• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired Esports Platform Smash.gg

"Online video game events platform, Smash.gg, has announced it has entered an acquisition agreement with Microsoft. The company, rooted in tools to host and support esports events, reportedly looks to join Redmond for an undisclosed sum, further bolstering its gaming presence alongside the Xbox brand. Smash.gg announced the deal via its official website. We've reached out to Microsoft for confirmation, although it did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Bkdk

Hopefully they will successfully make age of empires into a popular esports title, there are more pros than ever that can make OK money by playing AOE2 right now as the community sponsoring many tournaments.

The FGC is dead. SFV and Corona killed it.
eINue6S.gif
So the F-G-C won't let me be or let me be me so let me see
YHq2wr0.gif

YHq2wr0.gif
They tried to shut me down on S-F-V
YHq2wr0.gif

YHq2wr0.gif
But it feels so empty without me
eINue6S.gif

Last edited:

silentstorm

If it's Esports based, i wonder if it's to start tournaments that mainly use Xbox and PC for games?

I would say i hope they remember Killer Instinct exists and try to make a new tournament but i doubt it, my bet is that for multiplat games, they will force the Xbox versions to be played.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Do they have some tech, which MS can suck from this page and then shut it down?

silentstorm

Hmmm I'm wondering if MS is going to offer this as a service to game pass members for certain competitive games?
That wouldn't be such a bad move, a few games on GP have competitive scenes or would benefit from this purchase, Killer Instinct being a fighting game, for one example, would obviously benefit from this, it's such a great idea that...maybe Microsoft won't do, they don't always do the obvious smart choices.

FeldMonster

According to Brad Sams, he reached out to Microsoft, who stated that this is for content for MSN.com, not for Xbox.

Top Bottom