• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto officially announces Super Mario Movie 2

Most CG animation have been this way, even Disney…..they made kids in mind rather than family.

Migrate movie was the same, vey boring jokes with boring story with very predictable ending.
Choosing between constant reference grabbing and a boring story, I'd rather take a boring story.

I don't think people here will understand why some of us don't really like this first Mario movie until Illumination finalizes that Zelda script. Or does Illumination need to also take Metroid for people to finally get it?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
After it crossed a billion a sequel was inevitable. I hope they do a good job. The first movie was good, but it could have been a little better.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Choosing between constant reference grabbing and a boring story, I'd rather take a boring story.

I don't think people here will understand why some of us don't really like this first Mario movie until Illumination finalizes that Zelda script. Or does Illumination need to also take Metroid for people to finally get it?
I didn’t care for Mario movie either is just felt like any other CG movie with Mario IP.

I personally just sick of these CG movie and when it comes Mario, I rather play them than watch.

RCU005

Super Mario movie was just " Mario References: The Movie". Everything else came second.

Little kids loved it and that must've been Nintendo's goal in the first place, but they should do something with more substance this time.

The first one absolutely shit all over the Disney rubbish that gets pumped out by them these days, so I’m looking forward to this. The kids loved it too.

Chastten

Banned
Super Mario movie was just " Mario References: The Movie". Everything else came second.

Little kids loved it and that must've been Nintendo's goal in the first place, but they should do something with more substance this time.

This is a take I can get behind. I really enjoyed the first movie, but that's mostly because I love all the sourcematerial it took inspiration from. Not necesarily because it was a good movie.

A second movie will need a little more than that to be as succesful.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Shocking that a movie that made $1 billion is getting a sequel.

Nowhere in that video did they say it was a sequel or SMBM2. Just a 'new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros'. They did not say it was a direct sequel. Probably a Peach movie. (trying to be Barbie).

I thought the Zelda Movie was live action? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The first movie was dull and completely uninteresting but I feel that way about the majority of Mario games so I suppose it was on point.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Im not sure how they can do a sequel well considering the amount of references on the first.

I’m sure there are still a few nostalgic Nintendo references they haven’t milked yet.
Rarely seen a post so sour and mean.

The first one was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, if you can even call it a "movie".
People really love hyperbole, huh?

First one was perfectly generic.
In what way? Why is this never explained?

Moses85

Can't wait

Loved the first movie

They made Princess Peach 🍑 HOT 🥵 😍
Nft Lol GIF by HPPRS

Hudo

I liked the movie. And, even though it is a low bar, it's far better than anything Disney have shat out the last 5 years or so.

I feel Animal Crossing could be a good kids movie.

Kokoloko85

Easy money. Nintendo went from almost dead with the Wii U to people loving Nintendo more than ever. They havent failed ever since Switch, everything has hit gold

Do you think the animated films will cumulate into a Smash Brothers movie?

I mean Donkey Kong already shows up in Mario Movie

Maybe in the second movie he's meets with Kirby and Samus

You think Nintendo are trying to do their own "MCU"? With Smash Bros. being the Avengers?
Honestly a while back I thought all of the Disney live action movies could potentially add up to a live action Kingdom Hearts. It would have made them a lot of money years ago.

I can see Smash working if there is momentum.

Nice my son loved this movie. I didn't watch it but just from what I saw it did look like a good movie. Reminded me a lot of the first Shrek movie.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It wasn't
Ehh, they made Peach into a girl boss who’s stronger, smarter, and braver than Mario + has to train his sorry ass. The only reason Mario is involved is because Luigi got captured.

You can tell they were afraid to make her into a damsel in distress even though that’s the entire premise of the Super Mario Bros games.

Ehh, they made Peach into a girl boss who’s stronger, smarter, and braver than Mario + has to train his sorry ass. The only reason Mario is involved is because Luigi got captured.

You can tell they were afraid to make her into a damsel in distress even though that’s the entire premise of the Super Mario Bros games.
Even the original Mario bros movie made the princess a gun toting bad ass. Also it makes sense for Mario to need training considering he’s from Brooklyn and not the mushroom kingdom. In the end, Mario and Luigi saved the day.

Krathoon

It seemed like Donkey Kong Country was on the same planet as the Mushroom Kingdom or is Donkey Kong Country separate from the Kong Kingdom?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Even the original Mario bros movie made the princess a gun toting bad ass. Also it makes sense for Mario to need training considering he’s from Brooklyn and not the mushroom kingdom. In the end, Mario and Luigi saved the day.
Great point, glad they kept it in the same spirit as the 1993 live action movie, truly the benchmark for faithful video game adaptations. Fans would’ve crucified them if they retconned it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everyone knows Mario is huge, but I would never have guessed it would get about $1.4 billion in gate receipts.

According to The Numbers webiste, it is the 16th highest dollars grossing film in history.

(I had to put dollars, since who knows where it ranks in ticket units since ticket prices adjust over time)

Last edited:

Krathoon

Mario fiction is pretty messed up. I mean, they were delivered by stork when they were babies.

Makes no damn sense.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The first one was visual crack cocaine with no story. The second one will be visual crack cocaine with no story.

We need to start a new war on drugs.

MagnesD3

"Dont worry peach, dont be scared, its like a mushroom, I promise its not poisonous, aint that right luigi"

Super Mario Brothers The Movie 2: Green Eggs and Spaghetti.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

People really love hyperbole, huh?

This is no hyperbole. The first movie is just an unbelievably terrible "movie". I know many people have just seen it as a supposedly fun game of spotting mario game references, but it has literally nothing else going on for it. The pacing is so terribly chopped up, things just happend after another without any connection, there is no character development, peach sucks, the story sucks (because there is almost none), most of the jokes suck, the 80s songs they chose were poorly chosen and felt out of place - it all just didn't fit together at all. This abomination of a "movie" felt more like 10 Nintendo commercials cobbled together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom