• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL announced: "Windows Phone is back" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borman

Is it true that the creator of Snapchat has a problem with MS?

As it otherwise makes no sense why Snapchat is not on windows phone. Every other big social media app is there...

The sad thing is there was a decent third party app, but Snapchat doesnt like those either.

Dabanton

The sad thing is there was a decent third party app, but Snapchat doesnt like those either.

Yeah I had it on my old Lumia phone but after that Snapchat scandal they locked down the api. So it got pulled from the store.

Shame as like most of his app's, Rudy's version was superior to the original app.

6Snap by Rudy Hyun. He even offered to rebrand the app for Windows Phone, and then give them the app and source code at no cost. Needless to say, they didn't bite

Borman

8Snap by Rudy Hyun. He even offered to rebrand the app for Windows Phone, and then give them the app and source code at no cost. Needless to say, they didn't bite

Yep :(

The lack of Snapchat isnt enough to keep me away. Lumia 1020 will be replaced with the XL, and I cant wait.

Snapchat (the company) is garbage. While i realize the install base for windows is crap, still no excuse for such a huge app to not make it onto windows.

If small companies / individuals are able to create knock-off apps that work just as well as snapchat i see no reason why the official app developer can't make one for windows. Instead they'd rather focus time on shutting down apps that work just as well as their own... Well done

Leflus

No snapchat for Windows Phone makes me a sad panda. :( It's the only thing that's holding me back from buying a Lumia phone.

MutFox

Banned
As I said, after seeing the dawn of the Panos Era, I'll be skipping the 950 XL and wait for the first Surface smartphone. I keep my phones for years, so there's no reason for me to upgrade yet.

I mean, those are fine devices, but it's all but assured that we will get a veritable Surface Jesus Phone around the same time next year. And it is going to be insane.

Pretty much.
At some point we're gonna get some sweet Intel CPU phones.
Full on PC in our pocket.

RedToad64

What is this about a Surface Windows Phone? Have we ever seen any evidence of anything like that existing? What would the difference be, these Lumias are made by Microsoft now.

What is this about a Surface Windows Phone? Have we ever seen any evidence of anything like that existing? What would the difference be, these Lumias are made by Microsoft now.

The assumption is that, with Panos leading the devices division (including WP and Xbox), we'd see his sexy sleek industrialism seep into their design, as well. It's speculation at this point.

gnexus

I'm in the market for a new phone. I had my eyes on the Xperia Z5, but this thing looks pretty awesome. Much like a lot of others, i'll wait and see how the app support is. The wait for occasional Android ports is bad enough. That dual antenna feature seems cool, since I have T-mobile and I get no service whatsoever at my office. If this could help, I'd be all in.

norinrad

As much as i want this phone, a Nexus 6P like price in Europe is going to push me to buy a Oneplus two or one of those other cheap phones from China. I have no desire to pay 600 euros for a phone, let alone one that would be second rated when it comes to apps.

hwalker84

November isn't good enough. I need an actual US AT&T release date. Anyone have any idea what event we may get that information at? If I find an iPhone 6s Plus Grey 64GB before this I may be off the WP train.

JaggedSac

They announced like 4-5 new universal apps and didn't even touch on the development tools to port apps over to Windows 10. It seems like they're ignoring the issue and I have to wonder if most developers just aren't bothering porting.

They did that at BUILD, you know, the developers conference.

November isn't good enough. I need an actual US AT&T release date. Anyone have any idea what event we may get that information at? If I find an iPhone 6s Plus Grey 64GB before this I may be off the WP train.

Thurrott said Oct 26th on the article he wrote on Thurrott.com

According to the product page,

Cool, wider aperture and bigger sensor than the 930 and 1520. Seems like a good upgrade and will do damn well in low light.

These are lovely, and I really like the style of these and the older Lumia phones. The only reason I left the Windows Phone-scape is because T-Mobile decided not to offer any of the larger screen phones. I had no plans to change my provider for a new phone.

Still, these are quite attractive.

They announced it back at BUILD but we haven't heard crap about it since. As I recall I don't think it was released yet around BUILD so we haven't heard if developers have the tools in their hands by now and if they do are any of them taking advantage of them. They basically announced new tools to get apps for Windows Mobile and since then we've had no indication that anything has changed except with the 3-4 new apps they announced today.

Paganmoon

Thurrott said Oct 26th on the article he wrote on Thurrott.com.

I think 26:th was the date for the Surface pro 4 and Surface Book. No dates were given for the Lumias so I'm guessing Thurrot just used the same date? I mean, why wouldn't they say so at the event if it was the same date as the other products?

JaggedSac

They announced it back at BUILD but we haven't heard crap about it since. As I recall I don't think it was released yet around BUILD so we haven't heard if developers have the tools in their hands by now and if they do are any of them taking advantage of them. They basically announced new tools to get apps for Windows Mobile and since then we've had no indication that anything has changed except with the 3-4 new apps they announced today.

Was just saying this was not a developer focused event.

