• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft should bring back some of the old Activison Marvel games as BC titles

VulcanRaven

I hope Microsoft brings back some of the old Marvel games made by Activison now that they soon own the company. Now they would only ask permission from Disney/Marvel. I don't even need remasters but that would be great too. Just bring games like Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine back as backwards compatible. Sony could probably block Spider-Man 2 because its a movie based game but not Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ultimate_Spider-Man_boxart.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I hope Microsoft brings back some of the old Marvel games made by Activison now that they soon own the company. Now they would only ask permission from Disney/Marvel. I don't even need remasters but that would be great too. Just bring games like Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine back as backwards compatible. Sony could probably block Spider-Man 2 because its a movie based game but not Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ultimate_Spider-Man_boxart.jpg

Activision lost the license to all those Marvel games. That's why they were delisted. Going to take a heck of a lot more than simply "asking".

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I'd love for it to happen. I just think that ship has sailed, unfortunately. But yeah....anything is possible.
They could also make them disc only so you can't buy digitally. That could be easier deal to make. There are many BC games like that. I hope MS adds more BC games overall.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
'We have reached the limits of our ability to add additional games to the catalog due to licensing, legal or technical constraints' and if they somehow make more games bc, please don't let it be superhero shit.

graywolf323

won’t happen due to licensing

which is unfortunate really, I’m still beating myself up for not having picked up the Ultimate Alliance games on Steam before they were delisted 😑

bender

What time is it?
I'd love for it to happen. I just think that ship has sailed, unfortunately. But yeah....anything is possible.
Phil was on the phone with Tony Hawk this morning demanding that he would teach him how to do a kick flip.

VulcanRaven

'We have reached the limits of our ability to add additional games to the catalog due to licensing, legal or technical constraints' and if they somehow make more games bc, please don't let it be superhero shit.
I'm sure we get more at some point. Dino Crisis 3 would be great so I can finally play it.

Unknown?

A lot of those were movie tie-in trash.... There were some decent ones but most were bad, it's why Marvel wanted someone else than Activision.

VulcanRaven

tell me you dont understand how licensing works without telling me you dont understand how licensing works.
A lot of PS2/Xbox era Star Wars games are backwards compatible and can be bought right now. Companies can always let their old games to be sold.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A lot of PS2/Xbox era Star Wars games are backwards compatible and can be bought right now. Companies can always let their old games to be sold.
You apparently missed the part where Microsoft has ended their BC program. Here is the memo again:

MICROSOFT WILL NO LONGER BE ADDING GAMES TO BC.

Activision no longer has the Marvel license and they’re not going to invest money to make a disc version of BC, that so few will play especially when the discs are no longer available to buy except 2nd hand.

This really isn’t hard to figure out, yet here we are with another thread of someone asking for something they haven’t thought through.

It’s always amazing to me when people ask for things without giving a second of thought to the economics of their requests,

Last edited:

Zannegan

Ultimate Spiderman was pretty great back in the day.

having games pulled for licensing is weird. I mean, the logic behind the practice makes sense, I get how we got here, but the effect for consumers is odd as all getout.

VulcanRaven

Probably the biggest self ownership if MS brings back Spider-Man. The contrast would only diminish the XB brand further.
I don't think so. They are just old games. Maybe they could also release the emulated versions on PS4/5 too.

Last edited:

Goalus

I don't care about Marvel at all. It is a pure snooze-fest.

Heretic
Hexen
Hexen 2
Heretic 2
Mageslayer
Take No Prisoners

They absolutely need to bring these games to consoles.

Last edited:

RoboCain

Was it good? I really liked The Godfather game. They should bring that back too
Yeah, it's great.

Think of an open world third person shooter with deep money laundry management mechanics (for an action game) set in the world of drug cartels. And on top of that the story, characters and setting fits the movie like a glove.

In my book, it feels like a Rockstar game not made by Rockstar.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Yeah, it's great.

Think of an open world third person shooter with deep money laundry management mechanics (for an action game) set in the world of drug cartels. And on top of that the story, characters and setting fits the movie like a glove.

In my book, it feels like a Rockstar game not made by Rockstar.
It was odd that Al Pacino allowed his likeness to be used in that game but not in The Godfather that was also released in 2006.

RoboCain

It was odd that Al Pacino allowed his likeness to be used in that game but not in The Godfather that was also released in 2006.
There probably was an exclusivity clause somewhere.

Funny thing is, Al didn't provide his voice to the game. However the voice actor that got the job instead came up with this slighty more cartoony version of the characters that in the context of the game, just works.

Top Bottom