• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wanted to buy Square Enix as part of a plan for a mobile version of gamepass

Unknown?

Not to mention they would have kept games multiplat and not force SE into making mobile games:

LpA6uZC.jpg

Ironically there would have been fewer exclusive deals from SE if the deal had gone through.

Really makes you think.
Source: trust me bro!

No one believes that unless they plan going 3rd party and have gamepads on everything.

Unknown?

You think MS lied… to themselves in an internal document??

Can you explain that cause I’m a bit confused, not going to lie?
They will only do that until they feel the backlash would not be huge. Also if you read that pic you shared it makes no mention of future titles being multiplatform.

Fascinating.

When I posited a future acquisition war and stated if the deal went through, Microsoft would continue to look for more buyouts, I was labeled as "scaremongering".

Now it looks like they did, indeed, want to just buy anyone and everyone. Hm.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
So they wanted to take one of the last AAA Japanese developers, who are renowned and revered in the hobby as, primarily, creators of robust single player story driven RPGS....

....and turn them into a mobile gaming unit? Microsoft's version of Bust a Brick and Candy Crush nonsense? On a subscription based platform?

I think I'm officially a console warrior now.
It said that ONE of the reasons they explored SE was to have their games on a mobile Gamepass. S-E already create shitloads of mobile games. I don’t see anything in those quotes that indicate they wanted to turn S-E into a mobile gaming unit or even increase their focus on mobile beyond what it already is.

Draugoth

Gold Member
This is pretty much non news by this point.

I wouldnt be surprised if they had a document pitching a Sony Acquisition.

So what I'm getting from all this is that they've tried the Sony strategy, then the Nintendo strategy, then went back to the good old Microsoft way of doing business --- acquire everything .

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It said that ONE of the reasons they explored SE was to have their games on a mobile Gamepass. S-E already create shitloads of mobile games. I don’t see anything in those quotes that indicate they wanted to turn S-E into a mobile gaming unit or even increase their focus on mobile beyond what it already is.

Fair enough. I just see "mobile gaming," mentioned anywhere and it largely sets me into high alert, especially with cases like Konami's er...business plan...the last 20 years or however long it's been since they've made games. (I'll count unreleased titles once they're in my skeptical hands)

Also, I mean...

It's Square. As much of a fanboy as I am, they've blundered their way into accidental competence recently, but I could realistically see the Square of even ten years ago slapping a Chocobo on top of Farmville and doing hard drugs with Yakuza prostitutes with all the new free time.

Chukhopops

They will only do that until they feel the backlash would not be huge. Also if you read that pic you shared it makes no mention of future titles being multiplatform.
If you read it you will see it does:
« cannibalizing some portion of game sales on both owned and competing endpoints »

And again, MS wouldn’t lie in an internal document made for themselves.

Unknown?

If you read it you will see it does:
« cannibalizing some portion of game sales on both owned and competing endpoints »

And again, MS wouldn’t lie in an internal document made for themselves.
That only refers to released games and contractually obligated announced games.

Woopah

That is for GP, doesn't state all future releases will be multiplatform.
It says they expect gamepass to canabalize a portion of the sales of future SE games on competiting platforms. Hence those games would be on competing platforms.

Chukhopops

That is for GP, doesn't state all future releases will be multiplatform.
I can’t help you any further, this is plain English. And it’s two sentences ffs.

If the plan was to make games exclusive, it would say so in plain text because this is an internal document, it doesn’t need any subtlety in wording, this is MS talking to MS.

Unknown?

It says they expect gamepass to canabalize a portion of the sales of future SE games on competiting platforms. Hence those games would be on competing platforms.
No it's purposefully worded to make people think that but it is all separate and not actually flat out saying a statement. It's legal speak.

The part about competing platforms ONLY refers to current and announced games. That's it. Being day and date on GP is a completely different subject and cannibalizing on competing platforms is about games already released or pending release. Otherwise they wouldn't have stated ONLY current and announced games would be multiplatform and did NOT make a further statement such as ALL future releases in the first sentence.

Last edited:

Woopah

No it's purposefully worded to make people think that but it is all separate and not actually flat out saying a statement. It's legal speak.

The part about competing platforms ONLY refers to current and announced games. That's it. Being day and date on GP is a completely different subject and cannibalizing on competing platforms is about games already released or pending release. Otherwise they wouldn't have stated ONLY current and announced games would be multiplatform and did NOT make a further statement such as ALL future releases in the first sentence.
They mention competing platforms in the sentence directly after the one where they talk about future SE titles.

They say that having future SE titles on Gamepass would canabalize some portion of the sales on "both owned and competing endpoints".

For sales of future SE titles to be canabalized on competing endpoints, the games have to be released on those competing endpoints.

Last edited:
Top Bottom