• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has apparently eliminated the $1 Xbox Game Pass trial once again, just before the release of Starfield

Unlike Netflix and the others, Xbox games are also sold at retail and on storefronts, providing an alternative way for more revenue.
The cost to produce new first party content is exponentially lower for Microsoft than the tens of billions streaming services spend on content acquisition, production and retention.

Yes, Netflix and other video streaming services have always been such a gargantuan failure of a comparison in terms of finances. Not only does MS put their games out at retail, but they also put them on other platforms and even other digital stores than their own. Netflix and a majority of the other platforms, don't.

Remember, if you listened to console worriers, lots of whom are in the thread already, games like Starfield shouldn't even exist. It's a AAA, single player RPG with seemingly no GaaS elements. GamePass was only supposed to give us A/AA MP GaaS tripe, rushed out to flood the service with a "quantity over quality" selection of games. And even now that we are getting this gem, they're still complaining, because omg MS totes took away the $1 promo option! Like they have in the past and will again in the future. You'll never win against the console worriers and their crystal balls.

Schmendrick

LOL. If all you’re interested in is being able to play a $70 game and only spend $1 you are literally not worth a company wanting to have you as a customer.

There’s no loss here for anyone except you. Go play some free-to-start games on your smartphone.
oh you are suuuuuuch a tough guy for wanting to pay more.
4k0e5e.jpg

Stockholm syndrome much?

Last edited:

Markio128

I’ve just set up the 14-day Gamepass offer in anticipation of Starfield. Other than a reasonable bit of fun with Vampire Survivors, nothing else on the service is peaking my interest, so as long as Starfield turns out as great as I hope, I’ll likely buy the digital version and cancel the sub.

Schmendrick

🙄. Just don’t be one of those entitled people. Pay it or don’t play it, it’s an expensive hobby. That’s just life, man. Deal with it
Wut? I don`t know what other hobbies you have, but gaming is dirt cheap.
Still no reason to ever want to pay more, especially for games you don`t even know if you`re actually interested in, which is what SF is to me. That should just be common sense among consumers.
This "uh you don`t want to pay full priece then you`re not a fan" is just idiotic....cheap offerings are for dipping your toe in if you`re undecided, that`s the whole point.

Last edited:

pasterpl

I’ve just set up the 14-day Gamepass offer in anticipation of Starfield. Other than a reasonable bit of fun with Vampire Survivors, nothing else on the service is peaking my interest, so as long as Starfield turns out as great as I hope, I’ll likely buy the digital version and cancel the sub.

in September alone you have got 5 day 1 games, then forza in October, that’s like £200 at least in games

Yes, Netflix and other video streaming services have always been such a gargantuan failure of a comparison in terms of finances. Not only does MS put their games out at retail, but they also put them on other platforms and even other digital stores than their own. Netflix and a majority of the other platforms, don't.

Remember, if you listened to console worriers, lots of whom are in the thread already, games like Starfield shouldn't even exist. It's a AAA, single player RPG with seemingly no GaaS elements. GamePass was only supposed to give us A/AA MP GaaS tripe, rushed out to flood the service with a "quantity over quality" selection of games. And even now that we are getting this gem, they're still complaining, because omg MS totes took away the $1 promo option! Like they have in the past and will again in the future. You'll never win against the console worriers and their crystal balls.

and people tend to forget about MTX in some of these games, something that Netflix, Disney+ etc cannot do.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
PS plus model may be more profitable for Sony, but GamePass is sustainable for Microsoft and to our benefit. Unless you have stock in Sony or are a straight up shill, there's no reason to be rooting for something that less beneficial to gamers.
there is no way you can say that with certainty. Yet I can say with confidence that when MS is invest 10s of billions into these things and it doesn't produce tons of subscribers that is going to lead to serious problems, where game development budgets are slashed to ultra low levels to where we get very basic cookie cutter games. Halo Infinite supposedly had a $500M budget. Yet it didn't move the needle of subscriber numbers whatsoever. It's math dude.

sainraja

Unlike Netflix and the others, Xbox games are also sold at retail and on storefronts, providing an alternative way for more revenue.
The cost to produce new first party content is exponentially lower for Microsoft than the tens of billions streaming services spend on content acquisition, production and retention.
Hmm 🤔
Disney movies on sale

Last edited:

Chukhopops

there is no way you can say that with certainty. Yet I can say with confidence that when MS is invest 10s of billions into these things and it doesn't produce tons of subscribers that is going to lead to serious problems, where game development budgets are slashed to ultra low levels to where we get very basic cookie cutter games. Halo Infinite supposedly had a $500M budget. Yet it didn't move the needle of subscriber numbers whatsoever. It's math dude.
Lmao this is why this kind of arguments can never be taken seriously.

