• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Minute Papers: Ray Tracing: How NVIDIA Solved the Impossible!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In 3D computer graphics, ray tracing is a technique for modeling light transport for use in a wide variety of rendering algorithms for generating digital images.

On a spectrum of computational cost and visual fidelity, ray tracing-based rendering techniques, such as ray casting, recursive ray tracing, distribution ray tracing, photon mapping and path tracing, are generally slower and higher fidelity than scanline rendering methods.[1] Thus, ray tracing was first deployed in applications where taking a relatively long time to render could be tolerated, such as in still computer-generated images, and film and television visual effects (VFX), but was less suited to real-time applications such as video games, where speed is critical in rendering each frame.[2]

Since 2018, however, hardware acceleration for real-time ray tracing has become standard on new commercial graphics cards, and graphics APIs have followed suit, allowing developers to use hybrid ray tracing and rasterization-based rendering in games and other real-time applications with a lesser hit to frame render times.

Ray tracing is capable of simulating a variety of optical effects,[3] such as reflection, refraction, soft shadows, scattering, depth of field, motion blur, caustics, ambient occlusion and dispersion phenomena (such as chromatic aberration). It can also be used to trace the path of sound waves in a similar fashion to light waves, making it a viable option for more immersive sound design in video games by rendering realistic reverberation and echoes.[4] In fact, any physical wave or particle phenomenon with approximately linear motion can be simulated with ray tracing.

Ray tracing-based rendering techniques that involve sampling light over a domain generate image noise artifacts that can be addressed by tracing a very large number of rays or using denoising techniques.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
>creates a channel to boil down papers into a digestible size
>releases the kojima cut

take the cape off. they don't know you exist.
Weird insult... doesn't really apply here. Couldn't wait to be so clever somewhere? I don't know, maybe not... I mean, what would give the impression you're the impatient type.

realcool

Weird insult... doesn't really apply here. Couldn't wait to be so clever somewhere? I don't know, maybe not... I mean, what would give the impression you're the impatient type.
it was simply an innocuous observation that triggered usernames ending in 1.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That was a pretty weird video. It just says "Nvidia came up with some cool algorithms" without really explaining any of it.

Buggy Loop

Pretty sure this guy made an AI algorithm to talk for him in the videos. I refuse to believe any humans would have that speech pattern.

hlm666

The tensor cores were originally marketed as being useful for denoising but never seems to have been used. With nvidia bumping tensor performance again in ada I wonder if this might eventually be another use for them.

Neilg

Pretty sure this guy made an AI algorithm to talk for him in the videos. I refuse to believe any humans would have that speech pattern.
From the very first one I saw I imagined he has to make them at night and is trying to not wake his family up.

I know a few people who develop rendering software and none of them can stand this guy. He's pure clickbait and massively downplays how complex some of it is to implement and just results in people getting expectations too high. In the world of rendering tech, every piece of softwares feature request section is now spammed with videos he's done by people that haven't read and wouldn't understand the original paper.

sinnergy

De-noising was always a think with Ray-tracing , used it for more than 10 years, only thing they solved is specific hardware for that task.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Always saw this guy's videos as innocuous and entertaining compared to most things on the internets. But here we are, ad hominem is by some the preferred hot take against a neutral video and fairly dry topic regarding denoising of RT.. I praise the fact that I'll never understand the attitude of some of you guys.

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
Woah, look at the brain on this guy.
Hit The Woah Freaking Out GIF

Buggy Loop

From the very first one I saw I imagined he has to make them at night and is trying to not wake his family up.

I know a few people who develop rendering software and none of them can stand this guy. He's pure clickbait and massively downplays how complex some of it is to implement and just results in people getting expectations too high. In the world of rendering tech, every piece of softwares feature request section is now spammed with videos he's done by people that haven't read and wouldn't understand the original paper.

Yea, how he tells his audience, which is probably composed of random normal peoples that were curious that they are « fellow scholars », and all the « hold on your papers »…

It’s a clickbaiter

Melon Husk

Not impossible. Mimicking nature.
Yea, how he tells his audience, which is probably composed of random normal peoples that were curious that they are « fellow scholars », and all the « hold on your papers »…

It’s a clickbaiter
This is an ad. It's a good channel. Both are true.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Top Bottom