• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Good point, I would have sworn on my house that Costa was really gonna take it to Izzy and was shocked to see Izzy dismantle him like that. Izzy surprises me, he almost get's knocked out by Gastelum in FOTY, but then easily/boringly sweeps through Romero and Costa. I hate MMA math sometimes.
The media seem to forget that gastelum fight too. Everyone seems to think izzy is some unbeatable super fighter

GymWolf

Good point, I would have sworn on my house that Costa was really gonna take it to Izzy and was shocked to see Izzy dismantle him like that. Izzy surprises me, he almost get's knocked out by Gastelum in FOTY, but then easily/boringly sweeps through Romero and Costa. I hate MMA math sometimes.
costa was not the usual costa that night.

the narrative that he was scared of adegnagna power or counters is absolute bullshit when you just watch his previous fights, he marched forward even after being tagged by romero, hall and bambgose, people who can put you down as easy as israel.

He said that he had a problem the night before the fight and that ufc got notified of that, i usually don't believe to those excuses, but the difference with the real costa was too much that night...

costa was not the usual costa that night.

the narrative that he was scared of adegnagna power or counters is absolute bullshit when you just watch his previous fights, he marched forward even after being tagged by romero, hall and bambgose, people who can put you down as easy as israel.

He said that he had a problem the night before the fight and that ufc got notified of that, i usually don't believe to those excuses, but the difference with the real costa was too much that night...
It def. felt like there was something going on with Costa. I thought maybe the hype and the spectacle got to him. Izzy did a good job of leg kicking the shit out of him too. I was glad I didn't bet money on that fight because I thought Costa was gonna take that all the way.

mxbison

Walking through punches is different than walking through leg kicks, can't take too many of those no matter how tough you are.

Costa's usual approach was terrible for that fight, but probably hard to give up on something that got you to 12-0 and a title fight.

I think Jan has a decent chance against Izzy. Range, grappling, kicks, experience, really solid at everything. Should be a good fight.

mekes

😂

QztTXpf.jpg

GymWolf

I'm the only one convinced that conor is gonna make poirier bites the dustin?! ( :lollipop_grinning_sweat: )

Only chance for poirier is to survive until 3-4 round when conor doens't have the same power and precision.

GymWolf

Conor already beat Poirier so I don’t know why anyone would think he would beat Conor this time
Well:

dustin improved a lot and it's a much better fighter than before.

We didn't see too much of conor to say the same, he didn't even caused damage in the 3 round against khabib while standing for almost 5 minutes and he was demolished by floyd, the only recent win was against the first guy in martial arts history who managed to make shoulder bumps an actual damaging weapon...a fight against a 5 years old child would tell you the same story of that fight...

dustin is not angry at conor anymore and we all know how rushing at conor always ends badly (you think aldo get countered in 15 seconds without lunging like a moron?)

i just think that conor is too smart to call out a guy that has even the 0,1 chance of beating him (if he can chose who to call out outside of a forced title fight against a forced opponent), he knows how a defeat would make his entire brands lose stocks.
it's a stupid ass abstract reason to chose a winner, i know that, i just think that conor knows better.

Also dustin get hits a shitload in his fights and he can't do that against conor in the first 2-3 rounds.

GymWolf

I think poirier is getting knocked out within 2
I think more 1st round.

Onestly? if he gets hit clean by conor's left a couple of times without getting KOed, his chance of victory rise by a fuckload...

He has a hell of a chin and the punch that knocked him in the first fight was not the usual left to the chin, it was a missed punch that reached the back of his head, literally the most damaging place (and illegal) to hit, it was the same with gnagna vs costa, it was not a clean hit but a missed punch that touched the back of the head (maybe not a complete miss but surely not the intended target)

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I think more about 1 round.

Onestly? if he gets hit clean by conor's left a couple of times without getting KOed, his chance of victory rise by a fuckload...

He has a hell of a chin and the punch that knocked him in the first fight was not the usual left to the chin, it was a missed punch that reached the back of his head, literally the most damaging place (and illegal) to hit, it was the same with gnagna vs costa, it was not a clean hit but a miseed punch that touched the back of the head.
Yeah it’s really which is stronger, his chin or connors left hand

GymWolf

Diaz is like Homer Simpson though
dude have you saw dustin's fights? he got hit a lot by people like alvarez, hooker, gaetjie, holloway etc, people talk shit about gaetjie being the homer of lightweights but dustin is not much better...

Against hooker he got comboed by 3-4-5 clean power punches without going down...the guy is almost as freakish as tony and nate imo.

Last edited:

manfestival

Tomorrow's card is fire.
Corrected this because of my error
Holloway vs Cattar = legit
Condit vs Brown = battle of the old guard
Ponzinibbio vs Li = Li has potential and I am cheering for him despite vegas odds being severely against him
Buckley vs Di Chirico = Excited to see Buckley fight. Definitely an up and coming fighter that has so much room for growth.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Today's card is fire.
less than 1 hour to go and on ABC(which I don't have...)
Ponzinibbio vs Li = Li has potential and I am cheering for him despite vegas odds being severely against him
Buckley vs Di Chirico = Excited to see Buckley fight. Definitely an up and coming fighter that has so much room for growth.

Its on tomorrow and on espn+ I think too if u can't watch it on ABC

manfestival

Its on tomorrow and on espn+ I think too if u can't watch it on ABC
Ehhhhhhhh tomorrooooow? I usually end up reading the play by play on sherdog since I get impatient with fights for some reason.

Does anyone of you know when the fights start in europe so i can avoid yt until sunday morning?
I don't know why I was thinking today was tomorrow. The fight is tomorrow at 3pm EST but that is US time... I corrected my post. Been a long week

RNK

Conor is such a bitch, he actually thinks Khabib retired cause he's scared of him? Bitch got destroyed and then he jumped your team lmao. And saying Khabib aint a true fighter for not wanting to comeback to fight the top fighters, bitch you wanted to fight Diego fucking Sanchez.
To be fair, Conor only fought Khabib for the money. He had a LONG layoff and was clearly out of shape. Khabib probably beats him anyway, but lets not pretend that was peak Conor.

Ornlu

Banned
To be fair, Conor only fought Khabib for the money. He had a LONG layoff and was clearly out of shape. Khabib probably beats him anyway, but lets not pretend that was peak Conor.

I'm beyond done hearing Conor talk. He's beyond the point of his mouth writing checks his ass can't cash.

That's his fault, he doesn't get to slack off in his training camp and then use that as an excuse for getting dominated, not that he had any shortage of excuses...
EOLCtbKU0AAzEfD.jpg

RNK

That's his fault, he doesn't get to slack off in his training camp and then use that as an excuse for getting dominated, not that he had any shortage of excuses...
EOLCtbKU0AAzEfD.jpg
I 100 percent agree that he shouldn't use them as an excuse. He put himself in that position no doubt. That doesn't take away from the fact that those variables exist..

Tomorrow's card is fire.
Corrected this because of my error

Was a decent night of fights.

Hype train slowing down for Buckley, it looked like a gimme fight. Tbh I thought the guy he kicked in the head (to get famous) looked better till that happened. This fighter (Di Chirico) had a decent base & made ppl some money.
Ponzi I laughed when he was KOd, he came off as a douche after the 2 fights in South America. Lol.
Maxs fight could have been stopped 3rd round or subsequent rounds. Was like watching Tony v Gaethje, hard to watch & look away.

Last fight in prelims was fun. Heavyweights doing there thing.

Next is weds, then sat 257.

Top Bottom