• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto officially announces Super Mario Movie 2

darrylgorn

Shocking that a movie that made $1 billion is getting a sequel.

season 10 episode 22 GIF

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This is no hyperbole.
Given that we live in a timeline where Neil Breen exists and Steven Seagal, if we are talking about quality, there obviously is far worse.

So yes, hyperbole.
The first movie is just an unbelievably terrible "movie". I know many people have just seen it as a supposedly fun game of spotting mario game references, but it has literally nothing else going on for it. The pacing is so terribly chopped up, things just happend after another without any connection, there is no character development, peach sucks, the story sucks (because there is almost none), most of the jokes suck, the 80s songs they chose were poorly chosen and felt out of place - it all just didn't fit together at all. This abomination of a "movie" felt more like 10 Nintendo commercials cobbled together.
Or, shock and horror: The movie was just not for you.

Astral Dog

This is a take I can get behind. I really enjoyed the first movie, but that's mostly because I love all the sourcematerial it took inspiration from. Not necesarily because it was a good movie.

A second movie will need a little more than that to be as succesful.
Nah, i think what made the Mario movie work,just like the videogames, is simple plot and characters

Leave the complex 'plot' for other IP like Zelda

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Oh yeah, this great argument again... simply no.
Yeah, this great argument again because your only rebuttal is that it was objectively ass. And that is hyperbole.

Remember, we have Neil Breen.
It was objectively ass. Anyway, it's pretty hard to convice rabid fanboys otherwise.
I am not even a fanboy of the movie.
I guess the movie was just for you.
Just like dozens of others who enjoyed it for what it was.

I was liking the movie at the beginning, but as soon as the Mario Bros. got separated, and they were in the Mushroom Kingdom, it lost me. Sidelining Luigi for a near flawless Princess with nothing interesting about her-- constantly putting down Mario (the guy who's been saving her for countless games), bad voices for the Kongs (Cranky was unbearable), Bowser being too much of a Peach simp, all Toad's looking alike (reeks of a Miyamoto decision, like what he did to Paper Mario. Bring back Toadsworth!), and even Brian's score with the music left me wishing Mahito Yokota from Mario Galaxy would just takeover, and show how it's done. They didn't do a good job selling the themes that were established early of a Mario who never gives up, or a scared Luigi afraid to stand up for himself.

Here:

I agree a lot with this long video.

For a sequel, stick with the Mario Bros, please. Mario was at his best with Luigi by his side. Movie Peach sucks, she's a prick, humiliate her some and bring her down two notches, and maybe she'll start to be more relatable, someone to sympathize for, and potentially likable beyond the games giving her all her appeal. Bowser lost his mojo early in the first movie. I think he should remain a villain, but end up being a reluctant ally to Mario in a sequel for an interest that ends up aligning the two, for at least 1 movie. Then they go back to being rivals. A villain with a soft side. Or Bowser can be the big bad again, and redeem himself by being far more competent, out for revenge, and more in control of his Peach hard on.

I don't know what can save the Kong's when I just don't want to hear them at all. Keep DK and gang out! Put them in their own movie so I can skip it. Or better yet, just get better voices, man! I much prefer the direction Rareware was going for the character's voice.

Last edited:
For a sequel, stick with the Mario Bros, please. Mario was at his best with Luigi by his side. Movie Peach sucks, she's a prick, humiliate her some and bring her down two notches, and maybe she'll start to be more relatable, someone to sympathize for, and potentially likable beyond the games giving her all her appeal.

They should add a BDSM scene with Peach getting the punishment and Mario giving her that punishment. Oh yeah let Peach have a gag ball in her mouth for good measures.

And nipple clamps

Last edited:
Top Bottom