• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch March 26, 2021

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well, Katana and dual blades and the bug staff will benefit a lot from all the new mobility I'm sure. And it looks like there's a whip weapon now?
I think the whip move was unique to the sword and shield. Hard to say because they indicated that the whip will enable "new moves" for each weapon, which is consistent with how these things generally go.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Any weapon classes standing out to people, based on the footage? I'm always torn between picking up my old faithfuls (lance, hammer, LBG) and trying out the new hotness.
I say this game has some shinobi weapons..
rKdXf3c.png

main-qimg-f1151dade5293b634b52634b1710dc9f.webp

Alexios

Banned
Looks good even if it's not the A team. Kinda more traditional in ways, also all in on the anime from Generations, also expanding some of what was cool in World. Fidelity looks good, some frame drops and obvious pop in here and there. Makes you think World port was doable when it mattered.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I wish I dug the Monster Hunter series. :(

I'm stoked for fans! :D

It does look pretty cool. I've loved seeing this series improve across the board since it's original release on PS2. I never would've imagined it would've gained such popularity.

Last edited:

Alexios

Banned
Are zones segmented again? That's the only information I need to know. If it's segmented then I want no part of it.
How about watching the videos. It's said pretty expressly. Timestamp.

Lol @ the nooblet decrying casuals when he got in the series with the most casual entry of all. Put MH on the map says the other ignoramus, like it wasn't Capcom's bread and butter for a decade prior just because he was too dense for it before the casualization.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yeah totally! Aside from Nintendo´s lack of first-party new games, it has a really good library, specially for indies which play like a charm on handheld mode.
Nintendo were definetly affected/absent this year but news should be on for 2021,i think they will come back with lots of first party surprises

At least they are not Microsoft 🤭

R6Rider

Gold Member
Those areas are going to look super rough coming from World. That pop in is jarring.

Setting looks cool, and some of the new monsters look fun.

Last edited:
Nintendo were definetly affected/absent this year but news should be on for 2021,i think they will come back with lots of first party surprises

At least they are not Microsoft 🤭
Agree, it's time for some first-party news, at least regarding Metroid and BOTW2.
But hey! I have SMT V comign next year, that's enough for me.

And yeah... poor microlads. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sooo... after re-watching that direct (thanks for the link Alexios Alexios ) I can tell there's gonna be an even greater emphasis on pushing the risk / reward via speed and acrobatics, which is fine by me. Previous MH games generously reward mounts, knockdowns, counter-stuns, etc in quick succession, and the combat system appears to orbit this exact playstyle.

In other words, if you (solo) or your full crew enjoy the lockdown-style of hunting, where you each keep the monster trapped, stunned, flashed, mounted, etc during most of the fight then I'm going out on a limb that this game is aimed at you.

The careful, ponderous MH playstyle remains for those that choose to use it, as it always does, but they are giving high level players more tools to cruise through missions and speedrun stuff, which will be welcome since this is my... 8th Monster Hunter game.

Of course I'm just spitballing. We only have 15m of footage. The combat won't really show its nuance until people put their hands on it and begin seeing how each of the weapon classes can be exploited / broken. It'll be fun to sink my teeth in. The map traversal is going to be something special. I bet they will tuck mining points, fossils, herbs, and other gathering-points in devious little spots that are not visible from the ground.

Alexios

Banned
Just hope the maps are better designed than World and resemble older games more, replacing the loading sections with things like the slides and using the bug to climb over ridges or whatever other shortcuts, it's not an exploration game (even if they're fun to explore the first few timers) when you have to revisit maps over and over, you want to get to the point, the monster or the gathering points you need the most, not go through long mazes as in some of World's worst. It kinda seems like that in the video with all the traversal potential and the dog riding on top so fingers crossed...

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think it looks great and looks to be more of how I would personally want the series to go.... so ..... yay for me?!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Just hope the maps are better designed than World and resemble older games more, replacing the loading sections with things like the slides and using the bug to climb over ridges or whatever other shortcuts, it's not an exploration game (even if they're fun to explore the first few timers) when you have to revisit maps over and over, you want to get to the point, the monster or the gathering points you need the most, not go through long mazes as in some of World's worst. It kinda seems like that in the video with all the traversal potential and the dog riding on top so fingers crossed...
I got the same impression (bolded) from the MHR footage. Traversing the map with the grappling-hook and riding the canyne to move along flatlands is straight-up faster than in previous games. Also seems like they will let you scale the geometry somewhat freely in certain areas, so I'm sure favorite shortcuts will emerge. As a lance player, I was kinda spoiled 'cause I could just charge through a map and get there long before anyone else. If the result of these additions is being able to chase down the monster quickly, I'm all for it.

Belmonte

Monster Hunter World has very beautiful maps but there are so many elements, so much noise that they need need to use the kinsects to point the interactables. It was a cool choice but I miss how you can see herbs clearly without the green glow everytime.

Monster Hunter Rise maps are more clean than World but this isn't a bad thing per se. It is easily readable. And considering it is on the Switch, it has very good graphics.

I like how they returned to the more desaturated colors also. Like MH1-2-3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Welcome ! There are plenty of other great games too.
Yeah but I managed to keep my wallet away from this shit for so long:

BotW: played it on Wii U
Odyssey: borrowed my friends Switch
MHGU: REALLY wanted to play this but I wasn’t gonna buy the machine for one game...

But now? Fuck it. So mad.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I like how they returned to the more desaturated colors also. Like MH1-2-3.
On that note, the armors look more like classic MH.

A lot of the high level MHW armors looked ripped straight from Final Fantasy 14, spines and spikes pointing in every direction, not really the sort of armor you'd expect the town smithy to make for you. In previous MH, even most of the "high level" armors still showed rough edges, claw marks, and rivets where the monster parts hook to the human-made parts.

It's a distinguished aspect of the art style that MHW lost a little bit by making things look too clean.

zombrex

Love the Japanese theme and some on the new additions like the mounts, looks like we can actual control them ourselves now. I do think the environments looks very bland and not sure the climbing up walls will be nothing more than a pointless gimmick for the most part. Hopefully they can get it running at a decent frame rate and resolution in docked mode.

MagnesG

Banned
Long mazes plus too much of visual noises.

Top Bottom