• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto officially announces Super Mario Movie 2

Cyberpunkd

I’m sure there are still a few nostalgic Nintendo references they haven’t milked yet.
seth meyers who hurt you GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The first movie was incredible. I’m sorry they didn’t go for some obscure IP they keep in their dungeons.

Doom85

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

Maybe I’ll be excited if this time they hire writers capable of telling good jokes and more imaginative scenes. But if we’re talking Illumination, fat chance of that happening. Sucks for the good animators and great voice cast (okay, Pratt was only decent as Mario, but the rest of the cast were solid) that they’re shackled working with such lazy writers.

Emedan

Quite enjoyed the first one so nice.

Nice with Mario Tennis and Mario Golf coming to NSO in just 2 days aswell, played Mario Tennis to death on my GBC.

Paper Mario only 2 months off as well.

Codes 208

I was honestly surprised by how much I liked the first movie. Illumination is the definition of child-pandering humor (safe plotlines, lazy writing, excessive fart jokes, random shenanigans for the sake of random shenanigans, ie: minions)

But the mario movie felt like an honest attempt at making a good dreamworks movie, the only gripe I had was that it felt more like setting the foundation of further stories than focusing on its own. But the many classic references and occasional good jokes and characters (jack black as bowser specifically) made it worth a watch.

StereoVsn

Would love to see a Luigi Mansion Animated Movie from them sometime 👀👀👀👀
That actually could work pretty well in animated movie format. Throw in Mario and do it with some Ghostbusters vibes.

As far as the first Mario movie, I enjoyed it for the references and nostalgia and my kids loved it for just being a fun kids movie plus Jack Black, Mario and Peach’s VA did a great job.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
When I went to the movies, it was one of the best experiences I had... I saw John Wick, Dungeons and Dragons and Mario.

And we wait the for the appearance of Yoshi.

nial

Gold Member
The worst part about the first movie was the fact that grown men were using it for culture warring purposes.
Holy damn cringe.

Last edited:
Movie was surprisingly decent. My daughter likes it also. I'm a bit mixed on Peach's new design. Looks good in the movie once you get used to it but weird in the new game. I'd rather game Peach stay like she always has.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When I went to the movies, it was one of the best experiences I had... I saw John Wick, Dungeons and Dragons and Mario.

And we wait the for the appearance of Yoshi.
I can just imagine them unveiling Yoshi in the trailer, and then a bunch of 40-something man-children shrieking and bawling happy tears because they’re so overcome with emotion.

Then they’ll show a scene where Yoshi shits an egg out of his cloaca and throws it, and the shrieking will be even greater.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I can just imagine them unveiling Yoshi in the trailer, and then a bunch of 40-something man-children shrieking and bawling happy tears because they’re so overcome with emotion.

Then they’ll show a scene where Yoshi shits an egg out of his cloaca and throws it, and the shrieking will be even greater.
Believe me, I went to the movies and thought... It would be full of children and to my surprise the movie had 70% of the audience from 26 years to 55 years old approximately... I was surprised by that... Of course I would go again.

Ok so I just did. Just a matter of finding a (working) download link and watch it, really.

Quite enjoyable, just the right thing to watch on a lonely Sunday afternoon.
Not the biggest fan of Jack Black but he nailed Bowser, Peach is ugly as sin though, loved DK's depiction. I hope the next movie has more Luigi (and Yoshi, but I guess that one's a given considering the stinger).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Awesome. I really liked the movie, and it’s fun to rewatch with my nieces. I hope they get to visit Delfino or Luigi’s Mansion or something!

mystech

Now let’s see them do a live action Metroid movie (or even a Netflix series). Put Florence Pugh as Samus and keep the tone as a space survival thriller.

I’m also looking forward to seeing what they do with Zelda. I wonder if the movie will be its own universe or if they will tie it to one of the classic games or the next upcoming game. Lot of directions they could go.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Great news. It was a fun romp and that's what people want. I am surprised it'll take them 5 years for the new one, they kinda have the pipeline set. So either we are going to new locations, or, I dunno.

This one won't have the easy-mode shield of being the first movie to do things good enough.

I’m sure there are still a few nostalgic Nintendo references they haven’t milked yet.
If the story is not good and they just stick more references in, I'm expecting critics to rip into it.

References that Illumination still have yet to use: Mario Party, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, Mario is Missing, Superstar Saga, Rabbids, Mario RPG, Galaxy(Rosalina), Tennis, Soccer, Basketball, Golf, and Olympics(Sonic crossover)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

Maybe I’ll be excited if this time they hire writers capable of telling good jokes and more imaginative scenes. But if we’re talking Illumination, fat chance of that happening. Sucks for the good animators and great voice cast (okay, Pratt was only decent as Mario, but the rest of the cast were solid) that they’re shackled working with such lazy writers.
Most CG animation have been this way, even Disney…..they made kids in mind rather than family.

Migrate movie was the same, vey boring jokes with boring story with very predictable ending.

Top Bottom