster movie although not without its flaws like the usual disaster movie tropes. The middle act is pretty awesome though, a few very powerful scenes that almost feel out of place with the rest of the film. Would've been great if that tone was used throughout the entire film but I digress. Watch it if you haven't and skip Moonfall, save yourself a few hours of your life.

QSD

I watched this yesterday and was thoroughly entertained.

The scene where they launch the space shuttle out of a giant tsunami was the most metal thing I've seen in a while.

I did feel some discomfort at the usual Emmerich 'the crank was right!' redemption arc when thinking about modern conspiracism (anti vaxxing etc)

This movie was so incredibly stupid, unfortunately it wasn't stupid enough to make it fun again.
The only good thing about it is that I finally learned the correct lyrics to Toto's Africa.

Avoid.

Last edited:
okay I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would, for one simple reason (major plot spoilers below):

hollow moon theory is like one of my favorite conspiracy theories. yes, of course it is batshit crazy and totally ridiculous, but I've read some pretty entertaining books on the subject. Mysterious Universe, my fav podcast, has also covered it.

never would imagine we would get a big budget blockbuster film on this insane niche conspiracy theory.

for the unaware, Vasin-Shcherbakov proposed this theory back in the 70s.

Spaceship_moon.jpg

special effects were pretty decent too. overall not a good movie but I managed to enjoy it simply because I got to see one of the wackiest conspiracy theories out there on the big screen. had no idea this was the plot of the film going into it

Last edited:
Saw the movie. Like it a lot, it has its downs but it is was really nice. I made a game "kind of cosmic horror" and a similar part of the theme of this movie.

Rockondevil

I love a dumb world ending movie and this didn't let me down. In fact this is probably the only world ending movie that i need more of.

Praying for Moonfall 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom