• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Myers is looking pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisty

You know it's Myers because why the hell else would Dana Carvey be on that list with people that have been relevant in the last 15 years

Razorback

Myers' acting skills really surprised me on that Arnett bit. He turned into a completely different human being.

Sapiens

But I feel like he'd still have a career if he wanted to. His Hollywood exile seems mostly self-imposed.

Flops don't come much bigger than Love Guru - it's a Speed Raver/Ishtar size flop, but written by and starring Mike Myers - it's a very personal public rejection. This was exactly the kind of film Myers wanted to make and it is a character that he felt would be just as loved as Wayne or Powers.

He's done VERY well for himself, otherwise, and he is super talented - so yeah. he's probably just a little gun shy these days about doing something as huge.

Flops don't come much bigger than Love Guru - it's a Speed Raver/Ishtar size flop, but written by and starring Mike Myers - it's a very personal public rejection. This was exactly the kind of film Myers wanted to make and it is a character that he felt would be just as loved as Wayne or Powers.

He's done VERY well for himself, otherwise, and he is super talented - so yeah. he's probably just a little gun shy these days about doing something as huge.

That's pretty much what I meant. I'm sure there are a lot of Hollywood producers still willing to bet on his name. But he took the Lovu Guru rejection pretty badly and that's why we haven't seen him in a while. His name still carries a lot of weight I think.

Still not as terrifying as the Cat in the Hat.

X0V7rBM.gif

bengraven

Myers can act when he wants. He was great in Basterds. Despite expecting his British character to break out in jokes and none come out.

He showed up in yesterday's Jimmy Kimmel and he's pretty unrecognizable, putting a new voice even! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e64HSt6HsJI

And speaking about that... https://youtu.be/cCWkYOeODD4

Love the new character. Defffffinitly some typical mannerisms and the Myers laugh there. Also when he does deep he sounds like Fat Bastard whispering.

Hope this means he's back.

Oh man, that picture scared me OP.

I like Mike Myers, and I'm sad that his career seems to have undergone such a dramatic decline over the last few years. I was reading the Austin Powers script a few months ago and it was surprisingly well written. He deserves to do more stuff, despite his relative missteps.

Really his own doing since he's been seen as hard to work with since the early 90s.

hobozero

I'm honestly impressed with how far Myers is going for a silly TV gig.

Read a rumor somewhere that in addition to the Gong Show's reality showaspect. there is going to be some sort of meta-narrative or story told through Tommy Maitland as the season progresses. Could be amazing if they pull if off.

NYR94

Read a rumor somewhere that in addition to the Gong Show's reality showaspect. there is going to be some sort of meta-narrative or story told through Tommy Maitland as the season progresses. Could be amazing if they pull if off.

They should have Mike Myers on the show appear side by side with Maitland using some effects trickery or a different actor in the Maitland makeup.

Tom_Cody

Watched the Kimmel bit, it's a pretty decent persona all things considered, seems to have gone for a Bruce Forsyth/Bernard Manning hybrid
Pretty sure that's Jim Davidson.
This is such a thinly veiled Jim Davidson parody that he even copied his look.
As an American with no point of cultural reference, it's pretty funny to look these guys up after watching the video of Myers in character. He definitely based Maitland on some combination of those comedians (or at least that archetype), which makes the whole thing even funnier to me.

Zoe

I think the colored contacts were a mistake. The whole thing is already at uncanny valley levels, but that really pushes it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom