• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has acquired 3̶ 5 more studios

What studios has Microsoft acquired?

• Asobo

Votes: 151 34.0%
  • Avalanche

Votes: 117 26.4%
  • Crytek

Votes: 267 60.1%
  • SEGA

Votes: 143 32.2%
  • Techland

Votes: 87 19.6%
  • Moon Studios

Votes: 79 17.8%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 54 12.2%
  • IO Interactive

Votes: 121 27.3%
  • Kojima Productions

Votes: 104 23.4%
  • Focus Home Interactive

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • Playtonic

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • Bloober team

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • NetherRealm

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Rocksteady

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Warner Bros.

Votes: 13 2.9%

• Total voters

Zeroing

Banned
Do they really need more studios?
23 should be enough if they have a decent release schedule between each other.
1 ring to rule them all!

middle earth shall not be the same again!

now seriously ( kinda )

maybe they want more in case they mess up management in some of the studios, so they still end up with some studios?

you know, walking down the road, some eggs break, you still have some eggs left when you arrive at home!

4782516-9395789506-6QNmP.gif

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
One of my friend's favorite movies lol. Need Phil super-imposed over Arnold in that gif though.

Stuart360

Very consumer friendly if true. What doesn't surprise me is seeing people both attack a timed exclusive and defend a company buying a whole studio.

Thing is, they can buy all the studios and will still be producing gamepass shovelware.
Suxh as?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Do they really need more studios?
23 should be enough if they have a decent release schedule between each other.
What are you crazy? They don't need games or a release schedule.... If they own all the studios then no one can possibly have games and Xbox "wins" by default. Get with the program.

pizza eating GIF by TLC Europe

they are about to have a massive wave of games 🌊

MachRc

I can't stand Major Nelson, his voice makes me want to break something. Eastwood on the other hand has that really nice, calm voice, he's a bit too dramatic at times, but I'd love to see him replacing Nelson.

I met Major Nelson at Gears launch in Universal Studios with Cliffy B long long ago. Ive got major respect for him.
He's been doing this for a long time.

but as a fan
I hope to see Colt get a job with MS.

Like you I see that trajectory

I havent seen any of his new podcast though as i am loyal to the xbot oriented RDX haa,

but its really good to see Colt catapult himself from that to his own thing.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Very consumer friendly if true. What doesn't surprise me is seeing people both attack a timed exclusive and defend a company buying a whole studio.

Thing is, they can buy all the studios and will still be producing gamepass shovelware.
if to me to play the timed exclusive cost 80 euro and not 9.99 dollars ..and if to play it I must necessarily have the proprietary device that who publishes the game sell ....... yes, in that case it is much better Gamepass

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When you go in for the kill you don't hold back
If they want to go for the kill, they have to buy Rockstar and Ubisoft. GTA going xbox exclusive will just crush everyone's spirits. And Ubisoft is just a very productive albeit mediocre studio. PS relies on their output every year multiple times a year to fill in the gaps between their exclusives.

Never gonna happen but if they want to go in for the kill, buying has been studios like Crytek and smaller studios like Bluepoint, and KojiPro wont do. It will make Sony bleed. I will cry. Gaf will die. Mod of War will resign, but wont kill sony. Rockstar is the key.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Playtonic could be a goer. Small studio, probably have to chase publisher funding all the time. MS could ease any financial issues they’d ever have and they’d also get a productive small studio making platformers. The Banjo-Playtonic rumours would be annoying as fuck though... unless they’re already developing a Banjo game and it’s been under wraps. Impossible Lair did come out in 2019...

There have been rumours over the past 18 months that they had been acquired (they shot it down) and that they were making Banjo (they shot it down) maybe someone within getting leaky leaky?

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

If they want to go for the kill, they have to buy Rockstar and Ubisoft. GTA going xbox exclusive will just crush everyone's spirits. And Ubisoft is just a very productive albeit mediocre studio. PS relies on their output every year multiple times a year to fill in the gaps between their exclusives.

Never gonna happen but if they want to go in for the kill, buying has been studios like Crytek and smaller studios like Bluepoint, and KojiPro wont do. It will make Sony bleed. I will cry. Gaf will die. Mod of War will resign, but wont kill sony. Rockstar is the key.
Chill out, was a joke ....

Giants like Google and Amazon are in the game now, Tencent , and whoever else mega corps are getting involved with gaming.
Microsft gobbling them up keeps them away, and keeps the games coming to PC and console in Xbox, not some streaming app.

Bollocks. Somebody always point out the upcoming threat of Amazon and Google, when MS is working at consolidating the industry right now. Those who are old enough remember their seek and destroy strategy in the 90s...
Meanwhile, at Sony: "Organic growth! We are grooming these developers so that they may or may not join us by 2050...Oups! ". 😂😎

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Hopefully Sega is one of them. Fatlus games on gamepass day 1 instead of insane bullshit like smt3 for $60 in 2021.

Riky

$MSFT
Playtonic could be a goer. Small studio, probably have to chase publisher funding all the time. MS could ease any financial issues they’d ever have and they’d also get a productive small studio making platformers. The Banjo-Playtonic rumours would be annoying as fuck though... unless they’re already developing a Banjo game and it’s been under wraps. Impossible Lair did come out in 2019...

There have been rumours over the past 18 months that they had been acquired (they shot it down) and that they were making Banjo (they shot it down) maybe someone within getting leaky leaky?

There has been a lot of Banjo talk recently and Rare doesn't seem to want to do it so this makes sense.
Bring on the Banjo shirt at E3 Phil.

Corndog

Banned

Because in one case you own the studio. In the other you don’t and are just paying a fee to keep it off the other machines. But it’s all legal so we have to live with it.

PSlayer

As long as it's not a big japanese company(Square,Capcom,Konami,Sega) everything is okay.

Pls don't be FROM. MS would kill the souls genre

Top Bottom