• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "There are no changes being made to Xbox Live Gold at this time"

Barakov

Gold Member
Seems like this this has gained enough traction for them to comment on it. We'll see at their next event whether there's a change or not. Given how hard their pushing services I can't see them giving up the revenue from gold.

jimbojim

Banned
I can't see them giving up the revenue from gold.

IMO, they won't rid of Gold just like that if their "netflix for games" service isn't their money maker. It would be insane of MS to drop that much Gold revenue before they have grown GamePass sufficiently

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This appeared on Xbox youtube channel, pretty funny:
T_bv07uaUABofIya9hXJ2iz2li3fjs4_adjGgUoNiUYLKqFYMBasZ03EZADOXf5p1g65ZdGAfF0VLQ=s800-nd

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Microsoft is not stupid , 90 million subscribers paying 59.99 a pop is a lot of ongoing revenue for them

They dont have 90 million people paying for Gold. At the very most its 15-20 mill but that number is very likely closer to 10 million. Sony at over 100M consoles sold only has 45 million people paying for it.

GamerEDM

Banned
Xbox live users aren't subscribers, though.😁
If it is really that many, be sure that in Q reports Xbox would have probably a higher revenue than PSN

your probably right i was always confused by the wording, But free to play is also locked behind xbox live gold on the xbox plat form

NickFire

So? It's not like you can't have more than a year of XBL. You can, MS hasn't stopped you being able to.
Are you just arguing because you need the last word? I told a guy he's right when he said they made a change. You asked what the change was. I said they increased the price if 3 months is the most you can buy now. So what exactly is the point of this question. I never said you could only buy a single 3 month sub. My only point is four 3 month subs cost more than the prior 12 month sub.

Zoro7

Banned
Man what about all the Kudos you got Microsoft? From the people who thought you'd throw away millions in revenue to be pro consumer.

If anyone wants some quality entertainment, Tom Warren is currently acting like a jackass on Ree over this and is subsequently being taken to task.

skneogaf

They should end games with gold or whatever its called and have something going on with game pass.

I forget why you have to pay for online on consoles when you don't on computers?

Maybe have a tier system with gamepass and xbox live and I suppose game pass ultimate.

Xbox live pass = online and exclusive games

Xbox game pass = online, exclusive games and console games from 3rd parties changed after periods of time.

Xbox game pass ultimate = online, exclusive games console and pc, 3rd parties changed after periods of time.

Redlancet

Banned
If anyone wants some quality entertainment, Tom Warren is currently acting like a jackass on Ree over this and is subsequently being taken to task.

Like with all the Microsoft shills on the gaming press (ben Kuchera, Arthur gies,cag guys, etc) these idiots are so full of shit and ego

So like I predicted this was. If you want the usual console experience, console+Gold, it's going to cost you a lot more, now. They want people to join GPU to get any real discounts.

Just "proconsumer MS" at it, again.

John Wick

yes 90 million, but xbox live has been around alot longer and includes xbox 360
"The statistics came as part of Microsoft’s Q3 2020 earnings report this afternoon, and it’s the first time we’ve seen Xbox Game Pass numbers. Microsoft says that gaming in particular “benefited from increased engagement” due to stay-at-home orders. This led to “record engagement,” according to Microsoft communications chief Frank Shaw. Xbox Live also saw nearly 90 million monthly users this quarter. "
90 Million monthly users isn't subscribers to Gold. Its called MAU

Abear21

Banned
Seems obvious they’ll make the change to not have Gold required to play Free to plays like Fortnite.

New gen so new rules but will this just be on Series X or across all Xbox? I’ll go out on a limb and say all Xbox will be drop Gold needed for F2P games. This makes sense why they dropped the 12 mo sub—now they don’t have to refund all the Fortnite addicts!

Vawn

Banned
Seems obvious they’ll make the change to not have Gold required to play Free to plays like Fortnite.

This much is basically guaranteed with Halo going F2P. I still don't believe they're really doubling the price of Gold, so the removal of one-year memberships, has to indicate Gold is going away.

93xfan

Banned
They‘ll probably move the online play part into the base Game Pass tier.

Potential setup:
- Gold -> GwG and online play
- Game Pass -> includes online play (no Gold required, but also no GwG)
- Ultimate -> xCloud and Gold included

This would make a lot of sense

nani17

are in a big trouble
I'm delighted they didn't go through with their original idea. I'm happy the gamers stood up and voiced their opinions on it.

MS have made fools of themselves for this and I personally will not forget them attempting to charge more money when we have a global pandemic for over a year now.

Iorv3th

I'm delighted they didn't go through with their original idea. I'm happy the gamers stood up and voiced their opinions on it.

MS have made fools of themselves for this and I personally will not forget them attempting to charge more money when we have a global pandemic for over a year now.
This thread was only made a few months ago.

How often do Microsoft end up saying this?

Top Bottom