Also GP gained 7M subs during the year Halo Infinite was released, how do you know it didn’t move the needle? Oh yeah, « confidence ».
Is the way of the entrepreneur to be, anti-consumer?
Did anyone ever promise this offer would be here forever?

Montauk

It is so hilariously predictable that some people would treat a promotional offer as the price of the service.

Good lord lol.

Ozriel

M$FT

Star Citizen has been in development since 2011, 12 years at the point. And yet so far they’ve only put in $600million into the game.

I’d seriously question the sanity of anyone still parroting the “Halo Infinite cost $500m” narrative. It doesn’t make sense, based on development time and benchmarked with other titles.

No idea where you’re manufacturing the tens of billions Microsoft is supposed to invest in GamePass.

that is going to lead to serious problems, where game development budgets are slashed to ultra low levels to where we get very basic cookie cutter games.

😂😂😂😂😂

MacReady13

Starfield shouldn't even exist. It's a AAA, single player RPG with seemingly no GaaS elements. GamePass was only supposed to give us A/AA MP GaaS tripe, rushed out to flood the service with a "quantity over quality" selection of games
Are you trying to say that once Microsoft purchased Bethesda they should've taken this off Game pass? Or are you implying that this game was specifically made for game pass? I don't get what exactly you're trying to say here... Microsoft put this game on game pass cause they HAVE TO! It's their model going forward- all 1st party games go on game pass. I'd love to know if they did have Bethesda before this game was even announced would it have been made??? Cause remember, EVERY 1st party games goes onto game pass day and date of release.

Remember, if you listened to console worriers, lots of whom are in the thread already, games like Starfield shouldn't even exist.
Most people here want Starfield to be a PlayStation exclusive, not because they want to play it, but because they can't enjoy videogames unless other people are not able to play them.

I noticed a sharp decline in hype over BG3 from the usual suspects once MS dropped the parity requirement, curious why that happened.

Tell that to those who had hundreds of thousands of points but couldn't redeem them because they were restricted. I try not to hoard too much points and spend them. People have been banned for even using the same searches everyday.
How does one get hundreds of thousands of points? Unless you're gaming the system somehow with scripting etc... In that case good, you and whoever else deserves to be banned..

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Seems like a red flag and shows low confidence in Starfield's ability to impress customers enough to buy it, or subscribe to game pass after 14 days to keep playing it.
Yeah its that and not them thinking why give it away for 1 buck when we can get 10.

Are you trying to say that once Microsoft purchased Bethesda they should've taken this off Game pass? Or are you implying that this game was specifically made for game pass? I don't get what exactly you're trying to say here... Microsoft put this game on game pass cause they HAVE TO! It's their model going forward- all 1st party games go on game pass. I'd love to know if they did have Bethesda before this game was even announced would it have been made??? Cause remember, EVERY 1st party games goes onto game pass day and date of release.

Yeah, it gets hard to understand what someone is saying when you cut out the first half of a sentence and then reply to the second part without any context. So your confusion isn’t surprising.

Crayon

Oh they would have had a record number of $1 subs and cancels. They've bought a great game so this is their chance to get some full price subs.

Most people here want Starfield to be a PlayStation exclusive, not because they want to play it, but because they can't enjoy videogames unless other people are not able to play them.

I noticed a sharp decline in hype over BG3 from the usual suspects once MS dropped the parity requirement, curious why that happened.
Maybe because MS did something not stupid that day, then there’s no reason to complain anymore? I mean, sure people complain a lot about the green box, but most of it is completely deserved.

MS has to really step up and start making the right decisions. You can’t blame people for pointing to the flaws. If Sony did a bunch of stupid things I’m sure they’ll also be called out on this forum.

Unfortunately though it seems that out of the 3 big players there’s only one that fails consistently, big time, on an almost weekly basis, be it crap games, unkept promises, or Phil giving another nothing saying interview.

Complaining about a 1 dollar Gamepass is absurd though, if you want quality you should pay the full price for it and let MS release great stuff. I am pretty amazed tbh about how long this 1 dollar offer is already here.

How does one get hundreds of thousands of points? Unless you're gaming the system somehow with scripting etc... In that case good, you and whoever else deserves to be banned..

What are you talking about? You get them over a long period of time without ever spending any of your points.

Last edited:
I signed up for PC game pass for $9.99 to play Starfield. I am not a fan of the game and lost interest. I purchased Cyberpunk on sale instead.

I just went to cancel my game pass sub and it offered me a full refund even though I only have a few days left of the month left.

So it's still basically a free trial I guess.

Top Bottom