Was just saying this was not a developer focused event.
My argument is about developers it's about apps. I mentioned the tools because I kind of expected them to say something along the lines like "Since we released our porting tools hundreds of developers have been preparing their apps for the launch of Windows Mobile 10" or at least some kind of acknowledgement that they're attracting more apps to the platform. Instead we just got an "Oh Facebook and Uber are finally coming" and that's it.

nampad

Man, we need good x86 SoCs for such devices. Real windows on such a form factor which can translate to a full pc or used as a Steam handheld with a controller addon.

RM8

Man, they're both almost the same size. How come there's no room for small phones anymore? I honestly would have considered going back to WP with a small, powerful, nice looking Lumia (like my old Lumia 800) but now not even Apple does those. I think I'll go back to Android with the Z5 Compact :[

hwalker84

Thurrott said Oct 26th on the article he wrote on Thurrott.com

Cool, wider aperture and bigger sensor than the 930 and 1520. Seems like a good upgrade and will do damn well in low light.
The phones are just a blanket November. My guess would be late November or they'd have announced the date.

norinrad

It seems Microsoft is way too late, just the lack of interest in this thread says something. People really love their android and ios phones. MS being late to the party again. Its looking like Zune all over again which was a great product.

Zultan

Banned
It seems Microsoft is way too late, just the lack of interest in this thread says something. People really love their android and ios phones. MS being late to the party again. Its looking like Zune all over again which was a great product.

They don't need to sell a billion devices overnight. They just need to gradually increase mindshare. Sort of like the Bing approach. Bing started off as a disappointment and now has a respectable market share and is likely profitable (and works better than Google in many cases too). It was also really late to the party. The Surface is another example. The Surface was declared DOA before it came out. Now it's doing respectable.

So, we'll see how it goes. But I would never call somebody too late to the party. What they DO have to do, however, is be better than the competition. Not just match them. I don't see that yet.

Another thing - Nokia used to produce a lot of phones. Is that still the case with Microsoft, or is it just these two?

kharma45

They don't need to sell a billion devices overnight. They just need to gradually increase mindshare. Sort of like the Bing approach. Bing started off as a disappointment and now has a respectable market share and is likely profitable (and works better than Google in many cases too). It was also really late to the party. The Surface is another example. The Surface was declared DOA before it came out. Now it's doing respectable.

So, we'll see how it goes. But I would never call somebody too late to the party. What they DO have to do, however, is be better than the competition. Not just match them. I don't see that yet.

Another thing - Nokia used to produce a lot of phones. Is that still the case with Microsoft, or is it just these two?

They sold 8.6m phones last quarter. Far from huge.

A couple of questions before I buy the Lumia 950 XL.

Can these phones play flac and mkv files natively like Windows 10 Desktop? If not, is there a program, err excuse me, "app" that can play them?

Can I transfer said files via Disk Mode (without needing to sync or using some stupid cloud drive)?

Can I connect to my other devices (computers, laptops, NAS, etc) via WiFi using some kind of explorer? I would like to transfer files between them all and to my smartphone without some kind of mod or dumb app.

I'm so over Android because Disk Mode is becoming a crap shoot, there isn't anyway to expand storage or upgrade batteries, and they removed WiFi file explorers four or so updates ago. It becoming like Apple.

kharma45

A couple of questions before I buy the Lumia 950 XL.

Can these phones play flac and mkv files natively like Windows 10 Desktop? If not, is there a program, err excuse me, "app" that can play them?

Can I transfer said files via Disk Mode (without needing to sync or using some stupid cloud drive)?

Can I connect to my other devices (computers, laptops, NAS, etc) via WiFi using some kind of explorer? I would like to transfer files between them all and to my smartphone without some kind of mod or dumb app.

I'm so over Android because Disk Mode is becoming a crap shoot, there isn't anyway to expand storage or upgrade batteries, and they removed WiFi file explorers four or so updates ago. It becoming like Apple.

MKV came in 8.1 Update 2. FLAC will be part of W10M natively.

Yes you can drag and drop.

Can't do that via WiFi I don't think.

M3d10n

Yep :(

The lack of Snapchat isnt enough to keep me away. Lumia 1020 will be replaced with the XL, and I cant wait.

You can sideload APKs in W10 mobile, so you can just load the Android version in it. Supposedly Snapchat works.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
There is also the Lumia 550 that's much much cheaper. If you guys are hesitant about the price for 950/950XL, you can always check out the 550 instead. I think it just has a weaker CPU but should be able to do the same thing as the 950/950XL, right ? Correct me if I'm wrong... even I am interested in potentially getting the 550 just to play around with it. I am kind of stuck with the Apple ecosystem for now :p Touch ID for life !

HowZatOZ

Banned
Hell. Yes. Time to ditch this iPhone 6 and get me some sweet, sweet Windows Phone. Can not wait.

Meh, they still need to work on their designs. High end phones shouldn't look this bland.

What exactly are phones suppose to look like? Minimalistic is an amazing look for a phone, and you can't really add whizbang design without it being clunky or strange.

As someone who owns Lumia 735 I have no idea why anyone would want high end windows phone.

The best thing about WP is how great it runs on junk hardware but power users want tons of apps from the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom