• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Myers is looking pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone remembers Mike Myers right? The guy who looks like this?
ww.jpg
The Love Guru himself?
Made a cameo in Inglorious Basterds like this?
Well, he's back and looking better than ever!
Okay, well technically not him, but "Tommy Maitland" is looking damn good.
Sony's reboot, which is being produced for ABC by Will Arnett’s Electric Avenue, has tapped an unconventional emcee befitting the nostalgic talent show. And while no party involved will confirm it, that host is believed to be Mike Myers. In a twist without much precedent, the comedian behind Wayne's World and Austin Powers seems to be going full method for the gig. His name is unlikely to be found on any literature, promotions or even credits tied to The Gong Show. No, the host is technically "Tommy Maitland," an elaborate character created for the sole purpose of stepping into the Gong Show role once famously filled by the late Chuck Barris.

The variety show, which will premiere with much fanfare June 22, is being filled out by an impressive rotation of celebrity guest judges, who will appear as themselves. In addition to Arnett, who will turn up in multiple episodes, Zach Galifianakis, Alison Brie, Andy Samberg, Elizabeth Banks, Joel McHale, Dana Carvey, Will Forte, Jack Black and Anthony Anderson are among the others. Each is expected to praise, critique and “gong” the contestants, as those on the original did some four decades earlier.
“I’ve been a huge fan of Tommy since I first saw his stand-up in the U.K. while traveling as a teenager. He was so funny and original. I had the good fortune to cross paths with Tommy a few years ago and ever since we've talked about working together,” said Arnett, playing into the gag. “I tried for years to come up with a vehicle that was suitable to expose his immense talent on a bigger stage, and The Gong Show is the perfect fit.”

Maitland not only has an extensive backstory but also a wide-ranging social media footprint via @MrTommyMaitland. Highlights of his biography include a teenage stint in the British Army, a cult following in Italy thanks to a collection of spaghetti westerns and a few James Bond knock-offs and numerous past credits hosting other game shows — including the unfortunately-titled Australian project Dingos Got the Baby.

The Gong Show seems to be a return from retirement for the 72-year-old U.K. native, who is the first to admit he's doing the variety show for the money. With a sing-song British accent, "Maitland" spoke by phone about his aspirations, his catch phrases and what he can’t wait to do here in Los Angeles.
Interview at the link as well.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Oh man, that picture scared me OP.

I like Mike Myers, and I'm sad that his career seems to have undergone such a dramatic decline over the last few years. I was reading the Austin Powers script a few months ago and it was surprisingly well written. He deserves to do more stuff, despite his relative missteps.

Oh man, that picture scared me OP.

I like Mike Myers, and I'm sad that his career seems to have undergone such a dramatic decline over the last few years. I was reading the Austin Powers script a few months ago and it was surprisingly well written. He deserves to do more stuff, despite his relative missteps.

Yes, I also recently rewatched it and it holds up if you like that type of humor for sure. When he pulls out that book of how to use the penis pump they absolutely nail it.

i'm down. i miss mike myers.

this old Gong Show looks batshit insane though.

It gets crazier since Chuck Barris also claimed he worked for the CIA during the Gong Show years.

Read or watch Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, both the book and movie are pretty good.

Oppo

jesus. how long has he been sewing the backstory for this character?

it's like Jiminy Glick x10 with a dash of Kaufman

Tom_Cody

Have you given any thought to your Gong Show catchphrase?

Oh, I've had one for years, darling.

Apologies. What is it?

I say, ”Who's a cheeky monkey?" Then the audience goes, ”You are." And I go, ”No, you're a cheeky monkey, and that's why I love you." The other catchphrase of mine is, ”You've got no proof." So, when I say something slightly cheeky, I'll say, ”Well, you've got no proof." My second memoir was titled, ”You've Still Got No Proof."

And your first?

”You've Got no Proof." The third one is in the works, ”Still No Proof." The fourth one will be ”You Might Have Proof But Not All of it's Correct."
”Well, you've got no proof."

Will this become Mike Myers' next iconic catchphrase?

Tregard

Soothsayer
Watched the Kimmel bit, it's a pretty decent persona all things considered, seems to have gone for a Bruce Forsyth/Bernard Manning hybrid

PaulloDEC

I think this is the first time I've experienced the uncanny valley with an actual human being.

Character seems fun, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom