• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne |OT| ICE, ICE BABY

Hinedorf

Banned
So I love the new world, I love the new monsters but man it's pretty painfully slow on the killing. I'm not sure if it's a weapon upgrade that's required or what but I beat on a Barioth the total freaking 60 minutes and just had time run out on me with a fire longsword, at this point I almost don't even want to try again after beating the hell out of it for so long.

Every fight up to Barioth has felt like I'm totally dominating a fight that's just taking WAY TOO LONG. I'm not sure if this is to force into grouping which does make it easier but single player just doesn't seem to have the dps

Rexenexus

Neo Member
So I love the new world, I love the new monsters but man it's pretty painfully slow on the killing. I'm not sure if it's a weapon upgrade that's required or what but I beat on a Barioth the total freaking 60 minutes and just had time run out on me with a fire longsword, at this point I almost don't even want to try again after beating the hell out of it for so long.

Every fight up to Barioth has felt like I'm totally dominating a fight that's just taking WAY TOO LONG. I'm not sure if this is to force into grouping which does make it easier but single player just doesn't seem to have the dps
G rank has always had dramatically increased HP monsters, but it seems like they realized how broken weapon damage could get in High Rank so they slowed down the damage progression super hard and it just feels like it's taking longer. I personally find it refreshing since now every hunt doesn't end in less than 10 minutes like it did the entire base game, now you actually have to work for your quest clear, at least for now. The damage will probably be broken in G rank just like it was in HR but guess we'll see.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

And the longer they are, the more chances to fuck up.

I carted 3 times against narga.... the fucker wouldn't just die.

I got my PS4 master edition copy yesterday. manage to play a little today and progress into the new zone. it's still as fun as I remember and it's an awesome experience. really looking forward to advancing into all the new stuff.

that said, I per-order this on Amazon, and even thou I got my copy, I did not get the per-order bonus Yukumo layered armor set. so I call Amazon today and they gave me a code. but after I used it, I found that I still don't have the Yukumo set. I do however got a Guardian+ armor set (not layered). called Amazon again and got the solution to return my current copy and have them send me another one with the Yukumo code. kinda annoyed but since I'm not in THAT much of a hurry to beat the game right now, I think I might go with that.

edit: it looks like they already place an order of it for me before I even send the original back. so at least that's good. probably sending the one I have back to them on Tuesday after I get the replacement.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The bat is dead! Rejoice.

Having some troubles with Glavenus tho... Wondering if I should make some master rank gear...

Dontero

Banned
Managed today to run MHW in VR on my PSVR on PC thanks to VorpX. I can't wait to sink 100s of hours in Iceborne when it will hit PC.

3D effect on 3DS games has nothing on what i have now :D Anjanath is fucking mountain of a beast.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Glavenus is just Charizard with a sword.

Game is good though for real. Can't believe people have waited a year for this only to rush through it in a weekend.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
G rank has always had dramatically increased HP monsters, but it seems like they realized how broken weapon damage could get in High Rank so they slowed down the damage progression super hard and it just feels like it's taking longer. I personally find it refreshing since now every hunt doesn't end in less than 10 minutes like it did the entire base game, now you actually have to work for your quest clear, at least for now. The damage will probably be broken in G rank just like it was in HR but guess we'll see.
This makes me happy to hear. IMO, G rank monsters are supposed to be pretty hard until you acquired the best of the best weapons/armor to take the edge off. With all the new abilities and features, MHW was much easier to get to end-game content than in previous games.

Lanrutcon

This makes me happy to hear. IMO, G rank monsters are supposed to be pretty hard until you acquired the best of the best weapons/armor to take the edge off. With all the new abilities and features, MHW was much easier to get to end-game content than in previous games.

Nah. G Rank stays a bitch. The difference between shit armor and the best armor in the game was literally an extra hit, and with some attacks not even that.

And don't get me started on the HP bloat.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nah. G Rank stays a bitch. The difference between shit armor and the best armor in the game was literally an extra hit, and with some attacks not even that.

And don't get me started on the HP bloat.
Armor in G-rank hasn't been about survivability since at least Freedom 2. Armor at that tier is about the skills it confers (and the open slots to add your own skills).

Lanrutcon

Armor in G-rank hasn't been about survivability since at least Freedom 2. Armor at that tier is about the skills it confers (and the open slots to add your own skills).

That always pissed me off. It's like your health becomes binary at some point, which wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a shitton more boss health to chip through. I did not find G Rank fun, at least after the initial kills.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That always pissed me off. It's like your health becomes binary at some point, which wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a shitton more boss health to chip through. I did not find G Rank fun, at least after the initial kills.
Yeah it's kind of telling that the Palico skills / armor skills that allow you to survive a one-hit kill become a standard requirement in lots of end-game builds (I forget what the skill is called).

Then again, you can always avoid getting hit entirely.... I'll give Monster Hunter credit in that it never "breaks" itself by offering armor or weapons that are too strong. G rank stuff is supposed to remain challenging for the whole group.

Lanrutcon

Yeah it's kind of telling that the Palico skills / armor skills that allow you to survive a one-hit kill become a standard requirement in lots of end-game builds (I forget what the skill is called).

Then again, you can always avoid getting hit entirely.... I'll give Monster Hunter credit in that it never "breaks" itself by offering armor or weapons that are too strong. G rank stuff is supposed to remain challenging for the whole group.

What generally happened (in my experience) was that people would kill a thing once in G Rank, then never do that again: rather kill the thing in a G Rank multi-monster quest because the HP was scaled down. G Rank monsters in 4 monster arenas took like, 1/4th of the time to kill, and the monsters bashing each other made it even quicker.

