• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has apparently eliminated the $1 Xbox Game Pass trial once again, just before the release of Starfield

ea459458-b470-441b-9d50-7d86395bb81a_text.gif

Tell that to those who had hundreds of thousands of points but couldn't redeem them because they were restricted. I try not to hoard too much points and spend them. People have been banned for even using the same searches everyday.

bender

What time is it?
Tell that to those who had hundreds of thousands of points but couldn't redeem them because they were restricted. I try not to hoard too much points and spend them. People have been banned for even using the same searches everyday.

I just told them. Now what?

I mean...yeah? Sony and Nintendo would do the same if they had a Game Pass.

I don’t agree with the premise that Nintendo would ever, ever do anything remotely similar to a Game Pass subscription model of selling brand new first-party games into a sub instead of making people pay the $60-70 upfront. Lol.

Not unless their core business model drastically changes and they no longer require high margin software sales to sustain their profits in order to seed money for more hardware and more games.

Msoft can afford to give things in their gaming segment away for free. They have Windows and Azure. Lol

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Spanish forums are mucho mad about this.

The amount of dick licking Microsoft, Xbox and Phil Spencer were getting was mad among the spanish and latin-american guys. They expected the usual, make a new account the day Starfield released, get the PobrePass 1$/1e and profit.

Now they're enraged they will have to pay more for their PobrePass.

What did you expect, kiddos? That with the amount of dick licking you were providing your overlords somehow they wouldn't end coming in your mouths?? 😅

Nonehxc

Really? Where did you get 3 yrs of gold at <£80 in the UK? That sounds like a real bargain.
Cheap UK Gold codes pages don't have to be UK located, it's easy to find many shops that carry them. Then when you input them, they offer you the conversion 30 days Gold✓20 days GamePass Ultimate. Before it was day for day, but since the conversion is ending soon(I think September 1), I just topped my GPU till 2026 that way.

Last edited:

Montauk

Really stupid behaviour from people treating a heavily discount promotional price as THE price of the service and then getting annoyed when it’s withdrawn.

But that’s the problem with offering that promotional price; I had worried it would cause people to act this way.

No. It's purpose it to generate a profit and keep people subscribed to their service. $14.99 a month comes out to $180 a year, which is no longer a good deal if you ask me considering you wont own those games when the sub expires. Netflix, and other streaming services have all lost subscribers. How MS expects to gain subscribers and make this sustainable AFTER investing $70B into it is beyond me.
Then you don't have to use it. You can also go and buy the games outright. Microsoft gives people the choice. You can use a subscription service, or you can buy them outright. Everyone's a winner.

I really do appreciate the concern that Sony fans have for the finances of one of the richest companies on the earth. I have no doubt they will read your post, realise the error of their ways, and revert back to the old way of doing things.

I also have faith that after reading the other threads on GAF created by Sony fans the will also sack Phil Spencer, pull out of ABK, release all their games on PlayStation and reconsider the folly of being in the console hardware buisness.

Certinty

Really? Where did you get 3 yrs of gold at <£80 in the UK? That sounds like a real bargain.
CDKeys have 3 months for £5.99. You can only buy two in one order but I just made six separate orders so that came to like £72. That gave me 3 years of Gold.

Then I just bought a one month’s Game Pass Ultimate code for £7.79 or whatever.

Then it gave me one additional month for leaving on autorenewal so it came out to 26 months for under £80.

The 2:3 conversion for non-GPU members is insane.

Then you don't have to use it. You can also go and buy the games outright. Microsoft gives people the choice. You can use a subscription service, or you can buy them outright. Everyone's a winner.

I really do appreciate the concern that Sony fans have for the finances of one of the richest companies on the earth. I have no doubt they will read your post, realise the error of their ways, and revert back to the old way of doing things.

I also have faith that after reading the other threads on GAF created by Sony fans the will also sack Phil Spencer, pull out of ABK, release all their games on PlayStation and reconsider the folly of being in the console hardware buisness.

Bro what makes you think it's just Sony fans who question the sustainability of Game Pass? And MS only got to their market valuation by using aggressive, anti-competitive practices to get business deals with the biggest CPU, GPU & OEM computer makers in the '80s and '90s to make them the defacto OS in PCs and businesses. Then they used those same tactics with their business software with all the money gained from Windows, after they already made competitors like Lotus extinct. Then they used all that money again for cloud/Azure.

Xbox has done shit-all in getting Microsoft anywhere near the money they have today, so yeah it's normal to question how a division that accounts for so little of their revenue and profit can continue sustaining a subscription model that had lots of Dollar General-tier pricing options for consumers. The answer is it can't, not if they want to start making real profit, so they're gradually getting rid of the super-cheap sub options.

I guess this means the growth period for the service is over; now comes the revenue/profit period.

Ozriel

M$FT
New COD releases? No, they will not be Day 1 in Game Pass. But if you're right and they do, I would personally say anyone buying those games Day 1 on the other platforms fools. COD isn't really the type of game that's timeless, or adds much to a collection, or something most people will replay multiple times years later.

It's not like a GOW Ragnarok or TOTK in that respect. So I wouldn't get the idea of buying them annually vs. just subbing to Game Pass for even a month to play the campaign and drop it after the month.

This is silly talk. We just had older COD titles rocket up the charts in July NPD when they were boosted via BC.
People still go back to play COD titles multiple years post release.

Good for Microsoft, bad for customers. Productivity software going to a sub-based model sucked because at least in the past you could buy versions of those products for sale, and sometimes older versions provided better implementation of features than newer ones. But again, at least with productivity software, the subscriber makes their own income off its use, so they're getting something back for their money that's material and useful elsewhere.

