• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Gaming Face-Off: Nintendo Switch vs Apple iPhone 15 Pro

LordOfChaos

The conclusion is pretty expected, phones have been vastly more powerful than the Switch for many years now, and it's seriously showing. In contrast phones are still a bit low on big AAA tier games, but Apple has shown some interest in pitching this with a few recent launches.

The Switch 2 should be a pretty huge visual upgrade especially with DLSS, the Switch is stuck with low resolutions and low filtering quality that's really showing and has been for years

Last edited:

Deerock71

Mild Shock GIF

ReyBrujo

Isn't the iPhone 15 like twice the cost?
Also, comparison uses literally 4 games with racing as main points because controls in racing games are extremely simple (yep, including the GTA section, they only showed the driving gameplay). What about trying a game with a more complex control schema on bare screen?

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Apple Silicon vs a 10-year-old budget SoC. I am shocked. Shocked!

Even the T239 in the Switch 2 won’t be as powerful as the latest Apple Silicon. (But the Switch 2 probably also won’t cost $1300.)

In any case, gaming on an iPhone 15 Pro has been pretty awesome lately. I’ve been working my way through Death Stranding, and it’s a pretty great portable experience.

Kilau

Gold Member
Steam Deck or other portable gaming PC would make a better comparison, have they done that?

I think steam deck vs iPhone 15 pro would've been much better
With games like re4 death stranding

I mean if ur that hungry for clicks make an emulation comparison of androids latest vs steam deck or something

Zathalus

It is an interesting comparison for sure, the Switch is of course much cheaper and older but the iPhone is a general purpose computing device operating with a much smaller power budget and zero active cooling. Not sure why they should even dedicate a segment to the price, everyone knows the iPhone is considerably more expensive then a Switch. This is not a price/performance video, or even a gaming platform comparison video. Just some interesting data for entertainment. They did the same with the Steam Deck vs the iPhone, and obviously the Deck won that one.

reinking

Gold Member
And still for me, an iPhone or any other phone is useless compared to a dedicated handheld such as the Switch.
...and for me gaming on phones has its place. 🤷‍♂️

I have played games on my phone more than any dedicated handheld over the last few years. *Including Switch which is technically a hybrid and not a dedicated handheld.

I think most people miss a point about pricing. Yes, the iPhone (or any high-end phone) is going to be more expensive than the Switch but everyone is going to buy a phone. What happens if the extra costs of buying a dedicated handheld gaming device are no longer needed because the phone is just as capable of providing that gaming experience? I am not saying that will happen, but it is a real possibility and the price comparison becomes less relevant.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
iPhone can get as powerful as they want but for me they are absolutely useless for gaming.

I'm never going to be comfortable playing on touch screen and I'm not gonna waste money to buy controller for it on already very expensive phone.

Most importantly Nintendo has games, thats my entire motivation buying any gaming systems.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I think steam deck vs iPhone 15 pro would've been much better
With games like re4 death stranding

I mean if ur that hungry for clicks make an emulation comparison of androids latest vs steam deck or something
They did a comparison with RE Village.

Went about as you would expect.

...and for me gaming on phones has its place. 🤷‍♂️

I have played games on my phone more than any dedicated handheld over the last few years. *Including Switch which is technically a hybrid and not a dedicated handheld.

I think most people miss a point about pricing. Yes, the iPhone (or any high-end phone) is going to be more expensive than the Switch but everyone is going to buy a phone. What happens if the extra costs of buying a dedicated handheld gaming device are no longer needed because the phone is just as capable of providing that gaming experience? I am not saying that will happen, but it is a real possibility and the price comparison becomes less relevant.
Yeah, each to their own. For me, the price is the least of its problems as a gaming device.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The video starts by asking 'is iPhone a good/better hybrid experience than the switch' and while they carefully avoid saying any concrete conclusion in - actual words - in the end - the video as a whole very clearly states that it's 'Not'.
They describe a clunky, not user-friendly and in many ways limited experience - albeit with more powerful hw than the Switch, but even that increase in power only gets mixed improvements in games.

Ie. if you want a real hybrid alternative - the growing number of PC portables all offer a better experience than the phone, with even more powerful hw and much better access to software to boot.

What happens if the extra costs of buying a dedicated handheld gaming device are no longer needed because the phone is just as capable of providing that gaming experience?
Well that's already 'killed' handhelds once, we're a decade removed from it now. Then again Switch is a hybrid, and competition in that space is all incredibly clunky, even the best of PC handhelds are still miles off in terms of actual user-experience.

reinking

Gold Member
The video starts by asking 'is iPhone a good/better hybrid experience than the switch' and while they carefully avoid saying any concrete conclusion in - actual words - in the end - the video as a whole very clearly states that it's 'Not'.
They describe a clunky, not user-friendly and in many ways limited experience - albeit with more powerful hw than the Switch, but even that increase in power only gets mixed improvements in games.
I agree. That is why I said "I am not saying that will happen...."

diffusionx

Gold Member
The fact that the Switch more than held its own against an iPhone 15 Pro says a lot. iPhone also fared really badly vs. PS4 with games like RE8.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Seems like for the price difference it should have launched in 2015 like Switch. Then again the price difference is the same as Switch has had no price cut, lol. Still you have to wonder how powerful another mere $300 or so Switch 2 (with 1 price slashed finally) can be if that's all $999 gets you today.

Last edited:
Imagine pretending the Switch and the iPhone compete with each other, this is GAF-level market analysis

The Switch is a hybrid game console, the iPhone is a phone

Top Bottom