God I miss my Kelbi bow. Does MHW have a decent Blast bow even?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What generally happened (in my experience) was that people would kill a thing once in G Rank, then never do that again: rather kill the thing in a G Rank multi-monster quest because the HP was scaled down. G Rank monsters in 4 monster arenas took like, 1/4th of the time to kill, and the monsters bashing each other made it even quicker.

Yeah Taroth Arrow "Blast" Bow

TacosNSalsa

These monsters now go down faster than my date this weekend after I told her I had some Henny and a PlanB...is that intentional ?

Rexenexus

Neo Member

Wasn't the Kelbi bow beyond broken and trivialized the entire game?
and I'm having fun with the Brachy bow

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I might finally give Gunlance its due, plus Lance and LBG on the side. Mostly played with Hammer and HH in vanilla MHW and I want to shake things up. There's a new skill called 'Offensive Guard' that seems rather overpowered:

Offensive Guard is increased in level based on the amount of Equipment with this skill the hunter is using. Each level works as follows:
Level 1: While active increases attack power by 5%
Level 2: While active increases attack power by 10%
Level 3: While active increases attack power by 15%

Pair that with a high attrition weapon like Lance and woah baby. Gunlance's sharp damage spikes would also benefit from a raw 15% increase.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Opinions on Exhaust element weapons in MHW?

The longstanding MH meta seems to be "apply as many stuns, staggers, mounts, and debilitations on the monster as you can" and Exhaust was a really fun way of doing that in 4U and Generations, whether that was with Hunting Horns or with Exhaust phial Switch Axes (like the molten tigrex stuff).

And now Exhaust phial is even more powerful because it does reliable KO damage in addition to Exhaust.

Manus

So just came back to the game after not playing for a year. My hunter rank is only level 14. Once I finish off these kill three titan quests will I have a high enough rank to start Iceborne?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

CAPSOL

After 200 hours i felt i had my fill of MHW, seems I was wrong, this looks too good to not jump in again

I felt like like this after 1200 hrs of play. Now that Iceborne has its claws in me, I can easily see playing for 500-100hrs more lol

Thanks for killing my social life Capcom ;)

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Up to the new Anjanath, me and my squad have been going through it slowly and getting whatever new weapons we wanna try. It's been good.

Mondai

I'm trying to solo him at least once out of stupid pride but it's one hell of a tough fight if you're lancing... can't block his ranged attacks.
hehe , I just use LBG on him , no way I want to get close to him , luckily most of his attacks are easy to dodge.

I failed on Shara Ishvalda like 6 times until I finally got him.

But today I beat him using just 1 potion!

I guess once you understand his move set, he is quite predictable. He can hardly touch me now. I was using great sword btw.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know. I'm thinking of making a blast/partbreaker set to speed up the first part. It's getting frustrating to go through the first phase.

I'm just hooked on the Lance's win button and it's being denied to me.

Pejo

Managed today to run MHW in VR on my PSVR on PC thanks to VorpX. I can't wait to sink 100s of hours in Iceborne when it will hit PC.

3D effect on 3DS games has nothing on what i have now :D Anjanath is fucking mountain of a beast.
Do you have a guide that you used to accomplish this?

Manus

What weapons are you all using? I mainly use Insect Glaive, but I'm wanting to try out some other ones.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What weapons are you all using? I mainly use Insect Glaive, but I'm wanting to try out some other ones.

I main lance in mhw. Also use long sword and bow on occasion.

Lance is awesome (unless you're fighting the iceborne boss). The lance is all about maintaining a 100% uptime on your offensive by using the tools at your disposal to not take damage.

Coconutt

Charge Blade baby, has everything I want, shield, high dps, decent mobility. Nothing is more satisfying than getting your SAED lined up properly on the monster.

Manus

Charge Blade baby, has everything I want, shield, high dps, decent mobility. Nothing is more satisfying than getting your SAED lined up properly on the monster.

Is that Charge Blade hard to use? I always see people say it's the hardest to pick up.

All the weapons in this feel so much fun to pick up and play. What system are you guys all playing on? I need to add more people.

Lanrutcon

So does Iceborne like, invalidate all our old gear? I've recently started MHW on PC and I'm my HR is in the 50s. Wondering if all the work I'm putting into my weapons is for nothing.

Rexenexus

Neo Member
So does Iceborne like, invalidate all our old gear? I've recently started MHW on PC and I'm my HR is in the 50s. Wondering if all the work I'm putting into my weapons is for nothing.
It's exactly like the old games going from high to G rank and exactly like going from low rank to high rank in World. You can lookup what trees you wanna invest in so you can upgrade to G rank weapons immediately but armor is gonna be completely thrown in the trash defense wise the second you get to make your first bone armor.

Pretty much, I had maxed out Behemoth armor and it lasted for rank 1 quests of Iceborne then it was worthless. Weapons hold up slightly better letting your prioritize getting new armor first, but you'll still want them replaced asap.

Lanrutcon

Pretty much, I had maxed out Behemoth armor and it lasted for rank 1 quests of Iceborne then it was worthless. Weapons hold up slightly better letting your prioritize getting new armor first, but you'll still want them replaced asap.

Should I bother with Taroth at all? Doesn't look like the Taroth bows upgrade into anything.

Coconutt

Is that Charge Blade hard to use? I always see people say it's the hardest to pick up.

All the weapons in this feel so much fun to pick up and play. What system are you guys all playing on? I need to add more people.

Charge blade is one of the harder weapons to use, not as hard as hunting horn but it's up there, once you figure out how to charge your phial and power up your shield, recommend watching Arekkz tutorial on it.

this is a PSA for the "final boss" of Iceborne

please do not use rocksteady mantle when fighting it's 2nd form.

this concludes the PSA for the "final boss"

Last edited:
Top Bottom