Subscription-based entertainment was always a weird idea in concept; you get entertainment in return, yes, but the rate of that depends on the medium. Multi-game subscription services genuinely don't make a lot of sense because the average game will take multiple hours to play through and with largely undivided time (you can't really do chores or cook while playing an intense AAA game, for example).

The average person may not even play through more than 3 AAA games a year. On the surface a gaming sub service looks like it'd cover that, but they could've just as easily bought those games on sale and played them throughout the year at a cheaper price. Multi-game subscription services are useful for people who probably just dip their toes into a lot of different games but don't really finish most any of them.

Tell this to all the people happily playing games off GamePass and PS Plus Extra.

I know that. EA does for their titles, but it's just the first 10 hours of the games. Other 3P do things similar to what MS are doing, yes, but I'm just bringing up the fact MS are doing it because they realize Day 1 (actual Day 1) AAA game releases into a multi-game subscription service, at least with their current data, doesn't work.

Are you now a MIcrosoft Insider? now you know why Microsoft are taking business decisions? Where did you get their current, internal data from?

Pulled that out of thin air, I’ll bet.

Let’s try to keep these conversations honest please.

Not if you want to maximize revenue off those games.

They’ve made it clear they want to maximize revenue from their games via GamePass and retail sales.

It's all nicey nice, until the time comes when they can actually make money from one of their games. Even the early access is a way to get GP subs to pay more.

Forza Horizon 5 has sold millions of copies on Steam alone, including one million paid purchases in the early access period. Sea of Thieves sold 6 million on Steam alone. Starfield is on track to sell a lot of copies.

You think the people purchasing these aren’t paying with money?

Early access isn’t just tied to sub services. WB used the same strategy for Hogwarts Legacy and Mortal Kombat 1. Failed games, too?

Ozriel

M$FT
💯

I think subscriptions (including Disney+) work well as low-priced back catalog options. I don't think they're sustainable if driven by new content.

Unlike Netflix and the others, Xbox games are also sold at retail and on storefronts, providing an alternative way for more revenue.
The cost to produce new first party content is exponentially lower for Microsoft than the tens of billions streaming services spend on content acquisition, production and retention.

pasterpl

In September alone we have got 5-6 day 1 games on game pass, value well over £100 and people complain about them removing £1 trial. Concern is real.

I don't think the game itself seems anything mind-blowing, but it was always going to sell some decent amount of copies simply by virtue of the studio making it.
Will wait for similar comment from you about next Sony exclusive eg. Spider-Man 2 Which is literally more of the same, and nothing mind blowing.

Chukhopops

In September alone we have got 5-6 day 1 games on game pass, value well over £100 and people complain about them removing £1 trial. Concern is real.
The entitlement is real, does everyone complain whenever a promotional offer ends? My guess is it will be back around the Holiday season, and considering the current lineup I doubt sub numbers will be particularly affected.

NickFire

Two weeks is enough for determined people to finish the main story. Can’t blame them for not giving the game away for $1.

JackMcGunns

Bullshit. How many AAA games games would you have bought from MS that are exclusively available only on Xbox? Starfield is literally their first big exclusive that isn't Forza. $180 equals about 3 games. MS has never had anywhere near that amount of content in over 10 years to justify that

You talk about fantasy numbers? If you bothered to read my post I said that having AAA games on that service is what I think is not sustainable. I feel the Gamepass Core model is a much better model. THey should adopt the PS Plus Extra model, where they have a ton of games, but the AAA games go to that service 6-12 months down the line. Sony is proving that model is sustainable and aren't being denied the revenue from Day 1 releases. And yes, revenue DOES matter.

PS plus model may be more profitable for Sony, but GamePass is sustainable for Microsoft and to our benefit. Unless you have stock in Sony or are a straight up shill, there's no reason to be rooting for something that less beneficial to gamers.

Last edited:

sainraja

The $1-dollar option was a promo anyway. It was never going to stay — even the ones fanboying about it knew it was going to end at some point. It will come and go, or we might see other versions of similar promos.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Did you really think Todd's gonna let you play his magnum opus for $1 ?

kisspng-todd-howard-ta4il6.png

You can however play it for 12.99

With new games costing upwards of 90 dollars after conversion and tax in Canada now, still a crazy bargain to play something like Starfield. I'm half surprised they didn't use it for a gamepass price hike, has to happen at some point.

Mattyp

Gold Member
COD is not going to Game Pass Day 1. Unless you mean Day 1 "for the service" when it otherwise is available a month ahead of that from Premium Access, like a supercharged version of what they're doing for Starfield. In which case, yes, I'd agree.

Shits definitely going day 1, it’s why Sony is so against this deal. Signing a contract so CoD still drops on PlayStation they had no interest in, because they know Gamepass will convert players. Specially those players that just buy these boxes for CoD & FIFA.

Of course they did! They’re not dumb enough to let people play friggin’ Starfield for 2 weeks and only pay $1.

Xbox isn’t a charity. No question Nintendo and Sony wouldn’t let that happen either, my man.

Last edited:
You can however play it for 12.99

With new games costing upwards of 90 dollars after conversion and tax in Canada now, still a crazy bargain to play something like Starfield. I'm half surprised they didn't use it for a gamepass price hike, has to happen at some point.

They literally just hiked prices in July, after holding price for 5+ years. No doubt in anticipation of a boon in subs ahead of Starfield and Forza.

And just like that I lost interest in playing Starfield.

LOL. If all you’re interested in is being able to play a $70 game and only spend $1 you are literally not worth a company wanting to have you as a customer.

There’s no loss here for anyone except you. Go play some free-to-start games on your smartphone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom