• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Announced for Nintendo Switch March 26, 2021

Shaqazooloo

I've only ever played the Demo, for MH3 (?) on 3DS and never bothered to play it proper. The loading zones were kind of a bummer for me but the gameplay was alright if a bit sluggish. This looks faster paced and more open, hopefully I can get into it.

Monster Hunter World has very beautiful maps but there are so many elements, so much noise that they need need to use the kinsects to point the interactables. It was a cool choice but I miss how you can see herbs clearly without the green glow everytime.

Monster Hunter Rise maps are more clean than World but this isn't a bad thing per se. It is easily readable. And considering it is on the Switch, it has very good graphics.

I like how they returned to the more desaturated colors also. Like MH1-2-3.
Hah, and I was just lamenting in another thread (about ten minutes ago) that not enough people consider readability in games when talking about graphics.

And yea, I'm really liking what I've seen in the trailer, besides the obvious framerate drops here and there. I have no complaints about the artstyle and graphical fidelity.

Wow am I excited for this.

I felt that World was moving the series in a direction that was leaving me behind. I consider it the “western” MH, and no matter how I tried to get into it I just didn't like it. This disappointed me because between the older games in the series I have 2,000+ hours sunk in. Seeing MHW achieving so much success caused me to lose hope we would ever get a traditional MH game again.

World changed so many things for the worse for me:
  • Visuals got way way too busy to make it next-gen beautiful" and I ended up feeling like there was too much “noise”.
  • Art style adopted a more bland western look.
  • Music was bland outside of returning themes.
  • Forced story was not interesting and wasted my time. It made trying to play through the game with friends a nightmare.
  • Map design was frustrating to traverse with its snaking paths and “seamless areas”.
  • Monster footprint/clawmark tracking was not engaging and wasted my time. Mindlessly following glowflies turned traversing into a mundane chore.
I am really happy to see a lot of people in this thread who share the same hang-ups with World. I really hope this game is a return to form.

ShinNL

That's a very mobile hunter... *remembers first MH on PSP days*
I would say I'm hyped but at the same time... I didn't justify my playtime in Generations (3DS) and Generations Ultimate (Switch) and skipped World (no PS4 or PC to run it). I wonder if I can still do it.

Graphics... I'm gonna be a devil's advocate but I expected more. Capcom normally has a bit stronger magic. There are some PSP rocks in the environment :messenger_persevering:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well, with how the Switch has been selling in Japan, and as a matter of fact worldwide, it'd be a little vapid of Capcom to not at least try at some point.

I mean hell, the Switch has been selling in a order of magnitude equal to like, a hundred to one in Japan. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Moon swinging is now a feature! Game looks good. Terrain looks really flat though. Yeah, there's areas to use the bug swinging but the monster arenas themselves are mostly just flat. Not that I liked getting smacked when I accidentally jump of a ledge instead of actually doing a proper roll in World but it made for more interesting looking areas.

Tenaciousmo

cvYVv5F.png

Love twitter/ Era is having a meltdown about this as well
> platform on the map

My ps2/PSP is ready boys.

Brazen

Great announcement, one of my favorite series now days. Combat seems to be more fluid like World's and while I thoroughly enjoyed MHGU it was hard going back to it after playing MHW for hundreds of hours, especially as an insect glaive hunter. Also wolf mounts?! Yes! Excited to see more intel on the weapons/monsters. Day one!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I just watched the gameplay demo, very happy they confirmed it's a big open area and we're not going back to the zone-style from previous entries. I'm very impressed how they've transplanted the experience of MH:W into a portable and you can see that lineage everywhere in the game from the NPCs, to the health bugs, to the dogs which they kinda hinted at with the Iceborne riders.

I'm a bit sad that from the trailer it looked like all the dogs were looking very samey so I'm not sure what kind of doge customisation we'll get.

All taken together, I can say nothing but that I am very excited about playing MH:R soon!

nordique

a seamless open world and ability to get around faster is awesome especially the vertical aspect.

This game is going to sell big in Japan.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I thought this was the best announcement in a long time.

And it looks great! Finally a switch game I can look forward to.

Utter shame nothing for this year though but hopefully they can come back fighting next year.

Already 2 monster Hunter games, rune factory 5 and disagaea 6 is already a better list than what we got this year.

Same ol G

Yes yes yes, switch axe all the way baby.
I put a few thousand hours in this series and was waiting for the next title
World was fun for a while but too easy and the drop in multiplayer killed the community aspect of it.
I hope we get rooms again in this version (i'm probably alone on this one)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HELP!!!

I spent parts of my vacation playing Freedom Unite on my phone (with Dual Shock 4). Now that I’m home I want to connect it to the big screen so tried Apple TV? Laggy as fuck. So I went and bought a Lightning to HDMI and hooked it up to my TV and iPhone... and while it was MUCH better than wireless, it still had like a 10 millisecond delay which, out of all fucking games, is impossible to play with in Monhun.

What can I do? I really want to continue Freedom Unite :(

TalentedMrJ

I like the retro PS2/PSP graphical look.

I'm not being funny, I really do. It's how Monster Hunter was meant to be.

I hear you. Got my start with Freedom Unite on PSP Go
Monster Hunter is best when played with local co op. Preferably with people I enjoy.
Had a great group of guys back in the day and sunk over 500 hours into it

Without real life friends it's not the same game for me

As for the graphics, I'm feeling the retro look as well.
But what about a Monster Hunter that takes full advantage of next gen consoles???
My eyes would pop out of my head

Alexios

Banned
Would love if the bows and bowguns (especially the bows though) returned to their pre-World mechanics but I don't imagine they will do that when so many people liked that they just made it into standard f/tps controls when they neutered everything down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow am I excited for this.

I felt that World was moving the series in a direction that was leaving me behind. I consider it the “western” MH, and no matter how I tried to get into it I just didn't like it. This disappointed me because between the older games in the series I have 2,000+ hours sunk in. Seeing MHW achieving so much success caused me to lose hope we would ever get a traditional MH game again.

World changed so many things for the worse for me:
  • Visuals got way way too busy to make it next-gen beautiful" and I ended up feeling like there was too much “noise”.
  • Art style adopted a more bland western look.
  • Music was bland outside of returning themes.
  • Forced story was not interesting and wasted my time. It made trying to play through the game with friends a nightmare.
  • Map design was frustrating to traverse with its snaking paths and “seamless areas”.
  • Monster footprint/clawmark tracking was not engaging and wasted my time. Mindlessly following glowflies turned traversing into a mundane chore.
I am really happy to see a lot of people in this thread who share the same hang-ups with World. I really hope this game is a return to form.

As long as they keep the QOL improvements from World...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We have all pretty much been doing it in the Nintendo Thread but I supposed I could make a dedicated thread for it.
I don't want Nintendo Switch owners to have my fc, just people who are playing MHR. Figured that a dedicated OT would be suitable for a multiplayer / grindfest game like this. The Iceborne OT got 7 pages over the last 12 months.

F31 Leopard

I hope they bring back being able to craft armor spheres and get an armor sphere at regular mining outcrops just like the older games instead of special ones like in world. Also bring back needing monster parts to upgrade armor like in Gen/U instead of only using armor spheres. Gives more reason to fight monsters multiple times and more use for your drops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom